PDA

View Full Version : "Differential" amping some 4520s

Lee in Montreal
01-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Providing I am using a stereo amp per 4520 cabinet, with each channel of the amp powering a 2225h. The amps are fed by a digital active crossover.

Currently the signal goes into one side of the amp and is daisy chained to the other side. Therefore, the amp sees the same signal on both channels. Now, what I want to do is to have one driver working between 35Hz and, say 500Hz, while the other driver only does the bottom 35Hz-to- 80Hz with probably a 18db slope.

I have two choices. Either make a passive crossover just before one of the driver with a cut-off at 80Hz, or make a filter just before the amp on one of the channels.

What are your thoughts?

Eaulive
01-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Providing I am using a stereo amp per 4520 cabinet, with each channel of the amp powering a 2225h. The amps are fed by a digital active crossover.

Currently the signal goes into one side of the amp and is daisy chained to the other side. Therefore, the amp sees the same signal on both channels. Now, what I want to do is to have one driver working between 35Hz and, say 500Hz, while the other driver only does the bottom 35Hz-to- 80Hz with probably a 18db slope.

I have two choices. Either make a passive crossover just before one of the driver with a cut-off at 80Hz, or make a filter just before the amp on one of the channels.

What are your thoughts?

I would go with the second option, an active LPF on one side, just to avoid inserting a resistive and inductive load on one driver and end up with a difference between them and the way they are dampen.
Strange things may happen at the slope knee however...

Lee in Montreal
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I would go with the second option, an active LPF on one side, just to avoid inserting a resistive and inductive load on one driver and end up with a difference between them and the way they are dampen.
Strange things may happen at the slope knee however...

And a third option is to buy a second Behringer DCX 2496 and run 6 channels per side. 2 channels just for the 2225s ;-)