PDA

View Full Version : Classic audio speaker will upgrade any JBL driver ? who are they

dino
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe I been away to long from hi-end audio. but does any one know of this company. They clame they can take any jbl driver up grade the magnet to beryllium

dino
06-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Maybe I been away to long from hi-end audio. but does any one know of this company. They clame they can take any jbl driver up grade the magnet to beryllium

classicaudioloudspeakers.com

HCSGuy
06-06-2012, 12:48 PM
They are not upgrading the magnet. They are simply replacing the factory diaphragm in classic JBL 2" throat large format compression drivers (375, 2440, 2441, 2446, plus I assume they'd be happy to sell diaphragms for the 1.5" variants), and can recharge the magnets on the Alnico versions (375, 2440, 2441). The Beryllium diaphragms are made by Brush Wellman and are widely available.

grumpy
06-06-2012, 12:59 PM
IIRC, they also had a field coil conversion.

dino
06-07-2012, 03:25 AM
They are not upgrading the magnet. They are simply replacing the factory diaphragm in classic JBL 2" throat large format compression drivers (375, 2440, 2441, 2446, plus I assume they'd be happy to sell diaphragms for the 1.5" variants), and can recharge the magnets on the Alnico versions (375, 2440, 2441). The Beryllium diaphragms are made by Brush Wellman and are widely available.
Thanks . Has any one had a chance to listen to any of there speakers

JBLGUY
06-07-2012, 10:05 PM
My buddy heard some in a JBL 2445 and said it for sure sounded better and went higher. Sounded better in all ways he thought. It was a side by side too with identical horns so it was easy to compare. For what it's worth.
So I guess they are a good alternative if you can't get an original diaphragm. But would you guys be happy with your precious JBL's not being "whole"??? Huh Would ya?
Plus much better than after market cheapies which never sound like a JBL original diaphragm.

Thanks

1audiohack
06-07-2012, 10:26 PM
There are many here that have the Brush Wellman berylium diaphragms in our stuff. I liked my original pair enough to buy two more pairs even though I use super tweeters in two of the three systems they are still a plus. :)

dino
06-08-2012, 04:28 AM
I called classic audio loud speaker to see how much it would cost to up grade my LE175 and 075 to beryllium diaphram but no answer. any one know if jbl could do this up grade. And how much would something like this cost. thx
PS- is it worth it can u really hear a difference

dino
06-08-2012, 04:37 AM
just thought of this . If i can get my drivers change over to beryllium diaphram do i have to make any adjustment to my xover ?:blink:

hjames
06-08-2012, 05:11 AM
I called classic audio loud speaker to see how much it would cost to up grade my LE175 and 075 to beryllium diaphram but no answer.
Any one know if jbl could do this up grade. And how much would something like this cost. thx

if I recall, the Be phrams are stupid expensive - but they are supposed to be all and everything for knowing ears ...
I don't think JBL has gone this route yet, especially for older drivers. I believe its just that aftermarket company ...

dino
06-08-2012, 06:23 AM
if I recall, the Be phrams are stupid expensive - but they are supposed to be all and everything for knowing ears ...
I don't think JBL has gone this route yet, especially for older drivers. I believe its just that aftermarket company ...
check on line just to get an feel on how much beryllium diapharm cost -jbl 2441 1500$:eek:
:jawdrop::shocking:

Mr. Widget
06-08-2012, 06:51 AM
If you do some basic searches on this forum for Brush Wellman, Truextent, and beryllium you will find numerous threads describing these diaphragms and how they are being used by many here on this site. They are readily available from Orange County Speakers for $600 per diaphragm.

Widget

dino
06-08-2012, 07:47 AM
If you do some basic searches on this forum for Brush Wellman, Truextent, and beryllium you will find numerous threads describing these diaphragms and how they are being used by many here on this site. They are readily available from Orange County Speakers for $600 per diaphragm.

Widget

Thanks Mr. Widget 600 is much better than 1500:D

edgewound
06-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Widget

Brush Wellman is the company that makes the JBL OEM Be diaphragms...yes they're expensive.

Mr. Widget
06-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Brush Wellman is the company that makes the JBL OEM Be diaphragms...yes they're expensive.Actually they only make the diaphragm domes... JBL still winds the coils and manufactures the complete diaphragms, for JBL labeled product. Brush Wellman changed their name a while back, but that is another story. The truextent diaphragms are made entirely by Materion Electrofusion, formerly known as Brush Wellman.

HCSGuy
06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
I called classic audio loud speaker to see how much it would cost to up grade my LE175 and 075 to beryllium diaphram but no answer. any one know if jbl could do this up grade. And how much would something like this cost. thx

1. Orange County Speakers sells the diaphragms for $600 EACH - you need two.
2. Beryllium diaphragms are not available for either of your drivers - only 4" compression drivers. - you've got a 1 3/4" diaphragm'd LE175 with a 1" exit and a ring radiator (075)
3. Yes, they sound different and if you're trying to stay with the stock JBL sound, stay with the stock diaphragms.

dino
06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
1. Orange County Speakers sells the diaphragms for $600 EACH - you need two.
2. Beryllium diaphragms are not available for either of your drivers - only 4" compression drivers. - you've got a 1 3/4" diaphragm'd LE175 with a 1" exit and a ring radiator (075)
3. Yes, they sound different and if you're trying to stay with the stock JBL sound, stay with the stock diaphragms.

Thanks for your input! Will the sound change that much? Is it more laid back more open or less detail . What benefit sound quality wise will jbl drivers have if I up grade to beryllium. Question Le85 and Le175 both have a 1 inch throat and use a 1 3/4 diaphram. If this is true classic audio loud speaker have a beryllium 1 inch diaphram that can fit both the Le175 and 075. Has any one had there 2440-2441 replace with an 4 inch beryllium diaphram and love the way it sound.

Robh3606
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your input! Will the sound change that much?

Well before you invest in them I suggest you hear a pair. I think they are worth it and both my set-up use Be diaphragms. There are plenty of people who have used them there should be someone close to you so you can hear a pair and decide for yourself.

Rob:)