PDA

View Full Version : Novice question about inductors, Does the insultion between windings ever fail?

wsilva
12-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I am curious if the wire insulation on inductors (enamel?) ever fails?

In looking at crossover photos, the coating looks very thin, and on some crossovers like the 250ti the factory tie wrapped several inductors leads into one bunch.

Considering the vibrations present inside a cabinet, it would seem over time a failure would be possible ??

250ti crossover photo shows example.

tesla
12-15-2011, 05:45 AM
considering the usage and application, I doubt you will ever see an inductor failure.

The wire was varnished at the factory, and usually has a dialectric strength several times over the expected voltage expected. Failures are always possible, but highly unlikely.

If you are still worried, you might have a friend with a meter with an inductance feature measure them, or, dc resistance if you can find it out.

I say, unless you see something wrong, you have very little to worry about.

Gene

badman
12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I say, unless you see something wrong, you have very little to worry about.

Gene

Yup.

edgewound
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Never say never.

Usually an inductor failure is from overheating, since it does create a magnetic field and heat builds up. Unless the inductor was under engineered for the application, chances are, it won't fail in the 250ti.

That said...If someone got into powering it with very high powered amps...or heavily clipped amps... and ran it very high, the inductors can fry and cause a short. If there's a will there's a way.

I see inductor failure frequently on speaker systems for DJ use or live sound.

Altec Best
12-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I am curious if the wire insulation on inductors (enamel?) ever fails?

Yes ! But very rarely ! In home gear.