PDA

View Full Version : anyone know these jbl speakers?????

altec_69
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I bought a pair of these jbl speakers but i do not know much about them like the model number and specs and what price do these sell for i hope i did not pay to much for them?? any help would be great.

Don C
01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Homemade cabinets.

Mr. Widget
01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Homemade cabinets. :yes:

A classic JBL S7R system in them. The bass will be restored by changing the surrounds or with DOT3.

Widget

DavidF
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
:yes:

A classic JBL S7R system in them. The bass will be restored by changing the surrounds or with DOT3.

Widget

Just to be clear on what is generally understood the DOT 3 treatement is applicable to the yellow Lansaloy surround, only. Yes?

Mr. Widget
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Just to be clear on what is generally understood the DOT 3 treatement is applicable to the yellow Lansaloy surround, only. Yes?Yes, the old Lans-a-loy material gets stiff and brittle over time. Any of these older woofers from the '60s were already stiff by the '70s and that is when JBL switched to the gray urethane foam that turns to dust instead. :eek:

If you own any older JBL woofer with the yellowish surround material do some searches and you'll find tips about using the DOT3 treatment as well as good arguments against using it. Regardless of whether or not you decide to use the brake fluid treatment, you must do something to get the proper compliance in the surround.

Widget

altec_69
01-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes, the old Lans-a-loy material gets stiff and brittle over time. Any of these older woofers from the '60s were already stiff by the '70s and that is when JBL switched to the gray urethane foam that turns to dust instead. :eek:

If you own any older JBL woofer with the yellowish surround material do some searches and you'll find tips about using the DOT3 treatment as well as good arguments against using it. Regardless of whether or not you decide to use the brake fluid treatment, you must do something to get the proper compliance in the surround.

Widget

What would these be worth in there present condition????

hjames
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
What would these be worth in their present condition??

:blink: Didn't see that coming ...hmm -

The S7R Monitor System consists of the LE15A Woofer, the PR15 Passive Radiator,
the LE85 Compression Driver + HL91 horn, and the LX5 Crossover.

Those parts are in old home made cabinets that look dusty -
can't tell from the few photos if they have been banged up a bit,
but they are large and awkward to ship cheaply -
the system is too old to be much of an audiophile's dream.

The LX5 crossover network is an older 2way design and the capacitors
will have aged and need replacement ...
Its got a deprecated woofer with hardened Lansalloy surround ...
and the tweeter is in unknown condition ...

couple hundred, maybe, if you can find the right buyer in your market.

Probably worth more to keep and enjoy than to sell -
its not an undiscovered pot of gold ...
but it could be a lot of fun to listen to !

altec_69
01-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I would have thought they would be worth alittle more then that?

hjames
01-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I would have thought they would be worth alittle more then that?

I dunno - I could be wrong, that has happened before.
You are free to try to sell them and see what happens in your area.

I live in the Wash, DC market and I've tried selling a couple pairs of speakers here recently -
some sold, some didn't. Audiophile sales here have been down for the last couple months ...
and the economy is kinda tough all over ...

This is old hifi gear without much high frequency extension,
(its an old 2 way system - the passive is not a real "driver")
and its in older home made cabinets, which are not high value to the larger market.

Like I said - if you find the right person that really WANTS something like this, maybe you can get more
but I don't know where in Canada you are or what your local audio market is like ...

The other question is - do you like the way they sound?
They could be a fun pair of speakers to keep.

Paul D
01-04-2012, 11:01 AM
If you're not going to keep them, parting them out would be the way to go. I would think the individual components should bring in some reasonable cash! Check on ebay and see what they are going for.

Mr. Widget
01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
What would these be worth in there present condition????As a complete system... not much. If you remove the components, you'll get $500-$1000 for the lot, sold as pairs of LE85s, LX5s etc.

Widget

louped garouv
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
i tend to agree with the above posters...
in whole, the parts are worth less than assembled, in all likelyhood...

(which is a shame, IMHO)

are you willing to share how much you have in them?
we'd be interested in knowing what the market bore in your area...

:)

Don C
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't see a notice stating that we give free appraisals to ebay flippers here. Maybe we should stop doing it.

Mr. Widget
01-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't see a notice stating that we give free appraisals to ebay flippers here. Maybe we should stop doing it.What's the harm?

Some months ago I was asked by someone to sell off his complete Meridian system. I had to go to a Meridian Forum to find out what I had and how best to sell it off... ultimately one of those forum members bout the lot from me and is piecing it out himself. Admittedly, because of my experience here I realized in advance there are those who don't appreciate "flipper's" questions so I stated up front what my intentions were.

Widget

altec_69
01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I sold my beloved altec 604-8g with original 620 cabinets the sounded to bright for me so i bought these speakers but yet to pick them up yet.. i wanted to know if $650 was too much for these speakers and if anyone here knows what they sound like and if i paid to much for these speakers i am not a ebay flipper and would never part them out:banghead::banghead:

louped garouv
01-04-2012, 12:33 PM
I sold my beloved altec 604-8g with original 620 cabinets the sounded to bright for me so i bought these speakers but yet to pick them up yet.. i wanted to know if $650 was too much for these speakers and if anyone here knows what they sound like and if i paid to much for these speakers i am not a ebay flipper and would never part them out:banghead::banghead:

for $650 and a bit of effort, you will have a classic system in your hands...
maybe not 'audiophile' by today's standards, but darn good sounding IMHO....

think of it this way, you likely would not have been able to purchase those components individually for the outlay you made... and you got a free, homemade cabinet to use while you evaluate the system.... you could re-design/update it if you wanted to, and members here would likely be willing to offer suggestions/their experiences along the way, if you ask....

a local record shop has a pair of Olympus cabinets with a S8 load (I think)...
I enjoy them when hanging out in that shop....

hjames
01-04-2012, 12:39 PM

A couple years ago I bought a pair of JBL 4320 Monitors - won them for $300 on ebay, but I had to drive from Virginia to near Philly to get them!
Much gas money and a snow storm to deal with!
They were kinda beat up 2 ways with a crossover, LE85 horn/lens/combo, and an LE15 woofer ...
Its a pro version very similar to your speakers, but mine had no matched passive.

I tweaked them for a couple years before I got nicer cabinets, added a JBL 2405 supertweeter and converted them to 3 ways ...
built a newer crossover for them, then later swapped the woofer for a newer one, upgraded to a walnut horn,
and after that upgraded to a 2 inch horn driver ... Lately I've swapped my Carver receiver out to run it with a tube amp ...

Over 4 years the speakers have evolved into the living room speakers I have today - they sound very nice -
but it was all done incrementally, on a budget.

I can't tell you what they sound like - but mine were a revelation that got me started on a path I didn't expect ...
and I've had a lot of fun in the process!
:bouncy:

Started Feb 2006 - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?9796-4320-Project/page5

Mr. Widget
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I wanted to know if $650 was too much for these speakers and if anyone here knows what they sound like and if i paid to much for these speakers i am not a ebay flipper and would never part them out:banghead::banghead:I think $650 is a fair price to both the buyer and seller. I'd recommend keeping an open mind on the parting out question. Since these are a DIY project to begin with why not continue in that tradition?

I'd sell off the passive radiators and the networks and use the proceeds to buy a pair of 2405s and crossover parts to build better sounding networks... we can help.

Back to my question about the woofer surrounds, you will need to address the surrounds before you do any serious listening, as they stand they will likely be very thin on the bottom end.

Widget

Mr. Widget
01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
A couple years ago...
:bouncy:Yeah, what she said. :)

Widget

audiomagnate
01-04-2012, 02:45 PM
So the one that needs DOT3 is active. I thought passive radiators were a more modern invention.

altec_69
01-05-2012, 06:22 AM
thank-you for everyones input