PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Broke my LE14H-1 Frame

Punch
12-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Is this repairable or just garbage now? I just bought 2 back-up drivers for my 250Ti's. They were in separate storage boxes, and I was putting them in my overhead garage storage bin when my shoulder gave out. The driver, though padded well in the box, took a six foot drop to the ground. When I opened the box, here was the end result.Is there anybody that can repair a frame? Thanks.http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd37/nguisto22/mail.jpg

subwoof
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
The cone can be unglued from the frame ( can't save the foam though ) and the magnet can be unbolted and put on another frame BUT you have to find one first.....they are NOT that common...

BTW this is NOT a home DIY project and should only be done by an experienced service tech.

sub

Punch
12-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Ugh...I bought them in case something happened to one of my LE14H-1's and now something happened to one of my back ups. I guess in the rare event that one my 250's LE-14H-1 drivers needs a repair it will be because of the guts and not the frame. So there is basically no way to fix a frame...just have to replace it.

ReffuB
12-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Find a welder for aluminium, if he is good he can do it without any cosmetic damage.

JeffW
12-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Looks like you have a decent set of "guts" though. So if something happens to your 250ti, it'll most likely just need the guts.

richluvsound
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Find a welder for aluminium, if he is good he can do it without any cosmetic damage.

Nada ,

you wont weld that without a JIG .... the heat will distort the frame - not to mention the getting the correct alloy match for the filler rod .

Devcon make some amazing adhesives . I have used there their products on Stainless that has been at risk of heat distortion .
I glued two pieces of 12mm ST/ST plate and threw it around the workshop and it wouldn't fail .

You can call their tech department and get advice .

That would be my first solution and I trained as a welder !

Good luck , Rich

JeffW
12-09-2011, 06:25 PM
My first solution would be to find a junk basket if using a driver complete was an absolute priority. That thing ain't never coming back.

And yeah, you might glue the corner back on good enough that it won't fall off when you gently place it in a cabinet, but there comes a time when busted is just busted.

Punch
12-09-2011, 06:29 PM
I agree, I think I just need to find a "basketcase basket"....someone who has bad guts but a good frame. I will just have to keep my eyes peeled. Definitely not an emergency.

subwoof
12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
the 14A ( or 14C ) frame will work albeit with a different terminal setup and of course it would need to be painted. I Frankensteined a pair some years ago for some L220's.

There seems to be plenty on ebay when you don't need one though.

one issue about welding - the frame bent *first* then broke so there would have to be a bit of material removed to allow re-alignment. An overall PITA project.

I'll look in the graveyard and see if there are any 14 frames but don't hold your breath...:)

:cheers:

Punch
12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Subwoof hit it on the head...bent and then broke. Thanks Subwoof...keep your eyes peeled for a frame for me.

-Nick

Punch
12-10-2011, 06:56 AM
I thought things are not supposed to seems so bad the next morning....Well, not so. I am still really upset and disappointed :(

Allanvh5150
12-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Find a good "TIG" welder. Tis is a pretty simple fix. If it does not work out 100%, you have not lost much.

Allan.

JuniorJBL
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM
one issue about welding - the frame bent *first* then broke so there would have to be a bit of material removed to allow re-alignment. An overall PITA project
:cheers:

If you look at the pic you can see it is bent. More trouble than it is worth!!;) You have no doubt seen this before!

Find a good "TIG" welder. Tis is a pretty simple fix. If it does not work out 100%, you have not lost much.

Allan.

TIG is not all you are going to need. This is "Cast" aluminum, and yes it will shrink like a son of a gun!:(

BTW Punch this IS sad. Sorry for your loss.

Punch
12-10-2011, 03:51 PM
BTW Punch this IS sad. Sorry for your loss.[/QUOTE]

I know...thanks for understanding. In the JBL world, this is like breaking a Ming vase. I cannot believe it. I would appreciate it if anyone who has a frame or an LE14H-1 that is non-functional would consider selling it to me....or keep your eyes peeled for one. Again, not an emergency, but I feel like I need to make it right.

hjames
12-10-2011, 06:07 PM
BTW Punch this IS sad. Sorry for your loss.

I know...thanks for understanding. In the JBL world, this is like breaking a Ming vase. I cannot believe it. I would appreciate it if anyone who has a frame or an LE14H-1 that is non-functional would consider selling it to me....or keep your eyes peeled for one. Again, not an emergency, but I feel like I need to make it right.

I understand, darned shame about the speaker, but hey,
at least YOU didn't fall and crack a shoulder or break an arm or something in the process!

rdgrimes
12-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Could be worse, it coulda broke your toes too. :(

Punch
12-10-2011, 10:17 PM
I could get my toes fixed ;)

I know I know, it could always be worse, but I still feel horrible :banghead:

gdwrench
12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
The frame is compromised and will "never" be 100%... Sorry about the loss but it is just that. Gut it and recycle the carcas for a pack of stogies' :banghead:

tomt
12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
this might be what is needed

http://jbweld.net/index.php (http://jbweld.net/index.php)

rdgrimes
12-13-2011, 09:58 PM
In order to weld the thing you would have to remove the cone, then build a jig to bolt the basket to. Once repaired the face of the basket would have to be re-machined to be flat and true, (round). All in all WAY more trouble and expense than it's worth.

Allanvh5150
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Quite unbelievable that everyone wants to throw it im the bin. I have repaired disasters far worse than this and returned the item to as new condition. Maybe this is too difficult for the northern hemisphere to do, I am not sure. If you find a good metal guy, if he says no, you have lost nothing.

Allan.

JeffW
12-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Quite unbelievable that everyone wants to throw it im the bin. I have repaired disasters far worse than this and returned the item to as new condition. Maybe this is too difficult for the northern hemisphere to do, I am not sure. If you find a good metal guy, if he says no, you have lost nothing.

Allan.

In the northern hemisphere, we'd just buy a basket off eBay and save $150 over what it'd cost to cobble this piece of junk back together as a cobbled together piece of junk.

paragon
12-14-2011, 03:21 PM
If this will help. I had broken the frame of my LE 10A. It was fixed with a laser welding machine in the factory i worked three years ago. I doen`t know which material he used to fix it.

paragon
12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
If you don`t know, you don`t see any difference. I smoothed the welding bead with a stone.

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Allan.

Oh my ...you had been so good avoiding the wacky statements for some time now , then ...
what happened ??
an attempt to start a North - South flamewar ?? or just bored ? :dont-know:

these are not super rare drivers ...Punch is a very busy person , I feel his pain with the driver boo-boo , but be pragmatic ...remove the motor and cone and wait for a replacement basket ..it will happen ... and take care of the active ones and mebbe that backup will never be needed..;)

paragon
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I would fix it, paint it and put a new surround on both drivers. This will be the cheapest way, but off course you may look to another driver.

Allanvh5150
12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Oh my ...you had been so good avoiding the wacky statements for some time now , then ...
what happened ??
an attempt to start a North - South flamewar ?? or just bored ? :dont-know:

these are not super rare drivers ...Punch is a very busy person , I feel his pain with the driver boo-boo , but be pragmatic ...remove the motor and cone and wait for a replacement basket ..it will happen ... and take care of the active ones and mebbe that backup will never be needed..;)

It is not really a wacky statement as you say. It is an extremely well known fact that Kiwi's are quite ingenious and can pretty much repair anything back to how it was, for very little. Perhaps you could google it? My comment was a generalization, unlike yours.

:blink:

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2011, 08:03 PM
It is not really a wacky statement as you say. It is an extremely well known fact that Kiwi's are quite ingenious and can pretty much repair anything back to how it was, for very little. Perhaps you could google it? My comment was a generalization, unlike yours.

so he should send it to NZ for repair ??? :rotfl:

the last price that I could find on new LE14-3's was $279.93

assuming 20 pounds shipping weight makes $260 postage each way just to ship the
busted LE14-1 to NZ with no guarantee of repair.

I watched them do those repairs in Asia , they also rewound coils and made custom cones
Do they work ? Probably
Do I want that crap in my expensive speakers ?? no

JeffW
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM

Man, it can be fixed. If it was the only one in the world, or even slightly rare, it'd be a no brainer. If a guy had a TIG rig and a decent lathe in his garage, it'd be a no brainer. But for the average Joe, it's toast. For what it'd cost to get it welded and machined, unless you had a buddy that could hook you up, it'd be WAY more economical to just buy another driver or basket. It's not that people in this country (or hemisphere)aren't ingenious or industrious enough to fix a freakin' driver basket. Hell, I could also mine the Bauxite, smelt it, cast an ingot, machine it, and make a basket. Or I could hit eBay. Let me think about it. Yeah, I'm hitting eBay.

Speaking of industrious Kiwi's, here's a Wiki entry on a buddy of my from New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Simpson

I know him more from an RC aircraft standpoint, and have shipped him stuff before that was hard for him to get in NZ (I'm probably on some watchlist over that). Good guy and not near the nutter he's made out to be in the link. He posted a vid once of Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison) driving one of his pulse jet powered cars.

Jonis
12-15-2011, 05:32 AM
If you don`t know, you don`t see any difference. I smoothed the welding bead with a stone.

Hey Paragon. Nice job of keeping a frame/driver in service. Nothing resembling "cobbled" in my book.:D Great work! Your friend earned a beer or two for that.

JeffW
12-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey Paragon. Nice job of keeping a frame/driver in service. Nothing resembling "cobbled" in my book.:D Great work! Your friend earned a beer or two for that.

Yeah, and with a laser welder on virtually every street corner, no reason anybody couldn't fix their busted basket just as easily :D (isn't Germany in the northern hemisphere?)

4313B
12-15-2011, 10:55 AM
JBL has exactly two LE14H-1's left in stock and then they are gone forever. I suspect by now the foams are gone.
Part number is 988-1000-000 and the price is $303.99. 1-800-336-4525 option 1 option 4.

tarior
12-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Welding that with TIG would be easy. Once ground down and repainted, it would be difficult to tell where the repair was made. All of this business about it having to be machined perfectly is utter silliness. It ain't goin' on the space shuttle.

Punch
12-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies...still not sure what to do. If it was a clean break, it might be a candidate for a laser weld or another type, but it is bent as well.

Tom, I sent you an email, did you get it? Email me if you can or call so we can chat. I was unable to PM you. Nick

Punch
02-16-2012, 06:49 AM
So, what should I do with this? Sell it for scrap and dies anybody know a metal guy that fix it? I am thinking of just putting it on eBay...maybe someone can use it or salvage it.