PDA

View Full Version : New member here, with some new, (old) JBLs

BWS
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Hello, I have been a JBL fan for many years, I have an original set of L112s that I use nearly every day. They are keepers, for sure.
Yesterday I purchased some big old speakers from a friend of mine. His father, who had built them in 1977, had recently passed. He bulit the cabinets one month apart, and the receipts are one month apart as well.
He gave me the original sales receipts for the components along with some original sales literature.
Anyway, both receipts say: 2220 8ohm, 2420 driver,2340 horn, and 3110 Xover.
Those are the components in one of the cabinets, except the woofer actually says 2220a.
In the other, the components are: 130a woofer, 275 driver, H5040 horn, and N600 Xover.
I think I found out that these are virtually identical components, is that correct?
One is home, and the other pro, is that correct?
If not, what are the differences?
I played them last night with my Dynaco ST70 tube amp, and was impressed.
I have not A/B'd them with my L112s, yet. What differnces or similarities should I expect?
Lastly are these components worth keeping around for the next 35 years?

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa377/mrjbq/be8f0800.jpg

BWS
05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
60 views, and no replies?
Could you at least direct me to someone who may be able to answer my questions?
I would appreciate it.

grumpy
05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
On the consumer side, I think that was a Metregon load. The pro components are functionally similar. The 3110 crossover is for an 800Hz transition, I dont know if the N600 is a bit lower or effectively similar.
These parts were not used together on a flat baffle this way, from what I recall, so other than guessing a dynamic, somewhat bandwidth limited sound, that may sound more "live" but less refined than the L112 (that I do own)... You're in a better position to describe the differences.

BMWCCA
05-15-2012, 08:57 PM
60 views, and no replies?
Could you at least direct me to someone who may be able to answer my questions?
I would appreciate it.

I already read and saw your questions answered on that other audio forum—and answered mostly by folks who might do so here . . . but already have!

;)

BWS
05-16-2012, 04:17 AM
On the consumer side, I think that was a Metregon load. The pro components are functionally similar. The 3110 crossover is for an 800Hz transition, I dont know if the N600 is a bit lower or effectively similar.
These parts were not used together on a flat baffle this way, from what I recall, so other than guessing a dynamic, somewhat bandwidth limited sound, that may sound more "live" but less refined than the L112 (that I do own)... You're in a better position to describe the differences.

Thank you, sir.