PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet maintenance and upkeep

Mike F
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. What would you all recommend as far as cleaning and protecting the walnut veneer found on so many models.
My speakers are in fabulous condition and I`d like to keep them that way.

I`m thinking, before protecting the finish, it should first be cleaned of dust, fingerprints and other pollutants.
What would be a good proceedure to follow? What products should be used?
TIA

Robh3606
01-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Here is what JBL recommended

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/general/finish.htm

Rob:)

Mike F
01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Here is what JBL recommended

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/general/finish.htm

Thanks for the link Rob. Do the 4425s have a lacquer or oil finish?

Rolf
01-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Her is a couple of pictures. Before and after. I use the Liberon Finishing Oil every 2n'd year. Makes the walnut shine.

Robh3606
01-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Do the 4425s have a lacquer or oil finish?

All the WX's like 4425 are oil finish.

DHL
02-08-2012, 03:35 AM
I like to use the products containing beeswax and lemon/orange oil. This product has a paste like consistancy and is easier to apply on vertical surfaces than a straight oil. You wipe it on like a paste wax, rub it in with a staurated cloth, let stand for a few minutes, then wipe the excess off and polish. Seals the wood and reduces drying over just an oil. Also smells fantastic. One product is "Howard Feed-N-Wax" available at Ace Hardware.

Mike F
02-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the suggestion so far. Upon further investigation, I decided to give the Watco Danish Oil a try (no disrespect to the JBL factory recommendations) as many here seem to have had good results with the product.
Not wanting to darken the Walnut finish any further, I`ll go with the natural option as there are a few to choose from.
I`ll post some pictures when I`m done, hopefully soon:)

SEAWOLF97
02-08-2012, 10:56 AM
I like to use the products containing beeswax and lemon/orange oil. This product has a paste like consistancy and is easier to apply on vertical surfaces than a straight oil. You wipe it on like a paste wax, rub it in with a staurated cloth, let stand for a few minutes, then wipe the excess off and polish. Seals the wood and reduces drying over just an oil. Also smells fantastic. One product is "Howard Feed-N-Wax" available at Ace Hardware.

I used an Australian beeswax product on my 250ti's ...it has a citrus cleaner with the wax ...you rub it in with very fine steel wool , that cleans the accumulated gunk out of the wood pores ...the teaks grain seemed to gain depth and brightness with the application.

Mike F
02-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I just finished oiling the cabinets. Before starting, they were dusted followed by a couple of passes with a "Magic Eraser". It`s amazing what that little pad can pick up!
Applied a liberal coat of natural Watco Danish Oil, let stand for 30 minutes, applied second coat and wiped down 15 minutes later as per their instructions.
Pretty happy with the results, the veneer certainly has more depth to it and the wood grain sure stands out.

Mr. Widget
02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I just finished oiling the cabinets. Before starting, they were dusted followed by a couple of passes with a "Magic Eraser". It`s amazing what that little pad can pick up!What is Magic Eraser?

FWIW: I almost always use Watco Natural on walnut, you may need to follow up in six months, but it does a wonderful job and is so easy to use!

Widget

Mike F
02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
What is Magic Eraser?

FWIW: I almost always use Watco Natural on walnut, you may need to follow up in six months, but it does a wonderful job and is so easy to use!

Widget
http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

Whoever invented that thing should have won a Nobel prize, or at least been nominated.