PDA

View Full Version : 4331A Driver Identification

cjmustang69
12-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I recently purchased a pair of 4331A speakers which have been modified to 3 way (4333A) design. I would like to open the speakers up to verify exactly what drivers and x-overs are in the cabinets. I realize this is a basic question - but what is easiest way to access the drivers? Do I need to remove only the small panel (which I believe holds the back of midrange horn)? If yes, is there any precautions I need to take when I remove the panel.

grumpy
12-13-2011, 04:36 PM
pop the woofer... a flashlight and mirror might then help to see the back of the
slot tweeter (2405). Also, if there's a small rectangular (4x6"?) panel on the back...
it is there to access the rear of the midrange horn (2420?). Watch out for snakes... Just kidding.

cjmustang69
12-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank you for advice Grumpy. I do have the small panel on back as you mentioned for midrange. I plan to open them up this Friday - anxious to what I find (hopefully no snakes :) )

cjmustang69
12-16-2011, 07:01 AM
I pulled woofers this morning and snapped some photos of inside of speakers. I was happy to see woofers are proper model - I couldn't make out a model for tweeter. I plan to pull panel behind midrange later to see back of driver. I also found a sticker for "Thore Speaker Repair" - Greensboro, NC. I suspect they modified speakers to 3 way from original 2 way design.