PDA

View Full Version : JBL Blue Baffle Paint..........

kris90
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
This is really turning into a pain-in-the-butt situation as I can't seem to find a good
spot on match for the baffles on my recently restored pair of 4355's.:banghead:.

I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!!!!

Odd
06-01-2012, 12:22 AM
This is really turning into a pain-in-the-butt situation as I can't seem to find a good
spot on match for the baffles on my recently restored pair of 4355's.:banghead:.

I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!!!!

Try this link (http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=+site:audioheritage.org+JBL+Blue+Baffle+Paint&sa=X&ei=z2zIT6KqO9PP4QTMxIkU&ved=0CFQQrQIwAA&biw=1280&bih=854)

I have used, RAL 840HR

kris90
06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi, much appreciated...... I went to Sherwin Williams and they made a spot on match with one of the samples I brought in.
Christian.:D

mech986
06-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi, much appreciated...... I went to Sherwin Williams and they made a spot on match with one of the samples I brought in.
Christian.:D

Kris90,

Can you get Sherwin Williams to provide you (and us!) the base and mixing formula they used? That would provide us with another JBL Blue paint version.

boputnam
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Here's a couple of old threads on the topic, for nostalgia sake...

JBL Blue (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?1107-JBL-Blue&highlight=jbl+blue)

JBL Blue - redux (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?1910-JBL-Blue-redux&highlight=jbl+blue)

As I recall, we went thru a few iterations and someone even found a formula for our European based members...

57BELAIRE
07-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Kris90,

Can you get Sherwin Williams to provide you (and us!) the base and mixing formula they used? That would provide us with another JBL Blue paint version.

Here's a pic of the original blue baffle paint and Sherman-Williams 5007 Brilliant Blue for comparison.
This match looks close enough to me to proceed with this color.

I'll provide the formula to anyone who's interested...just send me a pm.

mech986
07-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Here's a pic of the original blue baffle paint and Sherman-Williams 5007 Brilliant Blue for comparison.
This match looks close enough to me to proceed with this color.

I'll provide the formula to anyone who's interested...just send me a pm.

PM Sent, do you feel the 5007 Brilliant Blue is accurate enough as it is or using the formula is better? Or is the 5007 and the formula one and the same?

Bart

57BELAIRE
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
PM Sent, do you feel the 5007 Brilliant Blue is accurate enough as it is or using the formula is better? Or is the 5007 and the formula one and the same?

Bart

I asked S-W to make a sample of RAL 5007 and this is what they came up with.
Not having another blue baffle monitor to compare it to (just that 30 yr.old swatch
under the foilcal), it looks close enough to me. :D

This was just one of a few formulas mentioned here so I'm not sure how accurate.