PDA

View Full Version : LE14H-1 and LE14H-3 pics

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Since I was swapping the new LE14H-3 drivers in my $303 PS1400s with the LE14H-1 drivers in the PT150 boxes, I pulled out my iPhone and snapped a few photos. It was a pain in the butt without an assistant, so there are no prize winning photos here, but maybe someone will find them useful or at least interesting.

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
LE14H-1 on the top, LE14H-3 on the bottom. Notice the differences in the frames. The-1 is flat, has a flat paint finish, and has bolt holes that accommodate beveled flat Philips head bolts. The -3 has a thicker, beveled frame with a crinkled finish and bolt holes that are meant for machined bolts with round shoulders and thick Allen heads.

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Hmm, maybe the -1 has a satin finish??? Whatever.

You can see the rubber surround on the -3 (on the right) vs. the foam surround on the -1. The -1 also has the ring around the outside of the driver; the -3 does not.

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 01:11 PM
The frame diameter is the same, and the bolt mounting locations are identical. They fit and mount in the same diameter baffle cut out.

From the side, though, differences are evident. The -3 is on the left, and it's intended to be mounted such that the thick front part of the frame is flush with the baffle, which requires the driver to be inset rather than riding on the baffle like the -1 does. Also, the frame is heavier, with additional reinforcement.

Since I'm not inclined to change the L250 cabinets in case I return them to original condition, there is no routered inset, so the -3 drivers rest on the baffle, too. Thus that thick front frame results in the cone and surround being slightly further out that the original -1 would be.

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 01:20 PM
These shots were a pain. Since the drivers are heavy and unwieldy, I had to hold them up with one hand and try to focus and shoot with the other. I could have laid them down or leaned them against something, but I was not willing to risk scuffing a surround for this impromptu pictorial. So, this is what I got.

The main points of the shots are 1) to show the additional castings on the -3 frame on the right and 2) to show they still have foilcals on the backs.

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 01:25 PM
A clear difference is in the speaker wire connectors. I find the -3 connectors on the right picture much easier to use and more firm in their connections, especially when you only get enough wire in the cabinet to connect the drivers while holding them near the opening with one hand and inserting the wires with the other.

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 01:31 PM
It was a bit of a challenge installing the drivers even though the bolts went in the same locations. The deeper front frame decreased the tolerance for "close enough" and required an exact hit on the hole for the longer Allen head bolds to thread. Well, my room was too darn dark, I couldn't actually see the holes, I couldn't just leave the drivers sitting unsafely in the opening while I searched for a flashlight--if I could have held it, aligned the hole, inserted the bolt, started the bolt, and kept the driver from jumping out of the cut out--with only two hands. So I did it by feel.

And no, I couldn't just lay the enclosure down, since the other three drivers are all connected direct to their individual amps, and I was not going to disconnect all that and reconnect it if I could help it. :no:

Hopefully, I'll get a better photo at some stage. The trim ring is just sitting on the LE14H-3 frame at the moment, but the Allen head screws will be installed eventually.

Chris Brown
05-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Great pictures, lots of information there, thanks!

JuniorJBL
05-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Is there still enough room between the port and the back of the -3?

-4 looks identical to a -3 as well.

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Is there still enough room between the port and the back of the -3?

-4 looks identical to a -3 as well.

If you look at the "Driver depth" photo, you can see that from the backside of the front flanges the distance is virtually the same. I didn't get right on the floor since, hey, I'm getting old, so there is a little parallax involved in the photo's angle, plus the squircles aren't really square to each other. In the PS1400, that thicker flange would be inset into a routered well in the baffle and protrude deeper into the enclosure, but in the PT250 all the extra flange thickness is on top of the baffle, so the rearward distance is not increased.

Monsieur grumpy assures me that there's no concern for time alignment worries, and with the LF waves being generated he is of course correct. For once. :D (Please, g, it's a joke. You are my guide and margarita amigo.)

As for the -3 and the -4 being identical, they're certainly closer that the -3 and the -1. A cursory look at the transducer info posted by Techbot shows some of the differences, which don't seem all that dramatic to me, but 4313B could elucidate the key differences if it were worth his time to do so. I can read numbers. That doesn't mean I can interpret them. ;)

Titanium Dome
05-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I put the LE14H-1 drivers into the PS1400 enclosures. I had to use the bolts that came with them to get them to snug them down, since the Allen (hex) head bolts were both too long and had the wrong shoulders. So the drivers do sit recessed into the baffles due to their thin, flat flange profiles.

It may be a world's first to have PS1400s with LE14H-1 drivers in them. I'll fire them up eventually to hear what is what. My guess is they'll be just fine, and with the grilles on, who will know?

JuniorJBL
05-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Sorry Dome!!
After looking at the pic again I now see what I thought to be about a 1/2" difference is not.:banghead:

Thanks for the clarity.:)

So have you listened to them yet?

Primus
03-14-2016, 01:17 AM
I`ve been thinking, and thinking for at least a couple of years now, I`m living in Norway, and I`m dedicated to the 250ti Limited edition sound! How many other speakers I`ve listened to, I don`t know, but there`s nothing that even comes Close.....:D.

The last time I changed the woofers, was in 2001. The LE14H-1 has functioned very well these 14 years!!! But now - I can see that a change is indeed needee!!:crying:
Should I go for LE14H-3!!?? Will I be satisfied? Will the bolts and mounting go well? Any dramatic change in deep bass or Dynamics?

If this goes well - I will have stretched the Lifetime of these beauties for several years.

Primus. :)

rdgrimes
03-14-2016, 07:48 AM
I`ve been thinking, and thinking for at least a couple of years now, I`m living in Norway, and I`m dedicated to the 250ti Limited edition sound! How many other speakers I`ve listened to, I don`t know, but there`s nothing that even comes Close.....:D.

The last time I changed the woofers, was in 2001. The LE14H-1 has functioned very well these 14 years!!! But now - I can see that a change is indeed needee!!:crying:
Should I go for LE14H-3!!?? Will I be satisfied? Will the bolts and mounting go well? Any dramatic change in deep bass or Dynamics?

If this goes well - I will have stretched the Lifetime of these beauties for several years.

Primus. :)

I think the 1st page of this tread answers any questions about mounting. Sonically there shouldn't be any difference.

Primus
03-16-2016, 12:20 AM
If I`m Lucky, I`ll have them by Easter. God, I`m looking forward to this Project!! Will take some Pictures!:bouncy::D

Primus
03-16-2016, 12:24 AM
What kind of bolts, should I use? Could you post some Pictures of them....? Please. I`ve tried the local JBL-dealer, but there was little help - since Array is no longer in stock.

From earlier threads - I`ve understood that I cannot use the old ones......:blink::bouncy:

Primus
03-18-2016, 12:13 PM
[ATTACH]70406[/ATTACH

This is the original

Can I use these? Or should I go for something else?

JeffW
03-18-2016, 01:13 PM
They just need to be a little longer (5 to 7 mm maybe?) and a socket head or pan head instead of the flat head.

Primus
03-18-2016, 02:47 PM
I'll try the local hardware store tomorrow! By the way, just got my EC 4.7 back from service today! Wow! That was fun!!😋😋 I also use the EC250R and EMC1Up, when I play stereo, a nice combination! Boris Blank and Yello are often played!!👍👍☕️☕️

opimax
03-19-2016, 06:34 AM
When installed mine I had to the longer screws. I didn't compare the 2. At this time I hooked I think 3 different 250 2 with 1 and 1 with 3 , ran through a velodyne SMS as a subwoofer and got 3 vey different results, my 250s are not consitant sounding . Different x overs , rebuilt ,some charge coupled w tibq ...they just aren't right so I am not good example to use

Primus
03-20-2016, 04:52 AM
I' m reading all the answers with joy! JeffW - I' ve found new screws at the local hardware store, with a flat head and 7mm longer!:applaud: So if I'm lucky, the woofers will arrive before Easter and I can start engineering :D:D wow!! 250ti owners are so lucky, where can you find that that titanium sound? Beats me!! I played Fluke, yesterday, and the song "Mosh" must have been written for the 250ti's:):D

BMWCCA
03-20-2016, 06:59 AM
I think the 1st page of this tread answers any questions about mounting. Sonically there shouldn't be any difference.

Not sure how this applies to the LE14-3, but here was Greg's reply from another thread on the 250 towers:
The biggest issue with the 250's is the failure of the woofer surround. If you can get the unit reconed or refoamed things go back to original. The LE 14-3 has a rubber surround which doesn't wear out. Although it uses a thicker frame, it will mount into the enclosure. The grille may or may not fit, however. The problem with this substitution is that the -1 woofer is about 1 dB lower in sensitivity. The LE 14H-4 is too loud by a dB.

Primus
03-20-2016, 07:34 AM
What does Greg mean by that, will I have problems with getting the same deep bass? Or will the -3 woofers be too paunchy/loud?

Primus:blink::bouncy:

JeffW
03-20-2016, 09:07 AM
The -3 will produce a small amount more bass than the -1, but 1dB isn't a huge amount. Not long ago the -3 was even mentioned as a acceptable replacement for the -1 in the 250Ti.

Try this post

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?14154-LE14H-3&p=145299&viewfull=1#post145299

Primus
03-20-2016, 12:56 PM
I see what you mean! Now there' s only one thing to do: be patient and wait for the woofers to arrive!! Meanwhile I' m playing Leftfield' s last album😋😋🔊🔊

Primus
03-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Have anyone of you, members, experienced big delays from Harman? It`s been 3 -4 weeks now, since I ordered the LE14H-3 woofers.....:crying:

I have ordered the woofers from a Scandinavian country and they are claiming that Harman says they have the woofers, but can`t tell when the woofers will arrive....!!??

I don; t understand, don`t they wanna make Money?

:eek::confused:

JeffW
03-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Have anyone of you, members, experienced big delays from Harman? It`s been 3 -4 weeks now, since I ordered the LE14H-3 woofers.....:crying:

I have ordered the woofers from a Scandinavian country and they are claiming that Harman says they have the woofers, but can`t tell when the woofers will arrive....!!??

I don; t understand, don`t they wanna make Money?

:eek::confused:

Lol, don't get me started. Short version, you are still about 49 weeks away from my last experience.

Mr. Widget
03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
I don; t understand, don`t they wanna make Money?My last JBL woofer order took over 7 months after the order was accepted. Apparently they don't see selling a few hundred raw drivers a year as making money... not that Harman deserves any breaks, but my experience with TAD has been very similar.

That said, if I order a JBL finished goods order, say a K2 system or the like and it will arrive in days.

Widget

Primus
04-01-2016, 03:57 AM
Thanks! I see...and I who ran through the local hardware stores, in order to find the right screws, before the woofers would arrive...:crying::banghead:

I cross my fingers, and hope the LE14H-1 woofers will survive the NeXT 49 weeks.....:dont-know:

Primus.

Primus
05-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Primus
05-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Primus
05-03-2016, 12:47 PM

JeffW
05-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Congrats! That was fast :D

Primus
05-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Yes, that was fast! I thought that maybe before christmas or something, they would arrive, but suddenly I got mails - telling me that christmas came early this year!:bouncy::applaud:.

So now there is rubbersmell all over the house:D. Wow they do look good!!

I have to wait a little bit, before I can mount them. My friend in Stavanger, who works with PA - audio (he was the engineer of the famous norwegian band: Kaizers orchestra, if you heard about them:dont-know:), comes home. When I have new projects, he often assists me. The last time I changed the woofers was in 2002 and I did it alone. This time I want to do it properly - lay the speakers gently down, and then gently assist the woofers into place. And also do some cleaning and dusting before putting it all back together.....

Am I excited!!?? yes!! :bouncy::applaud::)

Primus.

Primus
05-15-2016, 03:29 AM

Primus
05-15-2016, 03:37 AM

Primus
05-15-2016, 03:43 AM
:d:d7150071501

Primus
05-15-2016, 03:49 AM

Titanium Dome
05-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Truly lovely. Congratulations!

Primus
05-17-2016, 07:42 AM
Truly lovely. Congratulations!

This is a special feeling! Finally they arrived, and now they are fastened with care. I have been thinking about this for a couple of years. Always played my JBL with extatic joy, but each time I played loud: wondering if something went wrong with the woofers. Now it seems to be years, with smaller worries ahead, considering woofers..... I have played only 10-15 hours or so, with the new woofers, and like what I hear - hoping that progress will go well, the more music I play on my Electrocompaniet/250ti station!!:):D:applaud:

Primus

Primus
05-31-2016, 11:17 PM
I have been playing with the new woofers for a couple of weeks now, the bass is astonishing and it fills the room. On Leftfield, I sometimes wonder if I have got a Kappa system. But, occasionally, The tweeter and the midrange seems to be a bit high.... I am a devoted fan to Yello, and Dieter Meier`s voice, but I have not heard him as a "snake" before.....:). My buddy and I played a lot, last night, while my wife went out for a walk, and the high frequency got into a more normal state... He also was impressed by the attack in the bass:applaud:.

I have ordered the midrange from Harman also, I thought it was a good thing to do, you`ll never know when they will be out of parts...:dont-know:.

Any replies/experiences?

Sincerely Primus.:)

Primus
06-05-2016, 11:30 PM
It was a bit of a challenge installing the drivers even though the bolts went in the same locations. The deeper front frame decreased the tolerance for "close enough" and required an exact hit on the hole for the longer Allen head bolds to thread. Well, my room was too darn dark, I couldn't actually see the holes, I couldn't just leave the drivers sitting unsafely in the opening while I searched for a flashlight--if I could have held it, aligned the hole, inserted the bolt, started the bolt, and kept the driver from jumping out of the cut out--with only two hands. So I did it by feel.

And no, I couldn't just lay the enclosure down, since the other three drivers are all connected direct to their individual amps, and I was not going to disconnect all that and reconnect it if I could help it. :no:

Hopefully, I'll get a better photo at some stage. The trim ring is just sitting on the LE14H-3 frame at the moment, but the Allen head screws will be installed eventually.

Experience any change in the tweeter and the midrange, after you installed the LE14H-3? I have played with the new woofers for about 3-4 weeks now and the attack in the bass is astonishing!! I am having trouble with closing the door, when I`m playing at high levels.....:D:D. But sometimes the tweeter and the midrange play a little bit harder, not the smooth silky way, they used to..... with your 250s - I`m sure you can adjust the levels with the bus bars, but what can I do, with only the flip switches on the midrange and the high frequency, I have no idea......:dont-know: will the midrange and the tweeter "normalize" after playing a while.....? :confused: Do I have to change back to the LE14H-1 woofers....and once again always be afraid when I`m playing loud.

Sincerely Primus.:)

grumpy
06-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Well, TD's system won't make for a particularly good comparison, as none of the drivers remained stock when the LE14H-3 went in
(as well as the entire crossover being completely bypassed for quad-amping). However, I don't recall readjusting the crossover
parameters for the other drivers due to the H-3 swap in.

Primus
06-07-2016, 07:31 AM
I'll try and be patient. Just play and have fun! With the eartquake bass! Got my new 104h midrange today, btw....:bouncy:

Primus
06-07-2016, 07:41 AM
[attach]71955