PDA

View Full Version : Removing drivers/crossovers on a 4311

hitechluddite
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
I posted this in the DIY Forum but this may be a better place for it....

Hello everyone.

I have a set of 4311B's that I bought new from WDS in 1981 They still look and sound great, the only problem is the level pots for the mids and tweeters are noisy and sometimes cause a complete dropout of that driver. I removed the foil from one side and found the crossover mounting screws. I removed the screws from the mid but the driver will not come out of the cabinet. I don't want to start prying and mess up my nearly mint enclosures. Any suggestions on getting the crossovers out so I can rinse the pots in de-ox-id and get them back to 100%. Would a little heat from a hairdryer help or hurt?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Odd
01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
You will not have access from mid. See drawing. (http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/technicalsheet/4311B%20ts.pdf) You must remove the woofer.

hitechluddite
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Odd Thanks a lot! That will come in very handy! I plan on picking up another pair soon and using the 4 of them as front and rears for my home theatre. The ones I'm looking to get need a little work so this will help a lot.

The question still remains, how do you getthe drivers loose without damaging them or the enclosure?

kaz
01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Friend in Indy,

Lay your cabinet on its back.
Remove the 4 woofer mounting machine screws.
Carefully slide the blade of a rounded corner putty knife under the lip of the woofer flange.
Maybe slip a piece of paper under the blade to protect the facia.
Gently rock the putty knife.
Pick another spot, repeat.
You will feel the driver's seal unseat, and you will be able to lift out the transducer.
Make a note of the polarity of the connecting wires.

I've also had good luck with nylon trim-removal tools for automobiles. Just think, broad,flat,strong.
And take your time.

You should have easy access to your troublesome crossover.

kaz