PDA

View Full Version : S4700 for sale in the USA

Valentin
01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
:)

JBL Synthesis:
The brand is launching three high-end speakers, including a $20,000 U.S./pair S4700 tower positioned as a more affordable version of the $44,000 U.S./pair K2-S9900.
The S4700 is a three-way floorstanding speaker with 15- inch woofer, horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver, and horn-loaded ultra-high-frequency compression driver operating from 16kHz.
In its Array series, JBL is bringing back two models discontinued a few years ago. Like other Array models, both feature a three-way design with woofer, horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver, and horn-loaded ultra-high-frequency compression driver.
The Array 1000 is a floorstanding tower with a targeted suggested retail of about $9,000 U.S./pair. The Array 800 is a bookshelf speaker at a targeted $7,000 U.S./pair

http://canadahifi.com/index.php/new-products-from-harman/

JeffW
01-04-2012, 05:55 PM
The Array 800 is a bookshelf speaker at a targeted $7,000 U.S./pair

Man, I paid 1/3 of that for my pair during the closeout sale. And I personally would have a hard time paying much more for them.

They are great little speakers, and I'm sure they'll sell for a discount under MSRP, but that $7K figure is just insane for these little guys.

JBLAddict
01-06-2012, 06:32 PM
aside from announcing a bunch of products quoted in US $, don't see anything to indicate the JBL's will be for sale in the US?

4313B
01-07-2012, 08:51 AM
They are great little speakers, and I'm sure they'll sell for a discount under MSRP, but that $7K figure is just insane for these little guys.Well, it doesn't make any sense to those of us who know what goes into them. But to someone with alot of disposable income who is buying an HT package and doesn't really pay much attention it does make sense.

In other words, in their target range, if you priced them for less, you couldn't sell any. The kind of people that buy them WANT to pay $7k for them. They'd be insulted to spend less.

Hey19
01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Well, it doesn't make any sense to those of us who know what goes into them. But to someone with alot of disposable income who is buying an HT package and doesn't really pay much attention it does make sense.

In other words, in their target range, if you priced them for less, you couldn't sell any. The kind of people that buy them WANT to pay $7k for them. They'd be insulted to spend less.

live? More seriously, what drivers will they use?

tom1040
01-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Well, it doesn't make any sense to those of us who know what goes into them. But to someone with alot of disposable income who is buying an HT package and doesn't really pay much attention it does make sense.

Interesting concerning "what goes into them" comment. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the lineup, it appears.:confused:

4313B
01-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Interesting concerning "what goes into them" comment. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the lineup, it appears.:confused:What goes into them:

One analogy might be that the drivers in the 800 Array and 1000 Array are to the drivers in the 1400 Array as the drivers in an L36 were to the drivers in an L96. Price points.

Also, the cost of the systems has far outpaced the cost of the components (one exception would be the Everest II and K2-S9900 components, those puppies are truly expensive endeavors). That's one reason why we are no longer able to buy components. One could build a clone for a very realistic price.

Remember back in the day when you could buy all the components for an L300 and build your own box? The cost savings wasn't all that impressive. You did it primarily because you enjoyed it. The guy or gal down the street who had no interest in spending any kind of time in a woodshop cheerfully spent the money to get the real deal.

If you could buy the components for a pair of S4700 clones and build your own boxes the cost savings would be staggering.

Guido
01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Also, the cost of the systems has far outpaced the cost of the components (one exception would be the Everest II and K2-S9900 components, those puppies are truly expensive endeavors). That's one reason why we are no longer able to buy components. One could build a clone for a very realistic price.
If you could buy the components for a pair of S4700 clones and build your own boxes the cost savings would be staggering.

You're absolutely right!
There IS some cost saving when cloning the Everest II. But it's far from staggering :(

Without the help of forum friends it's impossible anyway.

tom1040
01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
What goes into them:

One analogy might be that the drivers in the 800 Array and 1000 Array are to the drivers in the 1400 Array as the drivers in an L36 were to the drivers in an L96. Price points.

Remember back in the day when you could buy all the components for an L300 and build your own box? The cost savings wasn't all that impressive. You did it primarily because you enjoyed it. The guy or gal down the street who had no interest in spending any kind of time in a woodshop cheerfully spent the money to get the real deal.

NO. I do not remember the good 'ole days. I do not build speakers. That-to me, is what JBL does(did). However, I do have have some speakers that were built by JBL. I actually paid $ for them. I am just curious where the cost cutting (@ the price point) lies. Example? 1400 Array.

Perhaps another would be S/2600. I am not a woodworker & never will be. No matter.:eek:

Mr. Widget
01-07-2012, 10:10 PM
JBL Synthesis:
The brand is launching three high-end speakers, including a $20,000 U.S./pair S4700 tower positioned as a more affordable version of the $44,000 U.S./pair K2-S9900.Thanks Valentin,

Our rep told us about the S-4700, but I didn't know about all the rest. I'll find out more next week at CES. :bouncy:

Widget

Mr. Widget
01-07-2012, 10:10 PM
You're absolutely right!
There IS some cost saving when cloning the Everest II. But it's far from staggering :(

Without the help of forum friends it's impossible anyway.I know what you mean... for the Everest especially, with all due respect to the fabulous work done by our friends at Kenrick Sound, cloning a 43XX is some work, but cloning an Everest II is in another world.

I am seriously considering "cloning" the 1400 Array. I would use the same horns/drivers, and a CC'd version of the same networks, but I will change the aesthetic design. I love the way these things sound, but the look of them is still a little jarring even after having them for over a year. It will cost me a bit over 50% of the $12K list price to do my own... not counting my labor, but it would be fun and gratifying, not to mention I would end up with a speaker that I'd prefer to look at. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't suggest that JBL is charging too much for the finished speakers... sure $12K is a lot of money for a pair of speakers, but it is far less in today's dollars than a pair of Hartsfields, or other high end JBLs cost back in the '60s. I am sure if they could make a profit at a lower price they would give it a go. Shipping wood to China and then large heavy cabinets from China to Mexico, and then the finished product to the USA is expensive. :duck:

Widget

JBLAddict
01-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I am sure if they could make a profit at a lower price they would give it a go. Shipping wood to China and then large heavy cabinets from China to Mexico, and then the finished product to the USA is expensive. :duck:

Widget

can't be.....CEO Dinesh Paliwal just received the Prestigious Corporate Leadership Award (http://www.harman.com/EN-US/Newscenter/Pages/Paliwal_AIF_December_2011.aspx) from the American India Foundation??? :p

4313B
01-08-2012, 01:29 PM
I am seriously considering "cloning" the 1400 Array. I would use the same horns/drivers, and a CC'd version of the same networks, but I will change the aesthetic design. I love the way these things sound, but the look of them is still a little jarring even after having them for over a year. It will cost me a bit over 50% of the $12K list price to do my own... not counting my labor, but it would be fun and gratifying, not to mention I would end up with a speaker that I'd prefer to look at. ;)You might want to consider using the LE14H-4 instead for that little extra efficiency. You'd have to listen to an S4600 though and see if the -4 has enough bottom end for you. The SAM1HF and the LE14H-3 or LE14H-4 makes a great clone. There's also the 1501FE for some additional kick.

As far as them recycling the 800 and 1000 Array, I've got to think that the SAM1HF/SAM2LF combo is the better choice to spend money on. I could be wrong though. :dont-know:

Mr. Widget
01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
You might want to consider using the LE14H-4 instead for that little extra efficiency. You'd have to listen to an S4600 though and see if the -4 has enough bottom end for you. The SAM1HF and the LE14H-3 or LE14H-4 makes a great clone. There's also the 1501FE for some additional kick.

As far as them recycling the 800 and 1000 Array, I've got to think that the SAM1HF/SAM2LF combo is the better choice to spend money on. I could be wrong though. :dont-know:I've thought of that... a pair of LE14H-4s, kind of a mini Everest II, but I have the LE14H-3s and don't have the -4... and then there is the R+D, Greg has already done it for the !400 Arrays. ;)

As for the SAM1HF/SAM2LF, it is kick ass as a HT solution punching far above it's weight as they say, but for music, even when calibrated through the SDECs in a proper Synthesis system... nope, I much prefer the 1400 Array. Now, compared to the lesser Arrays? :dont-know:

Widget

richluvsound
01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Without the help of forum friends it's impossible anyway.

Sitting here enjoying my help :yes:

JBLAddict
01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Funny as hell - actually, its from the the American INDIA Foundation ... there IS a difference! ;)

I did note that when posting and thought it strange that the foundation would use a name synonymous with Native American. I figured since the PC shift from AI to NA is near complete, the decided to take the name over :)

I corrected mine if you want to delete yours :D

hjames
01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I did note that when posting and thought it strange that the foundation would use a name synonymous with Native American. I figured since the PC shift from AI to NA is near complete, the decided to take the name over :)

I corrected mine if you want to delete yours
No problem - but CEO Dinesh Paliwalidingdongday is still a big troll!:D

4313B
01-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I've thought of that... a pair of LE14H-4s, kind of a mini Everest II, but I have the LE14H-3s and don't have the -4... and then there is the R+D, Greg has already done it for the !400 Arrays. ;)Ah! Yes, if you already have the -3's then definitely use them. So you're going to make some new enclosures for your current pair of 1400 Arrays then? Might as well just go with the old tried and true 250Ti volume of 4 cubic feet tuned to 28 Hz then?
As for the SAM1HF/SAM2LF, it is kick ass as a HT solution punching far above it's weight as they say, but for music, even when calibrated through the SDECs in a proper Synthesis system... nope, I much prefer the 1400 Array. Now, compared to the lesser Arrays? :dont-know:I'm thinking of the SAM1HF with the 1400 Array filter whenever I suggest it. I think that's what Junior JBL ended up doing. I still have his SAM1HF networks. I think he built charge-coupled 1400 Array networks to replace them.

JeffW
01-08-2012, 07:59 PM
There's also the 1501FE for some additional kick.

Did you ever get yours sorted out?

4313B
01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Did you ever get yours sorted out?Nope.

Mr. Widget
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Ah! Yes, if you already have the -3's then definitely use them. So you're going to make some new enclosures for your current pair of 1400 Arrays then?Nope... keeping them intact. I'll buy a pair of SAM1HFs and combine them with the LE14H-3s and CC'd 1400 Array networks. It'll be interesting to use my factory 1400 Arrays as a benchmark. I may sell them afterwards, but I use them as demos already and in that context I really need to keep them around.

Now back to the S4700s... any ideas why they would engineer two new drivers? It seems to me they should have built the system around the 435AL and 045Ti and gone with a CC'd network.

Widget

4313B
01-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Nope... keeping them intact. I'll buy a pair of SAM1HFs and combine them with the LE14H-3s and CC'd 1400 Array networks. It'll be interesting to use my factory 1400 Arrays as a benchmark.Definitely.
Now back to the S4700s... any ideas why they would engineer two new drivers? It seems to me they should have built the system around the 435AL and 045Ti and gone with a CC'd network.My guess would be that it was too much money for the 435AL and 045Ti to make the price point. The 175Nd-3 and 138Nd are less expensive. I can't remember the price difference at the moment but there definitely was one. Possibly a better yield per unit too. CC'd networks are reserved for the K2 and E2 and they're more money. I'm sure that the 2216Nd is a real nice driver but that 3-inch voice coil on a fifteen caused serious pause for me. I know times are changing but I'm not ready to go back to smaller voice coils just yet.

The system sure looks nice though.

JBLAddict
01-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Definitely.My guess would be that it was too much money for the 435AL and 045Ti to make the price point. The 175Nd-3 and 138Nd are less expensive. I can't remember the price difference at the moment but there definitely was one. Possibly a better yield per unit too. CC'd networks are reserved for the K2 and E2 and they're more money. I'm sure that the 2216Nd is a real nice driver but that 3-inch voice coil on a fifteen caused serious pause for me. I know times are changing but I'm not ready to go back to smaller voice coils just yet.

I heard the S4600 (H-4, 175Nd-3, 138Nd) and the 4338 (1500FE, 435Al, 045Ti) in the same shop in Akihabara, and it was no contest, from that day I've been the convinced that the 435Al/045Ti combo is magic, and the 1400Array (which I haven't heard) testimonials continually back that.

Would love to get the 1400, 4700, 5800, 9900 in the Northridge rotating demo room with a cashiers check laid in front of me for which ever I picked blindly. This of course assumes the slightly flawed 9900 west coast cabinet discount is part of the deal :D

Mr. Widget
01-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Would love to get the 1400, 4700, 5800, 9900 in the Northridge rotating demo room with a cashiers check laid in front of me for which ever I picked blindly. This of course assumes the slightly flawed 9900 west coast cabinet discount is part of the deal :DI did have the 1400 and the 9900 in my living room... the 9900 with a sub beats the 1400. Add in the cost differential and the fact that I didn't have room for a sub and wasn't interested in hiding one under the house and porting it up... the 1400 won fairly easily. No regrets.

I didn't realize that JBL was already using those HF components in the S4600 (I really didn't pay much attention to it since it doesn't exist in my market). I guess it does make sense to use them then, but I have to believe in the blind shuffle room the 1400 Array would wipe the floor with the significantly more expensive S4700... open the curtain and the S4700 should hold it's own. The S4700 is a nicely balanced aesthetic design. I wonder how well it will sell... we have sold a couple of pairs of the K2-S9900s, they are very room friendly and seem to do well in the WAF department as well... too bad they cost as much as a new car! If they weren't so darned expensive I am sure we could sell more. I am sure JBL is aware of this and hence the S4700.

Widget

Titanium Dome
01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
the K2-S9900s, they are very room friendly and seem to do well in the WAF department as well... too bad they cost as much as a new car! If they weren't so darned expensive I am sure we could sell more. I am sure JBL is aware of this and hence the S4700.

Widget

The GAF ain't bad either. :smsex:

The S4700 would have a harder time getting in the house here, especially with its boxier look. Those curves and the cleavage on the K2 S9900 do connect with some on a visceral level.

http://harmanhighperformance.blogspot.com/2012/01/harmans-jbl-synthesis-debuts-its.html

JBLAddict
01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
The GAF ain't bad either. :smsex:

The S4700 would have a harder time getting in the house here, especially with its boxier look.

http://harmanhighperformance.blogspot.com/2012/01/harmans-jbl-synthesis-debuts-its.html

the article put it differently ;): "a furniture grade cherry wood finish accented by the graceful curves of the horn drivers and enclosure and its understated black grille cloth. The JBL S4700 will complement the most luxurious living environments and the finest music and home theater systems."

JBLAddict
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I have to believe in the blind shuffle room the 1400 Array would wipe the floor with the significantly more expensive S4700...
Widget

that's why I'd like to hear these systems together, in double blind. maybe you'll sell the 4700 and be able to run that comparison?

pos
01-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Nope... keeping them intact. I'll buy a pair of SAM1HFs and combine them with the LE14H-3s and CC'd 1400 Array networks. It'll be interesting to use my factory 1400 Arrays as a benchmark. I may sell them afterwards, but I use them as demos already and in that context I really need to keep them around.

I hope you will have time to try a 4" Be driver (476Be or 2450Be) as a replacement for the 435+045 down the road!

Mr. Widget
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I hope you will have time to try a 4" Be driver (476Be or 2450Be) as a replacement for the 435+045 down the road!Since I have the Truextent Be diaphragms a 4" Be version could certainly be an eventual possibility, but it would require a bit more R+D to get the networks dialed in. I wouldn't rule it out as I am certain that it would be a worthy upgrade, but the 435AL sounds very good in the system already!

Widget

tom1040
01-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Definitely.My guess would be that it was too much money for the 435AL and 045Ti to make the price point. The 175Nd-3 and 138Nd are less expensive. I can't remember the price difference at the moment but there definitely was one. Possibly a better yield per unit too. CC'd networks are reserved for the K2 and E2 and they're more money. I'm sure that the 2216Nd is a real nice driver but that 3-inch voice coil on a fifteen caused serious pause for me. I know times are changing but I'm not ready to go back to smaller voice coils just yet.

did i read that the woofer had dual 3" coils?

Odd
01-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Mr. Widget
01-09-2012, 06:24 PM
More about the S4700 in English.

Widget

Guido
01-10-2012, 02:41 AM
I currently use a Be4016 Truextent in a Radian 951PB (1,4" version of the 950PB) on a modified H9800 together with one 1400ND. Network design wasn't too easy but now, I can tell ya. I'll not go back to the 3" drivers (2435, 435)
I prefer the Radian as Truextent core as it has a 5 slit phase plug and is clearly superior above 12kHz to the JBL cores. But well..... this is a JBL forum.

Since I have the Truextent Be diaphragms a 4" Be version could certainly be an eventual possibility, but it would require a bit more R+D to get the networks dialed in. I wouldn't rule it out as I am certain that it would be a worthy upgrade, but the 435AL sounds very good in the system already!

Widget

4313B
01-10-2012, 06:33 AM
did i read that the woofer had dual 3" coils?Yep. That's all they could fit in the motor assembly. I'll stick with the fours. They're more expensive but they're worth it.

I'll not go back to the 3" drivers (2435, 435)
I'm basically disgusted with their build quality. I've had a half dozen break at this point. They definitely are not robust like the legacy JBL compression drivers.

They do sound really nice when they are 100%.

Like JBL said though, they were designed to bolt into a loudspeaker at the factory and not take any kind of abuse outside of the system. Apparently that abuse would include simply carrying them across a large room. :rotfl:
I prefer the Radian as Truextent core as it has a 5 slit phase plug and is clearly superior above 12kHz to the JBL cores. But well..... this is a JBL forum.Interesting. We had this very discussion at JBL and it wasn't clearly supperior at that time (2006). :hmm:

Robh3606
01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Interesting. We had this very discussion at JBL and it wasn't clearly supperior at that time (2006). :hmm:

Hello 4313B

Are you talking about a comparison between the TAD vs Coherent Wave phase plugs ??

Rob:)

4313B
01-10-2012, 09:22 AM
The merits of going with a five slit phase plug.

Robh3606
01-10-2012, 10:54 AM
The merits of going with a five slit phase plug.

OK I thought the Coherent Phase has 4 and the equivalent TAD has 5 slits. Didn't they look at this at one time or another. I figured TAD was the competition back in 2006.

Rob:)

richluvsound
01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=Guido;326827]I currently use a Be4016 Truextent in a Radian 951PB (1,4" version of the 950PB) on a modified H9800 together with one 1400ND.

Hi Guido ,
Whats the volume on the 1400nd box ? I have been curious about this since we last spoke .

Rich

Mr. Widget
01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I currently use a Be4016 Truextent in a Radian 951PB (1,4" version of the 950PB) on a modified H9800 together with one 1400ND. Network design wasn't too easy but now, I can tell ya. I'll not go back to the 3" drivers (2435, 435)
I prefer the Radian as Truextent core as it has a 5 slit phase plug and is clearly superior above 12kHz to the JBL cores. But well..... this is a JBL forum.Looking at the Radian site, I can't find any info on the 951PB or any 4" diaphragmed driver that isn't a 2" exit.

Widget

Guido
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Guido;326827]I currently use a Be4016 Truextent in a Radian 951PB (1,4" version of the 950PB) on a modified H9800 together with one 1400ND.

Hi Guido ,
Whats the volume on the 1400nd box ? I have been curious about this since we last spoke .

Rich

App. 100l tuned very low around 28Hz. Quite similar to the lower M9500 cab. Gives tremendous bass in smaller rooms.

Guido
01-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Looking at the Radian site, I can't find any info on the 951PB or any 4" diaphragmed driver that isn't a 2" exit.

Widget

It's not on the website. The 951PB is the 1.4" version of the 950PB.

richluvsound
01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks Guido,

Basically , I could reduce the size by 30 % compared to my BLS Reference SE ( Somerville Edition) :D
That would be great . Maybe time to tidy them up and sell these . Call you soon !

Rich

BTW .... congrats on the new Pass and your Cabs are breathtakingly beautiful ... Love them German craftsmen !

JBLAddict
01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
The guy from work who was with me in Japan to hear the E2, K2, 4338, S4600, etc is at CES today and sent this pic at my request. Said they sound good but couldn't turn them up loud enough to compare to treated, closed listening room in Japan.

Titanium Dome
01-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Superficially that looks similar to a K2 S9900 from the front, but it's a clever misdirection. The S4700 is a right angle box, not the voluptuous roundness of the K2. The drivers in the horns are smaller and of lesser materials. The woofer is less robust. The networks are not charge-coupled. The port and speaker connection unit are not a cast Al unit. The impressive cleavage of the K2 enclosure and horns is missing.

I'm not disparaging it; I'm just making the obvious comparisons. I posted over on AVS that it's 55% of the K2 at 45% of the price, which in my book makes it a pretty good deal. A few forumites disagreed, writing it was less than 55% of the K2, but I do really think it gives at least 55% of what the K2 excels at.

I posted these easily searchable component pics: two from the K2 and the last one from the S4700.

JeffW
01-11-2012, 09:58 PM
FWIW, the mid compression driver is the same one in the 800 Array, and I don't recognize that tweeter.

4313B
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm not disparaging it; I'm just making the obvious comparisons. I posted over on AVS that it's 55% of the K2 at 45% of the price, which in my book makes it a pretty good deal. A few forumites disagreed, writing it was less than 55% of the K2, but I do really think it gives at least 55% of what the K2 excels at.Given that it isn't a full blown K2 at 45% of the price I'd probably just stick with a pair of L300's with full mods for a few grand. :rotfl: ;)

JBLAddict
01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
The guy from work who was with me in Japan to hear the E2, K2, 4338, S4600, etc is at CES today and sent this pic at my request. Said they sound good but couldn't turn them up loud enough to compare to treated, closed listening room in Japan.

Apparently he was with some audiophile friends, B&W, tube amp fellers, blah blah blah, but said they commented, "wow THIS is what great speakers should sound like!"

tom1040
01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I would love to hear this speaker. A BIG step up from the 1400 Array? I , for one, am curious.

tom1040
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
after all, it is almost double list price.:blink:

Goophy
01-13-2012, 02:05 AM
I would love to hear this speaker. A BIG step up from the 1400 Array? I , for one, am curious.

I highly doubt it.
The drivers are the same as the ones in Studio 4429, with a bigger bass and slightly bigger horn(?).

The Array 1400 is WAY better than the 4429. The 045ti and 435AL-drivers are pretty good.

4313B
01-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Correct.

My personal opinion is that the best way to view this is for people who just can't live with the looks of a 1400 Array.

"You don't like the 1400 Array? Then we'll sell you something a little more conventional looking and charge you double for it."

Don't get me wrong though. I do like the looks of this system and it probably sounds quite good. I could see paying around five or six grand for a pair. I just have a problem with sinking tons of money into second and third tier components.

Yep, those SAM1HF's sporting 1400 Array networks and a bass driver of choice look better and better by the day...

tom1040
01-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Correct.

My personal opinion is that the best way to view this is for people who just can't live with the looks of a 1400 Array.

"You don't like the 1400 Array? Then we'll sell you something a little more conventional looking and charge you double for it."

Don't get me wrong though. I do like the looks of this system and it probably sounds quite good. I could see paying around five or six grand for a pair. I just have a problem with sinking tons of money into second and third tier components.

I think I may be one of the few who actually like the looks of the Array. I like that they appear different than the norm. So does my wife. ;)

Mr. Widget
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Yep, those SAM1HF's sporting 1400 Array networks and a bass driver of choice look better and better by the day...Just got back from CES... saw them in person and kinda sorta heard them. Unfortunately they were playing in a large suite with all of the new Mark Levinson and Revel gear also in the room so tons of people were milling about and talking. I did look at them, and they do look far more conventional...

I wasn't in love with the materials though. I don't think the finish on the horn is as nice looking as the soft touch on the Array Series, or as nice as the paint on the K2 or Everest II and the wood is the same processed Italian "Zebra Wood" as used on the K2 with the same satin finish that makes it look like formica. Obviously many folks don't seem to be sensitive to the look of the this "wood"... as a woodworker I dislike it. They use a similar wood on the Array, but with the high gloss finish, even though it is a processed "wood" a certain amount of depth still shows through. The Everest II has the same satin finish, but since they are using natural wood veneers, it looks very nice. Obviously this is all subjective and only my opinion, but I wish JBL offered the same finishes as the new Revel Performa line that starts at $1700 and goes up to $6500 and has a truly magnificent walnut or cherry option.

The long and the short of it is this. The S4700 is a product that was born and raised for the Japanese market. For the first time JBL is offering US Synthesis dealers one of these Japan oriented speakers. I guess there is a real cultural divide here. The 1400 Array does not sell in Japan, being an American, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this S4700. For years we have been crying for the Japan oriented JBLs... well here you go. Personally I'd rather have a pair of 1400 Arrays and the new $8K Mark Levinson CD/SACD/DAC... that piece is on my short list of soon to be coveted gear.

Widget

Mr. Widget
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I think I may be one of the few who actually like the looks of the Array. I like that they appear different than the norm. So does my wife. ;)As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd say you are lucky. Most people who see mine appreciate the excellent build quality and the sumptuous materials... but the styling?

The 1400 Array is very likely the best loudspeaker out there that is sub $15K and better than many that are significantly more expensive... but it's looks scare away most potential buyers. I am shocked JBL is still offering it, but I guess they can't make bad decisions 100% of the time.;)

Widget

4313B
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
For the first time JBL is offering US Synthesis dealers one of these Japan oriented speakers.Interesting post there Mr. Widget. Thanks!

I noticed on their website that they mention the LE175 with respect to this system as if the current compression driver is a derivative. And of course the LF is called a 2216...

tom1040
01-13-2012, 12:03 PM
As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd say you are lucky. Most people who see mine appreciate the excellent build quality and the sumptuous materials... but the styling?

The 1400 Array is very likely the best loudspeaker out there that is sub $15K and better than many that are significantly more expensive... but it's looks scare away most potential buyers. I am shocked JBL is still offering it, but I guess they can't make bad decisions 100% of the time.;)

Widget

To each his own, I suppose. Since you purchased yours, you musta' like it a little bit???? Regardless, if they are 'bringing' back the 1000 Array then someone thinks it is a worthwhile product. Perhaps I am wrong. No matter.

Valentin
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
did you hear the new Revels

so the finish on them is first class did you take any photos

the new M106 with its new price point seems to be a great great value

i will be in northrige on tuesday hope to see the new performa line in acction

Mr. Widget
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
To each his own, I suppose. Since you purchased yours, you musta' like it a little bit???? Regardless, if they are 'bringing' back the 1000 Array then someone thinks it is a worthwhile product. Perhaps I am wrong. No matter.Love the sound enough to live with the looks... and like I said, they are obviously well made and nicely finished, but I am not in love with the looks enough that time permitting, I hope to build a clone that I'd rather look at in my living room.

Widget

Mr. Widget
01-13-2012, 01:15 PM
did you hear the new Revels

so the finish on them is first class did you take any photos

the new M106 with its new price point seems to be a great great value

i will be in northrige on tuesday hope to see the new performa line in acctionIf I were like some members here, I'd even have pictures of the boxes stacked in the room next to the demo room. :blink: Sorry... no pictures.

The M106 is the M22 replacement. It was playing in the next room and the walls were shaking. I spent the time talking with Kevin Voecks instead of a less than ideal listening experience. I loved the M22, we have sold quite a few of them, based on my conversation with Kevin, the M106 will be much more of a good thing and at a lower price point. I am sure we'll sell a pile of them and I'll get to evaluate them in a number of rooms.

As for what you'll hear at Northridge... not sure. They really only have a pair of M106s and a pair of F208s operational so far. These speakers won't be available until the beginning of summer.

Widget

Titanium Dome
01-14-2012, 11:08 AM
If I were like some members here, I'd even have pictures of the boxes stacked in the room next to the demo room. :blink: Sorry... no pictures.

Widget

That would be so cool. :bouncy:

jpw
04-22-2012, 08:42 PM
We have all of the above in stock. At $20,000 pair US, the S4700 lands nicely between K2 and 1400 Array in both price and performance. It is markedly more dynamic with a less resonant quality to voices in the lower midrange and more linear bottom than the 1400 Array. It does not have the refined look or sound of the K2 though. It has a balanced sound overall, but a bit more forward in personality than the 1400 Array.

Duffinator
12-13-2015, 01:13 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious if the consensus is the 1400 Arrays sound better than the S4700 for music? I purchased some 800 Arrays and the center channel for my HT last year paired with a SVS SB13 Ultra sub and like what I hear. That has peaked my interest in the 1400's for my two channel setup. I see a pair of S4700's on ebay for what might be a reasonable price and ran across this thread in the process of checking on them. TIA for any input.

audiomagnate
12-16-2015, 06:15 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious if the consensus is the 1400 Arrays sound better than the S4700 for music? I purchased some 800 Arrays and the center channel for my HT last year paired with a SVS SB13 Ultra sub and like what I hear. That has peaked my interest in the 1400's for my two channel setup. I see a pair of S4700's on ebay for what might be a reasonable price and ran across this thread in the process of checking on them. TIA for any input.

I've heard them both and don't think it's even close. The 1400's sound much better to me.

Duffinator
12-16-2015, 07:18 PM
Thanks. Anyone else?

1audiohack
12-16-2015, 09:24 PM
I have had the 1400's for two or three years and have heard the 4700's several times but the spaces were so different it is nearly impossible for me to make a real judgement.

Here is what I think I know in a nut shell, the 1400 is smooth and the 4700 is live. The 4700 gets loud much faster but runs out of HF driver (gets harsh) about where the padded down (low efficiency) 1400 is just absorbing power and gone dynamically flat.

That's my two bits worth.

Barry.

DogBox
01-02-2021, 08:31 PM
More about the S4700 in English.

Widget
I understand this is an earlier thread but it saves me adding the pic of the 2 - PCB Crossover of the S4700.

Looking at those two inductors and the Technical Manual Schematic, they are listed as 0.2 mH and 0.5 mH. (??!!!) Can't see it myself.. I'm sure those

values should be closer to [guess] 2.2 and 3.5 mH respectively, to be as big as they are! (post #44 & #32)

As I would love to get some Parts and have a go at building a pair, I'd like to know what the true values would be...? :dont-know:

Kind Regards,
DogBox
[Steve]

Earl K
01-03-2021, 10:39 AM
I understand this is an earlier thread but it saves me adding the pic of the 2 - PCB Crossover of the S4700.

Looking at those two inductors and the Technical Manual Schematic, they are listed as 0.2 mH and 0.5 mH. (??!!!) Can't see it myself.. I'm sure those

values should be closer to [guess] 2.2 and 3.5 mH respectively, to be as big as they are! (post #44 & #32)

As I would love to get some Parts and have a go at building a pair, I'd like to know what the true values would be...? :dont-know:

Kind Regards,
DogBox
[Steve]

You're right the sizes of those 2 coils are clearly wrong ( for the LF section ) .
- ( iow; not 0.2mH + 0.5mH > even the capacitor sizes might be suspect ) .

You might want to track down some .frd + .zma files for the 2216nd woofer ( then play with coil values in a crossover simulator such as XSim ).

That'll help you nail down the coil values.

DogBox
01-03-2021, 02:33 PM
You might want to track down some .frd + .zma files for the 2216nd woofer ( then play with coil values in a crossover simulator such as XSim ).

That'll help you nail down the coil values.

Hey Thanks Earl!

Only one 'slight' problem I have there.. Where would I find those .frd & .zma files? I did download the wonderful spreadsheet from Techbot, [Generous guy!] and

found the best set of parameters you could ask for! But where you say to play with a crossover simulator - I never did get to learn enough about using them when

I should've so now programs like that still seem way above my head to work out. Never quite had the finances for some of those Leap, etc., programs; so stuck to

circuit diagrams after someone more clever than me had worked it out! My dream to actually make a crossover never materialised...:(

Appreciate Your help, though!

Kind Regards,
Steve