PDA

View Full Version : Spell Check

Rolf
12-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Hi. Has anybody else than me noticed that the spell check doesent work anymore??

Earl K
12-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Yep,

> I noticed that a couple of days ago along ( as well as a few other hiccups ).

:)

Rolf
12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Yep,

> I noticed that a couple of days ago along ( as well as a few other hiccups ).

Hey. Can't the moderators fix this? I believe I am "pretty good" in English, but sometimes "words" are not spelled correct. I hate that, and want the spell check.

hjames
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Not sure about it, but I suspect system config issues like this are a bit beyond what the mods have access to.
Either way, a bit of patience will probably do us just fine.

Hey. Can't the moderators fix this? I believe I am "pretty good" in English,
but sometimes "words" are not spelled correct. I hate that, and want the spell check.

BMWCCA
12-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I've never found any site-imbedded spell-check to work well. Why not just use a Firefox browser and enable spell-check in that? Seems to work quite well. On a Mac: Firefox >Preferences > Advanced > "Check my spelling as I type". :thmbsup:

Mr. Widget
12-05-2011, 10:41 PM
I've never found any site-imbedded spell-check to work well. Why not just use a Firefox browser and enable spell-check in that? Seems to work quite well. On a Mac: Firefox >Preferences > Advanced > "Check my spelling as I type". :thmbsup:Then there is using a Mac... my Mac's spell check works with almost all the software I use including vBulletin. Once again, more than just another pretty box... ;)

Sorry about the vBulletin's spell check not working. I've never used it. If it is something broken and is a problem for a number of members, perhaps we can have Don take a look at it.

Widget

Allanvh5150
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Ah yes, another reason to own a Mac or 3. :)

Rolf
12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I use IE9, and this has never been a problem until a couple of weeks ago. I like the IE browser, and see no pointin changing to Firefox or any other browser. So, the problem must be in the board program itself. The icon is still there (ABC with a green mark) but it's not working anymore. If I put the mouse pointer on it a small message on the lower left on the screen saying: Javascript:void ('Spell Check')

Rolf
12-07-2011, 10:22 AM
He He.:D I know. What I ment was that I have been using IE since W95 (I think) was introduced. Not the IE9. I think IE is getting better and better. I have seen FireFox in use on a friends LapTop and it is not to my liking. I do not use a LapTop, but a stationary PC. Why? Because I have never seen a LapTop with 2 10.000 rpm's hard drives in Raid, a storage disk. When my friend turn on his LapTop it takes "a long time" berfor it is ready. Compared to my system, mine has a "rocket speed".

P.S. I really hate "computer waiting". Turning on/off should be "swisssss". :D

"It has never been a problem until ..."
IE9 is a VERY NEW browser - so its not like you have been using it forever here ...
According to WIkipedia - "It was released to the public on March 14, 2011 at 21:00 PDT"

So either change browsers for a bit to have your own PERSONAL spell checker,
or learn to live without a spell checker for a while - you won't suffer too badly,
its really not a huge big deal.

I think it was mentioned that it may be a software problem on the board, I don't think that's in question ...
it probably happened somewhere around the time they fixed the hacker problem and did the software upgrade ...

The real fact is that the server Admins here have a real life outside this forum that they so very kindly manage do voluntarily ...
I'd imagine that its just not the highest priority item for them with the holidays coming so quickly ...

Be patient, live with it, use an external spell checker to get by, and relax!

Eaulive
12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Spail chek? we dont nedd no feaking spel checq! :D

Earl K
12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
> I find that ieSpell does work if it is activated ( called upon ) from within the browsers' drop-down menu called "Tools" or from within the "Tools" button ( I use IE8 ) on the navigation bar .

> ieSpell called from the little button ( top-right of this text editor ) does not work .

> Good Enough for now .

Eaulive
12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Honestly I never use any spell checker, neither in French English or Spanish, I proof read my texts at least twice however and if I'm unsure of something, I use another word :p:D

---edit---

Sometimes I edit after posting :p

herki the cat
12-07-2011, 04:03 PM
To use the integrated spell checker, you may need to install the freeware program: If you need it, this still works ....http://www.iespell.com/download.php (http://www.iespell.com/download.php).

Spell check was disabled a few days ago in the process of repairing a hacker intrusion, but it has returned fixed in partial steps from day to day. When I tried to down load the freeware program, my HP PC with IE-7 reported "the soft ware is still here," plus the usual HP instructions with the "What you can try agenda."

This is the option that seemed appropriat:, Quote = "If this is an HTTP secure address, Click tools, Click Internet options, Click Advanced, and check to be sure the..."SSL and TLS protocols"... are enabled in the security section. I had to enable 3 or 4 of these protocols to make the ieSpell button function temporarily at the bottom of the "tools" drop down menu coupled with "first" Clicking the green ieSpell button at the text editor. Now I can pull ieSpell up, only, with the ieSpell button in the "tools" menue.

Javascrip does need to be functional. herki[Quote/]

RBRANTLY
12-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi. Has anybody else than me noticed that the spell check doesent work anymore??

Hell i cant even figure out how to start a new thread or make a post ....much less check the spelling. Ive been reading this forum for years and just last night i decided to try to post some questions.??? Will someone throw me a bone?

BMWCCA
12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Hell i cant even figure out how to start a new thread or make a post ....much less check the spelling. Ive been reading this forum for years and just last night i decided to try to post some questions.??? Will someone throw me a bone?

To reply, click the button on the lower left within a thread that says "+ reply to thread", or within individual posts "reply with quote". Looks like you've figured that out already, though!

To start a new thread, first choose your specific forum in which to post from the main forum page. Then click on "+ post new thread" button at the top left.

Is that what you needed to know?

Rolf
12-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Honestly I never use any spell checker, neither in French English or Spanish, I proof read my texts at least twice however and if I'm unsure of something, I use another word :p:D

---edit---

Sometimes I edit after posting :p

I understand, but you language is English. I am from Norway, and I need the spellcheck. I hate to misspell. Guess I do it from time to time anyway. Sentence is not right, osv, but I guess most here understand what I am trying to say. (Not all the times):o:

yggdrasil
12-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Try to right-click inside the text area and select the sub-menu "Spell-check options" or whatever it says in your language. There you can set up spell-checking for your needs.

Johnny

Rolf
12-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Try to right-click inside the text area and select the sub-menu "Spell-check options" or whatever it says in your language. There you can set up spell-checking for your needs.

Johnny

Just did, and if works. Thanks Johnny.

louped garouv
12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
I understand, but you language is English. I am from Norway, and I need the spellcheck. I hate to misspell. Guess I do it from time to time anyway. Sentence is not right, osv, but I guess most here understand what I am trying to say. (Not all the times):o:

I would agree that most times the meaning is clear...

I would also like to add to to the thought by offering a small bit of praise to the people that have
taken on the challenge of understanding and being able to use a language that is not their native tounge...
it is no trivial undertaking.... :)

Rolf
12-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I would agree that most times the meaning is clear...

I would also like to add to to the thought by offering a small bit of praise to the people that have
taken on the challenge of understanding and being able to use a language that is not their native tounge...
it is no trivial undertaking.... :)

So you think my English is OK ... even whiteout the spell check?

louped garouv
12-19-2011, 04:11 PM
So you think my English is OK ... even whiteout the spell check?

your written English is generally much better than what many Americans
will encounter when dealing with young adults here in the States, at least in my experience...

IMO many young adults here use text messaging shorthand as their primary communication method,
which tends to spill into their normal, everyday writings....

which should probably be a little more formalized...

Rolf
12-19-2011, 04:27 PM
your written English is generally much better than what many Americans
will encounter when dealing with young adults here in the States, at least in my experience...

IMO many young adults here use text messaging shorthand as their primary communication method,
which tends to spill into their normal, everyday writings....

which should probably be a little more formalized...

Formalized ... What do you mean?

RBRANTLY
12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes it does....Thank YOu

louped garouv
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Formalized ... What do you mean?

I meant that in my opinion, young Americans need to remember that
there is a time for casual use of language, and there is time for more
"official" or "proper" English usage -- sometimes I notice even the local
news anchors do not even use proper English words when broadcasting...

they tend to make use of slang and other local, informal sayings (colloquialisms)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colloquial