PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Refoam

JBL Fan
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Hey Guys,
Got a question regarding who has the best refoam product on the market now, Midwest Speaker, Parts Express or Simply Speakers, or.....a suggestion from someone. I have a 10'' from a Altec Lansing series lll and a 125A from my L36a JBL's. Another quick question for all the experts reading this. I am the original owner of the L36a's and in the late 80's had someone refoam the 10'' woofers. At that time I am not sure of how well anyone really did using the correct refoam product and what glues used. Do I chance trying to remove working surrounds and making a big mess possibly of cones or just let it be for now since they are working. Thanks for any input.

edgewound
02-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Pictures of the refoam would help.

JBL Fan
02-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Edgewound

I have included some pics for your viewing. The one of the Altec is obvious it needs surrounds. The others are up for comments.

My original question was who is the best to buy from for replacement surrounds or anyone on this forum perform the work.

I am the original owner, the cases are in good condition, little use to the speakers and I am in the process of sending off an order to Parts Express to rebuild crossovers. I plan to keep these so I want to make sure its done right and not cut corners.

Looking at your tag are you connected or recommend Upland Speaker ?

Thanks for any feedback

The first 2 show the glueing done on the surrounds the last 2 pics show the surround possibly rubbing.
These were done in the late 80's by someone local at the time and before the Web made it so easy to find qualified places to perform the repair. I think it was before the Web:D

This is the Altec obvious what it needs.

BMWCCA
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
They spliced your surrounds! :eek:

Normally there would be a chorus of folk singing the praises of Rick Cobb http://myworld.ebay.com/looneytune2001/ for quality surround kits, if you're intent on tackling this yourself. In your case, with your relative proximity, I'd suggest praying at the alter of Upland and see if Edgewound can work his magic to save your speakers. There's no one better.

Eaulive
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Edgewound ----- are you connected or recommend Upland Speaker ?

You could say that :D