PDA

View Full Version : jbl dd5000 everest/mcintosh home theatre ready to enjoy.

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 04:14 AM
Its been a long time coming, but a dream project has been finally finished and i am very happy with the result. JBL/MCINTOSH is a wonderful combo and i have the mcintosh bug now to keep my jbl addiction company..... i'm going to be working till i am 80 !!! :eek:

tom1040
02-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Its been a long time coming, but a dream project has been finally finished and i am very happy with the result. JBL/MCINTOSH is a wonderful combo and i have the mcintosh bug now to keep my jbl addiction company..... i'm going to be working till i am 80 !!! :eek:

Very Impressive!!! Is that an MC402 & 3 MC501's?

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Very Impressive!!! Is that an MC402 & 3 MC501's?

Mc252 to run the 4435 rears, sounds nice :p

svollmer
02-24-2012, 04:54 AM
OUTSTANDING! :applaud:

What a beautiful room; congratulations!. Can you give us a list of the equipment? Maybe some more photos? :bouncy:

tom1040
02-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Mc252 to run the 4435 rears, sounds nice :p

Sounds nice? Understatement prehaps? I would love to hear ( and see ) that system in action.:bouncy::yes:

hjames
02-24-2012, 05:23 AM
WOW - just ... WOW.
That really looks amazing - thanks for sharing your vision, and system!

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 05:24 AM

What a beautiful room; congratulations!. Can you give us a list of the equipment? Maybe some more photos? :bouncy:

I have many photos.. Not very computer savvy. But will post more in the coming days.

System.... 3 x mc501 1 x 252, dd55000 main, 4435 rear, men220 room correction, ms750 music server, pioneer receiver sc72, panasonic PTEA 7000 projection, Stewart filmscreen studiotek 126 inch screen,JBL SUB1500 x4. Pioneer bluray.

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Sounds nice? Understatement prehaps? I would love to hear ( and see ) that system in action.:bouncy::yes:

Sounds great, and I'm still fine tuning...

Titanium Dome
02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Congratulations! It looks like excellent work. :yes:

Mr. Widget
02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Its been a long time coming, but a dream project has been finally finished and i am very happy with the result. JBL/MCINTOSH is a wonderful combo and i have the mcintosh bug now to keep my jbl addiction company..... i'm going to be working till i am 80 !!! :eek:Congratulations... looks very tidy... yes, more info would be fun for us.

That back wall has me concerned, it looks very clean and all, but I imagine it would sound better with the doors opened and the contents exposed to create some diffusion and absorption... have you addressed room treatment?

Widget

timc
02-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Very nice system and room! You have clearly invested a lot of time and $ on this.

Hoerninger
02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Congratalation for your fine work :applaud:

What about the image building /soundstage of the DD55000 in a surround system?

tom1040
02-24-2012, 12:48 PM

I would think it would be awesome. I would like to do this with my S/2600's as the fronts. I doubt I would need a center channel. I have 1400 Arrays-perhaps the back. 1500 Array sub. I have the amplification.

All I need now would be a room---- A dedicated room. It's the little things that stand in my way.....:blink:

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 02:28 PM
I would think it would be awesome. I would like to do this with my S/2600's as the fronts. I doubt I would need a center channel. I have 1400 Arrays-perhaps the back. 1500 Array sub. I have the amplification.

All I need now would be a room---- A dedicated room. It's the little things that stand in my way.....:blink:

It sounds like you have some nice gear,I had the same problem for years..... No room for my collection.So I understand your situation, I was lucky to score a great paying job for 12 months on great $$. Just need a mcintosh c48 preamp and mcd500 for my two channel 4350 system and I'm done. You'll get there..... Or just do it !!! You'll be glad you did, good luck!

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 02:32 PM

DD55000 are simply amazing for imaging, you just need to play with moving them around, not too much trouble.they just sound incredible with mcintosh monoblocks :applaud:

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Congratulations... looks very tidy... yes, more info would be fun for us.

That back wall has me concerned, it looks very clean and all, but I imagine it would sound better with the doors opened and the contents exposed to create some diffusion and absorption... have you addressed room treatment?

Widget

You are correct widget, the cupboards are not the best and I have been looking into room treatment.There is a world of information regarding this subject, so if anyone has used or had experience in this area feel free to chime in and offer some advice, it would be appreciated.

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Very nice system and room! You have clearly invested a lot of time and $ on this.

Yes......and yes but it's worth every penny :p

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM

some more pics...

Mr. Widget
02-24-2012, 06:36 PM
You are correct widget, the cupboards are not the best and I have been looking into room treatment.There is a world of information regarding this subject, so if anyone has used or had experience in this area feel free to chime in and offer some advice, it would be appreciated.Typically theaters should be on the acoustically dead side... with all that glass and melamine(?)... you probably need to add a fair amount of absorption to get closer to the best performance the sound system you have is capable of.

In my old home theater, I had a large space that needed to be a multi-use space... I added floor to ceiling velvet curtains. It wasn't a terrible look and it helped the sound immensely.

What is your ceiling like? Is it another smooth hard surface?

Widget

PS: Thanks for the additional pics... a very cool project!

JoeNelis
02-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Typically theaters should be on the acoustically dead side... with all that glass and melamine(?)... you probably need to add a fair amount of absorption to get closer to the best performance the sound system you have is capable of.

In my old home theater, I had a large space that needed to be a multi-use space... I added floor to ceiling velvet curtains. It wasn't a terrible look and it helped the sound immensely.

What is your ceiling like? Is it another smooth hard surface?

Widget

PS: Thanks for the additional pics... a very cool project!

Thanx for the tip, the ceiling is smooth flat sound proof plaster board. It is hard to find something that's looks ok and functions well to help acoustics.it's not a dedicated room but an extention to my existing home.

Joe....

timc
02-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Have you seen this? http://www.auralex.com/hdcinema/

I think they look good with the 3D stacking and backlight.

martin_wu99
02-25-2012, 03:00 AM
I have many photos.. Not very computer savvy. But will post more in the coming days.

System.... 3 x mc501 1 x 252, dd55000 main, 4435 rear, men220 room correction, ms750 music server, pioneer receiver sc72, panasonic PTEA 7000 projection, Stewart filmscreen studiotek 126 inch screen,JBL SUB1500 x4. Pioneer bluray.
It's amazing!it must cost lots of $!the projector should be AE7000?i think the screen is better bigger than 150 inch.that would be a real home cinema!

caladois
02-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Jesus... What a setup !!!!

4313B
02-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Very nice! :)

The stack of Mac is quite appealing.

pathfindermwd
02-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Congratulations... looks very tidy... yes, more info would be fun for us.

Widget

Just a thought...

I took the wooden doors off my entertainment cabinet and made new ones out of MDF with cut out centers. MDF frames basically. I put fabric over it... like a speaker grill, and put the knobs back on. The fabric adds a warm look as well.

Nice looking setup! Congrats!

JoeNelis
02-25-2012, 06:17 PM
It's amazing!it must cost lots of $!the projector should be AE7000?i think the screen is better bigger than 150 inch.that would be a real home cinema!

I wanted 150inch screen, but I live in a two bedroom townhouse and could only fit 126 inch due to the everest size..... But next time though ;)

martin_wu99
02-27-2012, 03:17 AM
I wanted 150inch screen, but I live in a two bedroom townhouse and could only fit 126 inch due to the everest size..... But next time though ;)
I think the most important thing to the home theater is consistency!
why using 55000 and 4430 but not array 1400?:confused:

hwirt
02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
some more pics...

Truly a dream theater JoeNelis, sure to provide many hours of enjoyment. :applaud:

JoeNelis
02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I think the most important thing to the home theater is consistency!
why using 55000 and 4430 but not array 1400?:confused:

Hi, I am using the dd55000 because the are my favorite jbl's in my collection and sound incredible with Mac monoblocks. The rears are actually 4435's and I'm using these because I have them and will not sell them because of sentiment reasoning. I have herd the 1400 array and they are exceptional speakers, but I'm very happy with my setup.

Joe...

Titanium Dome
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
I'll bet there aren't many folks with 4435s as rear surrounds. :D

JoeNelis
02-27-2012, 10:29 PM
I'll bet there aren't many folks with 4435s as rear surrounds. :D

Probably not I'm guessing....maybe someone on the forum has a bigger system if so would to see some photo's:p

timc
02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Probably not I'm guessing....maybe someone on the forum has a bigger system if so would to see some photo's:p

TiDomes system could probably give yours a run for its money. Have you seen his thread?

JoeNelis
02-28-2012, 02:14 AM
TiDomes system could probably give yours a run for its money. Have you seen his thread?

No I have not.... Do you have a link? I know he has a cool collection :D

JoeNelis
02-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Truly a dream theater JoeNelis, sure to provide many hours of enjoyment. :applaud:

Thanx for that... Your K2 and mcintosh amp is an awesome system too :applaud:

martin_wu99
02-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Hi, I am using the dd55000 because the are my favorite jbl's in my collection and sound incredible with Mac monoblocks. The rears are actually 4435's and I'm using these because I have them and will not sell them because of sentiment reasoning. I have herd the 1400 array and they are exceptional speakers, but I'm very happy with my setup.

Joe...
It's a truth that no thing better than your favorites.Just enjoy your setup:applaud:

timc
02-28-2012, 06:25 AM
No I have not.... Do you have a link? I know he has a cool collection :D

Here you go http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?23833-JBL-Synthesis-Something-BIG-is-on-its-way

Enjoy.

4313B
02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
TiDomes system could probably give yours a run for its money. Have you seen his thread?Ok... I have to take issue with comparing truly dynamic, high efficiency systems with lower dynamic, lower efficiency systems. There's just no way in hell on earth the utterly outstanding yet relatively tiny Synthesis 8 is going to generate the kind of impact an E145 does. Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen no matter how hard one wishes.

I suspect that all this setup might need is some beryllium diaphragms on those compression drivers should they ever become available.

timc
02-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Ok... I have to take issue with comparing truly dynamic, high efficiency systems with lower dynamic, lower efficiency systems. There's just no way in hell on earth the utterly outstanding yet relatively tiny Synthesis 8 is going to generate the kind of impact an E145 does. Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen no matter how hard one wishes.

I suspect that all this setup might need is some beryllium diaphragms on those compression drivers should they ever become available.

No disagreement from me when talking about the S8 modules. Ti's subs and horns however, are no slouches.

4313B
02-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Agreed.

And the calibration is top shelf.

Mr. Widget
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Ok... I have to take issue with comparing truly dynamic, high efficiency systems with lower dynamic, lower efficiency systems. There's just no way in hell on earth the utterly outstanding yet relatively tiny Synthesis 8 is going to generate the kind of impact an E145 does. Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen no matter how hard one wishes.

I suspect that all this setup might need is some beryllium diaphragms on those compression drivers should they ever become available.I agree with you on the E145... sorry the 150-4H :rotfl:

There is no getting around the dynamics that these old Westrex style relics are capable of... same is true regarding the use of a 4" compression driver vs. a 2" or even the new 3" drivers, that said, the Synthesis Array system is a remarkably dynamic system that will hold its own in all but the larger rooms. Then there is that Synthesis calibration and it's ability to blend the LCR speakers with the subs.

I am not putting down the HT that is the subject of this thread, I am sure it is damned exciting and a real kick in the pants... but a contemporary Synthesis system is a modern marvel and even though there might be compromises here and there they are shockingly good... then again there is always the Synthesis Everest system if you must have it all. :bouncy:

Widget

4313B
02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Then there is that Synthesis calibration and it's ability to blend the LCR speakers with the subs.
Have you applied the DSP solution to any JBL relics?

Mr. Widget
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Have you applied the DSP solution to any JBL relics?No... it would be fun to give it a go though. :bouncy:

Widget

Titanium Dome
02-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Joe

Don't listen to these guys. :p Just listen to your system. ;)

I doubt you'd trade yours for mine, nor I mine for yours. You built a lovely room for the system you had to put in it, and I built a dull but technically nice room for the system I had to put in it. We'll just enjoy what we have and let the scientists enjoy their postulates and theorems about what we could have. :rotfl:

Titanium Dome
02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Have you applied the DSP solution to any JBL relics?

No... it would be fun to give it a go though. :bouncy:

Widget

Now that grumpy (mostly) and I have mucked around with the L250 to make it a quad-amped active four-way set up, we're ready for more! If someone wants to bring over a JBL monster for the Frankenstein treatment we'll remove its brain and replace it with BSS London Soundweb dreams and nightmares.

The offer is open. :rootn_tootn:
-----------------------

Now back to Joe's incredible work.

Charles0322
02-28-2012, 04:25 PM
yes.

it would be worth the drive or the flight to see all of you sound junkies in action..

this room is beautiful, the mac amps are beautiful too.. would love to hear a small video :)

No... it would be fun to give it a go though. :bouncy:

Widget

baldrick
02-29-2012, 05:30 AM

A friend of mine has this (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29145-Crown-I-tech-madness&highlight=beyma) "none JBL" system, quite a bit bigger if size is what matters :)

JoeNelis
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
A friend of mine has this (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29145-Crown-I-tech-madness&highlight=beyma) "none JBL" system, quite a bit bigger if size is what matters :)

Some photos would be great, if he is happy to share... I love checking out people's systems and collections, it the best hobby I believe :p

baldrick
03-01-2012, 04:23 AM
If you press the link above you'll find some info and also picutres. It's a fantastic and well thought setup even though many people think it's a total overkill with 10x15", 8x18" and 44kw of Crown I-tech power, the owner calls it endless headroom :)

AussieSteve
09-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Mother of God! This is a statement of passion and knowledge. Joe has a system I never thought would exist in real life, and the sound is beyond magnificent! The whole set up is testament to his desire to create such a magnificent system that even Mr Lansing would be extremely proud. I will never forget today for the rest of my life, and the man is a true gentleman without a shadow of arrogance, just a kind man sharing his passion with a learner. I am afraid I am now doomed though, for I cannot rest until I build a system as magnificent!

Dave_72
09-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Awesome system! I bet you're very proud of it! I know I would. Happy listening!