PDA

View Full Version : JBL L 100 Century early version crossover questions

he day
12-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Today I received crossovers that I bought from ebay. These are crossovers (LX-12-10) for early version of JBL L-100 Century. As you can see in the attached pictures it is unusual design. The one of caps and two inductors are inside of "cardboard ring" with some sort of glue. Do anyone know what the purpose of this design? I was thinking to recap, but I might have to replace those inductors too for recap. Also do I need to do the same thing when I replace capacitors. I also noticed that the gauge of wires for caps and inductors are different. Are they any reasons for that too? Thank you, 539485394953950

hjames
12-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Looks like the beeswax they used to use to stabilize and
hide components in the older metal can crossovers.

probably melt it easy enough with a non-flame heat gun ... or powerful blow-dryer.

you shouldn't need to replace the inductors - they wouldn't change, just the caps age ...

he day
12-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your reply. That would save me some $$. Do you think I need to put back new cap in the beeswax pool for some reasons?

hjames
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for your reply. That would save me some $$. Do you think I need to put back new cap in the beeswax pool for some reasons?

I wouldn't think so - you could probably leave the chokes in there as is ...

Looks like 2 caps is all there is to worry about!

Schematic is here:

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/technicalsheet/L100%20CENTURY%20ts.pdf

grumpy
12-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Shoot... I'd just desolder the wire leads from the cap in the wax
where they attach to the terminal board and let the beeswax be (so to speak).
You could compare or return to original that way (and not damage the cardboard
bits used to make up the crossover).

Otherwise, I'd just build up a new masonite board with new
L-pads and all.

he day
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
OK I would just replace caps and leave others as they are. Thanks for your advice.