PDA

View Full Version : DIY Crossover Help

Sootshe
02-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Need some advice on terminals to use for my latest crossoverbuild.

I want to run all the connecting wires underneath the board,leaving the components on top of the board. I thought of using binding postsfor all the connecting points, but it becomes very expensive, as I will have 10connection points.

Then I thought to use brass threaded rod.........I can justput a nut & washer on the bottom & on the top I could put a washer witha brass domed nut to give a better finished look.

What is the opinion of the conductivity of brass for theseconnections? I know copper would be better, but I have found that impossible tosource.

I would normally use a terminal block from Mouser(538-38780-0110) which is zinc chromate plated screw terminals in a thermoplastichousing.

Any thoughts appreciated,
John

Allanvh5150
02-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Hi John, There are a heap of binding posts on Ebay for not a large amount of money. Check there and you may find something that suits your taste.

Allan.

rdgrimes
02-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Brass is a fairly poor conductor, and does tend to accumulate patina over time. If copper is not practical, anything with nickel plating is the next best thing.

Sootshe
02-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi John, There are a heap of binding posts on Ebay for not a large amount of money. Check there and you may find something that suits your taste.

Allan.

Thanks for the tip.....you're right. I'll probably pick some up there.

Sootshe
02-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Brass is a fairly poor conductor, and does tend to accumulate patina over time. If copper is not practical, anything with nickel plating is the next best thing.

Thanks,
You've confirmed what I was probably thinking.

Allanvh5150
02-04-2012, 11:18 PM
The cheep stuff on Ebay is gold plated as well.

Sootshe
02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I've found the solution.
Connect to input, bass, mid, treble on top. All wiring connects underneath.
Thanks for everyones input

DHL
02-08-2012, 07:57 PM
You can also use "TAG" boards, that are popular with the tube amp builders. These are already built as you suggest, with a parallel row of pins.

See, for example,

http://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-75500.html

http://www.partsconnexion.com/media/product/boards_strips/connex_75501.jpg