PDA

View Full Version : JBL MRX/PRX512 or maybe LSR6332

baldrick
02-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Could 3 x MRX512/PX512 be any good for a hometheather/hifi setup?

I've no experince with the 2408F tweeter or the 262h woofer in the 512 so I don't know how good/bad they might be :)

Or would maybe a trio of LSR6332 be a better choice?

richluvsound
02-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Junk = MRX . I wouldn't use it for a PA at the Prime Ministers funeral ..... the LSR are superb !

baldrick
02-23-2012, 05:28 AM
I only knew that the 2408 tweeter was used also in the VRX series so I thought it might be OK, but I'll stay away from it then!

Aprox how good are the LSR6332 compared to other JBLs? I know it lacks lowend but I have subs for that anyway :)

berf
02-23-2012, 05:40 AM
The LSR6332 is a high-end studio monitor while the MRX/PRX is a small mid-line 12" 2-way PA speaker. They are designed for for completely different applications. The PA speakers may be the correct choice if your goal is ear-splitting volume in your living room. There haven't been many successful reports from those who have tried a PA speaker in their home. Ragged inaccurate response is the most common observation.
The Control 29 is an intriguing low-priced option from the pro side. An 8" 2-way with a horn might be fun or could just be painful.
I doubt if there are any unhappy LSR6332 owners out there. I'd buy them tomorrow if I had the cash.

baldrick
02-23-2012, 05:56 AM
I've used both hifi, studio monitors, PA and Cinema speakers from JBL in the past and I have no problems trying it again. If the parts are good enough it's quite possible to get very good results also for hifi/HT use. Remember... many JBL drivers are used both in PA speakers and in hifi speakers, i.e. both K2 and Array use more or less the same HF drivers as PA speakers.

Present I use slightly modified JBL 8340 in my HT setup (I've replaced the HF driver with Selenium) and they sound OK but I want to upgrade, especially since the system is also used for music :)

I can get 3xLSR speakers but I can not listem to them first since they are too far away. I have a pair of 4412 that are kind of the same speaker, but hopefully the LSR6332 is much better :) My biggest concern is that for HT use, horns probably are a better choice... but I might give it a try anyway.

mikebake
02-24-2012, 06:23 AM
How about just some Performance Series stuff instead of the ideas above? I had LSR's and plenty of PA stuff, but I like the PS stuff better.

baldrick
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
The performanceseries is not avialable in Europe :( Otherwise I would really like to try 3xPT800

mikebake
02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Avoid MRX.

baldrick
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanx for your answers! I'll stay away from MRX/PRX512 but I'm not sure about what to do about LSRs yet :)

martin_wu99
02-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Try to find some 37**,or 46**,maybe more suitable than 6332:blink:

moparfan
02-25-2012, 05:54 AM
It is their reference listening point for their sound. Should be decent enough.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/05/harman-international-reference.html

At least here in the states you can find used LSR32s for around $600 a pair if you look hard enough.

4313B
02-25-2012, 06:00 AM
It is their reference listening point for their sound. Should be decent enough.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/05/harman-international-reference.html

At least here in the states you can find used LSR32s for around $600 a pair if you look hard enough.I'm kind of curious as to what kind of DSP folks with LSR32's are using to get them to sound decent.

My experience is limited to just one pair in two different rooms with two different back ends and after listening to them for awhile I agreed with Greg that the midrange was jacked. He thought that the LSR28 would be the better choice in that series. I suspect the Century Gold remains the better twelve-inch three way system for home use. Too bad it was limited edition.

I think Drew Daniels had a successful LSR32 setup but I don't know any of the details.

baldrick
02-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Try to find some 37**,or 46**,maybe more suitable than 6332:blink:

A few years ago I had a trio of 4673a but I didn't like them very much, especially the 2446/2380 combo did not sound good :( But I am considering 3x3678, I think maybe the HF on them are better suited for my use than 4673a were.

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of DSP folks with LSR32's are using to get them to sound decent.

My experience is limited to just one pair in two different rooms with two different back ends and after listening to them for awhile I agreed with Greg that the midrange was jacked. .

I have no experince with the LSR series at all, I've just read that many people liked them but what you are saying doesn't sound too promising..

allen mueller
02-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I have and use the 6332 for my 2ch home theater and enjoy them. I agree with 4313b that sometimes I think something is odd with the midrange. On the otherside sometimes I'm in love with it and find it detailed and enjoyable. A strong aspect of them that I enjoy is their lack of distortion at higher levels. If I'm watching a movie that has an action scene with alot going on I hear everything clearly and they don't miss a thing. This could very for you because I'm unsure of how high of a level you are going for and your distance from the speakers.

For home theater use I would say their strongest aspect is the clarity in reproducing dialogue. I don't find my self reaching to turn it up or rewinding after one of those "wait what did they just say" moments.

If you do go with the lsr I suggest budgeting a good amount for the amp and spending alot of time trying various placements.

Al

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2012, 09:20 AM
I suspect the Century Gold remains the better twelve-inch three way system for home use. Too bad it was limited edition.

have never seen either , but was wondering how the 120Ti compares with the Century Gold ??

martin_wu99
02-27-2012, 03:03 AM
A few years ago I had a trio of 4673a but I didn't like them very much, especially the 2446/2380 combo did not sound good :( But I am considering 3x3678, I think maybe the HF on them are better suited for my use than 4673a were.

I have no experince with the LSR series at all, I've just read that many people liked them but what you are saying doesn't sound too promising..
As I know,LSR is a very precise system.but never forget, No horn,No jbl.:eek:

wrager
03-03-2012, 08:06 AM
What about a trio of 3677's?

hjames
03-03-2012, 09:59 AM
... never forget, No horn, no JBL .:eek:

:applaud: Muwhahahahahahaha :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
but never forget, No horn,No jbl.:eek:

gimme a break ...:banghead: LSR, No JBL ?
I hope you are just trying to be provocative ...or silly

what next ?

no monkey coffin, No JBL ?

the speaker that prolly saved JBL..the L100, not JBL ??

etc..etc :screwy:

moparfan
03-03-2012, 12:58 PM
If I recall correctly, you referenced the midrange issue in another thread once. I think you mentioned that the crossover in the LSR32 was too low and that Timbers raised it the Century gold, which has similar drivers, to avoid that problem.

With that in mind I asked on Sean Olive's blog why they chose to go with the LSR32 instead of the LSR28. I would guess they did so because the 32 has higher output capability. Wouldn't there be a sound advantage to the LSR 28 to using a powered approach that uses electronic crossovers?

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of DSP folks with LSR32's are using to get them to sound decent.

My experience is limited to just one pair in two different rooms with two different back ends and after listening to them for awhile I agreed with Greg that the midrange was jacked. He thought that the LSR28 would be the better choice in that series. I suspect the Century Gold remains the better twelve-inch three way system for home use. Too bad it was limited edition.

I think Drew Daniels had a successful LSR32 setup but I don't know any of the details.

martin_wu99
03-05-2012, 04:16 AM
gimme a break ...:banghead: LSR, No JBL ?
I hope you are just trying to be provocative ...or silly

what next ?

no monkey coffin, No JBL ?

the speaker that prolly saved JBL..the L100, not JBL ??

etc..etc :screwy:
Don't be so excited ,i just mean that if jbl without horns and 15',it will lost lots of interesting to play with,it means nothing to ME,funny?:dont-know:
:blink:if i like dome ,i'd rather go for THIEL\AVALON\REVEL,etc.
The next is jbl put horns in their high-grade products:eek:

hjames
03-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Don't be so excited ,i just mean that if jbl without horns and 15',it will lost lots of interesting to play with,it means nothing to ME,funny?:dont-know:
:blink:if i like dome ,i'd rather go for THIEL\AVALON\REVEL,etc.
The next is jbl put horns in their high-grade products:eek:

Yeah, you need to get out and around more -
sure, my 2 main JBLs systems have horns and 15s, but many of my other systems don't -

Besides - ever heard a pair of 250ti? no horns and amazing sound!
Lots of other REAL JBL (JBL is formal title and should be in CAPS) do not have horns ...

Please to stop being so narrow-minded ...

martin_wu99
03-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah, you need to get out and around more -
sure, my 2 main JBLs systems have horns and 15s, but many of my other systems don't -

Besides - ever heard a pair of 250ti? no horns and amazing sound!
Lots of other REAL JBL (JBL is formal title and should be in CAPS) do not have horns ...

Please to stop being so narrow-minded ...
Oh,pls don't be bothered by my personal opinion.it's only my thoughts.:crying:
250ti?certainly,G.T.'s great workpiece.JBL has many famous series such as L\XPL.etc.
We have a vivid saying,love the house so much,as to love the tree besides the house together(爱屋及乌).:applaud:
Sorry for English grammar,JBL should be in CAPS indeed. :o:

hjames
03-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Oh,pls don't be bothered by my personal opinion.it's only my thoughts.:crying:
250ti?certainly,G.T.'s great workpiece.JBL has many famous series such as L\XPL.etc.
We have a vivid saying,love the house so much,as to love the tree besides the house together(爱屋及乌).:applaud:
Sorry for English grammar,JBL should be in CAPS indeed. :o:

Okay, language barrier should not keep people from being friends - so if I jumped too fast ...

GT's great speaker, 250ti, got no horns, got no 15s ... :eek: is it REAL JBL??

:D Friendly kidding - no flames meant!

martin_wu99
03-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Okay, language barrier should not keep people from being friends - so if I jumped too fast ...

GT's great speaker, 250ti, got no horns, got no 15s ... :eek: is it REAL JBL??

:D Friendly kidding - no flames meant!
I think you jump fast enough:D
I only mean that horns\compression drivers\15's are JBL's top technology and essence,if you are a real JBL enthusiasts,you should focus on them.:applaud:

hjames
03-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I think you jump fast enough:D
I only mean that horns\compression drivers\15's are JBL's top technology and essence,if you are a real JBL enthusiasts,you should focus on them.:applaud:
Some folks think horn driven speakers without 18 woofers are not enough ...
that 15 inch woofs are not "serious" ...

martin_wu99
03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Not really?from the beginning of JBL,compression drivers such as 175\275\375 had matched with 15's such as D130\LE15.etc
That causes one more question,why JBL produce only one 18' woofer 2245 for studio(4345)?
:confused:

martin_wu99
03-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Maybe the compresssion driver horns are so loudly that we can't to make full use of it?:confused:

hjames
03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Maybe the compression driver horns are so loudly that we can't to make full use of it?:confused:

I dunno - but I like [2234] 15s and [wood] horns!

martin_wu99
03-07-2012, 06:11 AM
I dunno - but I like [2234] 15s and [wood] horns!

Seems very rare system,isn't?
Hi,james(hjames:blink:),do you have these years JBL products time table?since having been listed on my <stereo sound> JBL products ended at 1992:banghead:
Further more,have you got JBL drivers evolution chart?
:)
Thank you

Martin

hjames
03-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Seems very rare system,isn't?
Hi,james(hjames:blink:),do you have these years JBL products time table?since having been listed on my <stereo sound> JBL products ended at 1992:banghead:
Further more,have you got JBL drivers evolution chart?
:)
Thank you

Martin

Its not rare - its a custom built system ... JBL L200 Cabinets, 2234 woofer & 2405 supertweeter in the main cabinet,
with a 4333 style 3 way crossover hand built. The custom wood horn and Pro driver sit on top, but the diaphrams could be better aligned.

Don't have any JBL charts to share, sorry.

martin_wu99
03-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Its not rare - its a custom built system ... JBL L200 Cabinets, 2234 woofer & 2405 supertweeter in the main cabinet,
with a 4333 style 3 way crossover hand built. The custom wood horn and Pro driver sit on top, but the diaphrams could be better aligned.

Don't have any JBL charts to share, sorry.
Great!you guys can finish such a wonderful DIY works.
How did you balance the sound level of every drivers and align the time?
BTW,i found JBL drivers evolution chart on <JBL 60 years story>,but it ended at 1999:(

hjames
03-08-2012, 03:52 AM
Great!you guys can finish such a wonderful DIY works.
How did you balance the sound level of every drivers and align the time?
BTW,i found JBL drivers evolution chart on <JBL 60 years story>,but it ended at 1999:(

Well, its kind of grown this way over 6 years of playing music and trying different things ...

Its hard to see, but volume level is set with Lpads on the right for the mid horn and tweeter ...
the in-cabinet drivers were not time aligned in that design, (think L300 or 4333)
and the walnut mid-horn isn't either.

But the sound is good - and quite pleasant with the Jolida tube amp I have been using lately.

martin_wu99
03-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Well, its kind of grown this way over 6 years of playing music and trying different things ...

Its hard to see, but volume level is set with Lpads on the right for the mid horn and tweeter ...
the in-cabinet drivers were not time aligned in that design, (think L300 or 4333)
and the walnut mid-horn isn't either.

But the sound is good - and quite pleasant with the Jolida tube amp I have been using lately.
never mind as long as you enjoy it.
I know china made JULIDA tube amp.you may have a better choise;)

baldrick
03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
BTW: I ended up buying somthing totally different than originally plan, take a look here (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?32650-JBL-3678-or-4638-2352-2447) for the new thread.