PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between LE15A and 2226J ?

roads31
01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
I thought I would pose the question this way. I asked in a previous post about trying a 2226J in a Metregon, I guess no one has. Any advice would be more than I have now.
Thanks,
Gary

Ruediger
01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I thought I would pose the question this way. I asked in a previous post about trying a 2226J in a Metregon, I guess no one has. Any advice would be more than I have now.
Thanks,
Gary

There are three competing goals, when designing a loudspeaker. They are:

1.) low low-frequency limit
2.) small box volume
3.) high efficiency

Whenever You optimize one of these three properties, You must pay the price that one or both of the other properties get worse.

The LE15A is optimized for a low low-frequency limit (deep bass), the price is a low efficiency and quite some required box volume.

The E130 musical instrument speaker, for example, was optimized for high efficiency and a small box volume, the price is a high low-frequency limit (no bass).

The 2226 is in between, its low-frequency limit is okay for HiFi, its efficieny is okay for a discotheque, and the box volume is moderate.

Ruediger

roads31
01-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Hello Ruediger,

Thanks for your input. I had a discussion awhile back with whom I cannot remember, he had claimed that the LE15's used in the Metregon aren't matched well to the design, the spec's call for a bit more volume. If this is true or not, I do not know and haven't really put much energy into finding out. I am quite satisfied with the LE15A performance in the Metregon, the 2226J question is more of a curiosity. I think if no one here has much of an opinion to sway me that it isn't worth trying, I'll go ahead and try it and post my findings.

Thanks,
Gary

Mr. Widget
01-06-2012, 01:51 PM
The Metregon isn't a particularly sophisticated design. By that I mean the networks are very basic and should work with a variety of JBL woofers. That said, you'll likely find the 2226 is too sensitive and puts out too much midbass and midrange energy.

Widget