PDA

View Full Version : Tubes and horns?

hjames
11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum - but here goes ...
I have those 3 way speakers - They started life as L200 cabinets and I loaded them -
first with Giskard's 3133 equiv crossover design,
a 2234 woofer, the 2105 slot supertweeter, and the 2445J mid driver on the walnut smith horn.

I'm not sure how to figure what the efficiency of this combination would be,
or if I could drive it to any reasonable level with a lower power tube design ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=53788&stc=1&d=1322082415

Kindly ignore the the other speakers - I'll be selling off the Maggies and the Dahlquist ...

Ideas, thoughts, comments?

Hey19
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I have those 3 way speakers - They started life as L200 cabinets and I loaded them -
a 2234 woofer, the 2105 slot supertweeter, and the 2445J mid driver on the walnut smith horn.

or if I could drive it to any reasonable level with a lower power tube design ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=53788&stc=1&d=1322082415

Kindly ignore the the other speakers - I'll be selling off the Maggies and the Dahlquist ...

You will lose tight bass, but gain sweeter mids and highs. I like the Dynaco products for price($400-500). Macs are nice, but you would pay over $1,500 for a comparable amp. You also need a good tube tech for the service.

Robh3606
11-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Hello Heather

Going passive or active the woofer is what determines what your system sensitivity is. Figure about 96dB using a 2234. So with 10 watts you could hit 106dB at 1 meter. In a room it works out to about a 3dB drop for doubling the distance so at 4 meters you would be at 100dB max.

Rob:)

hjames
11-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Hello Heather

Going passive or active the woofer is what determines what your system sensitivity is. Figure about 96dB using a 2234. So with 10 watts you could hit 106dB at 1 meter. In a room it works out to about a 3dB drop for doubling the distance so at 4 meters you would be at 100dB max.

Rob:)

Thanks Robh!
I figured it must pretty efficient compared to the other speakers I've been playing with,
it plays much louder than they do, but I wasn't sure what kind of numbers that translated to ...

Sounds like 6 or 7 watts would get it to reasonable loud - but not "stupid loud" ...
anything above that would be luxury league!

I'll keep an eye out, see what i can find!

Posted afterwards -
That system is currently run off a (SS) Carver receiver - way more power than it needs at ~125 or so w/ch
For sources we've got a Harman CD changer, MP3s coming from my computer via wifi and Airtunes,
and (hopefully) Emma's old AR-XB turntable that I'm looking into right now ...

doucanoe
11-27-2011, 07:19 AM
If you haven't ventured down this road in the past, I think you may be shocked to hear what a 8-15 watt tube amp will do with your speakers. Even more so if you have the opportunity to audition something like 3-8 watt SET. Although much is going to be dependent on what you like to listen to and listening level habits, a low power tube amp won't not run out of gas as fast as you may think. I became a believer when I first heard a 2A3 SET driving a pair of (Approx. 3 watt/ch 93-95 dB) Tannoy Ardens I used to own.

I don't know what you are running now for amplification but even in the case of high powered SS amps, your probably not even asking any more than 5-6 watts from them for what I would consider moderately high listening levels. There may be something to be said for having a lot of reserve power at the ready for large transients and what-not but I have found that to be not much of a factor, personally.

Like all things audio, giving it a go and being able to determine for yourself whether or not it works for you is all part of the fun and learning. Maybe find yourself a loaner from a audio shop or audio acquaintance in the area and see for yourself.

RC

roads31
11-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Heather,

Isn't nice to have problems such as your own?
Something to consider might be driving the low end with a SS amp such as a Crown DC150 which can be gotten for a song and a tube amp for your mids/highs. I've been rotating Crowns through my Metregon swapping out from my McIntosh 40's with excellent results. I'm not bi-amping, just have a Conrad Johnson tube pre-amp with a Crown power amp, nothing was lost by taking out the Mac's but low end was greatly improved at low volume.

Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy the journey,
Gary

more10
11-27-2011, 10:22 AM
A friend of mine is using 2x5 tube watts for his JBL 2441 horns, 2x10 tube watts for his 18sound 12" mids (going from 70 hz) and 3,5 kW for his 8x15" BR subs. It is a bit bass heavy but very fun. Friday night empty beercans where falling over and things where falling from the shelves.

Mr. Widget
11-27-2011, 12:50 PM
If you haven't ventured down this road in the past, I think you may be shocked to hear what a 8-15 watt tube amp will do with your speakers. Even more so if you have the opportunity to audition something like 3-8 watt SET. Although much is going to be dependent on what you like to listen to and listening level habits, a low power tube amp won't not run out of gas as fast as you may think. I became a believer when I first heard a 2A3 SET driving a pair of (Approx. 3 watt/ch 93-95 dB) Tannoy Ardens I used to own.

Sounds like 6 or 7 watts would get it to reasonable loud - but not "stupid loud" ...
anything above that would be luxury league!

I'll keep an eye out, see what i can find!I don't doubt that 6-7 watts will be loud enough for most listening... and if you find a good tube amp you may really love the sound. Keep in mind that a 6 or 7 watt tube amp will not control the bottom end of your speakers like a solid state amp will... some find this type of sound to be a "fuller" or "warmer" sound that they prefer, but to me many tube amps have a flabby bloated sound that I am not fond of on large JBL woofers.

As always if you can try before you buy, you'll be far ahead.

Widget

grumpy
11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat, but if going -solely- with a tube amp, I'd look at 30+ watts
perhaps a 6L6GC/5881 or 6550 based amp. These tetrodes seem to grab the bass
drivers reasonably well while compromises in the useful frequency extremes can
be balanced. Personally, I'd avoid old PA amps for this purpose, although I'm sure
there are exceptions.

If bi-amping, many of the compromises can be divided and topologies toyed with.

Either way, a suitable selection exists without spending (what i'd call) crazy money.

hjames
12-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Been doing reading on the tube tech - seems to be a lot of good words on the Miniwatt 3 or 4 tubes amps -
but ... it IS a chinese design and I'd rather not go there for tech. There are other options ...
the Dynaco ST70 seems to be popular and fairly available ... lots of mods available as well.
Dynaco ST-35 is also popular, but lower powered and somewhat rarer.

As always, any info is appreciated ...

jerry_rig
12-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Heather, If you plan to run full range with a tube power amp, then I agree that a good push-pull unit having at least 30 wpc would be best. Check out Audiogon and look for a Mac or Cary or ...

That said, I have been using an 80 wpc tube amp and find that it just can not control the bass all that well (but the highs are heaven!). So I bi-amp and run SS for the bass. The best of both worlds.

cosmos
12-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Heather, I agree with the suggestion of going with an active crossover and a SS amp on the woofers and tube amp on the mods and highs. There are many good amplifier choices.. I'd check out Manley, Decware, Rogue Audio and others. If you are just using the tube amp for the mids and highs, any amp you look at (1 watt per channel and above) will be enough power. Decware makes some very nice low watt SET amps.

Allanvh5150
12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
There are tube amps that will control bottom end, but you need a stack of power, the same as you do with solid state.

Allan.

Mr. Widget
12-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Heather, If you plan to run full range with a tube power amp, then I agree that a good push-pull unit having at least 30 wpc would be best. Check out Audiogon and look for a Mac or Cary or ...

That said, I have been using an 80 wpc tube amp and find that it just can not control the bass all that well (but the highs are heaven!). So I bi-amp and run SS for the bass. The best of both worlds.I haven't used all that many tube amps, but I have had both the MC30 and the MC240... 30 watt mono block and 40 watt stereo amp from McIntosh. Both amps are push pull designs with massive iron. Both amps were re-tubed and serviced and both had very nice mids and pretty good highs, but I was not happy with the bass on either amp.

That said, I have read numerous accounts of satisfied users of these amps.

Widget

speakerdave
12-05-2011, 01:25 AM
I have very little experience with single-ended tube amps, and that little bit was with a 45 watt 845 tube design, very expensive and used only for treble when I was there. So I really can't say much about that kind of amp.

I listened to all the Dynaco tube amps stock back in the day. The ST70 was good, and the ST35 is better, but I think not big enough for full range. But any Dynaco amp should be reworked these days, I think, because so much has been done developing worthwhile mods, and also doing away with obvious inadequacies in the original designs.

I use the Audio Research SP8 preamp and the VT60. These were both pretty sanely priced when I got them, but I think both have kind of caught on since then and the prices have gone up. I used the VT60 for my Altec 604's and 515b/288G/511E/EVT350, both natural matches, and at times with my 4333's full range and thought it was satisfactory. My idea in using tube electronics is that it is easier, I think, to find sound that is inoffensive in the treble with them than with solid state, that is, I'm not looking for the last word in transparency or palpable realism at this point, so my agenda may be different from yours. Audio research is a more 'modern' sound, and I think more balanced than some of the other things that have been mentioned. The VT60 is a push-pull 6550 amp. I use the current production tubes supplied by Audio Research without problems, but I have tried GE 6550s and NOS original Tung Sols and both are better. This amp is driving my TAD horns until I get around to having my MC30's tweeked. Even though I hear what people rave about with those amps, and I think they are worth the money when you get to that, I really don't have any problem with the vt60's on treble.

If used full range I would suggest you avoid choosing tube equipment whose sterling qualites are all in one range of frequencies, like the mids or highs. I have a zero negative feedback tube preamp which basically abandons tight bass for exquisite mids. I'm using it now, and I'm biamping with very good solid state control of the woofers, so no further problems are added at that point, but I frequently switch in the SP8 for a few months so I can enjoy all the music. I just don't think you can write off reasonably controlled bass. What I like about the Audio Research tube electronics is that it has the balance to be used full range.

Since you know electronics modifying a Dynaco might be a reasonable route for you. Almost all the new stuff is pretty expensive. If you are thinking new, you might consider Quicksilver which are somewhat more reasonable. I have not used them, but I believe our favorite speaker designer had them in his system at one time. Along the same vein (i.e., since you know electronics) you might consider the Pass Labs First Watt program and forget tubes.

Regards,

David

Allanvh5150
12-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Here is a fantastic amp. Will demolish most others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Simul-Class-2-90-Power-Amplifier-/280782549274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ff1b11a#ht_755wt_1082

Allan.

Allanvh5150
12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
and another

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Stereo-Simul-Class-295-Stereo-Tube-Power-Amp-/140656171265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bfc2d901#ht_500wt_1091

Hey19
12-05-2011, 06:20 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-ST-35-Stereo-Tube-Power-Amplifier-Clone-ST35-SCA35-/190607681832?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c611a6928

hjames
12-05-2011, 07:12 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-ST-35-Stereo-Tube-Power-Amplifier-Clone-ST35-SCA35-/190607681832?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c611a6928

I've actually been looking at the ST-70s instead of the ST-35 ...
Could you tell me why the St-35 is your recommendation?

Hey19
12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
I've actually been looking at the ST-70s instead of the ST-35 ...
Could you tell me why the St-35 is your recommendation?

This amp has 6BQ5/EL84 power tubes. They are sweet and cheaper than EL34's. Secondly whether ST35 or ST70, you have plenty of watts for the mid/tweeter. I still think, along with several others, that you get the most out out your speakers with a SS amp on the woofers. This particular amp has all new components other than the transformers. That will insure a better chance of dependable service. Good luck.

hjames
12-05-2011, 09:04 AM
This amp has 6BQ5/EL84 power tubes. They are sweet and cheaper than EL34's. Secondly whether ST35 or ST70, you have plenty of watts for the mid/tweeter. I still think, along with several others, that you get the most out out your speakers with a SS amp on the woofers. This particular amp has all new components other than the transformers. That will insure a better chance of dependable service. Good luck.

Well, I've already gone the biamp route on the 4341 4way monitors downstairs, with GFA-555 on the woofers there,
and I have a spare Ashly active crossover in reserve.

But I was hoping to try a tube system without all that extra active complication.

I've been looking at the Dynaco ST-70 and perhaps the ST-35 which is rumoured to be "a bit sweeter", if only half the power rating ...

svollmer
12-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I have a friend right up the street from you who owns a Rogue Audio Chronus Magnum. I can ask him if he and I can bring it over for a demo. It might not be what you're in the market for, but it would allow you to hear what a tube amp might sound like. I think it's 55wpc.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Audio-Cronus-Integrated-Amp_2

hjames
12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a friend right up the street from you who owns a Rogue Audio Chronus Magnum. I can ask him if he and I can bring it over for a demo. It might not be what you're in the market for, but it would allow you to hear what a tube amp might sound like. I think it's 55wpc.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Audio-Cronus-Integrated-Amp_2

ACKK! looks very nice but its out of my budget!

But sure, if he's game and willing to bring it over, we could set up a demo date!
I'd just need to know what config he'd need to do so!

And you know that room's a good space for music!

svollmer
12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
ACKK! looks very nice but its out of my budget!

But sure, if he's game and willing to bring it over, we could set up a demo date!
I'd just need to know what config he'd need to do so!

And you know that room's a good space for music!

Yes, it's a VERY nice space for listening to music. I'll ask him if he's game and let you know. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it would give you a taste of tubes in that power range.

Hey19
12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, I've already gone the biamp route on the 4341 4way monitors downstairs, with GFA-555 on the woofers there,
and I have a spare Ashly active crossover in reserve.

But I was hoping to try a tube system without all that extra active complication.

It is a bit of extra work to bi-amp. I would say the Dynaco ST70 would certainly be a better choice going solo and depending on the volume you play your music, it may be just fine. If you like voices and upper range instruments, you will be pleasantly pleased.

bean_counter
12-06-2011, 10:33 PM
I have 4331a based speakers (136a, 2420 on Edgar tractrix, 3131a xover, add-on rat shack supertweeter). I have tried vintage PP 6BQ5/EL84 and modern SE and PSE 300B with them, but the bass was pretty flabby with those particular amps. Sounded pretty good with more power - Dynaco ST70 (modded) and Dynaco Mk3's (also modded). SE 845's were just ok, but I don't think I liked those particular amps.

I run push pull 6B4G's (octal 6.3v 2A3), 15w or so, and the bass is nice and firm. Not SS firm, but good enough for me. BUT, I built the amps myself, with a really stiff LCLC power supply and fixed bias; not typical in a garden variety commercial amp. The 15w isn't really enough power, but I love the DHT, no feedback sound, so I compromise on the power. Stays coherent on 'big' music (orchestral, big band), just doesn't get stupid loud.

35-70 watts should do fine to start, try it and see how you like it. Might be able to go lower IF you get the right amp in the right room.

Krunchy
12-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi Heather!

Take a look at jolida, they make a great little tube reasonable priced, 20wpc, el84 type, easy to modify/tinker with from what I've read.I would also consider the 302B, el34 type tubes, great amp, scored one in the $400.00 range in good shape a while back, both very musical. Bass is more than adequate, I dont feel like I'm missing anything in that department, never as tight as ss but quite respectable.

I've had the 102 in the 100db range and it was begining to distort, not badly but you could perceive it, 90db-95db is a better range.
Based out of Maryland no less ;), our friend Mr. Clark turned me onto them.

Have fun! :)

hjames
12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi Heather!

Take a look at jolida, they make a great little tube reasonable priced, 20wpc, el84 type, easy to modify/tinker with from what I've read.I would also consider the 302B, el34 type tubes, great amp, scored one in the $400.00 range in good shape a while back, both very musical. Bass is more than adequate, I dont feel like I'm missing anything in that department, never as tight as ss but quite respectable.

I've had the 102 in the 100db range and it was begining to distort, not badly but you could perceive it, 90db-95db is a better range.
Based out of Maryland no less ;), our friend Mr. Clark turned me onto them.

Have fun! :)

Thanks Krunchy!
If you and my local friend Wilfredo says they are musical, I'll have a look at them ...

I keep seeing Dynaco ST-xxs going for crazy money, with no guarantee that they've been upgraded/restored correctly -
and those things have some real age on them ... something newer sounds like a plan!

A 302B for $400 sounds like a great deal - kudos on that!

Just looked Jolida up on the map - I thought they were Annapolis but it looks like they are just outside Friendship airport
(BWI) just a bit below Baltimore! VERY nearby for a visit!

Krunchy
12-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Just looked Jolida up on the map - I thought they were Annapolis but it looks like they are just outside Friendship airport
(BWI) just a bit below Baltimore! VERY nearby for a visit!

Yes! very highly advisable.
There is also the 502B which is a monster from what I've heard (power & size wise), these units do get dramatically larger from one model to another, where the 102 is just such a cool/(cute) little amp (it cranks), the 302 is "a good sized unit" definitely no longer in the "cute" category.

I think you'd have a lot of fun with tube amps, what with all the tinkering and potential tube rolling....... and they sound great! :)

Happy hunting!

JeffW
12-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I keep seeing Dynaco ST-xxs going for crazy money, with no guarantee that they've been upgraded/restored correctly -
and those things have some real age on them ... something newer sounds like a plan!

This upgraded ST-70 just sold for $425 + shipping

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=382207

hjames
12-07-2011, 06:42 PM
This upgraded ST-70 just sold for $425 + shipping

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=382207

That sounds like a good price - didn't see that one in the recent sales ...

JeffW
12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
That sounds like a good price - didn't see that one in the recent sales ...

It was listed in the "Subscriber Only" section and just sold so hasn't made it into the "Completed Deals" section.

It costs $25/yr to see the deals there, but that's the place for stuff like this. If something else nice comes up in a similar price range, I'll let you know, but I think I'd sure keep an open mind about the modern stuff mentioned. They say some of these upgraded vintage amps - with upgraded power supply and input circuits - are pretty sweet. The old school transformers are the parts that set the bar, then new circuits to make those perform. But they are still old.

I bought a pair of Dynaco MKIII monoblocks that have had the full upgrade treatment done, but haven't had a chance to hook them up yet. I'll see how a 60 W/Ch tube stacks up against a 60 W/Ch class A MOSFET.

Hey19
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
It has the Mullard power tubes that Dynaco chose for most of their amps.http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAKIT-STEREO-35-ST-35-DYNACO-POWER-AMP-100-RESTORED-SOUNDS-EXCELLENT-/130611043360?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e69065c20

Hey19
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
These MK VI's are the most powerful tube amps Dynaco made. It's rare to see them offered for sale. Very few are out there. Bass would not be an issue with these.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-MK-VI-Tube-Amplifiers-/180765475797?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a167643d5

yggdrasil
12-08-2011, 01:09 AM
A while ago I did service on a modified Dynaco ST-70 for a friend of mine.

After we got it up and running again there was time for a listening session and IMO it plays way better than it has any right to do. A while into the listening session it was time to try some tube switching. The owner had some different tubes for the input stage that he would like a second opinion on... With these new tubes the amp sounded totally different than with the old tubes, so when you think you know what tubes sound like, or a tube amp sounds like, you can change it into a completely different thing by just switching tubes. And, yes this was the same spec tubes.

Having built some SS stuff this tube design leaves me with the impression of under-dimensioning and volatility. This is due to the ridiculously small power supply and the impression that tubes break when exposed to any kind of physical shock.

Conclusion: My friend loves his amp. While I can hear some of the reason why, I couldn't live with it. I would recommend you try it out for yourself, since with e.g. an old Dynaco you get (most of) your money back if you later decide to go another way.

Krunchy
12-08-2011, 06:53 AM
After we got it up and running again there was time for a listening session and IMO it plays way better than it has any right to do. A while into the listening session it was time to try some tube switching. The owner had some different tubes for the input stage that he would like a second opinion on... With these new tubes the amp sounded totally different than with the old tubes, so when you think you know what tubes sound like, or a tube amp sounds like, you can change it into a completely different thing by just switching tubes. And, yes this was the same spec tubes.

Conclusion: My friend loves his amp. While I can hear some of the reason why, I couldn't live with it. I would recommend you try it out for yourself, since with e.g. an old Dynaco you get (most of) your money back if you later decide to go another way.

Very true, a lot of the newer units come with electro harmonix tubes which while ok, they're not great either. There are certainly better tubes to be found and at various different price points. As for being able to live with it, I suppose it depends on the make/model & the listener and one's expectations.

HYBRIDS!

If you dont want all tube you could consider a hybrid, definitely an interesting combination.
Jolida makes the JD1501RC, a very nice unit (100wpc) with a full robust sound, comes with (2) - 12AX7's, mine came with electro harmonix & when I switched them out with some better tubes the unit sounded totaly different, bright, clean & tight. These I've seen regularly at $400.00 +- which I think is a very good deal for this particular piece, plus they come with remote control.

hjames
12-08-2011, 07:03 AM
HYBRIDS!

If you dont want all tube you could consider a hybrid, definitely an interesting combination.
Jolida makes the JD1501RC, a very nice unit (100wpc) with a full robust sound, comes with (2) - 12AX7's, mine came with electro harmonix & when I switched them out with some better tubes the unit sounded totaly different, bright, clean & tight. These I've seen regularly at $400.00 +- which I think is a very good deal for this particular piece, plus they come with remote control.

That's a great price point!! Fits my budget well ...
(if you see any again at that kind of price, please PM me !!)

Still waiting to hear back from JoLida in MD ...

Krunchy
12-08-2011, 08:04 AM
That's a great price point!! Fits my budget well ...(if you see any again at that kind of price, please PM me !!)Still waiting to hear back from JoLida in MD ...

Will do!
It would be nice if you could audiotion them first, which I think you should be able to one way or another, even if its at a dealer's showroom.When you do just bear in mind the electro harmonix factor (really dislike them, Hmmm, thats interesting), the sound can be improved quite a bit with other tubes.You have some good options in that price range regardless of which brand you go with. :)

INTERESTING THREAD...
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12955-EL84-Variant

svollmer
12-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Still waiting to hear back from JoLida in MD ...

Road trip? :applaud:

And, my friend who lives near you said he would be happy to bring his integrated Rogue over for you to try out. I know you're not necessarily looking at those, but just let me know if you'd like that arranged.

Hey19
12-08-2011, 06:49 PM
If you are running a power amp vs. integrated amp, you could get a Dynaco PAS3 tube preamp. That would also improve your sound in a tube-like way. The 12ax7 preamp tube is very sweet and they smooth out the SS amp while keeping the wattage. You can find them for $300 or less. I have done this with my Model 19's and the Dynaco ST400. The sound is superb.

hjames
12-08-2011, 07:06 PM
If you are running a power amp vs. integrated amp, you could get a Dynaco PAS3 tube preamp. That would also improve your sound in a tube-like way. The 12ax7 preamp tube is very sweet and they smooth out the SS amp while keeping the wattage. You can find them for $300 or less. I have done this with my Model 19's and the Dynaco ST400. The sound is superb.

Okay - thought I had said this earlier, but here goes.

Current system in that room is as follows:
Carver Model 6250 Receiver (roughly 150w/ch)
Harman Kardon FL8380 Changer (CD and HDCD)
Apple Airport Express for Airtunes from my macPro

JBL L-200 cabinet custom 3ways w/3133 equiv crossover
drivers - 2234woof/2445 Mids on walnut horn, 2405 slot.

The speakers are fairly efficient - so it doesn't need much power -
the Carver is almost overkill, just like the Yamaha CR-2040 I had before ...

As Steve Vollmer said - its a good sounding room -

Hey19
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Okay - thought I had said this earlier, but here goes.

Current system in that room is as follows:
Carver Model 6250 Receiver (roughly 150w/ch)
Harman Kardon FL8380 Changer (CD and HDCD)
Apple Airport Express for Airtunes from my macPro

JBL L-200 cabinet custom 3ways w/3133 equiv crossover
drivers - 2234woof/2445 Mids on walnut horn, 2405 slot.

The speakers are fairly efficient - so it doesn't need much power -
the Carver is almost overkill, just like the Yamaha CR-2040 I had before ...

As Steve Vollmer said - its a good sounding room -

It's the SCA-35. It usually sells for less than the ST-35. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-SCA-35-Tube-Amplifier-EXCELLENT-condition-/190611905612?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c615adc4c

hjames
12-09-2011, 03:53 AM
It's the SCA-35. It usually sells for less than the ST-35. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-SCA-35-Tube-Amplifier-EXCELLENT-condition-/190611905612?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c615adc4c

I can find Dynacos at ebay pretty well, but if it doesn't say "rebuilt/restored" or something like that,
its just old gear that needs rebuilding before use ...
In addition, there's a neat old Stromberg Carlson for sale, a pretty brass-faced EICO,
and a number of other sharp looking amps out there ... but I haven't fully decided if I want to go the old amp route yet ...
(I know not all of those have Dynaco transformers ....)

And I still have not gotten a call back from JoLida -
who I thought I could drop by their showroom for a listen -
they're only about an hour away, in MD ....

svollmer
12-09-2011, 05:16 AM
And I still have not gotten a call back from JoLida -
who I thought I could drop by their showroom for a listen -
they're only about an hour away, in MD ....

I looked up Jolida to see where they are. Lo and behold, their address is the same as United Home Audio. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/

They're the group who had the open-reel tape demos at the Capital Audiofest. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/capital_audiofest__2011.htm

hjames
12-09-2011, 06:47 AM
I looked up Jolida to see where they are. Lo and behold, their address is the same as United Home Audio. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/

They're the group who had the open-reel tape demos at the Capital Audiofest.
http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/capital_audiofest__2011.htm (http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/capital_audiofest__2011.htm)

Woah - they had that high-end MBL gear ...

the JoLida China site said the US partner of the firm had died ...
just before the legal battles started. Here is what THEY say:

http://jolida.net/about_us.htm

OUR SHAREHOLDER
The first shareholders were Chattery Inc.
(the U.S. Holding Company of Mr. Jingguo Chen), and Mr Hong Huang,
the now-deceased former Chairman of Jolida Inc.,
of Maryland. Each man originally controlled an equal 50% of the company.
Jolida Inc, as a company, never had a share of our company. Moreover, since
May of 1997, the only shareholder of our company has been Chattery Inc.,
which is incorporated in the U.S.A. as a business with active concerns in
both China and the U.S. Mr Chen, the head of Chattery, has very significant
financial assets and can guarantee the Shenda-Jolida factory and its U.S.
customers a secure and long term viability.
Address :

CHATTERY International Inc. (mail box address)
11918 Foal lane
POTOMAC, MD 20878, USA

(I fixed the address from the website - had local area Potomac listed as MA -instead of MD)

Krunchy
12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
the JoLida China site said the US partner of the firm had died ...
just before the legal battles started.

Well that figures!

Heather I just got of the phone with the dealer up here in NY and he tells me the company is runing same as always. Sounds like business as usual from what he told me. They are a small company so most likely you will not hear back from them but you might try finding a dealer in your area where you can audiotion the gear.
All their new units are now remote control (for better or for worse), the 102B retails at $775.00 & the 302B @ $1,275.00, these have really gone up quite a bit.
The hybrid goes for $781.00. Have not seen anything on the net this week, a bit of a dry spell perhaps, like everything else it will pass.

:)

hjames
12-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Actually, I did get an email back from them that I could drop by for a visit if I give a call first ...

Seems fair enough.

Wilfredo has offered to let me borrow his 102B for a spell -
see what it does for my "L200 32ways"

Maybe get some fun listening time in during the holidays ...

I'm seeing lots of integrated tube amps out there lately ... some new, and some very old!

But all in all, trying to keep the great tube adventure under $500, for now.

The Dahlquists didn't sell Saturday (guy never showed & never called)
but when I did the Subwoofer shuffle on the downstairs system
(swapped out my B-380 for Dhar's 4641) i wound up with a pair of klipsh KG-2s in the process!!
Clean 2-way speakers with a rear facing passive driver ... nice enough, but no need for them
so the living room continues to fill up with - stuff to sell to fund the tube adventure!

Well that figures!

Heather I just got of the phone with the dealer up here in NY and he tells me the company is runing same as always. Sounds like business as usual from what he told me. They are a small company so most likely you will not hear back from them but you might try finding a dealer in your area where you can audiotion the gear.
All their new units are now remote control (for better or for worse), the 102B retails at $775.00 & the 302B @ $1,275.00, these have really gone up quite a bit.
The hybrid goes for $781.00. Have not seen anything on the net this week, a bit of a dry spell perhaps, like everything else it will pass.

:)

Krunchy
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Actually, I did get an email back from them that I could drop by for a visit if I give a call first ...

Seems fair enough.

Wilfredo has offered to let me borrow his 102B for a spell -
see what it does for my "L200 32ways"

Maybe get some fun listening time in during the holidays ...

I'm seeing lots of integrated tube amps out there lately ... some new, and some very old!

But all in all, trying to keep the great tube adventure under $500, for now.

The Dahlquists didn't sell Saturday (guy never showed & never called)
but when I did the Subwoofer shuffle on the downstairs system
(swapped out my B-380 for Dhar's 4641) i wound up with a pair of klipsh KG-2s in the process!!
Clean 2-way speakers with a rear facing passive driver ... nice enough, but no need for them
so the living room continues to fill up with - stuff to sell to fund the tube adventure!

Sounds good! nothing like auditioning gear in your own environment to really get a sense wether its to your liking.
The 102 is fun so you should be in good shape, let me know what type of power tubes (el84) it has, I could send you a set of 4 to try out if you are interested, the unit would need to be biased but thats simple enough, thats probably geting a little ahead of ourselves though.

I think you should be able to keep this little adventure under 500, thats not unreasonable.
Good luck with the sales, its always nice to lighten the load every now & then.

Do keep us posted, curious to see how you like the particular sound :)

Jim Hodgson
12-13-2011, 02:56 PM

We missed out on a great opportunity, here ... I was just down in the DC area (Bethesda, MD) over the weekend with my 45-based SET power amp hoping to hear it with 2397 diffraction horns(!!!) :banghead: What a shame ... would have been a win-win, right?

Anyway, I second what doucanoe said ... and can offer my own first-hand experience. My 1-1/2 wpc is enough to power a pair of ~99dB Altecs in a 22' x 18' x 17' (cathedral ceiling) room *so long as* a preamp with decent gain is in front of it. Even better if my variable gain phono preamp is in front of both. It's really the amount of gain before the power amp that makes all the difference in my system.

I wouldn't just assume that you need as much power as an ST-35 or -70 has to offer. (Although I admit that you may not want to drop down into flea-power territory.) We might all disagree on ultimate sound quality, but I doubt anyone would find sheer SPL in my system lacking. I know, I know ... hard to believe so little power could satisfy like it does.

hjames
12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow - what a missed opportunity - a shame all around!
Next time you're headed this way, send a PM ahead of time and we can get the Mid-atlantic Listening party gang together!
On the Amp config - worst case scenario, I've got a currently unused Carver C1 preamp - its readily at hand and I could use that
to feed a tube power amp ... Not too fancy but its pretty clean ... I don't play "Stupid Loud" but having some volume in reserve is nice!

And the main listening room does have a cathedral ceiling!

We missed out on a great opportunity, here ... I was just down in the DC area (Bethesda, MD) over the weekend with my 45-based SET power amp hoping to hear it with 2397 diffraction horns(!!!) :banghead: What a shame ... would have been a win-win, right? Anyway, I second what doucanoe said ... and can offer my own first-hand experience. My 1-1/2 wpc is enough to power a pair of ~99dB Altecs in a 22' x 18' x 17' (cathedral ceiling) room *so long as* a preamp with decent gain is in front of it. Even better if my variable gain phono preamp is in front of both. It's really the amount of gain before the power amp that makes all the difference in my system. I wouldn't just assume that you need as much power as an ST-35 or -70 has to offer. (Although I admit that you may not want to drop down into flea-power territory.) We might all disagree on ultimate sound quality, but I doubt anyone would find sheer SPL in my system lacking. I know, I know ... hard to believe so little power could satisfy like it does.

hjames
12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
The amp I bought off AK arrived yesterday ... its based on a Stromberg Carlson ASR-433 "integrated amp"
(originally a console pull, I believe), but rebuilt on a new chassis as an standalone amp with input level controls.
New caps, new film resistors, fully refreshened. Tubes are a pair of 12AX7 with quad (EL84) 6BQ5 outputs.

I slipped a small Beech board under it as isolation between it and the Carver preamp directly underneath.

Although its capable of direct-connect with a cd player OR other high level input,
I'm using a Carver C-1 as preamp & input selector for the usual sources:
Airtunes (via Airport Express), AR-XB and the HK CD changer tho so far all I've played was the HK ...

So far I've just hooked it up and played a bit of Van Morrison and AJA last night -
but seems to have quite a bit of bass and a lot of headroom with the L200 3ways.

Baking cookies in the kitchen now while iTunes is working through 10 hours of Klezmer of various flavours ...
from traditional to eXtreme radical klezmer! yahootie!!

(...cause really, how much Christmas carols can you stand at this point???)

More fun and info over the holidays -

Fort Knox
12-24-2011, 07:02 AM

Ideas, thoughts, comments?[/QUOTE]

You need a bass horn to restore balanced efficiency w/2441
it should have approx. 600 sq in mouth and throat depth same as your 2441/horn
It should be a direct radiator .............only problem ..its
going to be big...otherwise I'd retire that horn....Its like a white elephant..

hjames
12-24-2011, 07:43 AM
I've watched you pop into various threads all over the site with critical posts -
but Merry Christmas to you anyway!

If wishes were fishes ... so while it'd probably be nice to have a bass horn,
its a 2234 woofer in a ported cabinet, so that part of the system is pretty efficient as it is.
I've played the system over the last week or so with 2 different EL84/6bq5 type tube amps -
not a ton of power from them, but we've had plenty of good sound filling our listening space.

And the ultimate test is how it sounds ...

Even with the solid state Carver receiver before this, since I've been enjoying this combo for the last year or so,
and a number of folks who come by & listen comment on the quality of sound,
its not as dire as your comment would imply.

Its always easy to snipe from afar ...

got Johnny Mathis Christmas vinyl playing nicely right now ... sounds sweet to us.

Enjoy.

You need a bass horn to restore balanced efficiency w/2441
it should have approx. 600 sq in mouth and throat depth same as your 2441/horn
It should be a direct radiator .............only problem ..its
going to be big...otherwise I'd retire that horn....Its like a white elephant..

doucanoe
12-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Nice looking Stromberg amp there Heather! I've heard a couple of these 433's and thought they were pretty special. You really can't go wrong with a 6BQ5 but these sound particularly nice and I love the layout re-design.

RC

hjames
12-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Nice looking Stromberg amp there Heather! I've heard a couple of these 433's and thought they were pretty special. You really can't go wrong with a 6BQ5 but these sound particularly nice and I love the layout re-design.

RC

Thanks - Mark at AK did a very well thought and artful design on the rebuild ...

Fort Knox
12-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Its always easy to snipe from afar ...

got Johnny Mathis Christmas vinyl playing nicely right now ... sounds sweet to us.

Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Hey! the guy in Aberdeen named Stuart ..by chance?

hjames
12-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey! the guy in Aberdeen named Stuart ..by chance?

yep - the last pair of cabinets came from Blazer, empty.

That system started as a pair of 4320 monitors from near Philly -
moved into the L200 cabs later (better SAF) - grew and evolved,
built new crossovers, external horns, then larger mid drivers -
then into a nicer pair of L200 cabs more recently ...
The whole story is in this thread ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?15317-Looky-What-I-just-got-Those-Darned-L200-Cabs-(from-Aberdeen)

Krunchy
12-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks - Mark at AK did a very well thought and artful design on the rebuild ...

Congratulations Heather! looks like a nice little unit, what's the juice on that puppy? Those tubes will keep you warm this winter :D

Enjoy!

hjames
12-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Congratulations Heather! looks like a nice little unit, what's the juice on that puppy?
Those tubes will keep you warm this winter :D

Enjoy!

Thanks - its interesting what those glow-bulbs can do!
Don't know power output exactly - its a quad 6BQ5 config ...
so I'd guess its in the 15-20w/ch range - kinda standard for that config, isn't it?

The sound is good - almost bass heavy ... kind of a slight murkiness in the upper mids ...
but I'm guessing its a new build and may not be fully cooked in ...

Its got Philco 12AX7 tubes at the bottom, & apparently GE output tubes ...
Had plenty of power for the Klipsch KG2s I was playing with for a while (now gone).
& its got tons of power for the JBLs ... plenty of headroom with them!

So far I've played some vinyl (Emma's old Christmas albums)
some lossless files from airtunes, and various CDs -
been busy with other things so haven't had tooo much dedicated listening time just yet.

I put the DQ-10 system away for a bit ... just to make some room.
Gotta scoot - last minute wrapping to do!

Krunchy
12-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks - its interesting what those glow-bulbs :D can do!
Don't know power output exactly - its a quad 6BQ5 config ...
so I'd guess its in the 15-20w/ch range - kinda standard for that config, isn't it?(that sounds about right, probably closer to the 20w/ch)

The sound is good - almost bass heavy (thats interesting, but not surprising, never understood why tubes have been atributed as lacking in that department, from my limited experience? ) ... kind of a slight murkiness in the upper mids ...
but I'm guessing its a new build and may not be fully cooked in ...

Its got Philco 12AX7 tubes at the bottom, & apparently GE output tubes ...
Had plenty of power for the Klipsch KG2s I was playing with for a while (now gone).
& its got tons of power for the JBLs ... plenty of headroom with them! :D

So far I've played some vinyl (Emma's old Christmas albums)
some lossless files from airtunes, and various CDs -
been busy with other things so haven't had tooo much dedicated listening time just yet.

I put the DQ-10 system away for a bit ... just to make some room.
Gotta scoot - last minute wrapping to do!

Yes! :applaud:

shaansloan
12-27-2011, 10:51 AM

54188 Hey Heather those are some really sweet tubes! I think you made a great choice of amps. I really like the tone on those 6BQ5's. That unit must put out 12-16 watts or so which is plenty for a 6BQ5 amp....looks like a fair amount of iron there also so it probably has really smooth bass response(not so flabby)..... I think the more you listen, the more you will like.

I have been goofing around with tubes for the last year or so. I have ben customizing these little Magnavox 6BQ5 SE(4-5 watts) and 6V6 PP(8-10 watts) amps that come out of the old Maggie consoles... I really dig the sound on these with my Altec Carmels and 605A's(in 4ft cabs).... with my vintage Jazz, Classical or vocal stuff they really sound fabulous.

I also ran across a Dynaco ST-70 with original Mullard tubes at an estate sale... man this thing sounds real nice. The sound stage is more complete than the little 4 watt Maggies, and there is plenty of power for bass response. It is comparable to my McIntosh MC240. The Dynaco sounds best with the 605A's. I have yet to try these with my JBL's. I am considering moving my 4333a's into this room for a few days and try them out with each of these different amps.

Here is a couple of pics of a few of the little Magnavox amps I have done. I buy these off EBay for about $125 and then replace the signal caps, and any bad/out of spec resistors, add a power switch, fuse, indicator light, and a few cosmetics(complete with a vintage Magnavox logo) and were cookin..... scuse the dust please...

hjames
02-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Had some issues with the tube amp so it went back to builder for tweaks (and a refund - he's a very nice guy to deal with!).

In the meantime, DC listening party buddy Wilfredo has loaned me his JoLida JS 101 integrated amp for a while, so we've really been enjoying that.
It sounds very nice except for 1 small flaw ... not quite enough power.
Its not his fault - the amp is rated 15w/channel - but it would be nice to have a bit more headroom.
And any real significant headroom means a major jump in numbers .. not to 30 watts but more like 60 watts. In tube gear that's quite pricey.

Of course, I have the Carver 6250 receiver (speced at 125 or so w/ch) .
And I recently swapped out that HK changer for my older (non-BRay) Oppo DV-981HD - read an article on how to force it to stereo mode for SACD and such,
and its a great no-cost upgrade to that system.

So - I'd heard about tube buffers, thought it might be an interesting concept. Keep my higher powered receiver
but gain the tube effect to "smooth" some of the digital signals I use so much. (CDs and iTunes-Apple Lossless/Airtunes)
I'd read about the Grant Fidelity gear over at AudioKarma recently, so when I saw one of the B-283 buffers in the local CL,
I thought it would at least be worth a listen.

Guy brought it over this morning and I dropped it in the tape loop of the Carver ...
its definitely a pleasant affect on the sound stream.

I've got some kind of flu bug right now, but Emma agreed it was a good improvement, so we bought it.

Apparently its one of the first versions of this device later once have an aluminum billet faceplate -
this is polished plexiglass backlit with the iconic blue LED.

pathfindermwd
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
So - I'd heard about tube buffers, thought it might be n interesting concept. Keep my higher powered receiver
but gain the tube effect to "smooth" some of the digital signals I use so much. (CDs and iTunes-Apple Lossless/Airtunes)
I'd read about the Grant Fidelity gear over at AudioKarma recently, so when I saw one of the B-283 buffers in the local CL,

Guy brought it over this morning and I dropped it in the tape loop of the Carver ...definitely a please affect on the sound stream.

Hi Heather,

I just got the Grant Fidelity 283-B too, mine is a slightly different model. I was perusing Grant's page yesterday at AudioKarma and saw your post. Glad to see that you tried it and liked it! I was pretty floored with the sound of it. Like you said it's just so pleasing. I too like that I can keep the power of the amp while getting the tube sound. It has however made me wonder what a tube amp and or pre-amp would be like so I am looking to explore finding that out. What are your impressions of it compared to your JoLida tube amp?

Krunchy
02-05-2012, 01:54 PM
So - I'd heard about tube buffers, thought it might be an interesting concept. Keep my higher powered receiver

Guy brought it over this morning and I dropped it in the tape loop of the Carver ...
its definitely a pleasant affect on the sound stream.

That seems like a nice alternative :) Looks like a cool little unit.

What are your impressions of it compared to your JoLida tube amp?

I'd be interested in that as well.

hjames
02-05-2012, 02:25 PM
This is apparently part of the very first run of these processors, later versions had a billet block front panel,
and they now have an additional MkII model that uses 6SN7 tubes instead of the smaller 6J1 tubes of the earlier model.

However - I'm still suffering through the head cold/flu bug that kept me home from work Friday ...
The seller actually brought it to us for the demo - so we tried it with my L200 based 3 ways and the Carver 6250 receiver.
I thought I heard an improvement, but wasn't sure with my head cold
- Emma listened and confirmed an improved sound yesterday, so we decided to buy it - though it is a subtle change.

Anyway ... I'm still pretty stuffed up, tho it does seems to be easing finally ...

I'll have to give better specifics once my head and ears clear - hopefully by Tuesday.

Krunchy
02-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Anyway ... I'm still pretty stuffed up, tho it does seems to be easing finally ...

I'll have to give better specifics once my head and ears clear - hopefully by Tuesday.

Okily Dokily!
Gotta say, that was a very nice gesture for the seller to bring it over for a demo, cant beat that.

Feel Better!

hjames
02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Okily Dokily!
Gotta say, that was a very nice gesture for the seller to bring it over for a demo, cant beat that.

Feel Better!

Thanks - def trying to blow this flu out!
had it a couple days - Bored now!

Anyway, this is twice now folks have offered to do that.
The time first was actually the seller of the Carver 6250 Receiver - maybe 2 1/2 years ago
He and his wife came by and chatted a bit as we set it all up and gave a listen.

I know I try and feel folks out a bit before I give them directions to our place when I am selling something -
keep the glock out of sight but at hand
I'm sure some of them feel the same about us buyers of old gear (grin) ...
:blink:

grumpy
02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
the old glock and spiel scenario, eh? ;):duck:

hjames
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
There goes the well known gun ... yep!

As Mr Wizzard said - don't trust those goo-goo-googley eyes ...
I figure you are responsible for your own privacy & security,

Krunchy
02-05-2012, 05:10 PM

And there I thought you were referring to her cold & some tissues (hacking & the forthcoming "shpiel"), I'm too naive :o:

You're right Heather, "one never knows, do one?" (what was that from, some '70s commercial I think).

pathfindermwd
02-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Correction it is the 283-B, I had it backwards. The name is the same, but the unit looks a bit different. I read the difference between the new and old model somewhere; can't remember.

The sound difference is both subtle and obvious all at the same time. It's a little hard to explain. But what it does for my system is tame and smooth the sometimes shrill T3. Vocals don't scream at you now, they sing. The bass seems to be a little fuller, not that it needed improvement. The music sounds wider, and more enveloping, more musical. I am considering their MKII model. As far as tubes go, this stuff is inexpensive! The 240ti's don't work with it as well, they sound a little lisp-y, in comparison, but then; I'm always a little critical of them.:dont-know:

Krunchy
02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Thats an elegant little unit pathfindermwd :)

hjames
02-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Correction it is the 283-B, I had it backwards. The name is the same, but the unit looks a bit different. I read the difference between the new and old model somewhere; can't remember.

The sound difference is both subtle and obvious all at the same time. It's a little hard to explain. But what it does for my system is tame and smooth the sometimes shrill T3. Vocals don't scream at you now, they sing. The bass seems to be a little fuller, not that it needed improvement. The music sounds wider, and more enveloping, more musical. I am considering their MKII model. As far as tubes go, this stuff is inexpensive! The 240ti's don't work with it as well, they sound a little lisp-y, in comparison, but then; I'm always a little critical of them.:dont-know:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=54713

Well, once all the stuffiness is out of my ears and head I'm hoping it will be more obvious ...

So yours is -B but yours has the little cage around the tubes and uses the 6J1 tubes like mine does ...
so it will take the optional 6AK5W (like Patel put in the one I bought) ...

I found a pair of RCA 6SN7GTAs in of my old tube "junk box" & had them ready to go,
but when mine got here I found those are for the MK II units
(didn't know there was a difference before I saw it).

But I'm still thinking about buying that loaner JoLida I had on the system -
it did sound very nice ...

Hey19
02-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Well, once all the stuffiness is out of my ears and head I'm hoping it will be more obvious ...

So yours is -B but yours has the little cage around the tubes and uses the 6J1 tubes like mine does ...
so it will take the optional 6AK5W (like Patel put in the one I bought) ...

I found a pair of RCA 6SN7GTAs in of my old tube "junk box" & had them ready to go,
but when mine got here I found those are for the MK II units
(didn't know there was a difference before I saw it).

But I'm still thinking about buying that loaner JoLida I had on the system -
it did sound very nice ...

Heather, this thread is a testament to that saying.A couple of things to consider. The quality of the iron(power/output trannies) and the tubes. Dynacos were considered excellent.Certain tubes sound best in certain amps. Dynaco went almost exclusively with Mullard during their early to mid lifetime and buyers pay a bit more for those amps installed with original working Mullards. Mullard made a 12ax7,12au7,EL34,EL84.KT66/88 and many others. Even within the Mullard family there were different constructions of tubes such as short and long plates, round and square getters, codes like mC1's, F91/92's,K61's, XF1/2/3/4 etc. Those made at the Blackburn, England plant are coveted.Telefunken has it's smooth and ribbed plates. U.S. tubes like TungSol, RCA and GE all had high quality tubes in certain 'make/models' that are highly sought after as well.All had a unique sound signature that makes tube 'rolling' a common audio activity. There is a different world out there concerning this hobby. I buy and sell tubes to people all over the world who are looking for a certain sound. Enjoy the trip.

hjames
02-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Well, I got the refund for the Stromberg C amp yesterday and, after discussion with Emma,
we both agree the Jolida SJ-101 has the most enjoyable sound we've heard with the L200 3 way system.

So I've agreed to buy it from Wilfredo (local audio listening buddy) and put it in place.
I haven't found much online about that amp - its an early Jolida model, apparently, but there isn't much.
I pulled the tube cage last night and had a look at the existing tubes.

2x 12AT7 Electro Harmonix (made in Russia)
4x EL84 Electro Harmonix (made in Russia)

They may be the original tubes it came with ... I have a quad set of replacement output tubes I can try later,
but I'll have to see what's possible with that first pair of tubes ...

Krunchy
02-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, I got the refund for the Stromberg C amp yesterday and, after discussion with Emma,
we both agree the Jolida SJ-101 has the most enjoyable sound we've heard with the L200 3 way system.

2x 12AT7 Electro Harmonix (made in Russia)
4x EL84 Electro Harmonix (made in Russia)

They may be the original tubes it came with ... I have a quad set of replacement output tubes I can try later,
but I'll have to see what's possible with that first pair of tubes ...

Pull out all the electro harmonix, you'll be in for a very pleasantly surprise, especially if you like the sound you are getting from it now.
The sound will only improve :yes:.

hjames
02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Pull out all the electro harmonix, you'll be in for a very pleasantly surprise, especially if you like the sound you are getting from it now.
The sound will only improve :yes:.

Got any tips on 12AT7s to look for?
The Jan Phillips 6U8A input tubes I put in the Stromberg were better than the ones it came with and were reasonably priced (TubeDepot)

Edit 16:30 - I just put an order for a pair of (tested) JAN Philips NOS-12AT7WC from TubeDepot for $25 shipped
I'm not going to drop $150+ each for glow-in-the-dark cryo-treated Jamaican Black Mullard NOSE tubes ...

With the Russian 6P14EB (EL84) tubes a music friend sent earlier, I can now swap some fresh tubes in the Jolida and let them age in ... once I get the manual and specs on setting the Bias ... can't wait for the weekend!

Mr. Widget
02-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Oh dear god... tube rolling. HJ, we may never get you back. :D

I have a friend who swaps tubes almost hourly... it is certainly interesting and can make positive and negative changes, but it can also distract you from enjoying the system.

Widget

hjames
02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Oh dear god... tube rolling. HJ, we may never get you back. :D

I have a friend who swaps tubes almost hourly... it is certainly interesting and can make positive and negative changes,
but it can also distract you from enjoying the system.

Widget

Nope - I have an old box of tubes I found that have probably been stashed for 25+ years ...
took a quick peek inside and closed them up again.

I really do like to set the system up and then just sit back and LISTEN ...
that is the reason for all the up front work!

In the downstairs system (4341s) I set the EQ once and then forgot it -
its basically used to bump the low end up for movies -
so I do try to remember to TURN IT OFF for music, and turn it on for movies and TV ...
(the 4641 adds a LOT to shows like House!)

But thanks for the grin and the concern ;)

Krunchy
02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I have a friend who swaps tubes almost hourly... it is certainly interesting and can make positive and negative changes, but it can also distract you from enjoying the system. Widget
Thats funny, there may be some other underlying issues at play there ;) As long as one stays focused on enjoying the system as you mention, tube rolling is not addictive, or at least not highly addictive. :D

Got any tips on 12AT7s to look for? The Jan Phillips 6U8A input tubes I put in the Stromberg were better than the ones it came with and were reasonably priced (TubeDepot)

There is probably a bit of a stigma about tube rolling, similar to the audiophile one, I changed tubes once & never looked back, done, sounds good leave it alone (at least in that regard). The usual suspects should be fine, sylvania, mullard, tungsram, telefunken, rca, ge phillips, mazda all make good tubes (ther are others of course), they're not that expensive either (unless you want them to be). I've bought used tubes with low mileage & they sound fine.

JeffW
02-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I've got several 12AT7 tubes if you wanna try some different ones, Heather. My amps use the 12AX7 and 12AU7, so these 12AT7s are just surplus.

hjames
02-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Bit of dancing has transpired ..

I had thought I'd wait for a higher powered amp,
but my friend Wilfredo offered me a killer deal on the JoLida that I'd had loaner use of since Christmas.
It DID sound very nice, so I snapped it up.

I made a comment on AK on Monday that I'd be selling the Grant Fidelity Tube Buffer & got 4 offers -
and today I got money via Paypal, so it went postal & on the way after work today.
It was pleasant - but the JoLida amp sounds so much better.

I bought a Carver TX-2 tuner that matches the Carver C-1 preamp.
I sold the Technics tuner and shipped it out late this afternoon also.
Now I'm waiting for the TX-2 to arrive for the occasional radio usage ...

Haven't had much time for listening since I put the Jolida back in place Saturday for good ...
hopefully I'll find some time over the coming Holiday weekend!

Its really become an enjoyable system ...

'Spose I need to sell all that Dahlquist stuff, too!
Top picture shows the Jolida amp with the cage removed - this is one of the first generation apparently ...
And yes, I have not rolled tubes yet (!!)
But now I have the manual and the Fluke is nearby ...!

pathfindermwd
02-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Thats an elegant little unit pathfindermwd :)

Thanks Krunchy!

Bit of dancing has transpired ..

It was pleasant - but the JoLida amp sounds so much better.

Thanks for the heads up Heather! I'll be looking for a tube amp now... I think they would go really well with my bi-amp-able L100S's and the Adcom 555 for the bass.

hjames
03-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Got my tax refund a couple weeks back. Salted most of it to saving, but decided the tubes have been such a pleasant upgrade,
I thought I'd jump from a 20w/ch amp to a 40w/ch amp ...picked it up today in MD - the Jolida JD202Brc (remote control).
Mike says give the tubes 200+ hours to break in - so I'll leave it on for the next 10 days or so before we do any real critical listening - but so far ... wow!

A pair of 12AX7 and a pair of 12AT7 tubes, those feed quad EL34 output section.

pathfindermwd
03-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Got my tax refund a couple weeks back. Salted most of it to saving, but decided the tubes have been such a pleasant upgrade,
I thought I'd jump from a 20w/ch amp to a 40w/ch amp ...picked it up today in MD - the Jolida JD202Brc (remote control).
Mike says give the tubes 200+ hours to break in - so I'll leave it on for the next 10 days or so before we do any real critical listening - but so far ... wow!

A pair of 12AX7 and a pair of 12AT7 tubes, those feed quad EL34 output section.

"Wow" sounds pretty great! Hope you will let us all know more of your impressions when they get broke in. :)

hjames
03-10-2012, 07:51 PM
"Wow" sounds pretty great! Hope you will let us all know more of your impressions when they get broke in. :)

Will do - still cookin'!

felixx
03-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Mine:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115586837612433686520/MyMonoblocs#

http://picasaweb.google.com/115586837612433686520

Krunchy
03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Looks sweet Heather, is that a headphone jack I see on the unit? Ooh that could be a lot of fun. :)

hjames
03-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Looks sweet Heather, is that a headphone jack I see on the unit? Ooh that could be a lot of fun. :) Actually, its an Aux input - like for an iPod or something similar. But - the tubes have broken in fine. It came with all Russian tubes - 2x TungSol 12AX7s, pair of 12AT7 and quad EL34 - the later 6 ElectroHarmonix. I did some tube rolling already - swapped in the Jan Philips 12AT7s I got for the other Jolida, then swapped a pair of Jan GE (NOS) 12AX7s ... so only the output quad is the Russian EH tubes now. This week I have been playing it through a pair of DCM TF600s I brought home Monday - somewhere near the Magnepans and Dahlquists - yet different. Transmission line speakers. Very nice with acoustic music, hammer dulcimer, Gary Burton & James Taylor - that John Zorn Alhambra Love songs is quite nice! They're not quite as nice with Led Zep or classic Crimson ... Eargle on Everest & the Telarc 1812 digital canons suffer - I'll just have to play bombastic stuff like that on the biAmp monitors downstairs.

(They came with black painted Oak caps which I sanded down and restained with Watco Danish oil - Cherry)

Krunchy
03-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Seems like you are on your way Heather, its a good thing you have a couple of different sets of speakers to accomodate different types of music. It'll be interesting to see how this amp sounds with JBL's. YOu did a nice job on the DCM's, they look very nice. :)

hjames
03-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Seems like you are on your way Heather, its a good thing you have a couple of different sets of speakers to accomodate different types of music. It'll be interesting to see how this amp sounds with JBL's. YOu did a nice job on the DCM's, they look very nice. :)

Well - we thought it sounded nice on the JBLs -
but then we heard things we haven't heard before with the DCMs ...
it resolved some lyrics on the 1st Diana Krall CD, for instance ...

So yesterday I rolled the JBLs into the storeroom and pulled out the Dahlquists ...
tho I don't have the DQ sub connected right now.

Something's got to go and I'm guessing its the Dahlquist DQ10s!

I was kind of hoping to hook the DQs up so I could post them in CL ...
but Emma hears a fiddle in some Mark Knofler that we don't hear as clearly in the DCMs !!
Crazy stuff ... my guess is the crossover points in the Monitors they were mixed in is different than ours (!)

amazing stuff ... and all I want to do is listen to the music ...!
he he he

Krunchy
03-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Well - we thought it sounded nice on the JBLs -
but then we heard things we haven't heard before with the DCMs ...

Something's got to go :D and I'm guessing its the Dahlquist DQ10s!

I was kind of hoping to hook the DQs up so I could post them in CL ...
but Emma hears a fiddle in some Mark Knofler that we don't hear as clearly in the DCMs !!
Crazy stuff ... my guess is the crossover points in the Monitors they were mixed in is different than ours (!)

amazing stuff ... and all I want to do is listen to the music ...!
he he he

Fun predicaments. I'm kind of in the same boat now that I'm moving to the basement, my goal is to whittle the "stuff" down to two good systems & start getting rid of gear as well.
Glad to hear that you guys are having a good time, now if only we all had a little more time to just listen to our music :D ;)

hjames
08-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Went through a major evolution with the downstairs system swapping out the DCM Timeframes for 2pairs of vandersteen 2 series.
And now the upstairs system has evolved again. I found a guy selling off a pair of B&K Pro5 preamp and ST-202Plus (200w/ch) Poweramp.

The power amp went downstairs and replaced the Adcom GFA-555 amp that ran the front mains (currently vandersteens 2CEs),
it sounds nice and warm on the downstairs system - a very nice upgrade there.

Last night I put the preamp on the upstairs system with the Jolida tube amp and JBL L200(plus) speakers.
It replaces the Carver C-1 preamp I got from Wornears a couple years ago (the carver is already spoken for!).

The Pro 5 was recapped with all Silmic caps by the previous owner and has a neat Direct/bypass mode that bypasses all preamp gain stages so it becomes a passive switcher. Obviously, this won't work with a turntable,
for that I can drop back to normal mode, but for all other sources its quite nice.

It sounds very clean and is another nice upgrade - tho I only had a small amount of time to audition it last night
so I can't wait for the weekend for some extended listening.

hjames
09-08-2012, 04:30 PM
'Nother upgrade to the L200 based 3 way system.
Ran into a guy with a Jolida 502 BRC amp that wanted to get rid of it.

Its just 2 years old and plays great, but - he had just got something new and something old had to go.
Isn't that the truth!
Anyway, this amp has the same heavy aluminum remote control for Mute and vol,
take the same 4 preamp tubes that my 202 does (pair of 12AX7 & pair of 12AT7s)
but has a quad of 6550 tubes and bigger transformers to power them. Heavy - over 40 lbs!

We just got back from a trip down south past Fredericksburg VA and brought it back.
Very much like my Jolida 202 BRC - but instead of 40w/ch w85 peaks this is rated 60w/ch RMS w/peaks past 115watts ...
Sure sounds like a lot more - it'll hit stupid loud without a lot of trouble - even with the B&K Pro5 preamp in passive mode ...

Just an amazing upgrade - tried some Knopfler, Norah Jones, Malcolm Mclaren (Fan), Art of Noise (Claude DeBussy) ...
even Who's Next. Really dug Ox's bass playing - nice and full through the 2234s in the "L200s".
Boz's Dig sounds like a sub is in the room, but no ...
Much better, tighter bass - really a worthwhile improvement for slightly less than I originally paid for the 202 BRC2 amp!

hjames
09-09-2012, 06:14 PM
The obligatory night time tube amp shot ...
Pretty 6550 power tubes at night.

hjames
10-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Emma and I had a listening session a few weeks back -
on a whim I bypass the B&K preamp and just ran all the sources (except vinyl)
directly into the Jolida 502 integrated amp.
Great results - took the overkill bass right out and
brought a better level of clarity to everything.

What can I say - it just sounds better!

'Nother upgrade to the L200 based 3 way system.
Ran into a guy with a Jolida 502 BRC amp that wanted to get rid of it.

Its just 2 years old and plays great, but - he had just got something new and something old had to go.
Isn't that the truth!
Anyway, this amp has the same heavy aluminum remote control for Mute and vol,
take the same 4 preamp tubes that my 202 does (pair of 12AX7 & pair of 12AT7s)
but has a quad of 6550 tubes and bigger transformers to power them. Heavy - over 40 lbs!

hjames
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Current config - redid the ministack and pulled the preamp ...

Jolida JD 502 BRC
Carver TX-2 tuner
Oppo DV-981HD
off on the side -
Airport Express - a $99 wallwart that lets me feed music (mostly Apple Lossless) from my macPro upstairs via Wifi

hjames
12-31-2012, 06:20 PM
funny how little things can somehow change your whole perspective.

I've been reading threads about external DACs and while it sounded interesting,
there are extremely heated arguments about them, and some serious brand loyalties.

In this system, the weak point is probably that $99 Apple Airport Express Wifi adapter.
Some threads said a great improvement can be made pulling optical out of the Airport adapter
and feeding that to an external DAC.

I'm hardheaded and cheap - but I read about a $20 DAC available through Amazon.
Yeah, I can hear the chuckles - go ahead Rolf - why even bother - there is no audio magic in a $20 gadget ...

I'm here to tell you - its the best $20 I ever spent!

This goofy little block has brought out separation, detail and clarity I didn't know I was lacking!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PWPUW6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC

I was running a simple mini-phone connector to L & R RCA Phono connector cable out of the Airport -
so I pulled it out, and connected a TOSlink cable to that connector (apple has an Optical feed hidden in many of their mini-jack ports).
SO its just an optical cable from there into this little DAC - and a good pair of interconnects feed that to the Jolida integrated amp.
WOW! Eyes wide open and we have not been drinking or ... anything!

That said, I'll probably look for a better DAC with an optical in and see what a better one can do -
but if this little gadget can make that kind of a change ... whew!

BMWCCA
12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
That said, I'll probably look for a better DAC with an optical in and see what a better one can do -
but if this little gadget can make that kind of a change ... whew!I had a similar epiphany with the loaned V-DAC out of my Sony DVD changer's optical coax after a disappointing failed upgrade to an upper-end Denon universal disc player. I had read that the best sound quality usually was in the coax connections. That was just before I got the little eBay DAC from China that Seawolf recommended. I've not compared the two but they've each improved the quality of what is input into them. The TV is connected through optical to the Muse mini-DAC.

I, too, am considering a new DAC. Still interested in the Emotiva XDA-2 which includes tons of versatility and can actually replace an entire pre-amp in a system for only $349, and there's also the fairly amazing Shiit Modi USB-only model made in USA for all of $99! I think the golden age of the reasonably priced DAC is almost upon us.

If I end up pulling the trigger on the Emotiva maybe I'll make a run to NOVA some Sunday and you can give it a test-run.

Happy New Year to you all.

Mr. Widget
12-31-2012, 06:43 PM
funny how little things can somehow change your whole perspective.

I'm hardheaded and cheap - but I read about a $20 DAC available through Amazon.
Yeah, I can hear the chuckles - go).
SO its just an optical cable from there into this little DAC - and a good pair of interconnects feed that to the Jolida integrated amp.

but if this little gadget can make that kind of a change ... whew!I think it really shows just how bad the built it DAC is... a good DAC certainly does make a difference. You should check out some of the threads over on Computer Audiophile... They have checked out quite a few DACs at many price points.

Widget

pathfindermwd
12-31-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm hear to tell you - its the best $20 I ever spent!

This goofy little block has brought out separation, detail and clarity I didn't know I was lacking!

That's what it was like for me too. The difficulty is in conveying the proper level of improvement of new gear. We say this thing or that really made an improvement, but then there are things like this that really do perform, for little money.

MikeBrewster77
12-31-2012, 11:05 PM
A good DAC can certainly be quite revealing. I know there's a lot of allegiance out there to whatever anyone might happen to have at any one time, but if you could swing it, I think there's a big consensus that the Benchmark DAC-1s are truly primo units. Accidentally became an audiophile darling as they were designed for professional use. I tried one, and it was just ever so slightly on the analytical side for me (and admittedly, I skew towards what I'd describe as "realistically warm" in my sonic signature preference) but very solid, and a bargain at the price. I imagine you'll see a drop in used market prices shortly too as they've just released the second major iteration. Peachtree has a good reputation out there too among all the other flavours (and again, considered a great performance-for-price brand.)

hjames
01-01-2013, 05:52 AM
We tried all different kinds of music through iTunes and it really was amazing -
we had a sound stage, there was imaging, ... actually Imaging on those JBL "L200" 3-ways!
We heard separation between instruments on AJA ...
even a 40 year old recording of the Grateful Dead Live at RFK stadium in DC was incredible.
Bass was tight and distinct - and had an impact - it was like everything had been slightly out of focus,
then this DAC did a rack focus and all was crisped up! Had to pry ourselves away after an hour of OMG moments ...
I think the next stage is to run the old OPPO 971HD I have in that system though it and see how it sounds with an updated DAC ...
and if that is revealing as well, I'll replace that $20 demo DAC with a 2 input DAC for that system!

I think it really shows just how bad the built in DAC is ...
a good DAC certainly does make a difference.
You should check out some of the threads over on Computer Audiophile...
They have checked out quite a few DACs at many price points. Widget

4313B
01-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Well, someone posted that DAC will work for 99.99% of all people. I'm inclined to leave the 1% out of this, so let's assume it's good for merely 99% of all people. I'll probably pick one up and try it.

Has anyone tried the new Oppo BDP-105? Too bad the DAC in that thing isn't available separately?

MartinV56
01-05-2013, 12:24 AM

MartinV56
01-05-2013, 12:29 AM

hjames
01-05-2013, 06:13 AM

Is that 4 horns you've gotten for your system?
Nice looking turned wood - what kind of finish do you have planned?
What drivers are you going to use with them?
Are you going to put them in your Altec Cabinets?
Or on top like I did with my walnut smith horns?

MartinV56
01-05-2013, 06:50 AM

In this moment tri-amping with single ended amps

Bass: SEP KT-88, BLR horn 10"
Mids: SET:300B , 350Hz 1" driver K55V
HF: VT-25, Selenium D220ti

the new 2" horn is for replace the 1" horn
Driver: Selenium D405 phenolic

hjames
01-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Broke down and bought a Micromega MyDAC - the big gain is it has 3 switchable ins - USB, Coaxial and the Toslink/Optical.
Interesting that is not chinese but French designed and manufactured.
My main source for that system is optical out of the Airport Express/iTunes,
but its nice that I can also pull coaxial out of the old Oppo DV981HD.
Just arrived this morning and I just got it into place - its a tiny thing -
about 5" x 5" by 1.25 or so - power supply is internal - so no wallwart!

Sounds quite nice from what we can hear - but reviewers for a lot of DACs say they get better after running in for a hundred hours or so,
so I'll let it cook before I do any serious review and make any comments.
Has a front panel switch for the sources - kind of roll the knurled edge under your thumb to select
from OFF through the 3 sources - USB, COAX, OPTICAL.
So far, it IS an improvement over the internal DAC of the OPPO and the Airport Express unit ...
but as I said, I'll wait for burn in before giving any longer comments.

Well, someone posted that DAC will work for 99.99% of all people.
I'm inclined to leave the 1% out of this, so let's assume it's good for merely 99% of all people. I'll probably pick one up and try it.

Has anyone tried the new Oppo BDP-105? Too bad the DAC in that thing isn't available separately?

Mr. Widget
01-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Try this:

Queue up a CD in your Oppo and the same tune via the Aiport/Optical and compare optical vs. copper. With my Bryston DAC I found copper coax sounded noticeably superior to the optical.

Widget

pathfindermwd
01-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Broke down and bought a Micromega MyDAC - the big gain is it has 3 switchable ins - USB, Coaxial and the Toslink/Optical.

Hey Heather,

Just reading up on your new toy, I see it's got Asynchronous USB. Everything I have read suggests that asynchronous provides the lowest jitter of all the connections, with the highest resolution 192/24.

My MusicStreamerII is only USB, so if you get a chance to use the USB, I would be interested if there was much of a audible difference between USB and the others.

hjames
01-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Try this: Queue up a CD in your Oppo and the same tune via the Aiport/Optical and compare optical vs. copper.
With my Bryston DAC I found copper coax sounded noticeably superior to the optical. Widget

With the Airport Express, my only digital choice is Optical.
I'm using a plastic optical cable I got from Seawolf's Cables sale last year.
Of course, this might be the time to buy a nice optical cable,
but I do consider that the Airport Express itself is only $99.
Anyway, since optical on the DAC is already in use,
with the OPPO I am using copper Coax, and its nice.

I'll take a demo of a track over Wifi/optical vs one in the Oppo/Coax and let you know.

Maybe once it "burns in" for a bit I could try the OPPO optical feed, just to know,
but since I'll be using Coaxial from the Oppo, there is no urgency.

I don't have any USB sources near the rack - so nothing to test,
[my macPro is a half flight up in the office and a devil to move].

Anyway, the alternative choice was the Schiit Bifrost -
but they were back ordered so I couldn't get one now.
Plus, if I ever DID want USB, thats an extra $100 option taking it to $450.

Mr. Widget
01-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm using a plastic optical cable I got from Seawolf's Cables sale last year.
Of course, this might be the time to buy a nice optical cable...

I'll take a demo of a track over Wifi/optical vs one in the Oppo/Coax and let you know.
I have yet to hear any reports from any reputable sources that there are any differences between optical cables.

Please do the comparison and report back. I'm curious.

Widget

4313B
01-12-2013, 11:29 AM
I have yet to hear any reports from any reputable sources that there are any differences between optical cables.Only the 20/20 ones are any good.

JuniorJBL
01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Only the 20/20 ones are any good.

:rotfl:

hjames
02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Yet another change - I had tried a low-mid price piece - MyDAC, french made - was ok but since it did NOT best the $25 FIIO D3, MyDac wasn't to be my DAC, and back it went.

Got an Audio Alchemy DAC-In-The-Box couple weeks ago - an older piece, used, for under $100 shipped. Has BurrBrown chips and a pleasant sound. Its a keeper.

Then an AK member was closing out all his older Audio Alchemy gear and I got a DDE-3 DAC from him. Supposed to be a few step up from DITB, and decodes HDCD, which is a plus for running that Oppo DV981HD through it. The Oppo says it will decode HDCD itself, but I've always been suspicious, as it has no indicator lights or anything like that - best use of it for HDCD was paired with the late lamented Harman AVR 7300 top of the line and letting IT decode the HDCD.

For the Oppo, if I use the Coaxial out, it bypasses OPPOs HDCD decoding, so owning a DAC that can do HDCD as well as the usual DAC duties is a real plus for me - I'd guesstimate I have at least 50 HDCD in the collection, probably more.

I hooked the DDE3 up and have been playing a bit of music since it came - nothing too critical as my head is stuffy today - recovering from the flu that dragged into pneumonia. I'll do a thorough listen, if my head clears tomorrow or over the weekend.

Nice looking unit - a pity they are Out Of Business ...

NickH
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Hey Heather,

What kind of digital cable is that? Looks clear. Is it one of those oil filled cables?

Nick

We tried all different kinds of music through iTunes and it really was amazing -
we had a sound stage, there was imaging, ... actually Imaging on those JBL "L200" 3-ways!
We heard separation between instruments on AJA ...
even a 40 year old recording of the Grateful Dead Live at RFK stadium in DC was incredible.
Bass was tight and distinct - and had an impact - it was like everything had been slightly out of focus,
then this DAC did a rack focus and all was crisped up! Had to pry ourselves away after an hour of OMG moments ...
I think the next stage is to run the old OPPO 971HD I have in that system though it and see how it sounds with an updated DAC ...
and if that is revealing as well, I'll replace that $20 demo DAC with a 2 input DAC for that system!

hjames
02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Hey Heather,

What kind of digital cable is that? Looks clear. Is it one of those oil filled cables?

Nick
Nothing fancy, just an optical cable I got when Seawolf bought out an interconnect shop a couple years ago.
I believe the package said RCA - whatever that brand means these days.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=57838&d=1357094381

Photo shows original FIIO D3 DAC - $25 from Amazon!!

NickH
02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
optical cable, huh. I wouldn't have guessed that. I figured it being clear to the outside would cause issues. But I guess not. But then again its probably not multimode fiber.

Nothing fancy, just an optical cable I got when Seawolf bought out an interconnect shop a couple years ago.
I believe the package said RCA - whatever that brand means these days.

hjames
02-07-2013, 07:46 PM
optical cable, huh. I wouldn't have guessed that. I figured it being clear to the outside would cause issues. But I guess not. But then again its probably not multimode fiber. Nope - its much different than optical fiber for networking or distribution use. Does quite well.

NickH
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Nope - its much different than optical fiber for networking or distribution use. Does quite well.

Well it certianly looks cool to boot.

hjames
02-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Still have the JBL L200 cabinets with 3 way action going on as the go-to speakers in the room -
and I'm still using the Joliday Tube amp with the Oppo or iTunes (lossless) files streamed ...
But I like to hear how different speakers affect the way my favorite music sounds ... so . . .
OMG - I've tweaked the system again ...

Last fall I had a chance to get a pair of Ruark Talisman II speakers (or Rubik's Taliban speakers, as Mark is fond of calling them!)
Kind of interesting English 2 ways in beautiful wood cabinets ... Very nice and impressive -
but I think the music room is too large/tall for them - I've heard they do well in a smaller room ....

But, this week on my birthday (Feb 19th) I ran down halfway to Richmond and got a pair of KEF 105.4 speakers -
really interesting time aligned 3 ways ... and yes, they are English too!
I'm still setting them up and getting to know them.
The upper cabinet is tiltable and steerable - even has a bullseye window feature -
turn it on, sit in your sweet spot, and rotate the top 2 way cabinet around until the red indicator is centered in the bullseye ... way cool!

Pretty neat and both pairs were fairly affordable - the KEFs were about twice what the Ruarks cost ...

One of the Ruark Talisman II speakers with the grill off,
followed by a shot showing the side profile.
They are built for biwiring - tho I've got that bridged.
61563 61566

The KEF 105.4s - with the top hat and grills off, and then with them on & covered.
61564 61565

Odd
02-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Neat, you will soon need more space.

hjames
02-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Neat, you will soon need more space.

yes - there will be another speaker sale ... probably the Ruarks -
they're quite nice but they are the least of them!

grumpy
02-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Looks like fun :) 104's (similar) were on my short list years ago... never went there (so I'm a teensy bit jealous) :)

macaroonie
02-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Hi Heather , if you are listening and comparing speakers in close proximity like that its a good idea to short out the unused speakers and stuff their ports.
Otherwise all you have is a couple of big resonators that will variously sing along with or cancel the driven speakers.
Personally from past experience I think you are in better company with Vandersteen or Tannoy ( although they are quite different )

Cheerie

M

Mr. Widget
02-21-2014, 01:07 PM
I would suggest the KEFs are the superior speaker in your room, but the heavily modded JBLs may be more engaging or fun.

Widget

hjames
03-28-2014, 09:35 AM
I would suggest the KEFs are the superior speaker in your room, but the heavily modded JBLs may be more engaging or fun.

Widget

Just a brief update
I recapped the KEF crossovers about 2 weeks back, and swapped 5 way Parts Express connectors for the original pot metal and rubber connectors. The original caps from '82 or so weren't very good even then, and of course 32 years later - ugh!
The replacement caps have made the KEFs sound pretty amazing. Mids and highs are gorgeous, and the caps even tightened up the bass. With 2 8 inch woofers in a sealed box they don't go quite as low as the 2234s in the L200 cabs, but they may have become my go-to speakers ... everything I've listened to sounds better on them!
I'm still using the Jolida 502BRC tube amp with the Audio Alchemy DDE DAC.
I have updated to the latest version of the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express units for digital streaming.

The KEFs really are a different kind of sound.

jblwolf
03-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Hi Heather,I'm so over using passive x-overs( jbl,lx 5,3110,3105,lx13,7000& 8000)Ive had my s-8 system since 1977-components
I did get rid of the short horn and lens and got the 2309-2310.I went through many tube amp combo(old jukebox amps,fishers,mcintosh,dynaco,marantz,heathkit)grou nd issues ,hum,blown fuses,recapping,tube replacement,old age issues.http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon3.png then in 1986 I got a rane ac23(running tri-amped),2-mc50's,752 and a pro Ramsa amp.in 2003 I added another 075(tried 077) and have never looked back.now don't get me wrong tubes sound great,it was the up keep of the tube equipment that kept burning a hole in my pocket.Ive
been using this system 4 to 5 hours every day since 2004 and have never had any problems.just listen' to the music
=Wolf

hjames
03-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Hi Heather,I'm so over using passive x-overs( jbl,lx 5,3110,3105,lx13,7000& 8000)Ive had my s-8 system since 1977-components
I did get rid of the short horn and lens and got the 2309-2310.I went through many tube amp combo(old jukebox amps,fishers,mcintosh,dynaco,marantz,heathkit)grou nd issues ,hum,blown fuses,recapping,tube replacement,old age issues.http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon3.png then in 1986 I got a rane ac23(running tri-amped),2-mc50's,752 and a pro Ramsa amp.in 2003 I added another 075(tried 077) and have never looked back.now don't get me wrong tubes sound great,it was the up keep of the tube equipment that kept burning a hole in my pocket.Ive
been using this system 4 to 5 hours every day since 2004 and have never had any problems.just listen' to the music
=Wolf

Interesting prspective, thanks.

I've never had any upkeep with the tube amps. Once I shipped the original faulty Stromberg Carlson back to the seller
(he was very apologetic once he found the bad solder joint), its been pretty new Jolida amps for me.
I did buy my current amp used - it was around half price that way.
One of the 6550 power tubes failed a year later and I replaced it and its partner with a new pair,
but outside of the original tube rolling to upgrade the chinese and russian tubes, no, not a dime.

Fort Knox
04-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Interesting prspective, thanks.

I've never had any upkeep with the tube amps. Once I shipped the original faulty Stromberg Carlson back to the seller
(he was very apologetic once he found the bad solder joint), its been pretty new Jolida amps for me.
I did buy my current amp used - it was around half price that way.
One of the 6550 power tubes failed a year later and I replaced it and its partner with a new pair,
but outside of the original tube rolling to upgrade the chinese and russian tubes, no, not a dime.

I second the motion
Tube amp distortion with a little reverb thrown in rules....

hjames
07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
New change to the room.
Still have the L200s with Wooden horn and external slots, and the KEF 105.4 I got for my birthday in Feb, but ...
Emma had been really impressed with the magnepan MGIIb we had a few years back.
They had very narrow bandwidth, no real top end, no low bass, but the midrange on old sinatra recordings and such -
well, with sound coming from the front and back of the panel, Emma said it was like swimming in the music.

Anyway, learning experience aside, I managed to sell them for what I paid for em, back then ...
but always wondered about better models.

Last week before the July 4th Holiday I saw an ad that intrigued me ...

Audio Research Tympani 1-D electrostatic speakers (vintage) - $### (under 5 benjamins)
Owners manual and passive crossover (never used)
New cream covers in 2002
Have speaker feet (black)
Used about 25 hours in the past 17 years
Each speaker consists of 3 panels, each panel is 16" wide by 72" tall, about 1" thick
Each speaker is about 45" wide x 72" high when panels are angled
Always used with Nacamichi power amp, clean power
Cash and carry
=================================
So I did the googling, did some reading, and went to audition them last night ...
Great hairy ned - these things had bass and these things have treble!!!

I haven't had time to really shake them down hard -
but everything is very interesting through them.
Specs say they go down to 40Hz

They're the big grey room 3-panel dividers! Crazy, huh?

grumpy
07-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Always thought that would be a fun speaker to audition.
nice price for a working set. If you ever tire of them ... ;)

hjames
07-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Lest you think I've drifted too far with the other brands ...
I still fire up the 3-way L200s on the Jolida amp ...
The Quad 6550 tubes make for a great combo with plenty of volume!

Anyway, as you may have noticed, I'm selling off some of my spares -
so yesterday I decided to sell the external 077s I got from subwoof last year.

To do so, I had to unhook the walnut Smith horns, lay the cabinets
on their back, pull the 2234 woofers, and hook up the crossover wires
to the internal 2405 slots I had originally installed a few years back.

Of course, with the speaker on its back, its something different in the living room -
something new and interesting, something that needs to be inspected closely ...

(At least the woofer wasn't off yet)

hjames
07-20-2014, 03:43 AM
Always thought that would be a fun speaker to audition.
nice price for a working set. If you ever tire of them ... ;)

I made a call to the Magnepan factory last Tuesday, checking prices for new socks and wire kits to rebuild the 6 panels.
Parts would be around $350 or so, plus shipping from the factory in Mn. But interestingly enough,
I also found out that if I ship the 35 year old speakers back to the factory, for somewhere around a grand or so,
they'll rebuild them, install new socks, and check/repair the electronics (a simple 2 way crossover), and ship them back to me.

Its VERY tempting to avoid all that fuss and tedious mess with the smelly chemicals and such,
and wind up with factory fresh speakers.

SEAWOLF97
07-20-2014, 12:18 PM
I had/have (parted. but here) Jantzen 'stats* ...incredible highs/mids , but the sweet spot was about 2 inches wide , which is the reason that I so enjoy the ESS Heil AMT drivers ...same great h/m , but huge sweet spot.

have a friend who picked up some CARVER AMAZING panel speakers . Got a good price as they were DOA. He found Bob Carver's email address and asked him about repairs and noted that he is in PDX.

Bob replied that he's just up I-5 in Sequim (not far from Seattle) and "bring 'em up" ... they spent the day in BC's garage and got drivers going again. He even autographed the pair. Friend claims same type of sound as your new Tympani's (tho they are single panel)

*the Jantzens do need to be plugged into 110v to run the HF/MF (2 way/10 inchers , passive)

hjames
07-20-2014, 03:03 PM
We don't have children, but I would be nervous of anything with a HV power supply around the cat(s).

The Carvers are supposed to be quite amazing but I've heard they have an appetite for wattage,
and can apparently be a difficult load for many amps. Don't know how they'd work with those BGW amps you have.
I've read of Amazing sales here and there but have not seen any of them locally ...

The magnepans aren't electrostatic - its a full 60'x14' or so panel (in a 72 x 16 frame) that radiates bipolar -
There is a wire loom glued to a mylar panel that works via magnetism - its quite amazing the soundfield they create.

I had/have (parted. but here) Jantzen 'stats* ...incredible highs/mids , but the sweet spot was about 2 inches wide , which is the reason that I so enjoy the ESS Heil AMT drivers ...same great h/m , but huge sweet spot.

have a friend who picked up some CARVER AMAZING panel speakers . Got a good price as they were DOA. He found Bob Carver's email address and asked him about repairs and noted that he is in PDX.

Bob replied that he's just up I-5 in Sequim (not far from Seattle) and "bring 'em up" ... they spent the day in BC's garage and got drivers going again. He even autographed the pair. Friend claims same type of sound as your new Tympani's (tho they are single panel)

*the Jantzens do need to be plugged into 110v to run the HF/MF (2 way/10 inchers , passive)

rusty jefferson
07-25-2014, 04:57 PM
I made a call to the Magnepan factory last Tuesday, checking prices for new socks and wire kits to rebuild the 6 panels.
Parts would be around $350 or so, plus shipping from the factory in Mn. But interestingly enough,
I also found out that if I ship the 35 year old speakers back to the factory, for somewhere around a grand or so,
they'll rebuild them, install new socks, and check/repair the electronics (a simple 2 way crossover), and ship them back to me.

Its VERY tempting to avoid all that fuss and tedious mess with the smelly chemicals and such,
and wind up with factory fresh speakers.

I don't know if you're still considering the updating, but I thought I'd pass along my feelings about the Tympani. I owned a pair of 1Ds a couple years ago that I picked up by a similar fashion. I was very impressed by that great soundstaging these maggies are famous for, and excellent midrange. I also initially felt the top end extension was good, but after a couple days came to realize it actually was lacking. They are very easy to listen to though. If you are enjoying the overall performance of the Tympani, and considering investing some money in a pair, I would suggest auditioning the Tympani IVA model. It utilizes a true ribbon tweeter, better midrange panel, and crossover. They are considerably better than the 1D, were highly acclaimed, and coveted by their owners. Most pairs have been well cared for and a good set could run you about the same cost as updating the 1Ds. Many owners have already done the rewiring. I have a friend in the D.C. area who owns a pair, and if set up, would be happy to let you hear them. While considering updating my 1Ds, I placed an ad on Audiogon under the "wanted" heading asking if someone in the D.C. area had a pair of IVAs they would be willing to let me audition, and he contacted me. 5 minutes of listening was all it took to let me know it was not going to be worth updating the 1Ds. I also learned my room wasn't nearly large enough to let these speakers really perform. Sold the 1Ds, stayed friends with the IVA owner so I can listen to his from time to time. :)

Below is a photo of a technique that A.R. and Magnepan used at a CES show some years ago that a friend of mine has utilized with his home system. It uses 2 pairs of Maggie 3.6R (or 3.5, 3.7) set up in a "T" configuration and wired in series. Bass as good or better than the Tympanis, and outstanding top end performance. Since the introduction of the 3.7s, the 3.5/3.6 speaker prices are dropping enough to make it feasible to buy 2 pairs.

Below are my 1Ds, in a room too small for Tympani.

hjames
07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks very much for the feedback, Rusty.

I've spent the last 2 weeks selling off all kinds of spares & parts to collect money for the rebuild,
But now I am having second thoughts about dropping the money into a factory rebuild.
The old JBLs I've owned have held value for me pretty well - I don't know about the Mags ...

So tomorrow after Dim Sum, we are headed to The Gifted Listener in Centerville,
to audition some modern Magnepans and to get a better sense of the newer ones,
and really figure what our possibilities are, and if we want to go that route.

One possibility is that afterwards, I may put my 1Ds on CL and just turn them back into cash ...
(its got to be agreed to by Emma as well - the Mag sound captivated her as well ...)

For nearly 10 years we've been spoiled with JBL 2235s and slots on top.
Later on we got accustomed to added plus of Smith horns with pro drivers.
While it might be tempting to convert them into cash as well,
the question is always - what would replace them?

I've been told to buy Array 1400s - but I'm hesitant to drop that much money into new speakers -
darned things depreciate worse than new sports cars!

So much to think about!

I don't know if you're still considering the updating, but I thought I'd pass along my feelings about the Tympani. I owned a pair of 1Ds a couple years ago that I picked up by a similar fashion. I was very impressed by that great soundstaging these maggies are famous for, and excellent midrange. I also initially felt the top end extension was good, but after a couple days came to realize it actually was lacking. They are very easy to listen to though. If you are enjoying the overall performance of the Tympani, and considering investing some money in a pair, I would suggest auditioning the Tympani IVA model. It utilizes a true ribbon tweeter, better midrange panel, and crossover. They are considerably better than the 1D, were highly acclaimed, and coveted by their owners. Most pairs have been well cared for and a good set could run you about the same cost as updating the 1Ds. Many owners have already done the rewiring. I have a friend in the D.C. area who owns a pair, and if set up, would be happy to let you hear them. While considering updating my 1Ds, I placed an ad on Audiogon under the "wanted" heading asking if someone in the D.C. area had a pair of IVAs they would be willing to let me audition, and he contacted me. 5 minutes of listening was all it took to let me know it was not going to be worth updating the 1Ds. I also learned my room wasn't nearly large enough to let these speakers really perform. Sold the 1Ds, stayed friends with the IVA owner so I can listen to his from time to time. :)

Below is a photo of a technique that A.R. and Magnepan used at a CES show some years ago that a friend of mine has utilized with his home system. It uses 2 pairs of Maggie 3.6R (or 3.5, 3.7) set up in a "T" configuration and wired in series. Bass as good or better than the Tympanis, and outstanding top end performance. Since the introduction of the 3.7s, the 3.5/3.6 speaker prices are dropping enough to make it feasible to buy 2 pairs.

Below are my 1Ds, in a room too small for Tympani.

BMWCCA
07-25-2014, 07:29 PM
I've been told to buy Array 1400s - but I'm hesitant to drop that much money into new speakers -
darned things depreciate worse than new sports cars!

Just wait!
At the rate they're dropping, the DD6600 will be affordable (for normal folks like you and me) soon. They've already dropped from somewhere in the mid $60k to the low $20k range. If it's cut in thirds again I could be interested.
:nutz:

Allanvh5150
07-25-2014, 08:09 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/speakers-and-stands/floor-speakers/auction-757194152.htm

These have been on sale in NZ for quite a while with no nibbles.

Allan.

hjames
10-27-2014, 03:25 AM
Went to the Richmond Celtic games over the weekend, and while I was there, I picked up something different from an AK member in the area ...

Von Schweikert VR-4 (1998). Base cabs are 100 Lb each - upper enclosures are 50lb ea ... a heavy move!

They are black on black - so I'll check out stripping the black paint off the cap and foot to reveal the wood underneath (probably oak).
The lower cabinet has a pair of 8 inch woofers in a rear ported cabinet.
The upper cabinet seems like the Vandersteens - basically an open "enclosure" that is a cloth scrim with no panels inside, a front facing mid and tweeter,
plus a (controllable) rear facing tweeter.
Amazingly low bass, very dynamic with crisp percussives, clean mids and highs - and - they image very very well ...

I don't have them in the sweet spot yet - but I am running them with the 60w/ch Jolida 502BRC tube amp and they are loud and impressive ...

Thinking about moving the custom L200s to the TV room and selling off the vandersteen 3A (current mains in that room), and selling off the KEF 105.4 ...

More later - got to scoot!

opimax
10-27-2014, 07:46 AM
What? you were very happy with the Vandys? We missed the listening party for them and now you have these :)

I like 100lb base cabs, should make bass

Mark

Mr. Widget
10-27-2014, 08:24 AM
What? you were very happy with the Vandys? I've never done anything like that... :D I'd suggest keeping both for a while just in case you have a change of heart.

Widget

hjames
10-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Until a buyer appears for the vandy 3As, they are still front mains in the media room downstairs ...
but at some point I want to move the JBL L200s with horns downstairs and see how they play in that system ...

and move the Vandy 3As upstairs to see how they play in that space.
The 3As ARE nice - but these VR-4s are better ... at least as heard at Jeff's place in Richmond and in our upstairs room with the 60 watt tube amp ...
I eventually want to clean the (factory) black paint off the cap and footer to reveal the wood underneath, like i did with the DCM TF-600s, but not this week ...

Pity all these speakers are so bloody heavy ... my back is achy already ...

and yes, the VR-4s do have deep low bass - its amazing ... played some Crimson, old Genesis, Beethoven's 9th from Immortal Beloved soundtrack,
you should hear the Boz track "Thanks to You" from Dig (that's the one they played in the Harman demo truck couple years back) ... the whole house shudders - even with just 60 tube watts!

We'll find time for another listening party before the holidays, ok? and invite a couple new faces ...

What? you were very happy with the Vandys? We missed the listening party for them and now you have these :)

I like 100lb base cabs, should make bass

Mark

hjames
10-27-2014, 08:31 AM
I've never done anything like that... :D I'd suggest keeping both for a while just in case you have a change of heart.

Widget

Agreed - I think I should sell the KEFs off and hold the others for a bit -
take some time and try each remaining system in the 2 different rooms
with the different gear and see which plays best with what where!

Its just the ones I like best are all so darned big and heavy -
the VR-4 stacks are 150lbs each! At least they are efficient.

Mr. Widget
10-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Its just the ones I like best are all so darned big and heavy -
the VR-4 stacks are 150lbs each! At least they are efficient.At least they are in almost manageable sections! My speakers are not sectional and weigh twice that... and are awkwardly shaped too!

Widget

hjames
12-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Thing change and yet some things stay the same. For the last few months I had been trying to sell off at least one pair of speakers.
Finally found someone who dropped by for a demo Sunday and left me with a check -
he's buying my KEF 105.4 speakers - and wants me to hold them until Feb 1
while his contractors finish building the music room for him, his son and a certain grand piano.

I dropped the check in the bank today - but since I don't need to play the KEFs any more, it gave
me a chance to clear them from the room for a bit ... (behind the white door)

Still have the stack with the Jolida 502 BRC tube amp - seems a perfect match for either the JBLs with horns
or the Von Schweikert VR-4s, with their striking imaging ...

Playing the VR-4s now - "Keith Jarrett - Dark Intervals" now - live piano with stunning dynamic range and tonality ...

hjames
03-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Yet another change in the speaker stacks - thinning the herd (or is that the Heard?)!

The buyer picked up the KEF 105.4s in early Feb, I found a buyer for the Magnepan Tympani 1Ds I bought that failed in 24 hours and were going to need a rebuild -
I considered a DIY rebuild, called the factory and considered a factory rebuild, then decided to avid the mess and put them up for sale ... shipped them to AR so they're gone.

Then late today I got a fair offer on the JBL L200 Custom 3 ways with the walnut smith horns and 2445J drivers.
If it doesn't rain, they'll head out tomorrow ...
That's the last of the big JBLs I had in the house - except for the 4641 sub down in the TV room.

If I get a fair offer, I'll let the Von Schweikerts can go away ...

Still running that room with the short rack of the Oppo DV981, Audio Alchemy DDE3 DAC, and the Jolida 502 BRC integrated tube amp -

After being amazed at the sound of Rusty Jefferson's 813C UREIs, I looked for a starter pair and found a pair of 809 drivers and crossovers,
then found a complete pair of UREI 809A speakers with bad surrounds, swapped the woofer cores around, and put a pair of 2214 woofers
with a 12 mH choke in the lower "blonde" cabinets and have been enjoying the heck out of them for the last 2 weeks.
The UREIs also use JBL 12 inch drivers and are very efficient.

Who knows, maybe I'll find a nice pair of UREI 811Cs (with the JBL 15 inch drivers) and settle on them ...

More info when I have it!

Doc Mark
03-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Hi, Heather,

WOW!! I'll miss seeing those L200 3-ways in your photos, my friend! Did you get tired of the horns, as they were setup in that system? Good luck in finding your perfect system, and I look forward to seeing what it turns out to be!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

hjames
03-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Hi, Heather,

WOW!! I'll miss seeing those L200 3-ways in your photos, my friend! Did you get tired of the horns, as they were setup in that system? Good luck in finding your perfect system, and I look forward to seeing what it turns out to be!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

I never tired of the horns - they still sound sweeter than the stock metal trumpets, (the metal trumpets can get tiring!)
and the walnut horns are even better with the 2445J pro drivers compared to the stock 2420/2425 small drivers.

But I've been on a downsizing path for a while - I have 5 large speaker systems in the house
(Vandersteen 3As, plus Vandersteen 2CE & 2CIs on the downstairs system, plus 3 large systems upstairs)
and I really just want to listen to the music - not collect hardware.

But it's one thing to find a buyer for a factory based system, but a custom system can be harder to sell
as there are personal choices made in how all the drivers and components mix together,
It may be hard to find someone that appreciates the choices and the sound the same way you do.
Its not always easy to get a decent return on the parts that went into such a system.
I think that's why a lot of folks part out their system when they decide to sell.

Anyway, one friend had heard the system a couple times over the last few months, he'd bought some of my spares,
and had been playing with them, and really took a liking to the way the pieces sounded together.

I had a small listening party today because some friends had been wanting to hear the UREIs I've been talking about recently -
and afterwards, he made an offer we are both happy with ...

Plus it will be nice to get some clutter out of the music room ...

Doesn't mean I'll stop buying speakers (I'd like to try a pair of UREI 15s next) ...
but my direction is a bit different than it was.

hjames
03-15-2015, 07:51 AM
JBL speakers are gone.
Teddy cat is forlorn.
Empty spaces ...

Doc Mark
03-15-2015, 08:12 AM
Hi, Heather,

Yes, Teddy does look a bit flummoxed, doesn't he?! Once he gets used to having more room, he may actually enjoy that. Sure is a handsome kitty, in any case. Though I'll miss seeing your L200 3-ways in your photos, I understand the thinning out plan, and should do a bit of that, myself. Congrats on finding an appreciative buyer for the L200's, and enjoy the hunt for your next system!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

hjames
03-15-2015, 09:04 AM
I took a look - I brought the cabinets home Mar 3, 2007 ... 8 years ago.
I was originally planning to move my 4320 parts into the nicer boxes -
Teddy took ownership immediately!

64858 ...

Hi, Heather,

Yes, Teddy does look a bit flummoxed, doesn't he?! Once he gets used to having more room, he may actually enjoy that. Sure is a handsome kitty, in any case. Though I'll miss seeing your L200 3-ways in your photos, I understand the thinning out plan, and should do a bit of that, myself. Congrats on finding an appreciative buyer for the L200's, and enjoy the hunt for your next system!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

BMWCCA
03-15-2015, 12:26 PM
And I found some all-original new-in-box Bose 901 Series IVs so I'm putting my 4345s on the market.
Then I'm looking for some Minimus 7s and, when I find them, the 250tis are going up for sale, even if I've never taken them out of their boxes.

Oh wait, still two-weeks until April 1. ;)

Can't wait to hear your new setup. :applaud:

hjames
03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
And I found some all-original new-in-box Bose 901 Series IVs so I'm putting my 4345s on the market.
Then I'm looking for some Minimus 7s and, when I find them, the 250tis are going up for sale, even if I've never taken them out of their boxes.

Oh wait, still two-weeks until April 1. ;)

Can't wait to hear your new setup. :applaud:

Well, the last pair of Bose someone gave me I gave to my inlaws who like such things ...
I do have a pair of Wooden Minimus 7s - not connected -
the L20Ts are far superior up in my office!

I really like the point/source nature of the UREIs - and - they are JBL drivers!

Auditions - not a problem - I'll make a point to offer you a demo here at Fairfax Audio ... ...
are you expecting a Saturday off anytime soon (no snark implied - honest Q).
I know its hard to find spare time in your schedule,
and certainly family comes well ahead of audio-foolery!!

Doc Mark
03-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Hey, Phil,

I just happen to have four Mininus 7's I can trade you!! I'll send a freight company to your place to deliver the two pairs of 7's to you, and to pack up my new repro 4345's and bring them to me!!!!! (Hey, no need to thank my Bro! Always happy to do a favor for a LH/JBL Friend!!) ; ) Happy early April 1st to you, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Mark

BMWCCA
03-15-2015, 02:38 PM
I'll make a point to offer you a demo here at Fairfax Audio ... ...
are you expecting a Saturday off anytime soon (no snark implied - honest Q).
I wish. This is the last Sunday I'll have off this month!

tinpan
03-16-2015, 07:12 AM
"JBL speakers are gone.
Teddy cat is forlorn.
Empty spaces ..."

It was more like an intervention, JBL style.:bouncy::applaud::bouncy:

"Though I'll miss seeing your L200 3-ways in your photos"http://images14.fotki.com/v437/photos/6/111916/12628482/IMG_3016-vi.jpg
Not to worry, Heather's L200's have gone to " Horn Heaven" and will have lot's of company.

"And I found some all-original new-in-box Bose 901 Series IVs so I'm putting my 4345s on the market."
Dibbs...
"Oh wait, still two-weeks until April 1. ;)"
Still Dibbs....

As you can see I am rather partial to horn systems. I've been enjoying the 4320's I re-assembled and couldn't resist the L200's Heather had. They give me the option to try a couple different configurations of 3 way systems.

Gotta run. but I'l; post a little more later

hjames
03-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Vera nice ...

Mr. Widget
03-16-2015, 07:53 AM
House of horns!

Well done... congrats to both of you.

Widget

Doc Mark
03-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Hi, Tinpan,

Excellent! I am relieved to know that I can now get my "Heather's L200 3-way" fix, anytime I need it, by looking at the system at YOUR place!! Very nice stable of excellent horn systems! Must me interesting to hear the differences in each when compared to one another. I lusted after some Cornwalls when I was younger. And, my first horn-loaded system consisted of Altec 816 boxes, with JBL's inside, and 811B horn on top, with 802 driver. To me, it was pure heaven, as I could drive it quite nicely with the little Sansui 15 WPC receiver I had back then! LPs sounded great on it, actually, and I didn't even miss the lack of really deep bass, either. Dynamic, they were, just as your systems are!! Thanks for sharing and congrats to both you, and Heather, for striking your deal! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

hjames
11-24-2015, 05:50 AM
Hi Heather , if you are listening and comparing speakers in close proximity like that its a good idea to short out the unused speakers and stuff their ports.
Otherwise all you have is a couple of big resonators that will variously sing along with or cancel the driven speakers.
Personally from past experience I think you are in better company with Vandersteen or Tannoy ( although they are quite different )

Cheerie

M

Thanks Mac!
I did even better - had them for sale for ages, but I hit a sweet (price) spot recently and sold off the Vandersteen 2CEs and 3As -
as well as the UREI 811C project speakers ... Just one pair in the upstairs now - the Von Schweikert VR-4s! (for now)

hjames
01-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Did one last change in the system. One of the folks on Audiokarma had a newer Jolida 502CRC - this is a minor upgrade from the 502BRC
integrated amp I bought used in 2013. Anyway, the 502CRC is pretty much the same amp but it has a Bypass switch so I have the capability
to use it as a power amp, and feed it from a discrete preamp. It also has a balanced input with XLR connectors, and a minijack on the front
so it could be fed directly from an iPod or similar digital player. The sound was comparable to my older 502BRC, so I sold that to a gentleman in Ga.

Oh - and the Vandersteen 3As got shipped to a gentleman in CA via Airfreight ... so the living room is more open now!

hjames
11-06-2023, 06:11 AM
Fortunately, Subwoof has enabled me with a new pair of cabinets to start a new round of wood horned experimentations ...!
The madness will continue here -
https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?43476-Heather-s-2-way-3-way-2022-23-24-JBL-build

Mr. Widget
11-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Fortunately, Subwoof has enabled me with a new pair of cabinets to start a new round of wood horned experimentations ...!
I need to find an enabler!

I have a set of pristine L300 drivers that would love to fill a pair of L200 cabinets.

Widget

BMWCCA
11-07-2023, 05:40 AM

I have a set of pristine L300 drivers that would love to fill a pair of L200 cabinets.I always thought they grew on trees in California. :dont-know:

Robh3606
11-07-2023, 08:41 AM

I have a set of pristine L300 drivers that would love to fill a pair of L200 cabinets.

Widget

Yeah! I always really liked how they looked! In Cali you should be able to source a pair.

Rob :)