PDA

View Full Version : 117H surround?

johnaec
09-19-2004, 07:37 PM
I can pick up a pair of L46's locally at a great price but wondered if the surround on the 8" 117H is foam or corrugated? The owner is clueless and only communicatin is by email. I'd like to know for sure so I can hopefully convey how to determine their condition before driving out of my way to look at them. He says they're in great condition, but you know how that goes... If they're OK I figure I'll find some use for them...the price is right, and I've alway wanted a small set of JBL's.

John

Don C
09-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Those would have foam surrounds.

johnaec
09-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Thanks - John

Stephen Sykes
08-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Hello,
I am new to this list and admittedly a novice at speaker repair/maintenance. My wife and I were fortunate to recently become owners of a pair of L46's. Unfortunately, one of the woofers appears to have been damaged and is producing an undesireable hiss/crackle when bass hits.

Can anyone offer advice on how technical a procedure it is to replace these woofer cones? I have gathered that I need the 117H for replacement. I'm just trying to assess whether this is something I can do or does it need professional attention?

Thanks for your time.
Stephen

ARRAY
03-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi, the 117H used a thin guage neoprene undermount edge on it.

Neoprene doesn't go soft and gooey like a foam surround when it ages, instead it gets brittle and shatters.

I'd recommend replacing with a pre-damped cloth edge. Once on there, it'll last indefinetely.

I just put up a pair of 117H for auction on Wednesday.