PDA

View Full Version : Something Big This Way Comes

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Oh dear, what have I done?

With excitement and more than a bit of fear and trepidation I watched the big box van back into my driveway bringing me a very big box.

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
As a tribute to the marvelously documented (over documented?) threads of our own Titanium Dome, I thought I'd post a couple of teaser pics. :)

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 01:34 AM
This is the space they will be squeezed into... yep, it'll be tight, but I measured... they will fit!

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 01:35 AM
The picture doesn't really capture the overwhelming visual of these beasts in my modest 15' by 21' living room. The listening position is at the far vertex of a 9' equilateral triangle. From that vantage point these beasts fill your view... with eyes closed the intimidation factor is reduced and the music is nothing less than remarkable.

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Since this is not simply a listening room, it is also my living room, I've tried to reduce the visual impact of a pile of gear and yet still have it visible and well ventilated. This equipment powering the system is rather modest for such speakers, but to my ears the system isn't holding the mighty Everests back much. I'm sure a modern preamp and power amp would add a bit more of this a little less of that, and while my Bryston DAC is quite competent, there certainly are better out there, but over all... I am quite pleased with the results and even though this amp is only an 80wpc unit, the rather high sensitivity of the Everests allows them to still really rock, and quite effortlessly.

More later...

Widget

martin_wu99
03-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Since this is not simply a listening room, it is also my living room, I've tried to reduce the visual impact of a pile of gear and yet still have it visible and well ventilated. This equipment powering the system is rather modest for such speakers, but to my ears the system isn't holding the mighty Everests back much. I'm sure a modern preamp and power amp would add a bit more of this a little less of that, and while my Bryston DAC is quite competent, there certainly are better out there, but over all... I am quite pleased with the results and even though this amp is only an 80wpc unit, the rather high sensitivity of the Everests allows them to still really rock, and quite effortlessly.

More later...

Widget
Someone happy in this way:applaud:

richluvsound
03-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Widget ,

huge congratulations Sir :applaud:

Rich

timc
03-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Congratulations with your new speakers!:applaud:

tom1040
03-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Very nice, Mr. Widget. Two questions:

What happened to that cool black phone? The Arrays did not work out for you?

jblnut
03-08-2012, 05:59 AM
WOW doesn't even come close! I knew someone here would eventually show up with a pair - congrats!!!!

jblnut

Valentin
03-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Bravo bravo bravisimo. Woww congrats.

Iam happy for you.

mikebake
03-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Please post further insights as they develop.

grumpy
03-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Wicked.

JBLAddict
03-08-2012, 07:41 AM
YOU. HAVE. GOT. TO. BE. KIDDING. ME ??

OMG!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not even sure what comment or question to ask, but I'll start with this:

very first impression of the E2 compared to the also great 1400 in your own home in the same spot?

maxwedge
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Very nice!:rockon1:

1audiohack
03-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Oooo! Can't wait to hear those!

louped garouv
03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
suuuuuuuweeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt!

have fun enjoying them! :)

Charles0322
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
If anyone is worthy of such a beautiful set of fine speakers it is you!

Congrats :bouncy::applaud:

timc
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Btw folks. My brand new LS40 arrived today.............:o:

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
First, let me say, thank you to everyone for the kind words... and yes, I do realize just how lucky I am. :bouncy:

What happened to that cool black phone? The Arrays did not work out for you?Are you kidding? I love the 1400 Arrays. They are not going away... they are simply taking a vacation. :D

This phone? (See below) I moved it to the other side of the left speaker... now if anyone knows about phones I'd love some help. I brought this phone back from Austria, I found it in an old factory that was shut down... they literally had a pile of them on the floor. While I was in Austria I used it... it has a beautiful bell tone and works quite well, however here in the US the voltage appears to be higher and the ring sounds off and the phone itself distorts. If anyone knows about a way to convert it or an adapter, shoot me a PM.

Widget

4313B
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Very nice Mr. Widget! :)

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Please post further insights as they develop.

Not even sure what comment or question to ask, but I'll start with this:

very first impression of the E2 compared to the also great 1400 in your own home in the same spot?There are many...

1. The most obvious is what is gained at higher SPLs.
2. Bass quality and extension.
3. Overall level of detail.
4. Imaging.

Let me just say that both the Everests and the 1400 Arrays are unusually good loudspeakers by anyone's definition. They are also both far more expensive than most loudspeakers, but both have a surprising number of competitors at their respective price points. In comparing the two loudspeakers I'll run down the list above as these are the first things I've noticed that are different between them.

1. The Everests as well as the 1400s and many, many other speakers will play back >100dB with relatively low distortion. That said, when I turn up the 1400s past about 100dB it sounds loud and I feel compelled to turn it down. With the Everests, it simply sounds more like live music. (In a good way.) You are even tempted to turn it up higher, but the desire to continue enjoying music in my old age is all I need to return to sanity. The Everests like the 4350/55 just plays damned loud in a remarkably seductive way... though the extra $50K+ cost of the Everests does buy more than a more stylish look. These things are virtually sonically invisible... even as they thunder.

2. As Zilch would testify, I am a sucker for the sound of the LE14H-3 woofer's sound. That said, these Everests simply kick their butts! They certainly don't reach down quite as far, but then the LE14H-3s don't get down to the bottom like the Sub1500s or other really good subs either. If you must have subterranean bass, the Everests get down low enough that sub augmentation should be fairly easy to implement in a sonically invisible way. The fact is, very, very few music recordings actually have bass that is below the bottom of the Everests... even deep synth bass like that on Boz Scagg's Dig, thanks HJ, pressurizes the room with remarkable power... and no, it doesn't have to be blasting. Regardless of my comments in point #1, I rarely play back at those levels. The point is, that even though in an anechoic environment, the Everests may be rather anemic in the bass dept., in my very "real world" living room, the bass is outstanding, both deep and tight and punchy as hell.

3. I love the overall level of detail I get from the 1400 Arrays... the Everests simply do it better. No glare, not a trace of harshness, but all of the veils are lifted and you get to hear it all.

4. Imaging. The 1400s image like good "audiophile" speakers, the Everests also image well, but the sound is wider and the sound much bigger, this may be a plus or a minus. Imaging is a hi-fi "effect", personally I enjoy it and my room with the speakers effectively having no wall behind them between the speakers and quite a few feet to the side walls allows speakers to image rather well. That said, I think my preference is for the slightly smaller image of the 1400s, but this bigger image is also quite compelling. I am not complaining, but describing... and in my experience listening to live music, you never get the hi-fi image effect, so I suppose one could argue the Everets are truer to the music.

Widget

JBLAddict
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM

What happened to that cool black phone? The Arrays did not work out for you?

funny because in the array pic it was the first thing I noticed, and thought, "what a cool phone, would love to have something like that in my house"

JBLAddict
03-08-2012, 10:40 AM

NEED pics and details in a separate thread, this place has been lifeless for too long!

A good LS, E2 discussion is what the JBL Dr ordered

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Oooo! Can't wait to hear those!See you later this month! ;)

Yes, these are in my home and I am one lucky SOB, but they are here because they are demo speakers for our company. If you would like a demo, send me a PM and I'll try to arrange something. I do realize few of us can actually afford these, but if you would like to hear them and are in the area, shoot me a note and we'll see what we can do.

Oh, and if you are actually interested in possibly buying a pair, my schedule will likely be even more flexible. :D

Widget

Krunchy
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Congratulations Mr. Widget! They look stunning!
Do you feel that they take over the room, its kind of hard to get a sense of scale.
I like the gear Cabinet, very stealthy, lovely solution.

Enjoy!!!:)

Jonis
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Great stuff all around. Congrats Mr. Widget,

BTW- JBLaddict, we regret to inform you that your time slot has been taken by someone else. Please adjust your schedule accordingly*

*hint: recently seen in JBLaddict's signature:
L100A L7 L5 L1 EC35 LC1, L8400P, PS1400x2, PT800x4, PC600, Everest D66000 from 11pm-7am

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Congratulations Mr. Widget! They look stunning!Do you feel that they take over the room, its kind of hard to get a sense of scale.I like the gear Cabinet, very stealthy, lovely solution.Enjoy!!!:)You won't miss them walking in that's for sure! :D

Actually I would prefer something a little less imposing. A couple of years ago I had a pair of K2-S9900s temporarily in the same locations... they did look the best. My wife actually liked the way they looked in the room. She thought the 1400s were simply a bit goofy looking... she would likely dislike these, but she is no longer in the equation. ;)

Widget

Krunchy
03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
:D Well, that certainly will go a long way in your enjoyment of them.

The reason why I was curious as to their physical presense is that, if you had a pair of 4345's set up in the same place they would just look like two huge boxes.
Aesthetically these look quite elegant and even if they are big in their own right they blend in nicely within the room.
Size wise, how big are they compared to the 4345's?

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
The reason why I was curious as to their physical presense is that, if you had a pair of 4345's set up in the same place they would just look like two huge boxes.
Aesthetically these look quite elegant and even if they are big in their own right they blend in nicely within the room.
Size wise, how big are they compared to the 4345's?I agree... I have these a little over a foot out from the wall at the shallowest point and because of their curved shape they are not as visually oppressive as two ginormous boxes would be... I actually booted my Project Widgets out of this room because of their depth... they were really in my face.

As for a comparison with a 4345, the 4345 is about 3" shallower, 5" shorter and about 10" narrower... these are not small, but as you point out their shape makes them work much better... I am actually getting used to them.

"The JBL Everest DD66000, a speaker you can get used to!" Perhaps, ad slogans aren't my thing. :D

Widget

Titanium Dome
03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Very nice. :)

Now if you could get a pair of those Mark Levinson mono blocks that Greg Timbers uses to power the ones in the Northridge listening room, you'd really be on the way.

pathfindermwd
03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Congratulations Widget!:applaud:

You deserve to enjoy them!

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Very nice. :)

Now if you could get a pair of those Mark Levinson mono blocks that Greg Timbers uses to power the ones in the Northridge listening room, you'd really be on the way.You think?

80 watts is plenty in my room... perhaps a better 80 watts, but a 500 watt mono block?

I'll be popping in a friend's vintage Beveridge RM1 tube preamp tomorrow, that might be interesting. Don't get me wrong, I know there are better amps, and that big Levinson is a very, very good amp, but after living with these for a day and a half, I realize the 400 watt Halo JC-1s I was considering aren't necessary either.

My current amp has averaging rms meters and at subjectively very loud levels it is putting out peaks ~10 watts... instantaneous peaks might be 80-100 watts, but it is damned loud! I need to fire up CLIO and see just how loud it really is... be interesting to get an in room response measurement too.

Widget

grumpy
03-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I am actually getting used to them.

:lol_fit:

Sure would be fun to try an XA1[06]0.5 pair, if they were available.

Titanium Dome
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
You think?

80 watts is plenty in my room... perhaps a better 80 watts, but a 500 watt mono block?

I'll be popping in a friend's vintage Beveridge RM1 tube preamp tomorrow, that might be interesting. Don't get me wrong, I know there are better amps, and that big Levinson is a very, very good amp, but after living with these for a day and a half, I realize the 400 watt Halo JC-1s I was considering aren't necessary either.

My current amp has averaging rms meters and at subjectively very loud levels it is putting out peaks ~10 watts... instantaneous peaks might be 80-100 watts, but it is damned loud! I need to fire up CLIO and see just how loud it really is... be interesting to get an in room response measurement too.

Widget

Sure it's overkill, but perhaps not. ;) I've rarely heard anything to match the E2s driven by those amps in that room, and we weren't playing them loud, probably using 3-5W or even less most of the time. The gear you had at CAS to drive the E2s almost two years ago was good quality stuff, and yes the room was challenging, but the E2s were nowhere close to delivering the same level of performance.

As for loudness, it's easy to hurt yourself with speakers that good. Playing them loud, louder, loudest is just so effortless (with the right amp), because they can handle everything the amp can throw at 'em. I'd need to get a limiter installed to keep me from killing myself.

timc
03-08-2012, 02:20 PM
This is what you need: http://www.industrial-needs.com/technical-data/sound-level-meter-soundear.htm

tom1040
03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Sure it's overkill, but perhaps not. ;) I've rarely heard anything to match the E2s driven by those amps in that room, and we weren't playing them loud, probably using 3-5W or even less most of the time. The gear you had at CAS to drive the E2s almost two years ago was good quality stuff, and yes the room was challenging, but the E2s were nowhere close to delivering the same level of performance.

As for loudness, it's easy to hurt yourself with speakers that good. Playing them loud, louder, loudest is just so effortless (with the right amp), because they can handle everything the amp can throw at 'em. I'd need to get a limiter installed to keep me from killing myself.

I know I would have to as well. I sure do wish the Arrays sensitivity was higher than 89db. That would have been awesome. Oh well. The E2 and S9900 seems too big for my small room anyway. They look pretty damn cool in your room, Mr. Widget. :)

Titanium Dome
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
This is what you need: http://www.industrial-needs.com/technical-data/sound-level-meter-soundear.htm

To flash back a decade or so, that thing is dope!

Widget could put one on each Everest.

jblnut
03-08-2012, 03:15 PM
It's dope alright - about 2 Z's worth....over $600.

I still want one !

jblnut

louped garouv
03-08-2012, 03:19 PM
To flash back a decade or so, that thing is dope!

Widget could put one on each Everest.

wonder if you can buy a left and right ear;
or if you'd have to customize them yourself?

louped garouv
03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
It's dope alright - about 2 Z's worth....over $600.

I still want one !

jblnut

prices in colorado are down due to the abundant supply....
even top shelf.... is what i hear from the stoned age guys....
:dont-know:

Krunchy
03-08-2012, 04:13 PM
As for a comparison with a 4345, the 4345 is about 3" shallower, 5" shorter and about 10" narrower... these are not small, (THE BIGGER THE BETTER) but as you point out their shape makes them work much better... I am actually getting used to them.

"The JBL Everest DD66000, a speaker you can get used to!"Perhaps, ad slogans aren't my thing. :DWidget

:rotfl::rotfl: Thats actually very good, not too aggressive a pitch, there's good money in that field too.

You guys are on a tear! :D :rotfl:

hwirt
03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Congratulations Mr. Widget, they look absolutely amazing! :applaud:

DavidF
03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
The picture doesn't really capture the overwhelming visual of these beasts in my modest 15' by 21' living room. The listening position is at the far vertex of a 9' equilateral triangle. From that vantage point these beasts fill your view... with eyes closed the intimidation factor is reduced and the music is nothing less than remarkable.

Widget

Hmmm, is that a load-bearing wall behind the systems? You don't really NEED a dining room, do you?

BMWCCA
03-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Wow! Just . . . wow!
You are now the custodian of all of our dreams. Allow us to live vicariously through—at least for a little while.
I hope we don't wear you out with questions.

1. The Everests as well as the 1400s and many, many other speakers will play back >100dB with relatively low distortion. That said, when I turn up the 1400s past about 100dB it sounds loud and I feel compelled to turn it down. With the Everests, it simply sounds more like live music. (In a good way.) You are even tempted to turn it up higher, but the desire to continue enjoying music in my old age is all I need to return to sanity. The Everests like the 4350/55 just plays damned loud in a remarkably seductive way... though the extra $50K+ cost of the Everests does buy more than a more stylish look.I find this true with my 4345s running bi-amped Crown PS400 and PS200. Even when my wife is listening with me and I sneak the level up a bit, she's comfortable in the room. But once she leaves and comes back, "Would you mind if I turn that down", or (sometimes) she'll just reach for the volume knob. At high SPL they are just so smooth you don't even notice how loud they are . . . or don't care!

2.The fact is, very, very few music recordings actually have bass that is below the bottom of the Everests... even deep synth bass like that on Boz Scagg's Dig, thanks HJ, pressurizes the room with remarkable power... and no, it doesn't have to be blasting. Regardless of my comments in point #1, I rarely play back at those levels. The point is, that even though in an anechoic environment, the Everests may be rather anemic in the bass dept., in my very "real world" living room, the bass is outstanding, both deep and tight and punchy as hell.I avoided buying Dig even after working with Boz at the Dukes of September concert a year or so back. Always loved him but hearing Dig on other systems had me thinking they'd really overdone the bass to the point of making it unenjoyable. Well, I bought Dig about a week ago when I needed a bit of change to reach Amazon's "free shipping" level on a book. I continue to be amazed at how well the 4345s handle that "overkill" bass and I really enjoy most of the album. I just can't imagine how it must sound on the E2s but I'd love to find out someday. Another CD with similar low-end you would probably enjoy on the E2s would be Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter, if you haven't already.

I stand in awe and can only applaud the chutzpah of what you've done. :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
03-08-2012, 05:33 PM
they are here because they are demo speakers for our company. Widget I'm confused ...was going to PM you to ask that when you kick the old Arrays to the curb, to give me a heads up , but I read the above and conclude that the new ones are company demos ?:dont-know:

They are not yours permanently ? That someone with bux can plop down and you will be back to the 1400's ??:dont-know:

sure, a nice spot to be in...but the day they go away ....:crying:
and for you company..the sooner the better ? and yes, hardships like that are fun...

rdgrimes
03-08-2012, 05:40 PM
They are not yours permanently ? That someone with bux can plop down and you will be back to the 1400's ??:dont-know:

Yeah, that really sucks. :crying:

Wish that we could all have such a problem.

Titanium Dome
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah, that really sucks. :crying:

Wish that we could all have such a problem.

So the most beautiful and friendly person you've ever met, someone you've admired from afar says, "I'm looking for a place to stay for a while. I'll cook, I'll clean, I'll sing sweetly in your ear day and night, I'll do the gardening, I'll do the laundry, I'll give you any type of sex you want as often as you want, I'll let you bring your friends over to admire your good fortune, and I'll give you a hot bath and massage every day, including a thorough licking in places that you like to be licked. The only catch is, someday I will go away from you with someone else, but until then, I'm yours."

Some people would say, "No way! You're either committing to being with me forever, or you're not coming in. You have to be mine, we have to be exclusive, or it's not right."

I'd say, "Here's the keys to the house; let's have sex" before she or he changed their mind.

Widget? Over to you...

Were we talking about Everests or marriage? I forget.

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Sure it's overkill, but perhaps not. ;) I've rarely heard anything to match the E2s driven by those amps in that room, and we weren't playing them loud, probably using 3-5W or even less most of the time. The gear you had at CAS to drive the E2s almost two years ago was good quality stuff, and yes the room was challenging, but the E2s were nowhere close to delivering the same level of performance.I agree that the Everests as set up by Mr. Timbers at the factory with an Ed Meitner front end and the mighty Levinsons for power sound a hell of a lot better than ours did at the CAS show... and we did have a pile of expensive gear running them. I am currently running a far more modest system than either the CAS system or the one Greg gets to use... and these Everests in my living room sound a hell of a lot better than our pair at the CAS demo. Rooms matter. Next time you are up here, drop by. :)

In my previous comments about the big Levinson No. 53s... I am not suggesting my system wouldn't sound better with them, but I think a lower power option like the one Grumpy suggested makes more sense.

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I know I would have to as well. I sure do wish the Arrays sensitivity was higher than 89db. That would have been awesome.I should have listed sensitivity in my initial comparison between the Everests and the 1400 Arrays... the 7 or so dB of added sensitivity is a big deal. With the 1400s while I really liked the sound of my little 80 watt amp and I liked the 30 watt Pass Labs even more, a bigger amp really is necessary for me to fully enjoy them.

The E2 and S9900 seems too big for my small room anyway. They look pretty damn cool in your room, Mr. Widget. :)As I mentioned, the K2-S9900s were once positioned as these Everests are... their visual impact is no more and possibly less intrusive than the 1400s... they are certainly a shallower design even though they are slightly wider.

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm confused ...was going to PM you to ask that when you kick the old Arrays to the curb, to give me a heads up , but I read the above and conclude that the new ones are company demos ?:dont-know:

sure, a nice spot to be in...but the day they go away ....:crying:
and for you company..the sooner the better ? and yes, hardships like that are fun...Well, truth be told the 1400s were originally demos too... but I decided I wouldn't let them go. :)

By contract with JBL these demo Everests are to be on display for one year. At the end of that time I may sell them or keep them... ask me again next March. I may then be selling my 1400s, these Everests, or none of the above... life is uncertain.

Widget

JBLAddict
03-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Great stuff all around. Congrats Mr. Widget,

BTW- JBLaddict, we regret to inform you that your time slot has been taken by someone else. Please adjust your schedule accordingly*

*hint: recently seen in JBLaddict's signature:
L100A L7 L5 L1 EC35 LC1, L8400P, PS1400x2, PT800x4, PC600, Everest D66000 from 11pm-7am

congrats, you're either the first to notice or the first to point out that you noticed ;)

if Widget be staying up a wee bit later these days, yes, suppose I will need to adjust my schedule :p

speakerdave
03-08-2012, 10:34 PM
That's pretty cool! I'm glad for you, Widget.

yggdrasil
03-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Very nice Widget. Congrats and ENJOY!

caladois
03-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Enjoy !!!

ronaltronics
03-09-2012, 04:40 AM
WELL WELL WELL.. CONGRATS WIDGET.

I think you now have a few problems.

1. Twelve month's is not a long period of time.

2. I think they will be extremely hard to send back.

3. Now you get to play with something most people on this planet never even get to see, never mind hear.

4. It's about time someone in California represents JBL properly.

Enjoy the beasts while you have them. A shout out from Canada. And from personal experience they are Magnificent.:cool:

rusty jefferson
03-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Looks like somebody is going to be spending more time at home this year. Congratulations putting that deal together. Pretty sweet. :)

Like the folks on Antiques Roadshow who find out the painting Uncle Fred left them is worth 75k, let your insurance guy know about those babies.

ivica
03-09-2012, 06:53 AM
.... I am currently running a far more modest system than either the CAS system or the one Greg gets to use... and these Everests in my living room sound a hell of a lot better than our pair at the CAS demo. Rooms matter.

Widget

Any words to compare with old 4350/4355 or even smaller 4345 ????

Ivica

Wornears
03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Mr. Widget: Outstanding! Congrats. Here's my entry for a personalized new/old ad slogan for you and your beautiful speakers: "The JBL Everest DD66000, ask the man who has a pair!

spkrman57
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm green with envy....even if you only have them for a short while it will be a experience most of us will never get the chance to enjoy!

Regards, Ron

Jonis
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
congrats, you're either the first to notice or the first to point out that you noticed ;)

if Widget be staying up a wee bit later these days, yes, suppose I will need to adjust my schedule :p

Are you kidding me? You plop those in my living/listening room and I might be tempted to grab some sleep after the 3rd or 4th day, maybe.

Mr. Widget
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Any words to compare with old 4350/4355 or even smaller 4345 ????

IvicaThe 4350/55 are similar in their ability to get powerfully loud, but that is where the similarity ends... these speakers sound great, plain and simple. The 4345 is a little more refined sounding but doesn't have the ability to thunder quite as well as those dual 15" designs... I'm not sure about the 4435. I've heard the 4430 numerous times in many locations, but I've never heard the 4435. I'd assume tough that even with the dual 15s, only having a 1.75" driver above they are more limited.

Regardless, that is all about a pounding rock concert experience, while fun... most of us don't spend the lion share of our listening time pulverizing our brains, well at least I hope we don't. The Everest can do that as well or better than any of them, but that is like saying a particular Ferrari can go 195... sure, and that is cool, but how it drives at 50-100 is more important. And just as a Ferrari at 55 running through some curves is light years beyond your basic Chevy, in normal listening there is simply no comparison between the Everests and the vintage JBL studio monitors... or almost anything else.

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Are you kidding me? You plop those in my living/listening room and I might be tempted to grab some sleep after the 3rd or 4th day, maybe.There is some truth in that... I've been up listening until 1:00 every night since they arrived. Last night I went out in the yard to make sure it wasn't too loud and possibly disturbing the neighbors... I used to live in a warehouse and there were no neighbors. Times change.

Yeah, I could get used to them being here. ;)

Widget

hjames
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
There is some truth in that... I've been up listening until 1:00 every night since they arrived. Last night I went out in the yard to make sure it wasn't too loud and possibly disturbing the neighbors... I used to live in a warehouse and there were no neighbors. Times change.

Yeah, I could get used to them being here. ;)

Widget
:bouncy: Well, all your Lansing Forum friends are quite envious and we all want to come listen!http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

Mr. Widget
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
:bouncy: Well, all your Lansing Forum friends are quite envious and we all want to come listen!:bouncy:I won't say you are all invited, but most are. :rotfl:

Seriously, they will certainly be here for at least a year and I'd be happy to share... if you do plan a trip to the SF Bay Area, avoid July and August, it tends to be cold and foggy. That may be fine for Everest listening, but it isn't much fun being a tourist here wearing a Golden Gate sweatshirt in the middle of summer with all of the tourists.

Widget

JBLAddict
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
will be an interesting post the day you have to part with them :(

gather you'll spend the next 12 months plotting ways to keep em :dont-know: i know if it was me that's what would be happening: food, do I really need that much of it? yeah, I have a car, but isn't a bike adequate? I've always thought about housing an exchange student? they already sell crack in my area, is another dealer really going to make a difference :D?

pos
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Beside the larger direcitivty, how would you compare them to your TAD DIY ?

(sub1500, TAD TL1102, TD4003/TH4003, ET703)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=32297&stc=1&d=1209340064

Mr. Widget
03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Beside the larger direcitivty, how would you compare them to your TAD DIY ?As it turns out I did listen to my Project Widgets and the Project Everests back to back yesterday... they are remarkably similar yet also different. Both systems are very detailed (4" Be in both), the exceptional TL-1102 from TAD and the exceptional 1501AL obviously help to contribute to this. On some recordings you do "hear" the extended bass the Sub1500 offers... I suppose the greatest difference is that the Everest is a bit more "upfront" and the imaging is bigger. The Project Widget is not as focused (in the mini monitor imaging sense) as the 1400 Array, but is somewhere in between the Everest and the 1400.

Obviously for sheer power, the Everest kills the Project Widgets at higher SPLs. That 10" midbass can not compete with the 1501 once you push the power levels.

Widget

Titanium Dome
03-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Regardless, that is all about a pounding rock concert experience, while fun... most of us don't spend the lion share of our listening time pulverizing our brains, well at least I hope we don't.

Widget

65% dance, trance, house, and club mixes; 20% hard rock; 10% acoustical and vocal; 4% classical and ensemble; 1% world music, jazz, new age, and big band. That's my basic mix, and I've heard them all on the Everest. Obviously, I've heard them all much more frequently on K2 S9900s. I'll have to spend a couple of days at your house to really get a handle on the contrasts.

Got an extra room? :D

Mr. Widget
03-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Got an extra room? :DBetter than that... the couch that is the listening position is a hide a bed. :bouncy:

Widget

ivica
03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
The 4350/55 are similar in their ability to get powerfully loud, but that is where the similarity ends... these speakers sound great, plain and simple. The 4345 is a little more refined sounding but doesn't have the ability to thunder quite as well as those dual 15" designs... I'm not sure about the 4435. I've heard the 4430 numerous times in many locations, but I've never heard the 4435. I'd assume tough that even with the dual 15s, only having a 1.75" driver above they are more limited.

Regardless, that is all about a pounding rock concert experience, while fun... most of us don't spend the lion share of our listening time pulverizing our brains, well at least I hope we don't. The Everest can do that as well or better than any of them, but that is like saying a particular Ferrari can go 195... sure, and that is cool, but how it drives at 50-100 is more important. And just as a Ferrari at 55 running through some curves is light years beyond your basic Chevy, in normal listening there is simply no comparison between the Everests and the vintage JBL studio monitors... or almost anything else.

Widget

Many thanks for your answers.

Regards
Ivica

richluvsound
03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Would to hear this on those :D Best thing I have heard in years

tomt
03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
As a tribute to the marvelously documented (over documented?) threads of our own Titanium Dome, I thought I'd post a couple of teaser pics. :)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=55009&stc=1&d=1331195583

any plans for the yellow things on the bottom of the pallet?

Wardsweb
03-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow, just wow...well maybe some drool.

JBLAddict
03-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Any progress on that LS series thread? :D

cmon a pic of the box, cabinet, connects, just one driver....daddy needs!!

Mr. Widget
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM

cmon a pic of the box, cabinet, connects, just one driver....daddy needs!!I had a pair of LS80s briefly at home a couple of years back... they are really a great bargain. The LS Series look great and sound pretty damned good, sure it's all relative, but at their price point, a real bargain.

Sorry, I don't have any pics either. :(

Widget

timc
03-11-2012, 01:59 PM

cmon a pic of the box, cabinet, connects, just one driver....daddy needs!!

I'll bring my camera home tomorrow. It's currently at the office.

I had not planned on buying new speakers but a local shop had them for 50% off, so I could not resist. I have concluded that my room is not large enough for the 2213/H9800 combination. One of the enclosures serves as a turntable stand for now..............

maxwedge
03-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Better than that... the couch that is the listening position is a hide a bed. :bouncy:

Widget
Sleep over??:D

Mr. Widget
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Sleep over??:DWell.... maybe not. :)

But bring a stack of CDs, you're invited! :bouncy:

I took today off, but listened extensively yesterday and even had a couple of customers come by. The response has been pretty universal... they are an amazing pair of speakers. Both of these guys are avid audio geeks and have owned a ton of gear, one has owned several speakers in this price range and is tempted even though their width is a challenge for his room. Each listened for a couple of hours and obviously weren't anxious to leave.

As for their massive size, I must say it again: "The JBL Everest DD66000, a speaker you can get used to!"

Widget

pos
03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
I took today off, but listened extensively yesterday and even had a couple of customers come by.

Your days off are when you stop listening to these speakers?
I want your job! :D

Mr. Widget
03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
I want your job! :DWell, that's not exactly how it works, but on the best days that is pretty much it. :D

Widget

Chas
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
OMG Widget, fantastic. Is that the same room where I heard Project Widget?

Mr. Widget
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
OMG Widget, fantastic. Is that the same room where I heard Project Widget?Same room... when was that 3-4 years ago? The clutter is now gone... ;). I believe I only had the Project Widgets running in some form of limp mode at the time. I was never able to get them dialed in here, both due to equipment shortage and the physical layout of the room. That said, these beasts sound pretty darned good here.

Widget

maxwedge
03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
But bring a stack of CDs, you're invited! :bouncy:

Widget
I have your number!:D

I'm off this weekend so I'll give you a call towards the end of the week

Scott

Chas
03-13-2012, 05:26 AM
Same room... when was that 3-4 years ago? The clutter is now gone... ;). I believe I only had the Project Widgets running in some form of limp mode at the time. I was never able to get them dialed in here, both due to equipment shortage and the physical layout of the room. That said, these beasts sound pretty darned good here.

Widget

Yeah, it has been a while....need to do it again! By the way, the Bryston BDA sounds much better if you can utilize the balanced output into a suitable preamp.

Please keep us posted on your listening impressions - we are all living the dream, vicariously!

SEAWOLF97
03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
OK Widget

you are one of the few who have heard both the E2 and 9900. How do they compare to your ears ?
and pricewise ? (since I don't really shop this strata of speakers)

is the 1400 even in the same ballpark ?

us groggy 'philes wanna know ...;)

Mr. Widget
03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah, it has been a while....need to do it again! By the way, the Bryston BDA sounds much better if you can utilize the balanced output into a suitable preamp.

Please keep us posted on your listening impressions - we are all living the dream, vicariously!With luck, perhaps you could make it out here again during the Everest's tenure... looking like it might be a longer and longer one with each passing day. ;)

Balanced? I can believe that, but unfortunately my current preamp doesn't offer that option... and at present I am in no position to change that as you might well imagine. :)

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
OK Widget

you are one of the few who have heard both the E2 and 9900. How do they compare to your ears ?
and pricewise ? (since I don't really shop this strata of speakers)

is the 1400 even in the same ballpark ?

us groggy 'philes wanna know ...;)I think those are excellent questions.

Since JBL compares their products to the competition at each price point and only releases a product when their professional listening panel prefers the new JBL over the competition in a double blind comparison that should guaranty that moving from the $12K 1400 Array, to the $44K K2-S9900, to the $60K Everest DD66000, it should be a clear step up each time.

In my far less scientific but perhaps more meaningful listening sessions here at home, I have been lucky enough to enjoy all three of these marvelous speakers... and all three are marvelous. JBL is not the sole source of fantastic loudspeakers by the way, but these three are all really great speakers. The Everest is absolutely the best, but listening is subjective and we don't all have the same goals, so it's compromises may make it less of the stand out for some and more of a stand out to others. What it offers is absolute effortlessness and transparency. The speaker is simply not there getting in the way of the music. Like its two siblings they are all voiced quite neutrally, but because of it phenomenal dynamic capabilities it seems to be almost completely invisible. But like all loudspeakers, I suppose like everything made by man, there are compromises. The deep extended bass is missing. The imaging is a bit more diffuse than some would like. The forward nature of the sound might not appeal to everyone... and then there is the physical and practical. These speakers simply won't fit in every space and they are so damned expensive that very few can actually afford them. But that is it... if you can get past the physical and the cost, there are few if any speakers that really do what they do. As I type this I am constantly interrupted by the music. It is so compelling that I get sucked in and am transported to the studio or the performance hall. It is really phenomenal... and it puts a really big grin on your face.

The K2-S9900s were here almost two years ago for about a month so I am going from memory. I did have the 1400 Arrays concurrently as I do today so I can use them as something of a benchmark. In many ways the K2s are very similar to the Everests. Now when they were here I had a TOTL Mark Levinson system on loan... a vastly better (how do you define vastly... certainly much better) system than the one I own and am currently enjoying. That said, I do not remember the openness and transparency of the upper range (vocals, guitars, piano etc.) to be as much better than the 1400 Array as I have experienced with the Everests. The K2s were absolutely more transparent and more dynamic than the 1400 Arrays, but it seemed more incremental. Could this be that my current system is limiting and the Everests free it up to perform at it's best? It could be many things... but as best as I can compare, the K2s were certainly more sensitive, more dynamic, more diffuse in their imaging like the Everests, and absolutely in need of a quality sub. The Everests most certainly can be enjoyed with no sub... I could not say that for the K2s. Of course if you listen exclusively to music that has no deep bass then no sub is needed. On the plus side, the K2's form factor means it can work in almost any room. Properly mated with an exceptional sub, or two, it will likely give the Everest a run for the money. I don't think it'll ever have quite the same ability to offer up the massive acoustic onslaught in quite the same way that the Everest is capable of, but in many ways it is similar.

Now, the 1400 Arrays... Well, how can a $12K loudspeaker be a bargain? It is plain and simple, they are maximizing most of the data points on the compromise list. They are simply not as good as the Everests or the K2s, but they are close and their sound is just damned compelling. I don't think any speaker can please everyone, but the 1400 arrays are simply an amazing loudspeaker that image well enough to satisfy the "audiophile" and dynamic enough to satisfy all but the, "I must have a fully horn loaded system" set. They aren't as dynamic and effortless as their two bigger and more costly siblings, and they do need a big amp, but they are really, really good. I'd put them up against almost any loudspeaker made. They won't best everything, but they won't embarrass themselves either.

Widget

Titanium Dome
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Are you asking me to get grumpy to help me load up the K2s, the ATIs, the 990, the balanced interconnects, and the Monster Z Series cables, and bring them up to your place for a three-for-all? :dont-know:

No freaking subs, no frickin' vinyl, no damned disks, no c-s tubes, just lossless files from your iPod through the Wadia to 990's DAC to fully balanced outputs... :applaud:

Hope you've got a pallet jack or forklift.

4313B
03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Now, the 1400 Arrays... Well, how can a $12K loudspeaker be a bargain?They make for an outstanding upgrade from an L220/L222, 240Ti, or L250/250Ti. :yes:

$12k just happens to be the upgrade cost.

Then and now:

LE14H 1980 $200.00 each
LE14H-3 2012 $325.00 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)

LE175 1980 $240 each
LE85 1980 $285 each
175ND-3 2012 $250 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)

tom1040
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
"175ND-3 2012 $250 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)"

What speaker do those appear in?

4313B
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Oops, sorry. 4429, SAM3, S4600, S4700 among others.

435AL 2012 $325 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)

(435BE 2012 $905 each)

moparfan
03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
How do they do service over there - do they have spare parts on a shelf or is there a long waiting time?

If a dealer was willing could they get "spares"?

Oops, sorry. 4429, SAM3, S4600, S4700 among others.

435AL 2012 $325 each (but you can't just buy them at will anymore)

(435BE 2012 $905 each)

richluvsound
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Been there ,tried that . Dealers are not going to risk a distribution deal to sell a few parts. Once the word got out that you broke the contract one manufacturer a guy could lose his entire business - for what ?

I for one ,would not ask again.

Rich

tom1040
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
'Now, the 1400 Arrays... Well, how can a $12K loudspeaker be a bargain? It is plain and simple, they are maximizing most of the data points on the compromise list. They are simply not as good as the Everests or the K2s, but they are close and their sound is just damned compelling. I don't think any speaker can please everyone, but the 1400 arrays are simply an amazing loudspeaker that image well enough to satisfy the "audiophile" and dynamic enough to satisfy all but the, "I must have a fully horn loaded system" set. They aren't as dynamic and effortless as their two bigger and more costly siblings, and they do need a big amp, but they are really, really good. I'd put them up against almost any loudspeaker made. They won't best everything, but they won't embarrass themselves either.'

I totally agree with this statement other than I have not heard the K2 or E2.;) Perhaps the 1400 Arrays are not as dynamic & effortless since their sensitvity is quite a bit lower-by design. However, given the right AMP, these babies simply shine. I may be 'cheating' a bit with my description by having one 1500 Array adding a bit in the LF.:)

The differences in the materials/construction are not lost with me. Both of those systems look superb!

Actually, the fellow who reviewed the 1400's in Stereophile listed them a 'bargain' @ the retail tag. Since I purchased them at about 50%(delivered) of that amount, I personally consider them a steal.

Just my 2 cents.

4313B
03-14-2012, 06:13 PM
How do they do service over there - do they have spare parts on a shelf or is there a long waiting time?

If a dealer was willing could they get "spares"?Harman Japan has a stockpile of replacement drivers.

At one point it appeared that JBL loudspeaker components were for sale in Japan and the 1500AL, 435BE and 045BE were available over the counter. I'm not sure why those components were finally removed from the website. The former President of JBL Consumer certainly seemed friendly towards the DIY folks.

Mr. Widget
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Actually, the fellow who reviewed them in Stereophile listed them a 'bargain' @ the retail tag. Since I purchased them at about 50%(delivered) of that amount, I personally consider them a steal.

Just my 2 cents.I'd call it a steal too. I admit I was a bit cold on them until I heard them... the first listen at the JBL double blind listening room made a believer out of me. Living with them has only solidified that feeling. That said, I realize they are not for everyone, even if they were priced far lower. There is a reason why so many very different sounding loudspeakers exist.

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Are you asking me to get grumpy to help me load up the K2s, the ATIs, the 990, the balanced interconnects, and the Monster Z Series cables, and bring them up to your place for a three-for-all? :dont-know:

No freaking subs, no frickin' vinyl, no damned disks, no c-s tubes, just lossless files from your iPod through the Wadia to 990's DAC to fully balanced outputs... :applaud:

Hope you've got a pallet jack or forklift.No pallet jack or forklift... but a buddy of mine and I and one furniture dolly managed to safely bring in a pair of >300 lb. Everests. :blink: It isn't something I'd like to do every day, but it is possible.

You are certainly welcomed to bring a CD or even a van full of gear. Do call in advance. ;)

Widget

JuniorJBL
03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
WOW!!!!
Just Fan Freekin Tastik!!:D

They were really good at RMAF a few years back and they even had towles shoved in the ports (idiots!!):blink:

My 1400 BE versions should be here in the next week or so, Would be fun to hear what improvments these would have vs K2's and E2's. (probably the closest I will get)

BTW Widget thanks for your detailed reviews of your findings!!:)

polar_bear_0104
03-29-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm getting to this thread late-- congrats Widget!!..awesome, simply awesome to have the E2s in a home like yours...looking forward to more insights from you about their sound..

jpw
03-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Congratulations on your E2's. I've sure enjoyed mine.

maxwedge
05-28-2012, 07:02 PM

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=55011&stc=1&d=1331195738

Widget
I popped into Widgets abode today with a few cd's of my favorite types of music, mostly surf, a little pop and punk.
I must say that the Everest's almost made me want to get rid of all the gear I've collected through out the years and plop down a down payment on a pair, they sounded that solid and clear. I was amazed!:)
But then I'd get board not having anything to do but listen to music.:blink::D So I'll keep playing with my old stuff to keep my diy half happy and one day maybe I can get that stuff to sound close to what I heard today but now I know it can never be as good.

Thank you for entertaining me sir!:)

Mr. Widget
05-28-2012, 09:55 PM
You are quite welcomed "Max". :)
I'm glad you came by with those discs... it is always fun to hear new music, and better still when you get to share it!

As for the mighty beasts in my living room, I am becoming more and more mesmerized by them and their capabilities. I still love the 1400 Arrays, but I do think I'll be finding a new use for them... I can't see giving the Everests up as my main system speakers.

Widget

Regis
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
...As for the mighty beasts in my living room, I am becoming more and more mesmerized by them and their capabilities. I still love the 1400 Arrays, but I do think I'll be finding a new use for them... I can't see giving the Everests up as my main system speakers.

Widget

It is no use resisting! You've succumbed to the big beasts and I'll bet that you don't walk by them without admiring them lovingly :p and you might even run your hand across the smooth finish and feel happy. I'll also bet that you're spending some serious selfish time with them too! That has to be one of my favorite pasttimes is being alone with my beauties, remote control in one hand and a cold IPA in the other!:D

DavidF
05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I popped into Widgets abode today with a few cd's of my favorite types of music, mostly surf, a little pop and punk.
I must say that the Everest's almost made me want to get rid of all the gear I've collected through out the years and plop down a down payment on a pair, they sounded that solid and clear. I was amazed!:)
But then I'd get board not having anything to do but listen to music.:blink::D So I'll keep playing with my old stuff to keep my diy half happy and one day maybe I can get that stuff to sound close to what I heard today but now I know it can never be as good.

Thank you for entertaining me sir!:)

I would also like to thank Widget and acknowledge his gracious hospitality. I was able to listen to the "Beasts" on a visit to pick up some packages from Widget (another story). All this squeezed in between my graduation ceremony trip and his Saturday evening in San Francisco. Very nice of Widget to make some time for me.:bouncy:

This was not my first visit with the DD66000 having visited the Harman room at the California Audio Show. So entering Widget’s front room I was not surprised by their imposing presence. I was surprised how they blend into the décor with their curved and fine finish that masks their sheer size. Alas, their size will not be appreciated by all who share the room with them. Neither will their ability to kill any normal conversation in the room. Or maybe even in Widget’s kitchen in the back.

Widget drives them with a modestly powered amp but, given the sensitivity, they have no problem delivering that jump factor that is important to me for life-like sound reproduction. The mid and high systems lay a superbly clean and clear image in the room without the extra bite of transient overhang. The bass… well you just can’t beat it, probably. The sound of a drum set was there in the room with the full weight and impact just as if a drum set was sitting there on left in front of me. These systems work amazing well in Widget’s front room.

The only thing I dwell on now is where Widget managed to hide away the speaker wires. Hmmm.

maxwedge
05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
The only thing I dwell on now is where Widget managed to hide away the speaker wires. Hmmm.
The wires were under the carpet, he didn't see me look.:D
They looked like 14g 2 conductor gray vinyl sheathed. Electrical house wire???

Mr. Widget
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
The wires were under the carpet, he didn't see me look.:D
They looked like 14g 2 conductor gray vinyl sheathed. Electrical house wire???Nope... guess again. :p

The part you saw was a twisted pair of 12 ga. custom installer wire pig tails soldered onto two runs of 12 ga flat ribbon copper foil unwound from an inductor... that way you can't see or feel it under the carpet. ;)

Widget

maxwedge
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
well under the carpet was correct!:p

Titanium Dome
06-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I just got dropped off by grumpy after our heroic road trip to the Widget domicile to conduct business and pleasure. We left at around 3:30 AM this morning from my place in LA. While we spent most of the day driving and talking, we did get to stop by Widget's and listen to his pride and joy, the Everest II 66000 pair. What a treat! There's no doubting why he's in love with them; he's a lucky and deserving guy. Of course, I feel lucky, too, in that I know someone who will open his home so generously and allow us take up part of his day to let us live the thrill vicariously for a while. His setting is really good, and the room seemed to accommodate the big loudspeakers well.

We also had the privilege of meeting his dad, a great gentleman who was a joy to know, and we got to meet the cat, who insisted on rubbing against my leg in a very ecstatic rhythm. I like cats, so it was nice to get a little kitty time from a very friendly feline.

Thanks, Widget! It's always a pleasure to see you, and it was extra nice to come over and hang with the big boys for a while. :banana:

Mr. Widget
06-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Glad you guys made it back safely... that's a heck of a drive for one day! You guys must have driven over 800 miles, due in part to that "wrong turn". :D

Yes, it was fun playing hooky and hanging out with fellow JBL nut cases. And it's always fun to fire up the beasts... think I'll do it now. :bouncy: Sorry about the cat, I didn't realize he got you... I leave the house with orange hair at the bottom of my pants almost every day. :eek:

Widget

grumpy
06-02-2012, 02:49 PM
It was all about the journey and compadres, wrong turns included... OK, and the pre ;)

Titanium Dome
06-02-2012, 04:52 PM
It was all about the journey and compadres, wrong turns included... OK, and the pre ;)

...and the burrito.

4313B
06-03-2012, 06:47 AM
As for the mighty beasts in my living room, I am becoming more and more mesmerized by them and their capabilities. I still love the 1400 Arrays, but I do think I'll be finding a new use for them... I can't see giving the Everests up as my main system speakers.I guess we'll see what happens in six months to a year.

Regardless of the myriad modifications others have visited upon their Everest II's there is still one glaring fact, the horn isn't vertical. Evidently that remains a problem for some people, the vertical horn seems to be a powerful draw regardless of its appearance. I think you might want to follow through with the Array horn over the 2206 and W1500H at some point (or perhaps over the latest 1500AL variant that is still in development), unless you really don't have the time and/or your significant other really can't tolerate the vertical horn thing.

The Everest II's sure do look nice in your particular room though! I do think they qualify as a work of art. I too would be inclined to call it done.

pos
06-03-2012, 08:49 AM
(or perhaps over the latest 1500AL variant that is still in development)
:hmm:
alnico version of the 1501Fe?

Mr. Widget
06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I guess we'll see what happens in six months to a year.

Regardless of the myriad modifications others have visited upon their Everest II's there is still one glaring fact, the horn isn't vertical. Evidently that remains a problem for some people, the vertical horn seems to be a powerful draw regardless of its appearance. I think you might want to follow through with the Array horn over the 2206 and W1500H at some point (or perhaps over the latest 1500AL variant that is still in development), unless you really don't have the time and/or your significant other really can't tolerate the vertical horn thing.

The Everest II's sure do look nice in your particular room though! I do think they qualify as a work of art. I too would be inclined to call it done.Over the years I have become less and less interested in mods to good equipment. They can be like facelifts... once you start you get caught up in a bizarre cycle until you are a real mess. I have several friends who have taken perfectly good pieces of audio equipment and turned them into expensive junk. I'm not saying that an intelligent tweak here or there might not be beneficial, but typically with a good design, the engineers have already maximized what can be done with the basic parts. I think a lot of the raves about audio mods is simply the "I now have a whole new music library" effect that comes from minor changes.

On the subject of vertical horns... I do see that. The two shortcomings of the Everest design as I see them are the imaging and bass extension. Both of which are positively acceptable as the speaker is and hardly worth criticism, but if the bass went deeper with no other trade off that would be appreciated, and secondly and for me more importantly if the speakers imaged with a bit more of an "audiophile" character, I wouldn't complain. The 1400 Array does do this. I think the control of horizontal reflections is the key here. I think the wide expanse of the Everest's own cabinet is hampering it's ability to offer this audio aspect. The K2-S9900 with it's very similar but narrower horn is a little "better" in this regard, though still not as "good" as the 1400 Array. That said, real music doesn't have "audiophile" imaging... it is a special effect. It just happens to be a special effect I enjoy.

That said, I have been quite content with these very live sounding speakers. There is something about the Everests that is simply a pipeline to music. It is probably the blend of neutrality and dynamics. Music just pours forth.

Widget

Titanium Dome
06-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Over the years I have become less and less interested in mods to good equipment.

On the subject of vertical horns... I do see that. The two shortcomings of the Everest design as I see them are the imaging and bass extension. .... The K2-S9900 with it's very similar but narrower horn is a little "better" in this regard, though still not as "good" as the 1400 Array. That said, real music doesn't have "audiophile" imaging... it is a special effect. It just happens to be a special effect I enjoy.

That said, I have been quite content with these very live sounding speakers. There is something about the Everests that is simply a pipeline to music. It is probably the blend of neutrality and dynamics. Music just pours forth.

Widget

Hey Widget, you're talking way too much sense here. Stop it! :scold:

Okay, I'm actually in agreement with you, but maybe a few cycles ahead in figuring out for me that I don't want to mess around with other people's good or great work. Of course, I've never been a DIY electronics guy. My DIY has been in carpentry, decorating, gardening, and to an extent automobiles, but never electronics. Even the PT250 project is more a matter of me buying a bunch of expensive gear and having someone who knows more than I do actually get his hands dirty. Thus I have less tinkering in electronics gear in my blood than you or some others.

I do like the narrower profile of the K2 better, and I sense what you're saying, but I also like the lower profile of the Everest II, so as most things in life, it's a bit of a trade off. I have not yet heard the 1400 Array in a circumstance where I'd pick it before either the K2 or Everest, but if Greg Timbers gets to do a third Everest maybe we'll see the ultimate expression of the vertical horn. Considering the price points, there isn't much comparison: the 1400 is the bang for buck champ.

You should be content, as should I, but if the vertical horn K2 or Everest ever comes out, we both might be looking at one last hurrah! Until then, enjoy!

Mr. Widget
06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
I do like the narrower profile of the K2 better, and I sense what you're saying, but I also like the lower profile of the Everest II, so as most things in life, it's a bit of a trade off. I have not yet heard the 1400 Array in a circumstance where I'd pick it before either the K2 or Everest, but if Greg Timbers gets to do a third Everest maybe we'll see the ultimate expression of the vertical horn. Considering the price points, there isn't much comparison: the 1400 is the bang for buck champ.

You should be content, as should I, but if the vertical horn K2 or Everest ever comes out, we both might be looking at one last hurrah! Until then, enjoy!On a purely aesthetic front, I find the Everest II to be at the pinnacle of the speaker art. Like the JBL Paragon I love these things purely as sculpture!

Regarding the 1400 Array as bang for the buck... if it is possible for a $12K pair of speakers to be a bargain, I say yes! After a year or so of listening to the 1400s I decided I could happily consider them my last speaker. Yes, I could be content with them. Then these beasts snuck in the back door of my house and slid into the slots where those wonderful Arrays sat. The ease with which they roll out the notes, be it a single clarinet, a whole violin section, or some ass kicking drums... it is nothing less than startling. A few minutes ago I was listening to Joni Mitchell's Travelogue. I haven't played it in a long time. Startling... goose bumps. Well recorded orchestration is such a joy. The effortlessness with which they handle the complex sounds of a symphony orchestra is transporting. Would a slightly deeper soundstage and a bit more bass extension be nice? Maybe on some recordings, but who cares! This is damned amazing! Could I have better electronics, a better room, an even better experience? Perhaps, but does it matter? No.

No... now it is time to listen to music and revel in it.

Widget

4313B
06-04-2012, 04:39 AM
:hmm:
alnico version of the 1501Fe?I'm not sure what the model number will be. Rumor has it that the Fs is intentionally lower than previous 1500AL variants. It remains to be seen if it will be a bolt-in replacement for the current 1501AL's.

Sundown
06-04-2012, 05:07 AM
On a purely aesthetic front, I find the Everest II to be at the pinnacle of the speaker art. Like the JBL Paragon I love these things purely as sculpture!

Regarding the 1400 Array as bang for the buck... if it is possible for a $12K pair of speakers to be a bargain, I say yes! After a year or so of listening to the 1400s I decided I could happily consider them my last speaker. Yes, I could be content with them. Then these beasts snuck in the back door of my house and slid into the slots where those wonderful Arrays sat. The ease with which they roll out the notes, be it a single clarinet, a whole violin section, or some ass kicking drums... it is nothing less than startling. A few minutes ago I was listening to Joni Mitchell's Travelogue. I haven't played it in a long time. Startling... goose bumps. Well recorded orchestration is such a joy. The effortlessness with which they handle the complex sounds of a symphony orchestra is transporting. Would a slightly deeper soundstage and a bit more bass extension be nice? Maybe on some recordings, but who cares! This is damned amazing! Could I have better electronics, a better room, an even better experience? Perhaps, but does it matter? No.

No... now it is time to listen to music and revel in it.

Widget

I've never heard the 1400 Array, so if I'm reading this right the vertical arrangement gives a taller somewhat deeper soundstage? Can you describe the horizontal effect?

Mr. Widget
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
I've never heard the 1400 Array, so if I'm reading this right the vertical arrangement gives a taller somewhat deeper soundstage? Can you describe the horizontal effect? This question lead to this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33021-Directivity-and-Imaging

Widget

Sundown
06-04-2012, 02:01 PM
This question lead to this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33021-Directivity-and-Imaging

Widget

Thanks, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Mr. Widget
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks, didn't mean to hijack your thread!Not at all... I just thought it best to create a thread dedicated to a subject I think is interesting and I hope others will too and perhaps they will add their own observations and discoveries.

Widget

JBLGUY
06-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey Widget Congrats on having those beauties in your possession.
They look So Yummy.

Wish I wasn't 5k miles away or I'd be there for a fun day of listening and reveling.

Hey for me "big" never mattered. Just sound quality. Sweet

Mr. Widget
08-27-2012, 11:28 PM
As good as the Everests sounded with a mere 80 wpc from a circa 1977 design... premium power delivers premium results! These Halo JC-1s are set to their high bias mode and offer up a full 25 wpc of room temperature raising Class A operation before drifting smoothly into a Class AB bias. All joking aside, they do heat the room, but the sound is quite remarkable and worth the energy consumption! Where the sound was strained before during loud passages, the sound now simply gets louder without strain. I would expect that from any competent high power amp, but the sound down at the lower power levels is also a vast improvement. My old GAS amp was smooth and relaxed enough, but these amps offer up spatial layering and detailing that simply wasn't available with my old standby... and the bass is significantly more taught and punchy.

I have been enjoying the JC-1s with a fellow forumite's JC-2BP preamp... the combo is shockingly quiet, detailed, spatial, and just plain damned good! After these babies are a bit more broken in... I will be plopping my Marantz 7 back into the system to see if I can step back into time without being disappointed. The Parasound Halo Summer sale is only through the end of the week, so if I am going to jump ship from my 1959 tubed wonder I'll have to make the decision soon. :blink:

According to those who should know, this combo sounds best in balanced mode... another tempting point to move over to the modern remote controlled world... hmmm. :hmm:

Widget

yggdrasil
08-28-2012, 12:04 AM
...I will be plopping my Marantz 7 back into the system to see if I can step back into time without being disappointed....
IME - won't happen. :eek: Upgrades are fine. Downgrades are intolerable. It will eat you 24/7. At least it does to me.

The new amps look good, and balanced mode sure are good new arguments. But then again, there will be other interesting offers as well, which makes the whole damn thing a never ending, expensive, story.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Johnny

fpitas
08-28-2012, 04:59 AM
but the sound down at the lower power levels is also a vast improvement.

Widget

I wimped out and got the A21 instead of the mono blocks; but that's the most remarkable feature of the A21, the low-level detail. Mr. Curl designs a nice amplifier.

tom1040
08-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Very nice amps!! I bet they bring a lot to the table for those superb speakers! Well done.:applaud:

Titanium Dome
08-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Welcome to 2012.:p

fpitas
08-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Welcome to 2012.:p

More like 2003. Better late than never :)

Mr. Widget
08-28-2012, 08:53 AM
More like 2003. Better late than never :)Yeah! :D

The fact that they have been in production for nearly 10 years with NO updates, mods, tweaks or changes does say a lot though.

So far my biggest criticism is the heat and the physical size... I am considering placing them in my basement directly below each speaker. With balanced runs this would be the most "correct" way to wire them and aesthetically and comfort wise I think it would also be an upgrade. The amps have a 12V trigger so I would be able to either have the preamp trigger them or use a manual trigger.

Widget

grumpy
08-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Sounds to me like a decision has already been made ;)

fpitas
08-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah! :D

The fact that they have been in production for nearly 10 years with NO updates, mods, tweaks or changes does say a lot though.

And they're still considered very good amps, especially for the price. Curl hit a home run with the Halo line.

So far my biggest criticism is the heat and the physical size... I am considering placing them in my basement directly below each speaker. With balanced runs this would be the most "correct" way to wire them and aesthetically and comfort wise I think it would also be an upgrade. The amps have a 12V trigger so I would be able to either have the preamp trigger them or use a manual trigger.

Widget

You might be wise to add a fan while you're at it. Even a little air flow over the heatsinks will help a lot.

Mr. Widget
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
You might be wise to add a fan while you're at it. Even a little air flow over the heatsinks will help a lot.Yep... if they go in the basement I definitely will... fans will extend the life of the amps significantly.

Widget

hotpants16
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
hello,

congratulations & thanks for sharing, nice pic's aswell!:applaud:
maybe, oneday, if i keep up my paper route.

Mr. Widget
08-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Welcome to 2012.:pCouldn't do it... I'm sticking with the old, get off the couch to change the volume or source Marantz. The JC-2BP is quieter, more spacious, better at resolving detail etc... but there is something strangely appealing about the Marantz... and it's paid for.:D

Without balanced outs... I guess the long leads required to stick these amps downstairs might not work out.

Widget

fpitas
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Couldn't do it... I'm sticking with the old, get off the couch to change the volume or source Marantz. The JC-2BP is quieter, more spacious, better at resolving detail etc... but there is something strangely appealing about the Marantz... and it's paid for.:D Without balanced outs... I guess the long leads required to stick these amps downstairs might not work out. Widget Perhaps if you put them on a shelf near the ceiling, directly under your existing equipment rack, the cables might not be too long (six feet, maybe). If you do that, to keep hum under control you'd also want to run AC power down to them from your rack so they share the same AC ground as the preamp.

SEAWOLF97
06-30-2014, 11:25 AM
I ran across this quote and wondered if that was also Mr. W's experience ?

>> As with all Japan intended systems, the low end is deliberately lean.

Mr. Widget
06-30-2014, 05:24 PM
I ran across this quote and wondered if that was also Mr. W's experience ?

>> As with all Japan intended systems, the low end is deliberately lean.No... not lean. They are not the most room friendly speakers and in my room there is a bump around 100Hz that I'd like to tame, but the bass is ample and deep enough for most music.

Widget