PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Thread continues

hjames
06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
DAMN DAMN DAMN - this post had PARAGRAPHS when I first loaded it ... Forum software is BROKEN!!

This thread started with a pair of beater 4320s I got off ebay and drove to a Philly suburb for way back in 2006 http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?9796-4320-Project

I added some 2050 cabinets and tried to upgrade them to "discrete 4 ways" along the way, and moved them into L200 cabinets that turned into a secondary home system when I found a great deal on a pair of actual JBL 4341 Studio Monitors being sold off by a recording Studio in York PA. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?16263-Looky-What-I-just-got-4341-Monitors

That system grew and was modified into a biamp config, at one time nearly the whole room was JBL - speakers, power amps and JBL/UREI crossovers ... but that changed over time.

Now, in an urge to simplify, I've sold off the 4341s, the L100T/3 sides and soon the LC2 center ... I've moved the hanging L20Ts up to my office, and the only thing JBL left in that room now is the 18 inch 4641 sub ...

I've switched nearly the whole room over to DCM Time Frame transmission line speakers from an out of production firm from Ann Arbor, Mi.

Even sold off the Dahlquist system I was playing around with upstairs yesterday afternoon ... Tho I still have the L200 based 3 way system - doubt I'll ever get rid of that ... but again, thats the upstairs system with Toobes ...

Anyway - I took Emma to brunch Saturday, the usual Dim Sum place in Falls Church, VA. On the way back we followed a sign for a yard sale - and - mixed among the pewter and crafty stuff, was a Salamander Chameleon Sonoma cabinet. Its a 3 bay mission style AV console kind of cabinet in a cherry finish. It looks like a laminate wood product, but its built on a metal framework underneath ... It had a couple of dings and scratches, and was priced at $175 ...

I asked him how flexible he was on the price but he said very firm ... so I moved on to look at other stuff. After we bought enough nick nacks - I looked around and he was gone, just his wife was taking payment for housewares and such - So, on a whim - I wrote $120 on a business card and gave it to her and said if he doesn't get any other offers, I'd be interested at that price. I've actually downsized the gear enough that I could fit it in that cabinet - but I wasn't sure I could really make use of it - and ... its 64 inches long! I wasn't even sure it'd fit in the CR-V to get it home!

Well, by the time we got home they'd already called and accepted my offer (!) but we had some other stuff we had to do first so we did that. I googled this cabinet online and found they were stupid expensive ... but people liked them. Bottom line - I measured the CRV and found it would just barely fit ... so back we went, loaded it up, and brought it home.

All the metal internal structure means ITS HEAVY ... I called around and no one local had the accessory wheel kit that sells for $100 ... But the feet had little screw level adjusters - nearly the same size as a set of 4 casters I had gotten for another project. So I took the feet off the base, drilled the center hole slightly larger and put casters on each of the feet while it was still in the back of the truck!

So I took the feet off the base, drilled the center hole slightly larger and put casters on each of the feet while it was still in the back of the truck! We unloaded it Sunday morning, rolled it down the driveway and the sidewalk through the kitchen and into the TV room ...

Spent most of the afternoon/evening tearing down all the amp and interconnects in the old racks, and moving everything into this system -
my plan was to have just the Denon TT and the center channel speaker (DCM TimePiece) on top! Plus the Wii and a pair of bunny ears for FM as well!

Still have to get the old SCAN Teak rack out of here - and will eventually make a nice wood "sleeve" and grill for the 4641 subwoofer -
it works GREAT but I'd like it a wee bit more furniture-like and less theater/industrial.

And now I need to center the TV - move the wall bracket at some point!!

Eventually I'll pull all the blue rug up and redo the floor with a hardwood floor pergo type product - its just a concrete slab underneath.

The AV fun never ends!

55889 55887 55892

grumpy
06-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I've looked at that cabinet line several times for HT... where it's desirable
(for me) to not have the gear and lights on display so much. It looks like
furniture in a nice way. Great deal, ... congrats :)

SEAWOLF97
06-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I keep seeing those in the "Audio Adviser" catalogs , yes at stupid prices ...nice catch.

when I do see their offerings, thats always the model that I thot was pick 'o da litter. ;)
kind of a Mediterranean look ...

Mr. Widget
06-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I keep seeing those in the "Audio Adviser" catalogs , yes at stupid prices ...nice catch.when I do see their offerings, thats always the model that I thot was pick 'o da litter. ;)kind of a Mediterranean look ...Mediterranean?

Dude, don't you remember the horrible brown stuff sitting on green shag carpeting that was called Mediterranean Style? ;)

Nice find Heather... not sure what style I'd call it, but it will certainly make for a fine HT addition.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Mediterranean?

Dude, don't you remember the horrible brown stuff sitting on green shag carpeting that was called Mediterranean Style? ;)

Nice find Heather... not sure what style I'd call it, but it will certainly make for a fine HT addition.

Widget

they call it "a Mission-influenced style".
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SMCSO

Not everything labeled "Med" was that horrible.

Titanium Dome
06-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Mediterranean?

Widget

Mission sounds right to me. It'd look good in our master bedroom. (Well, we call it master bedroom out of habit, but there's really no master here. Just us.) It's all Mission style furniture.

Congrats, Heather, that's a nice score. :yes:

hjames
06-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Still cleaning up the once complex system ...
Since I got that Salamander cabinet 2 weeks back to hide all the gear in,
I've been downsizing racks and amps and such since then!

I moved the wall-mounted HDTV over 16 inches to better center it in the room,
put wheels on the Salamander cabinet so I can move it around, and bought a new amp that will handle all the surround channels.

Its an Elan Z-660 - a thin rack mountable thing with a huge torroidal transformer inside 6 channels at 60w each ...
and each pair can be bridged to a 120w/ch!

I've got it set with 1 bridged pair for a 120w/ch center, and the remaining 4 channels for side and rear surround use.

Pix later once my cleanup is done!

Haven't opened mine yet, but here is a pic of one John has - he sent me a pic of his before mine arrived.

Anyway - the old Biamp Rack has been trimmed down a lot at this point ...

Center bay of the Salamander "console" is the TivoHD, OPPO BDP-93 and the Integra DTC 9.8 on top -
all of them with 1x3 spacers under their feet to increase the airspace.

Left Bay is one GFA-555 (for the front mains), with an Adcom ACE-515 Power switcher above it and a
switched channel adapter gadget for the cable system above that.

Right bay is the Elan Z-660 on the bottom, the other Adcom GFA-555 (bridged for the JBL sub) and another ACE-515 for that rack.

The Denon DPF-45F Turntable sits on the top right, center speaker in the middle, lazy susan CD rack on the left.

The HDTV has to be turned on via the TivoHD own remote, but the Integra remote turns the rest of the gear, and manages most of the rest of it.

Still go - sell off some of the leftovers from the cleanup ...
Plus redo the paint on the chair rail moldings around the room, rip up the carpet, and redo with a hardwood floor product.

BMWCCA
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I moved the wall-mounted HDTV over 16 inches to better center it in the room,
put wheels on the Salamander cabinet so I can move it around, and bought a new amp that will handle all the surround channels.

Its an Elan X-660 - a thin rack mountable thing with a huge torroidal transformer inside 6 channels at 60w each ...
and each pair can be bridged to a 120w/ch!

Is that an X-660 or a Z-660?

hjames
06-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Is that an X-660 or a Z-660?
Yep, its supposed to be a Z, man ... snagged it from an AudioGon vendor.
I apparently typo-ed it in morning fun in hurried posting ...

hjames
06-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Okay, required picture of current config ...
Its a long way from the scarey biamp rack balanced on the left Studio Monitor ...
But with those skinny little Time Frame speakers, you can barely balance a stuffed animal on them,
certainly not a rack-o-gear!

Speakers currently in use:
DCM TF-1000 - Front Mains
DCM TimePiece - Center
JBL 4641 18inch - subwoofer
DCM TF-600 - side surrounds
DCM TF400 rear surrounds

BMWCCA
06-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I know you usually work the Saturdays so I didn't say anything before -
I did get that right, yes - you are usually tied on Sats?

Finished up yesterday around 8:30pm delivering a new car to an old friend who had ordered it about three weeks ago. He's not in the best of health and BMW was showing his 2013 X5 50i M-sport with Performance Package would be delivered on the 13th and he was very anxious to have it. It finally showed up Saturday around 4pm and we had it prepped, programmed, cleaned, treated, waxed and gassed and in his hands by about 7:30pm.

Saturday is always a busy day but I'll stay even later to make an old friend's day a happy one.

The "truck" has 440hp and sounded great! It looked basically like this one:

hjames
06-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Finished up yesterday around 8:30pm delivering a new car to an old friend who had ordered it about three weeks ago.
Saturday is always a busy day but I'll stay even later to make an old friend's day a happy one.

Yeah, John can't make it, and neither can Opimax!
... But its just been a while since any of us had a listening party,
we figured it was due!

And the guys have been wondering about these old DCM things I've been playing with lately ...
so - I guess they'll know soon enough! They were Ann Arbor's finest, ya know!

Mr. Widget
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
And the guys have been wondering about these old DCM things I've been playing with lately ...
so - I guess they'll know soon enough! They were Ann Arbor's finest, ya know!I'd lose the monstrously huge sub and consider a Velodyne MiniVee 10 or ??? That sub seems to be overkill for the DCMs both visually and functionally.

Widget

DavidF
06-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Looks nice, Heather. For the retail asking price I would hope that's not laminate. Maybe just the doors are actual wood. Good find anyway you look at it.

hjames
07-31-2012, 01:20 PM
yet another dance around the yard! I had been playing with DCM Timeframe speakers recently - really interesting and made the room sound nice - but ... 2 weeks ago I answered an ad on the local Cl for a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce speakers with the XLo Biwire cables, sand filled Anchor stands boxes and all of it. Original owner sale. He couldn't demo them at his place (Wife doesn't like those Craigslist people) but he brought them by our place. I hide the JBL 3 ways and set up the Carver receiver upstairs with my HK changer - which of course, failed to work!

Anyway, the darned things sounded really nice - very open and airy and not overpowering in any part of the spectrum -
So I peeled off a couple or three benjamins and bought them.

Been playing them for the last week or so off the 40w Jolida tube amp - and they intrigued me,
so we hauled them downstairs Sunday and set them up as mains on the home theater system -
with the 200w Adcom GFA-555 ... (and the JBL LC2 as Center again).

Whoa - they really opened up with the extra power ... so much so that I ran a CL ad for the DCM Timeframes
and - last night a buyer came and bought up 4 pairs of them! He loved the All DCM HT demo and would have bought all of them -
except I wanted to keep the TF-600s that have extra rear facing tweeters to use as rear surrounds ...

Yesterday I bought a B&K ST-202 Plus amp off AK - should have that by the weekend -
same power as the Adcom but supposed to be a bit warmer - some of the Vandy folks say they play well together.

Next thing will be to find another pair of 2 series Vandersteens for side surrounds!

Then later this fall I'll gut all that ugly blue carpet and go with a hardwood floor system!

grumpy
07-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Hmm... ST-140 (earlier, MOSFET) and Vandersteen 2s... that takes me back a bit :)
IIRC, later Vandersteen 2 models had a number of improvements,
but the basic recipe and sound remained. Very enjoyable merits,
usually reasonably priced. Glad to hear you're having fun on your journey :)

hjames
08-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Found another pair of walnut Vandersteens locally - this pair are 2Ci again with the Sound Anchor stands ...
just slightly pricier than the killer deal for the previous pair ...
so I grabbed them and put them in as side surrounds, and moved the DCM TF600s to the back
for the occasional rear surround use for the somewhat rare 7.1 sources.

All I need now is for someone to buy the JBL 4641 sub - it really is overkill in that room ...

Oh - and and I can sell the Cherry JBL LC2 center now as well -
I actually got the factory wall mount brackets when I bough it so it can hang it on the wall -
tho I actually never had clearance under the TV to try that.

Oh, that new DVD just released of the 1981 Muddy Waters club date with the Rolling Stones at the Checkerboard club is just EXCELLENT!

hjames
08-12-2012, 05:01 AM
moved from my LC2 for sale thread- http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/search.php?searchid=13210087

That's a center I have and it's outstanding! How do you like the Vandys? Love them to bits so far - I got a pair of 2CEs (4 way floor stander) delivered for a demo and we tried them out with our Carver receiver (125w/ch) - very nice and full sound. Nice presence, great imaging - paid the man his $300 and sent him on his way(!) Later that day I hooked them up with the 40w/ch Jolida tube amp at first and they were good, but not as deep as I hoped. They really do want a bit more power. They're 87dB efficient - not like our L200 based 3ways with the walnut horn.

I had some time 2 weeks later and hauled them down to the TV room and put them on the Adcom GFA-555, and used the XLO biwire cables they came with. Much fuller and seemed like the sound was more defined - a little crisper or detailed. Position is a little more critical - but its like the sound is just there - not playing in a wooden box.

A week later I got a B&K ST-202 Plus amp (200w/ch, but I'd heard they are a better pairing than the Adcoms) - I think it does seem a bit warmer with that now. Time to sell the Adcoms I guess.

Found a pair of slightly older 2CI speakers on the local CL - paid a wee bit more, but I learned from the DCM TimeFrames theater I built that its best if everything is voiced the same - and the 2CIs are really close - basically the same drivers with a slightly older xover design. I set them up as side surrounds, and have a pair of DCM TF-600s as rear surround - they only play with 7.1 sources and there aren't many of them.
The TF-600 have rear/side facing tweeters so they are more open sounding than you might think, and they do match well with the Vandys

Found a matched Vandersteen VCC1 center and that turned out to be a great addition - its a better tonal match than the (excellent) LC-2.

I also made a bid on Audiogon for a Vandy active sub ... basically 3 8 inch woofers in a common box with a compensating network - they claim its the equiv of a 14" cone ... Dunno - but I should have it next week. The subs are a bit rare, so if its not superb I can sell it off easy enough. I'll be about $1400 into this batch of speakers, so far, they sound quite good.

For a review ... Music is quite nice - I tried all the usual stuff - Steeley Dan, Clapton & Winwood, Knopfler, the Who. CDs and music discs are quite good - SACDs are nice as are mudic videos - played Leonard Cohen's On The Road disc - even his low gravely voice sounds great.

On Friday I got a Dorian CD of Musorgsky's pictures at an Exhibition on pipe organ ... 2ch stuff - its crazy impressive even without any sub.

We'd watched the original Die Hard last week (remastered on Bluray) - and it was very cool - plenty of power with all the explosions and pyrotechnics ...
Last night we watched The Long Riders DVD (1980 western with the Quaid brothers, the Carradine brothers, etc) and got swept up in that.

Oh, ampwise - the mains are running on the B&K amp I mentioned, the rest is on an Elan Z-660 - its an interesting modular piece with 6 60 watts amp cards - and each pair can be bridged into a 150w amp. So the center is a bridged pair at 150w to keep up with the 200w mains, the sides and rears are on 60 watt channels and seem to do fine. Currently, I've got that old JBL 4641 sub on another Adcom GFA-555 bridged to mono - est 600watts - its set 7dB down in the Integra setup menu.

But the new sub won't need an amp - maybe its time to sell the Adcoms - or maybe keep one for backup and sell that HK Citation 22 I've had forever.

hjames
08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Had some listening time fun tonight - pulled out Boz Scaggs Dig and played a few tracks from that -
basically just the Oppo BDP-93/Integra preamp/B&K ST202 plus amp and the front pair of vandersteen 2CEs - no sub.
Remarkable how much bass those 2 funky cloth covered stacks put out effortlessly ...

hjames
08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I got a Vandersteen 2W powered sub the other day and have been trying to make friends with it.

It seems to work ok, but it IS different than other subs -
basically, you install a high pass filter on the input of the power amp -
it gets set to match the imput impedance of your power amp and it rolls off the low freq.
You run a pair of speaker cables to the L & R connectors on the sub- and the sub
senses the signal off the mains and has compensation for the rolloff.
Its very music and just brings a bit of the lower octave under the mains.

I originally had it on the side wall where the 4641 used to live, but yesterday
I rearranged all the Vandersteens and put the sub module in the front right corner ...
(instead of on the middle of the side wall next to the 2CI side surround.)

So - I have 4 nearly matched Vandersteen 2 series pairs in the room
(2CE fronts, a bit older 2CIs for side surround) a small Vandersteen VCC-1 center, their older 2W sub,
and those non-Vandy DCM TF-600 transmission line speakers in the rear.
for the rare occasion when I need 7.10

The Vandersteen 2W sub is not a big IN YER FACE sub like the 4641 with the 600watt HK Citation 22 amp
I ran it on - but I always had that dialed down by 10db or so and it was still a PRESENCE.
Plus, the Vandy sub's not funky-industrial like the 4641, either - the black cloth and wood finish is kind of nice.

Still got to rip that carpet out, by the roots!~

Krunchy
08-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Had some listening time fun tonight - pulled out Boz Scaggs Dig and played a few tracks from that -
basically just the Oppo BDP-93/Integra preamp/B&K ST202 plus amp and the front pair of vandersteen 2CEs - no sub.
Remarkable how much bass those 2 funky cloth covered stacks put out effortlessly ...

I'll take your word for it, I wouldnt think something that shallow would be able to produce good LF, I always think you have to have the depth of a "proper/traditional" enclosure for that. :banghead:
Your set up is looking really nice Heather, you must be pretty happy with it, do you find yourself using this room more frequently now, for listening as well as HT?
I know you got rid of the 4341's & your main 2 channel set up nowadays is the L200's, what do you have left in the JBL family?

Have fun!

hjames
08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
I'll take your word for it, I wouldnt think something that shallow would be able to produce good LF, I always think you have to have the depth of a "proper/traditional" enclosure for that. :banghead:
Your set up is looking really nice Heather, you must be pretty happy with it, do you find yourself using this room more frequently now, for listening as well as HT?
I know you got rid of the 4341's & your main 2 channel set up nowadays is the L200's, what do you have left in the JBL family?

Have fun!

Still shuffling things in the HT room - but yes, with the vandy mains and the B&K power amp,
listening to music is a lot nicer in that room that it was before ...
not to blame the 4341s - it just wasn't the best room for them ...

I still have the LC2 Center and that 4641 sub to sell, but -
we have a pair of L19s on my old CR400 (yamaha receiver) in the basement near the treadmill
The L20Ts that used to be rear surrounds for the movies are now fed by an HK 740 receiver as monitors up in the office.

And I just might buy a pair of JBL Synthesis 3 subs for the TV room -
depending on what happens with the vintage vandy Sub I am trying out now ...
I'm just not pleased with it.

I like your Avatar - its a bit pricey but I have the 2 Cd version preordered -
heard the 2 teaser tracks but I can't wait to hear more!

Krunchy
08-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Still shuffling things in the HT room - but yes, with the vandy mains and the B&K power amp,
listening to music is a lot nicer in that room that it was before ...
not to blame the 4341s - it just wasn't the best room for them ...

I like your Avatar - its a bit pricey but I have the 2 Cd version preordered -
heard the 2 teaser tracks but I can't wait to hear more!

Yes yes my fellow MK junkie, his stuff is always worth the price of admission, thank goodness the guy is so prolific, I dont get out to see a lot of concerts these days but I would like to see him live one day.

As to the former in bold, I had a feeling the 4341 replacement/shufle had something to do with space related issue (I was a little confused at first as to why you'd gotter rid of them) and that can often be at a premium these days.
I'm kind of hesitant to set up a really well thought out HT room for fear I may not be able to tear myself away from the tv :D
There's no place like home, theres no place like home :D

hjames
08-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes yes my fellow MK junkie, his stuff is always worth the price of admission, thank goodness the guy is so prolific, I dont get out to see a lot of concerts these days but I would like to see him live one day.

As to the former in bold, I had a feeling the 4341 replacement/shufle had something to do with space related issue
(I was a little confused at first as to why you'd gotten rid of them) and that can often be at a premium these days.
I'm kind of hesitant to set up a really well thought out HT room for fear I may not be able to tear myself away from the tv :D
There's no place like home, theres no place like home :D

It seemed like a good time to sell off some of the JBL stuff -
I got my money's worth out of the 4341s plus a bit more and we had
enjoyed them for 5 years (!)
They'd probably have been better in the upstairs with the high ceilings ...
but stylistically - no - and since Emma likes the L200 plus system ...
especially with tubes, we're keeping that system.
Plus I sold off the L100Ts for a bit over 5 bills ...
it was nice to reclaim the cash from both pairs of JBL!

They held their value better than the stock market -
(well, except that I'm invested in APPL lately and its a been great year for them!)

Someone off the local CL came by and brought that first pair of Vandersteens for a demo -
a couple hundred dollars below market value plus with stands and fancy biwire cables -
and when it sounded good upstairs, and when we moved them into the TV room,
they really suited the space.

And yes, we REALLY like MK - but even that is not enough to suffer through Bob Dylan in 2012!

Krunchy
08-23-2012, 10:00 AM
They held their value better than the stock market :D :applaud:-
(well, except that I'm invested in APPL lately and its a been great year for them!)

Someone off the local CL came by and brought that first pair of Vandersteens for a demo -
a couple hundred dollars below market value plus with stands and fancy biwire cables -
and when it sounded good upstairs, and when we moved them into the TV room,
they really suited the space.
& vice versa, Thats always an important part of the equation I believe.

And yes, we REALLY like MK - but even that is not enough to suffer through Bob Dylan in 2012!
What do you mean :o:, I havent been up on bob lately.

hjames
08-23-2012, 10:05 AM
What do you mean :o:, I havent been up on bob lately.

Oh - for the current MK tour he is teamed up with Bob Dylan ... I'd rather hear Bob on an album
(Desire, Rolling Thunder revue, Planet Waves) than in person where he may be .. shall we say - less than on point.

Krunchy
08-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh - for the current MK tour he is teamed up with Bob Dylan ... I'd rather hear Bob on an album
(Desire, Rolling Thunder revue, Planet Waves) than in person where he may be .. shall we say - less than on point.

Ahhh! I get it, yes, I know exactly what you mean, and I love bob but I'm with you on this one as well.

hjames
08-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Cleaned up the Home Theater room. I shipped the Vandy sub back -
it just doesn't produce bass like a 4641 on full tear with HK Citation 22 in Bridged mono mode off the LFE channel.
But the 4641 is a bit ... shall we say ... industrial looking?
Emma like the wood cap and cloth wrap look of the vandys - so on a hunch I put the 4641 on its side,
did a temporary wrap as a trial, and popped a spare IKEA shelf on top ... just to check out the look.

But I have a pair of the Synthesis 3 NS3SL & NS3SR 12 inch passive corner subs on the way ...
so instead of the fugly 4641, I'll toss them in the front corners, pop the Citation into stereo mode,
use a Y to feed LFE to the two of them, and try this distributed bass thing.

I will admit last night we demoed the last couple scenes of the Star Trek reboot film in bluray on the sideways 4641 -
the scene with Syler-Spock flying old Spock's ship and kicking it into warp speed - what a nice punch that was!
And when he flew it into the Romulan cruiser - and the sound of the Enterprise firing phasers - and the Romulan ship's final implosion ...
I dunno what a pair of 12inch subs will do with that by comparison ...

May the better sub win!

hjames
09-23-2012, 01:00 PM
We actually like what that sideways sub is doing in the room - but the look is civilized compared to the black industrial look of the stock cabinet.
I actually cancelled the HK corner subs just before Labor Day weekend, and managed to sell the pair of Adcom GFA-555s last weekend ...
which kind of recharged the audio fund. It'd be nice to enlarge the TV screen, currently at 47inch, but we can wait for a good sale for that!

Enjoying what we have, for now.

BMWCCA
09-23-2012, 03:31 PM
So . . . what kind of Pepperidge Farm cookies are those? ;)

hjames
09-23-2012, 05:44 PM
So . . . what kind of Pepperidge Farm cookies are those? ;)
Whatever Emma got last time ... my fav Cappucines are out of production these days ...

mikebake
09-24-2012, 06:34 AM
May not be a big enough move up, but Sams Club has 51 inch LG plasmas for $474. Brought one home for the kitchen TV at that price. Does not look good next to cranked up LCD/LED screens in the store; at home, it is quite good. Not drop off in viewing at angle, great blacks/contrast/color. An amazing value for the price.
Used to be interested in Vandersteens in the past, had some in the home for awhile, just never quite fell in love.
Have you heard PS speakers? Might be a bridge between the Vandy appeal and the classic JBL.

hjames
09-24-2012, 07:13 AM
May not be a big enough move up, but Sams Club has 51 inch LG plasmas for $474. Brought one home for the kitchen TV at that price. Does not look good next to cranked up LCD/LED screens in the store; at home, it is quite good. Not drop off in viewing at angle, great blacks/contrast/color. An amazing value for the price.
Used to be interested in Vandersteens in the past, had some in the home for awhile, just never quite fell in love.
Have you heard PS speakers? Might be a bridge between the Vandy appeal and the classic JBL.

I'm on a 47" Vizio right now - the 51 Plasma seems like a killer price - but not much of an upgrade sizewise ...
I'll go have a look tho ... better image is worthwhile!

I've got a friend locally keeps trying to sell me on Legacy speakers -
he's got a nice HT system with them and Mark Levinson amp -
plus 4 homebrew 2445 subs in the corner run on Adcom monoblocks ...

svollmer
09-25-2012, 07:35 AM
I've got a friend locally keeps trying to sell me on Legacy speakers -
he's got a nice HT system with them and Mark Levinson amp -
plus 4 homebrew 2445 subs in the corner run on Adcom monoblocks ...

Sounds like a suspicious character!;)

The Legacy's Heather is referring to is a pair of 1999 Focus model. I purchased them new and still love them to this day. Flawless operation and they just plain sound great. I keep auditioning other speakers (that I might actually be able to afford) and haven't found any yet that make me want to make a change. Although Legacy is coming out with a new Focus that uses Heil Air Motion Transformers for the tweeter/super tweeter. I'm taking a serious look at those!

Regarding the homebrew subs; I had been thrilled with the operation of two in my last home, but less than impressed with the operation of four in my current home. A couple weeks ago I decided one last time to check the phasing on everything and found that I had hooked up one of the 2245's out of phase when loading it in the cabinet. I really felt like an idiot! :o:

But, the sound now is so smooth, so low, and can go so darn loud, that I quickly got over it! :applaud:

Mr. Widget
09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
...51 inch LG plasmas.... Brought one home for the kitchen TV at that price. Does not look good next to cranked up LCD/LED screens in the store; at home, it is quite good. Not drop off in viewing at angle, great blacks/contrast/color. An amazing value for the price.I am not familiar with the LG Plasma offerings, but in general I much prefer Plasma over the LCD and LCD/LED look... the LCD TVs are like postcards, the color saturation and contrast are both set to 11 and if you try to detune them they look washed out and lifeless. Another benefit of plasma technology is the orders of magnitude faster refresh rate... you get a lot fewer motion artifacts, especially on lower resolution programming.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
09-25-2012, 09:07 AM
a new Focus that uses Heil Air Motion Transformers for the tweeter/super tweeter. I'm taking a serious look at those!

have been swapping stereo/speaker gear for a long time, but somehow never got to hear The Heil AMT before lately. My new-to-me ESS bookshelves have the larger Heil (they are 2 ways, so its handling both HF & MF) ...its is a nearly a revelation to me ...the sound is sweet at a neutral setting and can get quite sharp if adjusted that way (and these are 63 y.o. ears listening). The image is very wide and detailed.

From my experience, I would not hesitate to recommend demoing any system using the HAMT :D

svollmer
09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
have been swapping stereo/speaker gear for a long time, but somehow never got to hear The Heil AMT before lately. My new-to-me ESS bookshelves have the larger Heil (they are 2 ways, so its handling both HF & MF) ...its is a nearly a revelation to me ...the sound is sweet at a neutral setting and can get quite sharp if adjusted that way (and these are 63 y.o. ears listening). The image is very wide and detailed.From my experience, I would not hesitate to recommend demoing any system using the HAMT :DI heard the patent for the AMT expired and that's why several manufacturers are now incorporating them in their designs (ADAM, Martin Logan, Golden Ear, Carver, etc.). Lucky for us!

hjames
09-25-2012, 03:36 PM
So maybe a good pair of HAMT could help me go back to 2 way performance and sell off those much cursed (not by me) JBL horns??
I'd have to see the specs - but if they'd crossover at 900 or 1200Hz ... ???

jbl_daddy
09-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Just purchased a 50 inch lg plasma from micro center $499 one hour ago. It is for the office but powered it up and boy does it look nice.

hjames
09-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Just purchased a 50 inch lg plasma from micro center $499 one hour ago. It is for the office but powered it up and boy does it look nice.

It IS very tempting - I looked it up the other day and noticed I could get similar 50 in Plasma monitors from Sam's Club, BJ's Club, and Costco ...
all for under $600

What do they know that we don't ... or, should I say, what can we expect for Black Friday?

It does look like the LG 60" plasma can be found for under $999 right now ...
I think that 10 inch difference might be worth it!

BMWCCA
09-25-2012, 06:41 PM
What do they know that we don't ... or, should I say, what can we expect for Black Friday?

You know I don't know squat about HT but it would appear that if you're not selling interactive "smart" TVs, your products are out of date. Perhaps we're seeing dumping prior to the introduction of the Apple iTV and Google TV? Just a thought.

56945 56946

hjames
09-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Extremely doubtful either of them will come in 50+ inch screen models!
And if they don't, they aren't relevant to the discussion. Really!
Touch screens aren't for home theater either - and won't be in big screen models.

But I'd be interested to see what an Apple iTV might be - I envision something like the iMac,
unlike the older AppleTV [160] I did own, or the current model they offer -
great for a $100 gadget, but not hugely compelling for many folks.

You know I don't know squat about HT but it would appear that if you're not selling interactive "smart" TVs,
your products are out of date. Perhaps we're seeing dumping prior to the introduction of the Apple iTV and Google TV? Just a thought.

56945 56946

BMWCCA
09-26-2012, 04:33 AM
Extremely doubtful either of them will come in 50+ inch screen models!
And if they don't, they aren't relevant to the discussion. Really!
Touch screens aren't for home theater either - and won't be in big screen models.

But I'd be interested to see what an Apple iTV might be - I envision something like the iMac,
unlike the older AppleTV [160] I did own, or the current model they offer -
great for a $100 gadget, but not hugely compelling for many folks.You asked why the big price drops.

The future of TV may not depend on touch-screen as much as connectivity. What's the biggest deal in smart-phone apps these days? It's connectivity, whether you're controlling your music server with your iPhone or your in-dash sound and navigation system. No one expects to have to touch the screen of an Apple iTV or a Google TV, but they do expect it to be controlled through their phones and do everything their current home computer does but through their TV. It's the next step in merging Internet with TV and replacing your home computer with your connected TV. Super Sunday sales will likely be the blow-out opportunity for the non-connected TV.

That can be a good thing for those of us who use our TV for TV and our computers in their traditional roles. Not everyone needs to be connected. Just as some of us cling to our two-channel systems and even our analog sources. Another issue may be newer power-saving technology. Energy-Star 5.0 standards for HD TV went into effect in 2012. You may be seeing old-stock clearances for non-complying models under Energy-Star 3.0 standards which allowed over three-times the energy use in 50-inch and 60-inch TVs. :dont-know:

mikebake
09-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I am not familiar with the LG Plasma offerings, but in general I much prefer Plasma over the LCD and LCD/LED look... the LCD TVs are like postcards, the color saturation and contrast are both set to 11 and if you try to detune them they look washed out and lifeless. Another benefit of plasma technology is the orders of magnitude faster refresh rate... you get a lot fewer motion artifacts, especially on lower resolution programming.

Widget
Precisely. I thought about the Panasonic plasma and a Samsung, decided to just go with the LG as the cheapest of them, looked at all the LCD/LED's, and the postcard analogy is great. The refresh rate was important to me; 60-120-240. Blah. I watch football and the motion artifacts are annoying. I think the plasma is like 660 refresh or something like that. Anyway, I've really enjoyed the image, and with that price...........

dkalsi
09-28-2012, 02:25 PM
FWIW - If one is looking to buy a TV, I would recommend searching local Craigslist for a used Pioneer 8G or 9G plasma.

I had been searching for a bedroom TV for quite some time. Looked a Panasonic Plasma, Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc. etc.

Of the brands above, my favorite was the Panasonic Plasmas - especially their VT serious - they are expensive - but they are mighty good.

Then, I saw an ad on my local CL for a used 50" Pioneer 8G plasma for $800. Not knowing much about Pioneer Kuro, I decided that I should at least go check it out - just for the sake of checking it out.

I was SHOCKED beyond belief at the picture quality - this TV was manufactured in Oct 2007 and had much better picture quality than anything being sold today at that price.

$800 later - the TV installed in my bedroom. Granted it does not have all the apps and wifi connectivity, but the $100 devices like AppleTV, GoogleTV, Roku, etc - its really no big deal.

moparfan
09-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I used to be a big plasma fan, and they still are better...

But nothing like a 100+ inch screen from a projector.

mikebake
10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I've got a 100 inch screen/projector in the basement. Great stuff, but I don't want it used for daily TV, esp. by the kids. Thus the plasma.

Mr. Widget
10-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Then, I saw an ad on my local CL for a used 50" Pioneer 8G plasma for $800. Not knowing much about Pioneer Kuro, I decided that I should at least go check it out - just for the sake of checking it out.

I was SHOCKED beyond belief at the picture quality - this TV was manufactured in Oct 2007 and had much better picture quality than anything being sold today at that price.I am not shocked at the quality of the picture... I'm shocked someone would sell one. When the Pioneer plasmas were being phased out, we actually had customers buy spares... they are still the best TVs ever made.

Some of the new edgeless Sonys and others are sexier looking when they are turned off, but the picture quality of the 1080P Pioneers and Pioneer Elites, is as good as anyone has yet to produce. The 720p models are not bad either.

Widget

hjames
02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Since Tuesday is my birthday, and we don't really go to the theatre much anymore, I'd been looking around to upscale the TV set downstairs and came across a great price at Costco Thurs for a mid-grade Sharp HDTV - model LC-70LE640U.

We didn't need all the web surfing capability, fancy 3D capability, or the SMART TV features, although it does Netflix streaming, I'd do that with my OPPO instead. This model does have the better screen quality and extra fine tunings/settings to dial it all in properly. We did get FIOS just after Christmas, much better signal that COX CATV used to give us.

I went through the Spears & Munsil bluray disc and did all the calibrations - and its amazing what a nice picture it produces. Emma gave me the BluRay of Skyfall so we watched that last night - between the 4641 sub when the castle blows up and the images, it was a very pleasant time! Even the Evening news looks impressive! I do need to play a bit more to get a better photo of the screen - but Teddy approves! ...
I ran a clip from 60 Minutes a few weeks back with Lions in africa - he was very interested!

4313B
02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Nice! :)

Oh, and Happy Birthday! :)

Emma gave me the BluRay of Skyfall so we watched that last night - between the 4641 sub when the castle blows up and the images, it was a very pleasant time!Cool! My copy came yesterday too. No time to queue it up yet though. :p

JuniorJBL
02-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Happy Birthday Heather!!:)

My wife and I watched it last night as well!!:applaud:

hjames
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Ah - next step in the room - we ordered a La-Z-Boy sofa and decided that blue carpet from the last homeowner just HAD TO GO!

We've owned the house 13 years Aug 1st, so its paid its way ... We thought of Lumber Liquidators and hardwood floor, but thought
it would throw the sound off quite a bit - (the TV room is a concrete slab) plus, it was much pricier than we wanted to go this time round.

We do tend to like earthtones - the downstairs is a walkthough to the garden and pond out back, and the right colors continues the feel of the outdoors.
We looked at carpet and found a really neat SHAW carpet thats nice and plush - we brought a bunch of samples home - maybe black (theater room, right?)
- but black wasn't right. Too dark shows up cat fur (grin) and we didn't want too light a shade either ... we tried moss green and some brown shades and
found a color called "Iced Coffee". Its almost chocolate milk - but has a twist and a sheen - its kind of like a flip-flop color on custom cars ...
deep brown at the base and frosted tips ... the color changes depending on the angle and color of the light - pretty amazing and perfect!

So - of course, we had to empty the entire room, haul all the speakers and that darned 18" sub upstairs - even carried the sofa upstairs! Fortunately, I put wheels on the Salamander cabinet when I got it last year, so we just rolled it with all the gear in it into the kitchen. Pulled the 70 inch HDTV down off the wall too ... but afterwards, its up on a multi-pivot stand for good now so I pulled the foot off. It'll do!

Oh, maybe you can't see with the flash - but the tan molding just a bit below the ceiling is a small box/trough I built with 40 foot of light rope inside -
gives an ambient lighting that's indirect/reflected off the ceiling and is under 20 watts.

hjames
08-05-2013, 03:11 AM
La-Z-Boy was delivered on Saturday ... that's some seriously decadent seating!
We looked into home theater seats, but Emma wanted to go with the La-Z-Boy seating.
Most La-Z-Boy sofas have a movable section at each end with the center used for either
a fancy cupholder or a non-moving fixed seat, but since we like to cuddle, we got the
Niagara model where the seating area is split into just the 2 "seats" and both can be reclined ...
Black leather, of course (doesn't attract cat fur), just like the last sofa.

We tested it with "The Great Gatsby" (the Redford version) and "A Bridge Too Far" ... very nice!

So - the TV/Theater room is complete - for now ...

hjames
08-05-2013, 03:18 AM
To give perspective - here's a pair-o-pix of the room fully emptied when the carpet was install back in July ... The room is only 12 x 16

NickH
08-05-2013, 06:19 AM
La-Z-Boy was delivered on Saturday ... that's some seriously decadent seating!
We looked into home theater seats, but Emma wanted to go with the La-Z-Boy seating.
Most La-Z-Boy sofas have a movable section at each end with the center used for either
a fancy cupholder or a non-moving fixed seat, but since we like to cuddle, we got the
Niagara model where the seating area is split into just the 2 "seats" and both can be reclined ...
Black leather, of course (doesn't attract cat fur), just like the last sofa.

We tested it with "The Great Gatsby" (the Redford version) and "A Bridge Too Far" ... very nice!

So - the TV/Theater room is complete - for now ...

Mmmm, La-z-boy. My poang doesn't even come close to that. Very nice. I bet you can rest your eyes really well in those, LOL.

Nick

hjames
08-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Mmmm, La-z-boy. My poang doesn't even come close to that. Very nice. I bet you can rest your eyes really well in those, LOL.

Nick

I found out I have to remove my bifocals because with the new reclining position,
I am viewing through the lower part of the lens - and that close-up reading section is all wrong for watching TV ...

But we do have a leather Poang with matched footstool over by the window ...
(and another one knocked down in the basement).

The old sofa was a Craigslist find that replaced an uncomfortable futon that was tough on my back.

NickH
08-05-2013, 06:59 AM
I found out I have to remove my bifocals because with the new reclining position,
I am viewing through the lower part of the lens - and that close-up reading section is all wrong for watching TV ...

The old sofa was a Craigslist find that replaced an uncomfortable futon that was tough on my back.

But we do have a leather Poang with matched footstool over by the window ...
(and another one knocked down in the basement).

I consider futons to be first apartment furniture. Never sat on one that was comfy. But that's just me.

Nick

hjames
01-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Hi heather,seems you changed your house configuration:D

Hi martin - My Avatar picture is from July '13, just after we got new carpet and new Sofa ...

The only real change in that system is retiring an old TIVOHD DVR and replacing it with a
new TIVO Roamio I installed a 3TB drive in (just before Christmas).
Oh, and a really neat Teak Coffee table from Opimax, who redecorated and it no longer matched.

Oh, I did remove a tall folding shelf and install some IKEA Lack Shelves and moved my
DVD/Bluray library downstairs onto them (those shelves are nearly fully loaded now)

So - the 7.1 Surround system downstairs is:

JBL 4641 sub in front right (concealed by black cloth)
Pair of Vandersteen 2CEs as mains
Vandersteen VCC1 on console as Center
Pair of Vandersteen 2CIs as side surrounds
Pair of DCM TF-600 (TimeFrame 600/Transmission Line speakers) as rear Surrounds

The upstairs music-only system is still the Jolida 502BRC tube amp and JBL L200 cabinets with a
hand-built 4333 crossover and 3 drivers (2234 woofers, 2445 mid on smith horn, 2405 slots)

I did get a pair of Ruark Talisman II speakers (English 2 ways) that I have been playing with,
but they seem better with a LePai 2020B T-Amp than with the Jolida.

martin_wu99
01-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi martin - My Avatar picture is from July '13, just after we got new carpet and new Sofa ...

The only real change in that system is retiring an old TIVOHD DVR and replacing it with a
new TIVO Roamio I installed a 3TB drive in (just before Christmas).
Oh, and a really neat Teak Coffee table from Opimax, who redecorated and it no longer matched.

Oh, I did remove a tall folding shelf and install some IKEA Lack Shelves and moved my
DVD/Bluray library downstairs onto them (those shelves are nearly fully loaded now)

So - the 7.1 Surround system downstairs is:

JBL 4641 sub in front right (concealed by black cloth)
Pair of Vandersteen 2CEs as mains
Vandersteen VCC1 on console as Center
Pair of Vandersteen 2CIs as side surrounds
Pair of DCM TF-600 (TimeFrame 600/Transmission Line speakers) as rear Surrounds

The upstairs music-only system is still the Jolida 502BRC tube amp and JBL L200 cabinets with a
hand-built 4333 crossover and 3 drivers (2234 woofers, 2445 mid on smith horn, 2405 slots)

I did get a pair of Ruark Talisman II speakers (English 2 ways) that I have been playing with,
but they seem better with a LePai 2020B T-Amp than with the Jolida.

Oh,it is so amazing,seems you like Vandersteen more than JBL?:blink:
How about Vandersteen?

hjames
01-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh,it is so amazing,seems you like Vandersteen more than JBL?:blink:
How about Vandersteen?

I kept the JBL 4641 sub, and the big 3 ways upstairs, of course.

The vandersteens? The sound is quite good, and imaging is top notch as well. And they are American made as well.

Its a much better solution FOR THE MONEY than any of the JBLs I previously had in the room.
previously my 4341s (which were overkill) needed some work and I could sell them for $3k,
plus I sold the L100T/3s and LCD2 as well - which allowed me to get much better amplifiers and put some cash into savings.
I believe I have well under $1500 in the 5 (used) Vandersteens and pair of DCM ... they sound very nice.

The resale market was up and it was a good time to sell when I did, plus -
with JBL no longer making parts for many of the older Vintage systems,
(or making iffy parts offshore) why keep those systems if you cannot maintain them properly?

Fort Knox
01-10-2014, 05:43 AM
and we don't really go to the theatre much anymore,

Go to the movies...it gives you something to come home to:)

hjames
01-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Go to the movies...it gives you something to come home to:)

Waste of time - audiences are rude and noisy - on a couple occasions they pretty much ruined films we did go see.

(Wild Bird migration, for one ... The Hours, for another)

With Home theater WE can control the distractions, plus we can have adult beverages and snacks as desired!

But there should be no need to justify a Home theater in a thread called Home Theater Thread Continues -

If you think differently, feel free to start your own thread and defend your choices THERE!

martin_wu99
01-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Waste of time - audiences are rude and noisy - on a couple occasions they pretty much ruined films we did go see.

(Wild Bird migration, for one ... The Hours, for another)

With Home theater WE can control the distractions, plus we can have adult beverages and snacks as desired!

But there should be no need to justify a Home theater in a thread called Home Theater Thread Continues -

If you think differently, feel free to start your own thread and defend your choices THERE!
HT will never as good as cinema,huge screen,huge space,huge speakers,especially real film colors.so when big fiction on show,i must go to cinema:D

hjames
01-13-2014, 10:50 AM
HT will never as good as cinema,huge screen,huge space,
huge speakers,especially real film colors.so when big fiction on show,i must go to cinema:D

Again, this thread is not to debate the value of HT,
start your own thread for that, if that topic is what makes you happy,
this thread is for believers who appreciate Home theater gear ...

Sure - Cinema and HT each have its purpose - we still have some grand old cinema houses in the DC area -
I even saw The Dark Knight at the Smithsonian imax theater - the Tokyo arial shots were spectacular on such a high end iMax system -
but for a lot of movies that frankly aren't so "grand", HT is a fine way to view them.

martin_wu99
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM
start your own thread for that if that floats your boat,

Sure - Cinema and HT each have its purpose - we still have some grand old cinema houses in the DC area -
I even saw The Dark Knight at the Smithsonian imax theater - the Tokyo arial shots were spectacular on such a high end iMax system -
but for a lot of movies that frankly aren't so "grand", HT is a fine way to view them.

Float my boat?
I like Imax cinema too,imax theatre is my first choise for big pictures.

JuniorJBL
01-13-2014, 11:38 AM
start your own thread for that if that floats your boat,

We do not frequent the cinema either. My family would much rather see the movie in our own HT too!! My kids have been to lots of movies via the cinema but come home saying I sure wish it was on Bluray so we could watch it in our theater Dad!! ;)

Besides, a Soda for $12 and not even a drop of funny juice in it? Not at my house!! :p

You go Heather!!:D

martin_wu99
01-15-2014, 08:08 AM
start your own thread for that, if that topic is what makes you happy,

Cinema became more and more dangerous in US,gun shot again,i undersand why you don't like to go to cinema.

hjames
01-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Has NOTHING to do with GUNS, Martin - again, you try and take this offtopic.

This is a thread about HOME Theater - since you won't stay on topic, go to someone else's thread, please.

Cinema became more and more dangerous in US,gun shot again,i undersand why you don't like to go to cinema.

Mr. Widget
01-15-2014, 09:33 AM
We do not frequent the cinema either. My family would much rather see the movie in our own HT too!! My kids have been to lots of movies via the cinema but come home saying I sure wish it was on Bluray so we could watch it in our theater Dad!! ;)

Besides, a Soda for $12 and not even a drop of funny juice in it? Not at my house!! :p

You go Heather!!:DI finally put my theater back together with a few upgrades... 1400 Arrays, 880 Array Center, Anthem electronics and Halcro Amps.... with my old 720p Marantz projector in a moderate sized room on an 8' screen... sound is near SOTA, picture is very good but I've certainly installed far better. All in all it impresses the hell out of those who don't regularly see what a half million dollar+ room looks like. ;)

I still enjoy going to the cinema though... we have a number of magnificent Art Deco movie palaces left and with updated sound and picture, there is just something about "going to the movies".

That said, I popped in The Incredibles the other night and it was a kick in the pants again. :bouncy: I think there is a time and a place for both.

Widget

martin_wu99
01-15-2014, 09:33 AM

This is a thread about HOME Theater - since you won't stay on topic, go to someone else's thread, please.
Sorry,lady,i just want to talk with you freely,not to ruin your post purposely,i like Imax cinema:D
But we do so many efforts in our home just to pursue real cinema effective:D

hjames
01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
I finally put my theater back together with a few upgrades... 1400 Arrays, 880 Array Center, Anthem electronics and Halcro Amps.... with my old 720p Marantz projector in a moderate sized room on an 8' screen... sound is near SOTA, picture is very good but I've certainly installed far better. All in all it impresses the hell out of those who don't regularly see what a half million dollar+ room looks like. ;)

I still enjoy going to the cinema though... we have a number of magnificent Art Deco movie palaces left and with updated sound and picture, there is just something about "going to the movies".

That said, I popped in The Incredibles the other night and it was a kick in the pants again. :bouncy: I think there is a time and a place for both.

Widget

Completely agree - like I said, I stopped going to any old film after a couple of chatty cathys talked through
Wild Bird Migration, The Hours, and some other films I really wanted to get lost in ... We have some great movie houses in DC,
and I worked in theaters when I was younger, so I do have a special appreciation for Cinema House -
but its really got to be a special film for me to take the risk of dropping that much money for a potentially ruined experience.
So - I can enjoy a ton of stuff at home and that's great for most movies.

Nuff said!

martin_wu99
01-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Another benefit to having a home theater is that I'm rarely attacked with popcorn and have to resort to shooting the attacker. :p

Ex-cop charged in Florida movie theater shooting said victim had attacked him with popcorn

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/charged+Florida+movie+theatre+shooting+over+textin g+said+victim/9390139/story.html

apologies for prolonging this OT idiocy, just couldn't resist. :crying:

Forget this,let's go to the topic,but when big pictures such as Transformer on show,i really like to go to movie.

martin_wu99
01-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Completely agree - like I said, I stopped going to any old film after a couple of chatty cathys talked through
Wild Bird Migration, The Hours, and some other films I really wanted to get lost in ... We have some great movie houses in DC,
and I worked in theaters when I was younger, so I do have a special appreciation for Cinema House -
but its really got to be a special film for me to take the risk of dropping that much money for a potentially ruined experience.
So - I can enjoy a ton of stuff at home and that's great for most movies.

Nuff said!
You worked in theater when you were younger?that's amazing:applaud:
If you really like HT,you must have a big big cinema room:D

hjames
01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
In someone else's thread you suddenly started asking ME questions about my gear,
so I pointed you to this thread and answered those questions here so you could find out specifics.

Now you are just jabbering away and you haven't even looked at this thread to see if that is true ...

If you really like HT,you must have a big big cinema roomhttp://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Look at the pictures - Heck, look at my Avatar -
does it LOOK like I have a really huge theater room in my house?

Please don't post in this thread again, you seem unable to stay on topic or make sense.

Hoerninger
01-16-2014, 10:15 AM
I do not live in China and I have (unfortunately) never been in USA.
But I'm pretty sure the news from TV are not giving the right picture of living in USA.
Just my 2ct,

Fort Knox
01-22-2014, 04:57 AM
I do not live in China and I have (unfortunately) never been in USA.
But I'm pretty sure the news from TV are not giving the right picture of living in USA.
Just my 2ct,

It depends on what NEWS agency your tuned to!:)

gferrell
01-24-2014, 05:52 PM
I have been using the 1990 L series for my HT for several years. 61368
And now I have acquired enough XPL series I am going to try them for a while. My XPL 200's sound very good, better than the L7's. I am using 2 L8400's for subs and a B380 clone for a music sub.

hjames
05-12-2014, 05:18 AM
'Minor upgrades ....
I had a chance for a pair of Vandersteen 3A speakers at an affordable price recently and made a run Saturday to pick them up in Ephrata, PA - (near Harrisburg, PA) .
Got them home by 6PM Saturday and got them in the house, and then had a day away Sunday so Emma could speak in Harrisonburg, VA ...
Got home by 3PM Sunday, pulled the Vandy 2CEs from the front, put them on the sides, and pulled the older Vandy 2CIs (now for sale) out of the system.

Popped the 3As into place as front mains (on the B&K ST202plus amp) and relaxed for a few hours ...
Played some streaming tracks via airtunes, then
Diana Krall - Live in Rio bluray (played a few tracks from the main concert - nice!)
Master and Commander bluray (Ambush in the fog, and the musical Duet scenes)
Skyfall bluray - (the train crash, and - the final destruction of Skyfall via propane and helicopter)
Mary Poppins - (DVD) Feed the Birds (had to! We played Savings Mr Banks last weekend and I needed a taste of the original)

So far, its a nice upgrade ...

I did put the Lack shelves in a couple months back per Emma's request - and with the Taller 3As (48 inch, vs 40 inch for the previous 2CEs)
it looks like I need to slide the TV left a bit on the wall mounts - its centered in the Window but not for the speakers.

hjames
07-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Yet another upgrade. We've been interested in the Magnepan speakers for the upstairs room
and went and to a local dealer to demo them - see what the new stuff is like. Very Nice!

Anyway - Emma asked about prices on the peripherals in the setup .. the guys blushed and mentioned the
Transparent cables (?) were probably $7k and the VTL 200w tube amp was something like $10k ..
plus there was a rack of other parts (CD player, preamp, etc) involved.

I'd checked their website earlier in the day and noticed a used section, which includedBryston 4b amps -
so I asked if he could put the older 4b NRB amp into play instead of that pricey VTL.

Everything still sounded quite nice - and Emma is very keen on the newer mags (tho I'm going to look for something newer used instead of dropping $6400 for a new pair (!)) ... But since the newer speakers deserve a better amp - I wound up buying the used Bryston and brought it home.

And since we don't have anything really high end upstairs - I pulled the B&K ST202plus that ran the front mains and
swapped it into place running the Vandersteen 3As downstairs.

First bug was - we now had a 60 cycle hum! The amp has a "ground lifter" switch, and that minimized it,
but anything like that isn't right and makes me crazy.
We lived with it for the movie last night, but this morning after Emma headed to church, I started hunting it down.

On a hunch, I remembered we'd initially had a hum from the FIOS - and I had an in-line coaxial isolation gadget.
So I flipped the ground lifter out to get the worst possible hum, then pulled the coax off the TIVO,
slipped the adapter onto the cable, and reconnected the incoming coax.
Its very faint now - flipping the ground lifter has no change.

I'll have to dig a bit further at some point, but you can ONLY hear it when I chose an unused choice on the preamp (like VCR in),
its mighty low now.

Otherwise - yes, its made a difference. The B&K was 200w at 8 ohms - the B4b NRB is 250w at 8 ohms -
I know thats really not much change per the RATED power - but I suspect the Bryston does well above rated power.
It does seem to have a fuller, tighter bass on the mains (Its set with no sub when 2 chan mode sources are involved)
The Vandys are 6 ohms, minimal 4 ohms ... so I suspect I'm getting 350-400w/ch range -
tho we never run loud - having a margin seems to help.
The Salamander cabinet has screens in the bottom of each column so that helps with convection,
and I put 4 rubber/cork isolation blocks at the outer corners between all my gear these days
(bought them from an industrial supply house quite cheaply) - just to be sure there is adequate space for good airflow.

On reflection, looking at the picture - I may wind up putting the Emotiva on the bottom of the stack,
just so its not in a hot seat directly above the Bryston.

Jonas_h
10-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Just wanted to show my humble home theater. JBL SK2-1000 in a baffle wall and four S1S-EX subs (one in the back of the room). All powered by Crown CTs amps and BSS Soundweb London. Sorry for the image quality.

baldrick
10-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Very nice setup Jonas!!

Did get the impression a while ago that you didn't like SK2-1000 but things have changed since you have bought them?

Jonas_h
10-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Very nice setup Jonas!!

Did get the impression a while ago that you didn't like SK2-1000 but things have changed since you have bought them?
Thanks! You are absolutely right. I while ago I was offered three of them for a great price but two demos where I never really liked them kept me from buying. Because they are the top 'behind the screen' speakers in the synthesis systems and their components are very good it nagged me very much that I didn't like them at the demos.

So I got the chance to get them home, and what a difference it made. Proper room treatment and calibration is the key to make these speakers shine. I am very satisfied.

hjames
10-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Very cool system, Jonas - wish I could come for a listen, or a film!
It must be amazing!

Jonas_h
10-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Thanks! If you're ever in Denmark then come take a listen :)

My next steps are new surround channels (I'm currently using 6 JBL L810) and would like to use the S4Ai instead, but they're pretty expensive. I would like to switch to the new Synthesis amps with digital input from the DSP as well. Again they're pretty expensive, so I think I'm gonna wait some time before upgrading.

Mr. Widget
10-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Proper room treatment and calibration is the key to make these speakers shine. I am very satisfied.Key to make most speakers shine... looks like you did your homework.

Congratulations on an excellent HT!

Widget