PDA

View Full Version : JBL's Hear the Truth Artists

Titanium Dome
02-16-2012, 11:16 AM
One of my employees who knows I'm a big JBL user came to me and asked if I'd seen the JBL commercial during the Grammy Awards broadcast. I had to confess I had not watched the show. He told me Paul McCartney was featured.

I checked the JBL site today, and there it is.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/about/content.jsp?id=paul

Titanium Dome
02-16-2012, 12:10 PM
JBL's Hear the Truth started in September with Maroon 5 and A.R. Rahman, with more "prominent artists" to come.

http://www.joeytomatoes.com/Wordpress/2012/02/09/hear-the-truth-via-doner/

louped garouv
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
i've been noticing the advertisements....

:)

Titanium Dome
02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/about/content.jsp?id=hearthetruth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH7k7K0fE1g&feature=fvsr

WARNING: Dinesh sighting!

SEAWOLF97
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
One of my employees who knows I'm a big JBL user came to me and asked if I'd seen the JBL commercial during the Grammy Awards broadcast. I had to confess I had not watched the show. He told me Paul McCartney was featured.

thx for the link

Mr. Widget
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
WARNING: Dinesh sighting!thx for the warning

edgewound
02-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I heard a commercial for JBL on KFI AM 640 today. It described how professionals use JBL speakers in the studio to get accurate sound...all while sounding like it was mixed through a phase shifter. They might want to get real professionals to record their commercials for their professional products.

About 10 years ago I totally reconed a pair of 4311 for KFI. The engineering staff loved them. They've since moved from the Ardmore studios building after changing ownership.

Hey19
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Show me some big, bold, badass JBL's.

Titanium Dome
02-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Show me some big, bold, badass JBL's.

Well, they're not trying to sell to you and me. I think that's really the long and the short of it.

Hey19
02-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Well, they're not trying to sell to you and me. I think that's really the long and the short of it.

What part of the richest country on earth don't they get.:banghead:

hjames
02-17-2012, 06:07 AM
What part of the richest country on earth don't they get.:banghead:

I think TiDo means they want to sell millions of entry level speakers, headphones and iPod docks,
not a limited number of Audiophile speakers and Studio Monitors ...

4313B
02-17-2012, 08:38 AM
What part of the richest country on earth don't they get.:banghead:It has to do with market share. We only have a few hundred million consumers and a vast majority are Walmart shoppers. Small potatoes.

Speaking of Walmart, I just spent a day in a major U.S. city getting schooled on just how powerful Walmart is. It really is truly staggering.
I think TiDo means they want to sell millions of entry level speakers, headphones and iPod docks, not a limited number of Audiophile speakers and Studio Monitors ...That's the explanation I received.

Hey19
02-17-2012, 07:28 PM
It has to do with market share. We only have a few hundred million consumers and a vast majority are Walmart shoppers. Small potatoes.

Speaking of Walmart, I just spent a day in a major U.S. city getting schooled on just how powerful Walmart is. It really is truly staggering.That's the explanation I received.

it dawned on me the golden age of audio was years ago.

edgewound
02-18-2012, 09:38 AM
The golden age of audio is happening right now.

It's just that many people don't know it....or care.

Mr. Widget
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
The golden age of audio is happening right now.

It's just that many people don't know it....or care.Possibly... there is no debate about the fact that we as a group are the odd balls... "normal" people really don't care, and as for this being the true golden age, I suppose that depends on how you define it. Certainly many manufacturers are producing their very best products of all times. There are really well designed and built turntables, digital sounds better than it ever has, electronics have continued to evolve and today we have uber simple and relatively high quality units from people like Peachtree Audio and of course crazy high end gear that is truly fantastic... and speakers? JBL has never made better speakers than they are selling right now, Revel and B+W have great speakers, and a few dozen other companies are producing speakers that exceed every parameter of a decade or two ago... if you are into high sensitivity systems there are even a few companies that cater to that market.

I think what has changed is the popular focus... during the '60s and well into the '70s home HiFi was growing in popularity and most people with any amount of disposable income felt compelled to buy into it... since then home computing and more recently computer based and internet based gaming has replaced it along with numerous other distractions.

Today most people are happy with a mp3 player based boom box and a decent car stereo... more than that feels like an intrusion to them... too bad for them, but it has freed up lots of fine vintage audio gear that has been made available to those of us interested in it at a really affordable price. If that wasn't the case, just as vintage muscle cars are going for a fortune, our beloved vintage JBL monitors would cost tens of thousands of dollars. ;)

Widget

SEAWOLF97
02-18-2012, 12:14 PM
I cruise the CL ads often ....a couple of phrases come up often:

"moving, must downsize"
"Dad left this gear for me..too big"

for the mobile generation, even bookshelf speakers are too much, and their
expectations are for smaller & smaller, better & better and cheaper & cheaper.

small imported, cheaper cars are now the norm , its a cheapening of the older American
way of life, brought on by circumstance, but has spread worldwide

I don't think that the idea of high quality plays as heavy with them as with the olders.
Disposable,Disposable,Disposable

That's all fine for us, we snag gear that was unobtainable at one time in our lives for
"pennies on the dollar" now. We are mostly "recyclers"

to have larger, better gear, you need a semi-stable lifestyle ...its just not conducive to
constant movement as I see with today's "under 30's"

I do have some 1954 Audio magazines...the level of pioneering excitement and discovery is
evident on every page ...they thought those were the "Golden Days"

DavidF
02-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Possibly... there is no debate about the fact that we as a group are the odd balls... "normal" people really don't care, and as for this being the true golden age, I suppose that depends on how you define it. Certainly many manufacturers are producing their very best products of all times. There are really well designed and built turntables, digital sounds better than it ever has, electronics have continued to evolve and today we have uber simple and relatively high quality units from people like Peachtree Audio and of course crazy high end gear that is truly fantastic... and speakers? JBL has never made better speakers than they are selling right now, Revel and B+W have great speakers, and a few dozen other companies are producing speakers that exceed every parameter of a decade or two ago... if you are into high sensitivity systems there are even a few companies that cater to that market.

I think what has changed is the popular focus... during the '60s and well into the '70s home HiFi was growing in popularity and most people with any amount of disposable income felt compelled to buy into it... since then home computing and more recently computer based and internet based gaming has replaced it along with numerous other distractions.

Today most people are happy with a mp3 player based boom box and a decent car stereo... more than that feels like an intrusion to them... too bad for them, but it has freed up lots of fine vintage audio gear that has been made available to those of us interested in it at a really affordable price. If that wasn't the case, just as vintage muscle cars are going for a fortune, our beloved vintage JBL monitors would cost tens of thousands of dollars. ;)

Widget
It is perhaps ironic that the push in this swell of technical evolution and popularity of hardware in the 60s and 70s was driven by the explosion of pop music sales. Most of that music could be analogous to pulp fiction in the book market. Content contrived and produced to promote higher sales in priority to higher quality. Like it or not this did provide much more access to music and varied artists at lower prices. Along with it came the electronics industry and a host of players in the market.

Maybe the majority of consumers caught on and realized you didn’t need the best of equipment to listen to mainstream music industry product. That idea is still in play except for a few of us.

Mr. Widget
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe the majority of consumers caught on and realized you didn’t need the best of equipment to listen to mainstream music industry product. That idea is still in play except for a few of us.
I doubt it is that sophisticated a market response. I vote for fashion trends... HiFi was cool... now it is the bastion of the "geek squad".

Widget

DavidF
02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
I doubt it is that sophisticated a market response. I vote for fashion trends... HiFi was cool... now it is the bastion of the "geek squad".

Widget

Other possible factors in play, maybe. Four or five TV channels, crapola for programing, the world wide vistas on our laptops an unimagined dream, a lot of us did not have much entertainment choice but to get together for some tunes at someone's crib.

Still, the software industry and computer hardware makers have been in constant ying and yang pressure to improve the standard of computer performance. Not a fair analogy, perhaps, but I would have liked to seen the music industry strive far more to raise the bar rather than fall into complacency with digital and their 'perfect' medium the CD.

Titanium Dome
02-18-2012, 10:30 PM
JBl (Harman) may not be raising the bar very much, but I do believe the bar is being raised in these "Hear the Truth" initiatives. At least they're trying to use identifiable musicians to make the connection. It was Stan Kenton, Dave Brubeck, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and The Who that got me to graduate from transistor radios and self-contained monaural turntables to real stereos with JBL speakers.

svollmer
08-02-2013, 05:35 AM

Widget

I have a friend who has a pretty nice stereo and truly loves (and regularly purchases) music. When I told him about the recent Capital Audiofest and suggested he might enjoy attending, his responded that he imagined the people who attend such events are the same as those who attend Comic-con conventions or play Dungeons and Dragons. Seriously!

It surprised me that someone who was so into music thought that about us. But, I'm still proud to be an audionut.

Titanium Dome
01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks to Smarty-pants over at AVS, here's a link to an interesting Hear the Truth piece. There's a lot of footage of the Mexico operation, and some of the video of actual production is fun to see. In addition, there's some Northridge footage and several JBL talking heads.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/blog/pro-audio/jbl-hearing-the-truth-trailer/

BTW, I bought my LSR308s from Unique Squared.

Mctwins
01-07-2014, 05:13 AM
Thanks to Smarty-pants over at AVS, here's a link to an interesting Hear the Truth piece. There's a lot of footage of the Mexico operation, and some of the video of actual production is fun to see. In addition, there's some Northridge footage and several JBL talking heads.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/blog/pro-audio/jbl-hearing-the-truth-trailer/

BTW, I bought my LSR308s from Unique Squared.

Cool:applaud:

Seems to be good quality with those transducer coming from Mexico:bouncy:

I like the comparison with ordinary car and racing car.:D

organeu
09-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Jbl hear the truth