PDA

View Full Version : How to? Speaker “ON” lights.

gsb001
03-23-2012, 08:05 AM
How to? Speaker “ON” lights.

I run several pair of JBL home speakers thru a Pro Co 6 way speaker switch.
I would like to connect small indicator lights to the speaker terminals so they would turn on and off as I switched between the different pairs.

I seem to remember seeing an audio store speaker demo wall set up like this somewhere in the past. Small red lights mounted in small blocks of stained and polished wood, on top of the playing speaker pair would turn on and off to identify the playing pair.

Really neat set up.

I need help sorting out the parts list to put these together.
Light / LED’s. I’d like to buy lights with leads in place, so I don’t have to solider.

Thanks
SB

JuniorJBL
03-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Your switcher would need to have a trigger\output for each button\switch you use.

hjames
03-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah, a techie could rig it for you.
Basically, your speaker switch needs an extra pair of contacts, that would be wired to 5v or something parallel to the amp outputs. ...
So, when you select a pair of speakers, the extra pair of contacts effectively switches that 5 volts to LEDs or Lamps over each pair of speakers.

Its not something you can rig yourself ...
unless you are kinda geeky ...

or you can find a speaker switcher from an ol audio store.

How to? Speaker “ON” lights.

I run several pair of JBL home speakers thru a Pro Co 6 way speaker switch.
I would like to connect small indicator lights to the speaker terminals so they would turn on and off as I switched between the different pairs.

I seem to remember seeing an audio store speaker demo wall set up like this somewhere in the past. Small red lights mounted in small blocks of stained and polished wood, on top of the playing speaker pair would turn on and off to identify the playing pair.

Really neat set up.

I need help sorting out the parts list to put these together.
Light / LED’s. I’d like to buy lights with leads in place, so I don’t have to solider.

Thanks
SB

BMWCCA
03-23-2012, 09:02 PM
This looks too simple to work and I have no idea how it would affect the signal the speaker sees, but . . .
http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/30969-speaker-indicator-light.html

Ruediger
03-24-2012, 10:03 AM
... it will do harm to the effictive damping factor of Your amplifier as seen from the speaker, and it will turn Your speakers into boom boxes.

Ruediger

toddalin
03-24-2012, 10:51 AM
I could probably do it using simple relays. (I am the king of relays on the garden railroad forum.)

The circuit would be along the lines of this. When you first power up, the speaker power would pass through a relay that would then hold itself closed until either you shut down the power, or another speaker is selected. Obviously we would be using very low voltage relays so that they could be triggered from typical speaker voltages. Once the first relay triggers, its coil is removed from the circuit so as not to interfere with the signal path. A wall wart would supply the relay power to hold the armature and light your LEDs.
http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/Header_Bracket_422.jpg