PDA

View Full Version : New JBL Series Sound Reinforcement Boxs

Oldmics
09-17-2004, 11:24 AM
They are using the differential drive coil scheme (as in the Eons).

It will be interesting to see how this fares out.

Follow the link below

http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/index.htm

johnaec
09-17-2004, 12:12 PM
They seem to be using differential drive design in more and more of their stuff, including some of the AM dance club stuff, and obviously the Vertec series. They're also using DD on their high-end car subs.

I'd really like to see a comparison in distortion/frequency response/output with their traditional drivers sometime. I'm thinking there must be some reason, (price? other?), that they haven't filtered into studio/home systems.

John

Zilch
09-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Somebody explain differential drive....

boputnam
09-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Zilch
Somebody explain differential drive.... JBL combined neodymium with the Differential Drive speaker. The Differential Drive system uses two voice-coil windings on a single voice-coil former. This greatly simplifies the magnetic circuit and eliminates the need for a heavy steel back plate - further reducing speaker weight. But the benefits of neodymium Differential DriveŽ technology extend beyond weight reduction. Since this design results in a symmetrical magnetic circuit, significant reductions in even-order harmonic-distortion are achieved.

From the Eon product lit.

boputnam
09-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Hey, Oldmics...

Have you heard these? The line has a lot of similarities to EV's QRx line, which I like quite a lot. The SRX715F is a dead-ringer for the QRx115/75. Hmm... :hmm:

Zilch
09-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
The Differential Drive system uses two voice-coil windings on a single voice-coil former.Yeah, well, dual voice coils have been common for a while, now, in subwoofers, for example. You drive one from each channel, and the speaker sums left and right electomechanically.

This is allegedly different, though, the coils not being wound on top of each other, rather, displaced? And operated in parallel but reverse polarity? I'm not gettin' this; I need pictures. Send me somewhere to a tech brief or something. I need to appreciate it ain't just hype.... :p

johnaec
09-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Zilch
Somebody explain differential drive.... Check out all four sections under GTi SUBWOOFERS: The Technologies http://www.jbl.com/car/products/gti/gti_tech.asp

They are about their car subs but explains the technology pretty well. There's also probably a lot of info in the Vertec docs.

John

Zilch
09-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Thus renewing my commitment to making an isobaric LE14A triple-chamber bandpass sub.

Just one more LE14A to find here.... :D

Don McRitchie
09-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I'm thinking there must be some reason, (price? other?), that they haven't filtered into studio/home systems.

They've been a core technology of the LSR studio monitor line for the past 5 years. They are also used in the K2 center channel and 4348 home speakers. They are very low distortion devices with lower levels of power compression than any other JBL driver type.

johnaec
09-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Don McRitchie
They've been a core technology of the LSR studio monitor line for the past 5 years. They are also used in the K2 center channel and 4348 home speakers. They are very low distortion devices with lower levels of power compression than any other JBL driver type. "Didn't realize they were in that stuff - I'll have to do a little catching up...

John

Don McRitchie
09-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Here's a cross-section image of the 12" DD woofer from the LSR32 and description.

mikebake
09-17-2004, 08:26 PM
I'd like to hear the SRX738.............................nice full range cab.

Oldmics
09-17-2004, 10:59 PM
You can see the stacked coil design.

To Bo

I have not heard the EV stuff.I really liked the RMD design of the X-Array.(Can I say that on this Forum??????) I will investigate futher.Thanx for the tip.

Oldmics

Alex Lancaster
09-18-2004, 07:15 AM
And the dealie with a wire (right in the middle) is a resistor for the brake?

Thanks, Alex.

Zilch
09-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Didn't read about any brake, though it is shown as a separate coil there....