PDA

View Full Version : Pictures

paragon
09-22-2004, 02:24 PM
When you send pictures to Don for the lansingheritage,
what size are they ?
I have true colour pictures 800x1100 (WxH) which are 2.5 MB.

Regards
Eckhard

boputnam
09-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey, Eckhard...

It took a second to find it, but it's under "Interact" on the Lansing Heritage Website.

Instructions are here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/interact/scans.htm

Follow-up with a pm to Don letting him know you've uploaded.

Don C
09-22-2004, 04:54 PM
The answer depends, do you mean to submit pictures for the library or for viewing in the forum?
I think that your pictures are much too large for the forum. Pictures for the forum should be compressed in jpg format so that they will be smaller than the size that you mentioned. You should try to keep them under 150Kilobytes, and at a size that is easy to see in a browswer window.
For placing pictures in the Library, they can be much larger. Read Don's guidelines here:
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/interact/scans.htm

paragon
09-23-2004, 06:28 AM
Thanks,

These are for the lansingheritage, not for the forum.
Question is , can i send them per mail to Don`s
mailbox or are they to big ?
This are true color jpg pictures 2.5 MB each with 150ppi.
What size do you (will) send ?

Regards
Eckhard

boputnam
09-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Eckhard:

Follow the instructions I posted and upload them to the ftp - they will be fine, and Don can then decide the best way to archive/post them.

Don McRitchie
09-23-2004, 11:44 AM
As per the scanning instructions that were linked in previous emails and again in Bo's post above, we have standardized on a 150dpi resolution for scans and a jpg file format. The vast majority of JBL specs were printed on 8 1/2 X 11 inch size paper. A 150dpi scan should thus result in a 1275 x 1650 pixel image. This gives the best balance of suffucient resolution for legibility and small enough file size to keep bandwidth within reason.

When saved in JPG format, even at the highest quality settings, I have never had the file size exceed 1MB. I generally archive the file at this quality, and then futher compress the file before publishing it here. The nominal published file size is in the 200-300kb range. When you have the files in the above format, let me know and I will give you the login information for our FTP site. I'm guessing that your file is still in an uncompressed BMP, TIF or GIf format if it is 4MB in size.

paragon
09-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi Don,

If i try to mail this pictures, Outlook says that they are about
266 kb each.
This must be ok, i think.
Waiting for adress and thank you all.

Regards
Eckhard