PDA

View Full Version : Removing glue from poly cones ???

SEAWOLF97
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm refoaming some ESS woofers that are poly. the foams were on the front and I'd
like to redo it on the rear to counter any spider sag ..(1977 vintage) ..if its done that
way then have to remove glue line on the cones fronts.

have tried alcohol and finger nail polish remover , but no joy ....its just the standard glue, nothing special.

anybody have a good method of removing the glue w/o doing damage ?

(they are nice cast baskets, even the PR frames are nice cast alum.) ..am
falrly impressed with ESS build quality, almost on par with JBL's of that era.

BMWCCA
05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Are you saying there is spider sag? I think I'd just do them on the front.

I believe I used Goo-Gone when I did the Infinity poly cones. That glue gave up easily. Don't know if they use a similar composite material or not. Infinity calls theirs IMG for Injection Molded Graphite and says they're polypropylene injected with graphite.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/DSC_1488.jpg

edgewound
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm refoaming some ESS woofers that are poly. the foams were on the front and I'd
like to redo it on the rear to counter any spider sag ..(1977 vintage) ..if its done that
way then have to remove glue line on the cones fronts.

have tried alcohol and finger nail polish remover , but no joy ....its just the standard glue, nothing special.

anybody have a good method of removing the glue w/o doing damage ?

(they are nice cast baskets, even the PR frames are nice cast alum.) ..am
falrly impressed with ESS build quality, almost on par with JBL's of that era.

Trying to counter spider-sag is like trying to firm your butt with a face-lift. :p

The only way to counter spider sag is with a new spider. The glue will come off the poly cones with acetone....and tedium.;)

SEAWOLF97
05-31-2012, 04:42 PM
The glue will come off the poly cones with acetone....and tedium.;)

yeah, I was using the NPR as an acetone substitute, but its prolly too weak.
I'll look around for some goo-gone too.

thanx for the replies.

JBLGUY
06-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Wd-40 works to destroy glue but sometimes takes patience and reapply as well. It works pretty slow actually....but is gentle. It may take several days and some minor rubbing at the glue with a soft finger. But does ruin some types of adhesives I've found.....and cheap. One little spritz is pennies.
Works sort of like goo gone. Goo gone is also just a light oil. Adhesives hate oil as it creeps under the adhesive and destroys it's ability to Cline. Thats why it work slow as it needs time to creep under the glue and loosen it
I've used it to remove tons of stickers and it's pretty good at getting even some tough ones if your willing to wait and keep reapplying it.
Plus it can be cleaned free of the surface later if the surface is non porous of course.