PDA

View Full Version : Hafler power trannies

still4given
09-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Hi guys,

I'm not sure how many of you guys are into power amps but I have picked up some Hafler amps. One of them, a DH200 plays perfectly and sounds so nice through my JBLs. The others are P230's. They play very low volume and very distorted. I took one into a shop and am being told that it is the power transformer that is to blame and that they are NLA.

I opened up my DH200 and the P230 and the trannies look the same aside from two extra wires on the P230 tranny that are not hooked up to anything. I'm assuming that they are for 220V operation.

So any of you guys know of a source for Hafler power trannies?

Also, someone suggested toriod as a replacement. Any of you have any experience with these?

Thanks so much,

Blessings, Terry

scott fitlin
09-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Both P230,s have the same problem? Both with bad power transformers?

Kind of makes me wonder if the seller already knew the amps were bad! Possibly powered up with the wrong voltage? Something like this could happen in touring situations where multiple voltages might be available.

Can a toroidal be found that is the same spec as the trannies in your P230,s? It would work if they could do that, I dont know how this would affect the sound of the amp, though!

And what about calling Hafler? They are still in buisiness, no? I believe they are, give them a call! At least Hafler would be in a better position to recommend what to replace them with in the event they dont have any of what originally went into the P230,s!

still4given
09-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not totally sure they both have the same problem, I've only had one checked. They sound the same so I'm guessing it may be the same thing. Truth is, I don't know for sure that it is the tranny. That is what the tech told me but then, he hasn't fixed it so he is really only supposing himself. I do see what appears to be a light soot on the case above the tranny and I checked the output from the tranny at the big can caps and on my DH200 it is 62V and on the P230 it is 42v, so he may be right.

I've found a source for the TT-XL280E tranny. The seller tells me that this tranny will work. I have sent an email to Hafler but have not received a reply as of yet.

The guy I got the P230s from did know they weren't working but didn't know what the problem was. I got them very cheap so I'm OK with that. I would just like to get them working properly.

Blessings, Terry

Alex Lancaster
09-19-2004, 10:13 AM
What voltage are You supposed to get?

If Your voltage is way low, just maybe they are wired for 220V.

I have seen a lot of burnt output transistors and bad caps, but almost never a bad transformer, specially if they donīt look like they just came back from Irak.

Hope You get em running cheaply.

still4given
09-21-2004, 05:29 PM
OK, here's where I'm at. I got the P230 back from the tech and measured the tranny in it. I got 62 on the left and - 41 on the right. The other P230 I have measured about 42 on the left and -42 on the right. I'm going to take a chance and order the two trannies I found. I'll let you know how it goes when I get them installed.

Blessings, Terry