PDA

View Full Version : Denon 295

roscoe
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Hello Forum-- my first post. I have recently been very fortunate to discover Denon SLDC technology, Ultrasone HFI 680 headphones and if that wasn't enough, Beatles 2009 remasters. While my L19's sound real good w/ the SLDC there really is no comparison w/ the HFI's( these phones use something amazing called SLogic+). I am thinking then of upgrading to a more modern technology spkr that might even approach the hphones. Not necessarily a new spkr though as JBL L1's and L20t's have gotten my attention. The 2 on ebay now have both had some holes drilled in them( the L1's on the bottom and the L20t's on the back) for mounting purposes. I am wondering if this could be a prob. My speakers are placed about 4 1/2 ft away at about a 140 degree configuration and I listen at a very moderate volume. Any comments or comparisons of the speakers would be appreciated.

I am thinking of going to a different model Denon as well. I have the DRA 395 now but have developed an affection for the 295. The prob is that the 295 has no loudness/ bassboost function. Whether on the phones or speakers I have found this function nececarry about 85% of the time. The 395 has a button while earlier DRA's-- some of them w/ SLDC-- used a variable loudness knob. Is it poss to remedy this w/ a pre-amp of some sort?

MO on the Beatles 2009 Remasters-- it is remarkable( w/ a very few exceptions) what has been done w/ the 1st 3 Albums and V1 of Past Masters. Don't bother w/ the others.

roscoe
01-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I have also noticed that the JBL LX22 has the more modern Ti Tweeter as do the L1 and L20.

pathfindermwd
01-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Hello Forum-- my first post. I have recently been very fortunate to discover Denon SLDC technology, Ultrasone HFI 680 headphones and if that wasn't enough, Beatles 2009 remasters. While my L19's sound real good w/ the SLDC there really is no comparison w/ the HFI's( these phones use something amazing called SLogic+). I am thinking then of upgrading to a more modern technology spkr that might even approach the hphones. Not necessarily a new spkr though as JBL L1's and L20t's have gotten my attention. The 2 on ebay now have both had some holes drilled in them( the L1's on the bottom and the L20t's on the back) for mounting purposes. I am wondering if this could be a prob. My speakers are placed about 4 1/2 ft away at about a 140 degree configuration and I listen at a very moderate volume. Any comments or comparisons of the speakers would be appreciated.

I am thinking of going to a different model Denon as well. I have the DRA 395 now but have developed an affection for the 295. The prob is that the 295 has no loudness/ bassboost function. Whether on the phones or speakers I have found this function nececarry about 85% of the time. The 395 has a button while earlier DRA's-- some of them w/ SLDC-- used a variable loudness knob. Is it poss to remedy this w/ a pre-amp of some sort?
MO on the Beatles 2009 Remasters-- it is remarkable( w/ a very few exceptions) what has been done w/ the 1st 3 Albums and V1 of Past Masters. Don't bother w/ the others.

Hi Roscoe, Welcome to the forum! I have heard alot of good reviews about the L1 and L20t, as you probably know they both use the same tweeter, and are both highly regarded here. I wouldn't think the holes would present a problem to the sound, as long as you patch them well.

I have not listened to the Denon's so I cannot comment there, but I know what you are saying about the bass boost/loudness function. Usually higher quality amps/pre's do not employ a bass boost or loudness option, but have only basic tone controls. In my own experience lesser quality speakers need more help from EQ/boost while higher quality ones require much less. For example I have a (cheap) pair of JBL CF100's, and they sound terrible on my NAD 375BEE (a $1200 Integrated amp which is pre-amp and amp combined, just like a receiver), but they really rock on an old JVC receiver with alot of EQ options. But, my L100t(3)'s (a big brother to the L20T you are looking at) sound excellent on the NAD and don't sound better with heavy EQ, nor do they sound better on a cheaper amp as they are able to reveal the noise/harshness. For the L20t or L1 (or better) I can recommend the NAD brand as an good unit.

I have also noticed that the JBL LX22 has the more modern Ti Tweeter as do the L1 and L20.

The Tweeter seems to be respectable, it is pure titanium. The woofer is not mounted on a cast frame though, which makes it less desirable. I have seen them before, but not heard them. I would hold out for the better reviewed L20t or L1.

roscoe
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks very much for response. What would be your choice between the L1, L20t, L46 or G300? The last 2 do not have Ti Tweeter. I understand the L1 is a few yrs newer than the L20. Is this a good or bad thing?

It is still not clear to me whether adding a pre-amp to the Denon 295 would give me the bass that I assume is not there because of no loudness function. I find that I have to use the loudness function even w/ the Ultrasones.

All opinions are welcome.

pathfindermwd
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks very much for response. What would be your choice between the L1, L20t, L46 or G300? The last 2 do not have Ti Tweeter. I understand the L1 is a few yrs newer than the L20. Is this a good or bad thing?

It is still not clear to me whether adding a pre-amp to the Denon 295 would give me the bass that I assume is not there because of no loudness function. I find that I have to use the loudness function even w/ the Ultrasones.

All opinions are welcome.

Well for me the L20t would match well with what I already have. The T series had some brightness that was not appreciated by many, and I am not sure if it is true for the L20t or not. I have heard great reviews on the L1, and the parts are newer, so that should be a better value. BTW I wanted to mention that as a low cost alternative, there have also been good reviews on the Control 1 monitor.