PDA

View Full Version : preamp recomendation again

brett_s
12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi group,

A few months ago, I inquired about used quality preamp recomendations for my XPL200a's. At the time, I was a bit overwhelmed with the response. I didn't have a clue about the market for preamps, and i was just starting to research it. Now that I've been watching the market, and figuring out what I want, I was hoping you could offer some recomendations based on a few criteria. I don't want this to turn into a flame war of X brand is better than Y brand, but i'm sure it will.....

Criteria:
1. $1000 absolute max. Preferably around $750, but i could stretch to $1000 if absolutely necessary. Of course, less is always better!
2. It has to have a remote. Not having a remote is a deal breaker.
3. Sonically a good match for the XPL200's
4. Having a home theater bypass or unity stage would be nice to allow volume control for an externally processed signal, but not absolutly necessary.
5. Robust and reliable design. I don't want a finicky unit that is prone to breakage.
6. I'd prefer one that was made in the last 20 years. This is not a deal breaker, it just ties into #6. Vintage electronics always are a concern to me.
7. I do not need a phono input.

I know absolutly nothing about tube or hybrid preamps. I'm open to them, I just don't know anything about them. Also, if there are new preamps out there that are equivalent, I'd love to hear about them. I doubt that a new unit is in the same ballpark as a used quality piece, but if it existis, let me know.

I've been looking at items such as Adcom GFP750, Krell KAV, Bryston BP25, PS Audio, Musical fidelity, Parasound P3.

I'd love to hear your recomendations and thoughts.

Brett

rusty jefferson
12-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Too bad you have to have a remote, cause here's a nice preamp that meets all the other criteria. Hybrid tube design. They don't come up often, and most folks don't know the brand. Those "Heart of Muse" capacitors are almost worth the price of admission. No affiliation, real nice preamp for the money.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1329352370&/Musical-Design-SP3C-1-

brett_s
12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
yep, the remote is an absolute must!

jbl_daddy
12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
On the cheap, I use a Sony TAE9000 in my office. The Sony has a 2 channel mode with all the built-in crossovers for a sub. Do your research first on the correct serial numbers before you purchase. Google the model number and you will find the correct series. They also have DTS processors for the theater decoding. The best part is they are cheap.

Ian Mackenzie
12-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Adcom GFP750

Several forum members use the Adcom with great feedback.

What power amp are you using?

SEAWOLF97
12-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I was sure that my next preamp had to have a remote ...bought a GTP-500mk2 ...great sounding unit, BUT the remote only does source selection and volume up/down ....now only very rarely use it (not even sure where it is :o:) , but still happy with the purchase.

the GTP variation is a preamp with built-in tuner.

Doug, the well respected repairer and gear reseller around Portland (Audio Specialties) , has his choice of just about anything ...and he uses an Adcom.

brett_s
12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Ian,

I am using a Parasound HCA-1500a amp. It may not be a glamorous selection, but it really does have a nice smooth sound with a tight bottom end. I've tried a bunch of different amps in this price range (and slightly above), and the parasound is the best I have found. I'm starting to believe to make the next "jump" I'm going to need to look at spending a few more dollars, and i'm not quiet ready for that. Especially when I think my preamp choice (AV receiver) may be holding me back.

Brett

Krunchy
12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Adcom GFP750

Several forum members use the Adcom with great feedback.

What power amp are you using?
Yep! :yes:

brett_s
01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Any one else have any input?

Ian Mackenzie
01-04-2012, 02:02 AM
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/eone3/prepower.html

The Bel Canto is a nice product. You may find one on the usual S/ H sites for a lot less

allen mueller
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I've been using a classe cp-35 and have been pleased with it. Before that it was a Bryston bp20 but I liked the classe more.

Al

rusty jefferson
01-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Any one else have any input?

Here's a pretty nice preamp with a remote. I have a good friend who owns one. It's at the top of your range, but I can't image getting better sound quality and a remote for the money.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1328880730&/rogue-audio-magnum-99-REDUCED