PDA

View Full Version : New Project 4344M

4344M
02-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Hello to everyone,i am newbie here,I always admired the loudspeakers made by this amazing company,i had several DIY speaker building projects,some with lower end quality drivers.
I had the idea of building a new pair of small size speakers,and the first thing i did I searched for JBL models as always.
My problem is that here in Europe is almost impossible to find some drivers that were originally used in the enclosures that I'd like to replicate (4344M)
Do you think it's a good idea to copy the enclosures and use some other brand drivers and keep the quality as high as possible(Beyma ,Seas,Vifa),or it would be better
to wait for the ocasion for some JBL drivers to appear.My othe problem is that I can't spend more than 1000 dollar on this project ,do you think I can find some JBL drivers under this pricetag?
Are there any replacement drivers for those drivers made back in the 80's that i can buy now(new ones)
Thank you and sorry for my english!

Amnes
02-01-2012, 10:40 AM
I have bad news for you. First of all you will not find a single pair of 4344M (compact) components in Europe. Secondly you will not find any substitutes for original JBL speakers. Of course you can copy the cabinet design and stuff them with different speakers (basically you'll have to do all the sound engineering by yourself) and you'll only be able to achieve a slight visual resemblance of the real thing. Soundwise - not a chance. Third of all - for 1000USD all you can get a pair of 15" JBL woofers.

Maybe you should consider buying a pair of smaller vintage JBL speakers?