PDA

View Full Version : Need help with B-460 cabinet scratches/gouges

wsilva
11-18-2011, 10:19 PM
OK, Today I lucked into a sweet deal for a B-460 for 75$ !

Called the Craigslist ad and the seller said he had a offer for 75$ and the person would get it tomorrow, but if I came today I could have it for the same price:D.

The Cabinet is really not that bad, EXCEPT the left side which is deeply scratched with some deep (1/8"+) gouges.

What would be involved in re-veneering the damaged side, do I have to remove the old veneer, or can I apply new over old ??

I have never done veneer work before so it is all new to me.

Photo shows bad side.

Thanks for any help.5370953710

hjames
11-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Can't help you with the veneer question,

but wow ... just wow!

Kudos to you sir ... unobtainium at a superb price!

brutal
11-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Hooray for you!

Boo to the seller.

Hate to be that tomorrow guy.

BTW, did someone beat it with a chain or what???

You'll need to strip the veneer and redo it. The other option is to lightly sand, apply generous amounts of Howard's Restore-A-Finish and elbow grease with a 000 steel wool pad and see how it looks. If you live coastal, best to use scrotchbrite pads.

wsilva
11-19-2011, 12:10 PM
The seller said he got it out of a storage unit, it was stored on end and looks to have been slid around a lot for the damage that was done.

It does suck that someone would treat the speaker that way, but then I tell myself I would not have got it for 75 buckaroo's if it had been undamaged.

The seller actually was going to junk the cabinet the next day if the other person didnt show, he didnt think anyone would want it:blink:

I am going to start cleaning up the cabinet today, the grill cloth needs to be glued down in a couple of spots, and I have to order a refoam kit for the 2245H as the surround is shot.

The 2245H has the white cone on the backside which if I remember from other board posts is a early driver?...

5371753718 ...

rdgrimes
11-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Doesn't appear to be any obvious water damage, this is a plus and surprising for being a storage orphan.

I would be reluctant to tackle a re-veneer job but might consider just filling all the dings and painting. You could still re-veneer later. But many of those dings go all the way through the veneer.

Remember the day when "distressing" furniture was all the rage and people were using log chains? Well you got them all beat. A little sanding and refinishing might just make it look at least passable.

Lee in Montreal
11-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Congrats on your find.

If I were you, I wouldn't even try reveneer it. It could make more damages, unless the whole cabinet was stripped and reveenerd by a professional. Most likely not worth it.
Simply sand the cabinet to the best you can do with medium grit, then perhaps finish off with several coats of satin clear (gloss clear will show all imperfections). Clear, sand, clear, sand etc until you reach a nice even finish.

If you can find some quality spray can varnish, that will save you some time trying to sand runs... ;-)

wsilva
11-19-2011, 12:53 PM
What would be a good product to fill the gouges?

On another restoration thread I was just looking at, they mentioned using walnut putty.

Audiobeer
11-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Pull the driver and strip it. I can give you play by play on how to do it. Wish you were local. That's a weekend diamond in the rough refinish!! With stripper, an iron and a wet rag, a little filler, stain, it's amazing what the transformation will due. Ship it to me, I'll do it just to show you!

rdgrimes
11-19-2011, 01:45 PM
What would be a good product to fill the gouges?

On another restoration thread I was just looking at, they mentioned using walnut putty.
Trying to match filler color is a bitch cause you won't know the shade of the veneer till it's finished. Filler usually takes stain and finish differently than the veneer too, so there's that. You can easily wind up with a spotted cabinet that doesn't look any better than the dings do. I've had some success on JBL walnut by mixing a reddish maple with walnut filler.

The one thing you have going for you here is that you can do no harm. Just don't apply any finish will you're sure everything is the way you want it and stained right.