PDA

View Full Version : Best studio monitor for under $400

thredayevt
09-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to start a 'hi-fi' speaker system. I've been researching vintage studio monitors because they seem to be the best bang for the buck (I'm a poor college student ;) )

In your opinion, what is the best speaker for under $400-500. I've read about the JBL L100's, 4310, 4311, 4312. These all seem to be readily available on ebay, craigslist, etc. Is any one of these models significantly better than the other??

Are there any other models I should consider? Also, what about other brands/models of that era?

One last question: what should I worry about when buying these speakers used? It seems like the foam on most JBL's tends to degrade over time. Obviously, I'll make sure there's no rubbing or distortion before I buy.

Thanks for the help. This is a great message board!

--Jeff

JBL Dog
09-20-2004, 11:18 PM
It was never classified as a monitor, But the JBL L100t is a fantastic speaker that can be picked up for $200 - $400 depending on condition. It is loaded with 2214H, 104H-2 (?) and 035ti. I used them from 1988 - 2002 before bucking up for a set of 4343's.

Good Luck!

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

Zilch
09-21-2004, 12:11 AM
No foam in those "control monitors" you've mentioned, actually. They're all basically from the same "genre."

Don't be afraid of foam surround JBL woofers. It's cheap and easy to replace the surrounds.

For $400 - $500, I'd be lookin' for a pair of 4412's or even 4425's (if yer lucky!)

These ARE actual studio monitors....

JBL Dog
09-21-2004, 12:48 AM
The 4425 would be fantastic if you were lucky enough to find a set for $500. It uses the same LF driver as the L100t, a 2214H. You can get about 12 - 15 years out of a foam surround before it starts to break down. JBL recommends doing a full recone rather than just doing new surrounds on all of their foam surround drivers. 2214H recones will run about $150 each. New surrounds will cost around $40 each done professionally.

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

Figge
09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by JBL Dog
JBL recommends doing a full recone rather than just doing new surrounds on all of their foam surround drivers

course they do, it cost more :)

Hi Jeff!

and wellcome, the 4425 imo would be the best if u can find it in the price range ur looking in, and it will probably make any $2500 or even more "audiophile" speaker look pale!. them 43xx are nice too though. (no worry for surrounds with those). go with he highest number if u decide the 43xx. those u mentioned are "classics" sort of entrylevel (i dont mean that as bad)

u cant go wrong with JBL! nice choise! what made u think about getting jbl pro?

4313B
09-21-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Figge
course they do, it cost more :)Actually that isn't why at all. The reason is the cone kit is spec. and the aftermarket surround is not. I've got eight 2234H's and 2235H's sitting here in front of me that could be poster-drivers for NOT doing aftermarket surrounds. Obviously someone used the wrong surrounds. Some don't even match the others. So, all the drivers still need recones.

Figge
09-21-2004, 03:01 AM
me just kidding. :)

however i think ricks $20 kits work very well!

4313B
09-21-2004, 03:27 AM
Yeah, I think I'll order a couple just to see how they compare to the aftermarket surrounds already pasted on these drivers.

GordonW
09-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
Actually that isn't why at all. The reason is the cone kit is spec. and the aftermarket surround is not. I've got eight 2234H's and 2235H's sitting here in front of me that could be poster-drivers for NOT doing aftermarket surrounds. Obviously someone used the wrong surrounds. Some don't even match the others. So, all the drivers still need recones.

I defy anyone to look at one of my re-foam jobs, and be able to tell that it's NOT a factory cone/surround kit.

When you have parts that are MEASURABLY identical (dimensions, stiffness) to the originals, and are installing them in otherwise un-damaged cone assmemblies, there's NO TECHNICAL REASON WHATSOEVER that they shouldn't sound (and look!) just like the originals...

Regards,
Gordon.

Mr. Widget
09-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by GordonW
I defy anyone to look at one of my re-foam jobs, and be able to tell that it's NOT a factory cone/surround kit.

Using great care and the right surround will no doubt make a perfect looking speaker. But you can't forget that the spider does wear too. It will last longer, but with many years of use it too will eventually need replacement, and for my money at that time I certainly would spring for the correct kit.

Widget

Zilch
09-21-2004, 10:13 AM
We're talkin' "poor college student" here. Do we advise them to stay away from systems with foam surround woofers because the surround lifetime is finite as others have apparently done?

Not for a second. This forum provides reliable advice on what surrounds to use, where to get them, and how to successfully install them, even DIY.

They can replace the cone/surrounds with a factory kit later, if they want, after they get a job. :p

For now, get the best SYSTEM you can; they can be reworked economically, if required, with excellent results. AND, you learn stuff, make new friends, and have great good fun all along the way....

louped garouv
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Zilch
For now, get the best SYSTEM you can; they can be reworked economically, if required, with excellent results. AND, you learn stuff, make new friends, and have great good fun all along the way....

that is some sound thinking -- i agree completely....

and love my 19s (Studio model)

kinda off topic but.... are there two models of 19s

thredayevt
09-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I can find 4412's for 300 (need refoam--have been used in a studio for many years), 4310, 4311 WX-A, 4312 (good cond.), 4312C(good cond.), and L100's all for about 300. Which do you guys think I should buy? The 4412 has the highest frequency range of any of those speakers.

Any of the higher numbers in these series seem to be too expensive (e.g. a 4425 for $800).

Thanks,

Jeff

Figge
09-21-2004, 12:51 PM
of the mentioned systems iŽd go with the 4412. dont worry about the foam, as zilch said: cheap $20-30 and easy to replace!. and its definently worth replacing!

if u dont want to do the refoam and just "plug and play" its the 4312 that should be considered.

Zilch
09-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by thredayevt
Which do you guys think I should buy? The 4412 has the highest frequency range of any of those speakers. 4412 is an industry standard studio monitor. Absolutely no coloration. 8 of them hang from the ceiling of Tower Records here. Get 'em....

They should be a mirror-imaged pair, i.e., a left and a right. If you're worried about refoaming, your local reconing professional does it routinely for about $40 - $50 per driver, maybe less. Give them the "poor college student" routine for the appropriate discount. Ask questions and nose around there, if they'll let you. They're speaker-lovin' people - learn cool stuff. :)

The current "A" version has no mid or high adjustment controls, and a "utility" painted cabinet. I like the older walnut ones (no "A") better for home.

Oh, and edit your profile to display your location here. You never know but that some forum regular who does refoams routinely lives in the next town over. There's almost 900 members here now....

Audiobeer
09-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Don't overlook a pair of 4313Bs. I would take a cosmeticaly fair pair of those over a mint pair of any of the others mentioned other than the 4425s. Just my opinion though.

4313B
09-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Yeah, any of them would be an experience.