PDA

View Full Version : 4412 Rebuild

Paul_M
11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Hoping somebody will have a comment or advice. I have a pair of original 4412 monitors. I bought them new ~20 years ago. To my ears they seem to sound a bit scratchy these days. I have already had the woofer refoamed a few years back but that is not the cause certainly.

These speakers appear to have the 035ti tweets along with the N-4412 X-over. I'm thinking perhaps a recap of X-over and/or tweet update could be in order? I'v read that the foam under the dome sometimes disintegrates perhaps?

I believe the 035ti will be hard to find so are the 035tia tweets a direct replacement? Will there be any differences in specs (frequency range wise)? Also any thoughts on a recap of the X-over?

I used to love these speakers but lately they do so a bit harsher that usual. Hopefully not my hearing going south! I welcome any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!

PM

Robh3606
11-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Whens that last time you adjusted the level controls?? When you get a minute run them through their full range a couple of times and see if that helps. Those potentiometers get oxidized with age and that could be part of the problem.

Rob:)

Paul_M
11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Whens that last time you adjusted the level controls?? When you get a minute run them through their full range a couple of times and see if that helps. Those potentiometers get oxidized with age and that could be part of the problem.

Yeah I fogot that one - I'll give that a try. What about some cleaner (i.e. deoxit, etc.) on the pots? Not sure if there is any opening on them to get the cleaner in or not.

PM

Paul_M
11-19-2011, 12:01 AM

Well after cycling many times of both lpads it seems to be a bit smoother (less grainy). Any chance a rebuild of the N-4412 would help or hurt the situation? I'm guessing age gets to the caps after some amount of time? Not sure what the end result of bad caps on a X-over would be sonically though. Any input? Thanks.

Paul