PDA

View Full Version : L300 Lpad cleaning method

vmax700
12-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Can anyone suggest if there is a good way to deoxit the lpads on a pair of L300's that does not require removing the foil cal and removing the lpad from the baffle. I have tried deoxit from the vent holes in the back of the adjustments but don't feel the deoxit ever made it to the area needing to be cleaned. Thanks for all suggestions

edgewound
12-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Can anyone suggest if there is a good way to deoxit the lpads on a pair of L300's that does not require removing the foil cal and removing the lpad from the baffle. I have tried deoxit from the vent holes in the back of the adjustments but don't feel the deoxit ever made it to the area needing to be cleaned. Thanks for all suggestions

You've pretty much covered all the bases without removing them.

You can get a 24" extension tube for the spray can and soak the L-pad good through the vents. Make sure you rotate the pots thoroughly until the crackling stops.

If the crackling continues, you'll have no choice but to replace them.

tesla
12-30-2011, 06:56 AM
You might get the safest results by removing all drivers from the cab, (If you cannot remove the pots) and then, as you say, soak the offending pots. Make sure that gravity pulls the cleaner down into the pot, and then, most importantly, rotate the pot from stop to stop for a while, at least a couple of mins per spray. However, be aware that in many cases, once a pot is noisy, there is no permanent cure as mentioned before. If you replace the pot(s) be aware that unless you get exact replacements, that you will need to specify "audio taper" not "linear taper"

Mannermusic
12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
You have to take it apart whether Deoxit or R&R. Many posts in the data base - about 4,623 as I recall. But, you have to use a brush, not spray if you want a first rate job - need to remove the rear cap, etc - read directions on Deoxit bottle. Worth the effort - easy does it with the hair dryer, a gradual process. It's no sin to take them to a pro shop, those are nice speakers.

Altec Best
01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
IMHO deoxit is only a temporary fix,it will become noisy again with time depending on level of dirt in the L-pad.Switches,L-pads,etc.are best replaced once they become too dirty as it will be impossible to clean them thoroughly without taking them apart.