PDA

View Full Version : Integrated amp for 4312A & cabinet question

Michael Weiss
12-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a pair of 4312A monitors and I need to replace my Onkyo A-803 amp. Does anybody have any suggestions in terms of brands, models, power, new or vintage, and things to avoid etc. in order to get the most out of these wonderful speakers. I'm a musician and my listening runs from all types of jazz to r&b, blues, reggae etc. Budget is definitely a factor!
Also, while I'm at it, these speakers are the black pebble texture vinyl cabinets with the large white JBL logo on the sides. Does anybody know if there is a walnut veneer under the vinyl that could be worth refinishing? I can't really tell. The serial numbers are 2630 and 2902. Thanks and looking forward to participating here.

Rusnzha
12-20-2011, 10:47 PM
A nice 70s reciever or amp with continuosly variable tone controls can sound great with these speakers. The last thing you want is something that has tone controls with 1 or 2 db increments. You can find used Luxmans for a decent price. I like the Yamaha CR-2020 or CR-2040. You might try looking at used Macs on Ebay. There are other good choices. Since the 4312 is fairly efficient, you could get by nicely with less than 50 watts/channel, but more power always sounds good.