PDA

View Full Version : Beloved L-100's ??

bob newton
09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
All I ever heard was the L-100 but I am now wondering what I am missing. I always though that the L-100 was the best ever but? Is there better??

Figge
09-15-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by bob newton
Is there better??

uh oh! i think Bo or Giskard may be able to answer that! :)

its a matter of personal taste. ive had 4311:s and loved em. but there definently are better! but they usualy cost more!

try to get hold of a pair of L-65 or L-200B:s if u like L-100:s u will love those!

or simply get the top of the line 43xx or 44xx and stop looking for speakers!

4313B
09-15-2004, 04:14 AM
All I ever heard was the L-100 but I am now wondering what I am missing. I always though that the L-100 was the best ever but? Is there better?? No, everything since the L100 is merely wasted effort. Frankly, I can't believe any of these loudspeaker manufactures had the idiocy to keep their doors open after the L100. :screwy:

Audiobeer
09-15-2004, 05:34 AM
The are good entry level JBLs of the 70s-80s and were a huge commercial success. That's the good stuff. Now the owners here on the boards can convey what they find bad since I personaly haven't owned a pair in almost 25 years. The difficulty in buying these has increased since a certain member here on the boards (I won't point Bo out specificaly) has been buying up all the ones he can......shamefully I might add! :D

4313B
09-15-2004, 06:09 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Is Bo building "Solid Walls of Sound"?

boputnam
09-15-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
Is Bo building "Solid Walls of Sound"? :banana:

boputnam
09-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Figge
or simply get the top of the line 43xx or 44xx and stop looking for speakers! :yes:

delshadowrio
09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
I have two sets of 4412's and one set of L65 Jubals. They are all excellent speakers. The 4412's need to be placed closer to the listener than the L65's IMO, they will definetely do what you ask them to do. I figure after my ears get to used to them I will start hunting bigger JBLs. But, I will stay with the JBLs as my choice of speakers. My HPM 100's also have a place in my home for now...

MM

bob newton
09-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Nothing better than a L-100 Right Bo??:cheers: :moon:

Titanium Dome
09-17-2004, 08:48 AM
The L100 speaker has a number of strengths. The cabinet is well built and with decent care maintains its good looks for decades (so far). While the original grills had some well known limitations, they were by far the most interesting and attention getting of the time. With better performing, hopefully better lasting replacements available, the original stunning aesthetic of the speakers can be recaptured.

Another strength is that the drivers are robust and last a very long time. The woofer surrounds seem virtually indestructable and the drivers themselves hold up well over time. Yes, it's true that if overdriven there can be some consequences with the Alnico magnets, but even with heavy, long term use these wonderful magnets perform marvelously.

The speakers are flexible. By this I mean that they can be put many, many places, such as on the floor, on stands, on shelves, mounted to the walls or ceiling, and so on. I'm not suggesting that all these are ideal placements, but I am saying it's easy enough to do any of these, and I've seen them all done. A few of those could be construed as speaker abuse, but that doesn't preclude owners doing it anyway. They're also "portable." I know some of you old guys might dispute this, but those of us under 60 can still pick up the L100s, put them in the car, and take them anywhere to hook up for sound and music. :rockon1:

The L100s respond well to almost any amplifier, whether it be a 15W/ch RS miniamp of the 70s or 55W/ch Kenwood receiver of the 80s, or a 215W/ch dedicated amp of the 90s.

These speakers rock. Literally. As Rolling Stone stated in '71, they have a powerful midrange which will "knock you on your a$$." Made Loud to Be Played Loud. That's what L100s do best. :band:

So what makes a great speaker? Sound? Robustness? Longevity? Sales/Popularity? Heritage? Place in audio history? In these forums, I'd think all of these would count. In that respect, the L100 is a clear winner.

4313B
09-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Nice 1st post!

You just talked me into buying three L100 raffle tickets instead of two. :)

Figge
09-17-2004, 08:56 AM
hi! :wave:and welcome!

good post! u made some good points.

bob newton
09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Yes indeed, but stop boo hoo hoo, so very romantic ! me and my beloved L-100's :yes: :smsex:

:cheers: Welcome to the greatest place on the net

Titanium Dome
09-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Yes indeed, but stop boo hoo hoo, so very romantic ! me and my beloved L-100's

I put my L100 Century speakers on lay-away at Woodville Appliance in Toledo, Ohio as a college student in 1970. It took me almost a year to actually get them, paying maybe $10 or $20 a month. I loved them so much, I was willing to wait to be together. :bouncy:

I met my wife-to-be in March of 1972, and we were married against her parents wishes in August of 1972. :smsex:

We got divorced in December 2000 after 28 years of marriage. :bash: Only her lawyer was happy. :readme: I thought I'd been screwin' for 28 years, but I didn't know the meaning of the word. :spchless:

One of the few things I could prove was mine before marriage was the pair of L100s, so I actually got to keep them. :dancin: We've been together for 33 years now, and we couldn't be happier. :yes: Faithful, trustworthy, nonjudging JBLs. Who luvs ya baby? :banana:

boputnam
09-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Titanium Dome
So what makes a great speaker? Sound? Robustness? Longevity? Sales/Popularity? Heritage? Place in audio history? In these forums, I'd think all of these would count. In that respect, the L100 is a clear winner. Man, the babes are getting all hot and bothered out here!! :banana:

But, are the L100's hidding behind the fern in your avatar, or...?? :slink:

bob newton
09-17-2004, 04:41 PM
College student in 70', Man you are as old as me. What have you got for an amp? By the way, I been there, done that and I managed to keep my L-100's too. sence about 72 when I bought them new along with a Sansui 9090. She got everything else.DILLIGAF?:cheers:

boputnam
09-17-2004, 04:45 PM
College student in 70's... Uh-oh... Me too. And I insisted my first wife TAKE the L100's! :rotfl:

Sorry, just goofin' around...

bob newton
09-17-2004, 04:54 PM
:die: Come on Bo, you just wish you had a pair! maybe I will give you one of my extras after I win the May drawing!

100 Mil people can't be wrong

boputnam
09-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Ha! You missed the last time I poked-out my puny little head on this issue - I actually am caretaker of three-pair amongst my wife's offsrping. They think they rock and look cool. Good ol' eBay has 'em ALL the time, at good price points.

I dread the day they realize there's the 43xx series, and the 44x series... :shock:

bob newton
09-17-2004, 05:45 PM
I have read one o them past trends and it seemed like a real big tug o war! Seems that they were really beating on ya! Tell me why the L-100's command big $$$ on ebay??And by the way, a friend o mine had L-100's and he just purchassed a pr of 4311's and he says the L-100's walked all over the 4311's. And I always thought they were the same. :cheers:

bob newton
09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Seems to me that the L-100's are still the JBL ticket!! Still the Hot ones!!! She's got a ticket to ride!:rockon1: :band: :dancin: :thmbsup:

Titanium Dome
09-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by boputnam

But, are the L100's hidding behind the fern in your avatar, or...?? :slink:

The L100s are in the fitness room, driven by an old Soundcraftsmen A400 amp. I use them mostly for club and dance tracks, with some classic hard rock thrown in. They've never missed a beat in all these years.

BTW, that's where I get my groove on :banana: to sublimate my primal urges. :banghead: