PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4345 refurbished

Antoine69
11-06-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi all
Sorry, on the lats thread there was a little problem about the link
Please let you see the pics here:

It seems that this new french company have a real know-how in refurbishing JBL speakers.

regards
A69

JBL_620
11-06-2011, 12:30 PM
These speakers look amazing. I actually had never seen any JBL speakers before until I bought mine 250Ti ten months ago (never interested in getting into the hi fi stuffs in the past due to budget reason).

The very first time I saw the 4345 photos, I wanted them in my living roon (though I have no space for them:banghead:). They look big but I am not sure how big dimensions wise. I've spent quiet a bit of time searching for the 'for sale ads' on this baby and have learned that these are rare and expensive. I saw the listing on the Bay one time and location was France (maybe from the same company here?). I just love everything I see about these speakers.

Anyway, from their look I have no doubt about the sonic. Just wish I have a chance to listen to one of these in person.

Thanks for sharing the photos of the beauty. It surely is a nice way to start off your day.

BMWCCA
11-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi all
Sorry, on the lats thread there was a little problem about the link

It seems that this new french company have a real know-how in refurbishing JBL speakers.

Can't seem to find the "last thread", but if these are new-to-you, you're in for the thrill of a lifetime! :D

pos
11-06-2011, 04:23 PM
He (or a moderator) deleted his previous thread...

JBL_620
11-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Can't seem to find the "last thread", but if these are new-to-you, you're in for the thrill of a lifetime! :D

BMWCCA, the speaker in your avatar looks just like the attached photos except your faceplate is not blue. Is that a customer color or JBL also makes them in different color?

Do you still own them? I am so jealous of those who own these beauties.

Do you have physical dimensions of these speakers? Weight?

What kind of amps are you driving these with? Finally, how do they sound?

Thanks.

BMWCCA
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
There's a thread here (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?23615-JBL-4345-clones-for-sale-in-CT.&p=237711#post237711) that offered my set for sale and through which I found them. Here's the short version:

Cabinets were built by the Rick of KenRick Sound (http://jbl43.com/) and populated with mostly new or re-coned drivers by Dave of Katzass Audio (http://www.katzassaudio.com/home.html) along with his custom c.c. crossovers from the schematic posted here at LH. Dave sold them to NewZenith on this forum, who sold them to me about three years ago.

I believe Rick made three black-ash baffle 4345 sets (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?19956-4345-bliss./page2); this one, a complete one that was sold, and another not yet populated, and he kept another black ash baffle for himself to complete at a later date. The wood lenses are also from Rick/Kenji.

Physical dimensions are 43-5/16" x 30-1/8" x 18-1/2”, adding 2-inches to the depth when the grilles are installed. Net weight of the stock version was around 230-pounds each. That info is available here: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4345.pdf

Mine are bi-amped with an Ashly XR1001 electronic crossover into Crown DC300A-II and D150A-II amps. I've always intended to swap in my Crown PS-400 and PS-200 for their turn-on delay but just never got around to it.

They sound . . . just like I hoped they would: Authoritative low-end, nice punch in the mid-bass, accurate in the vocal range, and sizzling on the highs when required. It all blends well and the sound stage is captivating. Horns sound fantastic on horns and the 4-ways are an improvement over the other iconic JBL 3-way monitors that have always been my benchmark.

It's been a fun three years with these and I'm hoping for ten-times that into the future!

So, are those in the pics now yours??

JBL_620
11-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks for all the details and sharing your experience with them.
And I wish those in the photos are mine (though I won't have proper room/space for them to really sing). They'll just be my big dream for now.:)

Thanks.

There's a thread here (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?23615-JBL-4345-clones-for-sale-in-CT.&p=237711#post237711) that offered my set for sale and through which I found them. Here's the short version:

Cabinets were built by the Rick of KenRick Sound (http://jbl43.com/) and populated with mostly new or re-coned drivers by Dave of Katzass Audio (http://www.katzassaudio.com/home.html) along with his custom c.c. crossovers from the schematic posted here at LH. Dave sold them to NewZenith on this forum, who sold them to me about three years ago.

I believe Rick made three black-ash baffle 4345 sets (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?19956-4345-bliss./page2); this one, a complete one that was sold, and another not yet populated, and he kept another black ash baffle for himself to complete at a later date. The wood lenses are also from Rick/Kenji.

Physical dimensions are 43-5/16" x 30-1/8" x 18-1/2”, adding 2-inches to the depth when the grilles are installed. Net weight of the stock version was around 230-pounds each. That info is available here: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4345.pdf

Mine are bi-amped with an Ashly XR1001 electronic crossover into Crown DC300A-II and D150A-II amps. I've always intended to swap in my Crown PS-400 and PS-200 for their turn-on delay but just never got around to it.

They sound . . . just like I hoped they would: Authoritative low-end, nice punch in the mid-bass, accurate in the vocal range, and sizzling on the highs when required. It all blends well and the sound stage is captivating. Horns sound fantastic on horns and the 4-ways are an improvement over the other iconic JBL 3-way monitors that have always been my benchmark.

It's been a fun three years with these and I'm hoping for ten-times that into the future!

So, are those in the pics now yours??

Antoine69
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Theses speakers were refurbished by a French company: REV-JBL.
You can visit it's website here: rev-jbl.com (http://rev-jbl.com)
There are a lot of other speakers.
It seems that Kenrick sound has a new competitor all over the world!

:bouncy:

pos
11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
here he goes again...

Mr. Widget
11-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Theses speakers were refurbished by a French company...Hi Antoine, some members think you are posting an advertisement for this firm. There is nothing wrong in doing so, but if that is the case you should make that clear and you should post it in the Market Place area.

Widget

BMWCCA
11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi Antoine, some members think you are posting an advertisement for this firm.Same guy with the over-priced oddly-colored stuff on Ebay? "Your choice of color." :dont-know:

Antoine69
11-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Hi Antoine, some members think you are posting an advertisement for this firm. There is nothing wrong in doing so, but if that is the case you should make that clear and you should post it in the Market Place area.

Widget

Hi Widget,
It's not and advertisement, because i think this French company can't sell it's production because the shippment cost to US.
But , don't you share with me the idea that we have to write about everything beatiful concerning JBL stuff?

On this forum, many people write about "Kenrick" ' (see some post above in this thread!!)
Why is it so difficult for french people to share their know how, and work hand in hand with each other.

Antoine

Mr. Widget
11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
There is nothing wrong with sharing. It is the whole point of being here. I am not sure why you keep bring up Kenrick... they are not endorsed by this site. The firm was created by two members who discovered they had synergistic talents and interests. The reason that they show up here so often is the general high quality of their work and the fact that they are so prolific and they are also forum members.

We have several French forum members there is no reason why the people behind REV-JBL can't also join and share their interest in Lansing Heritage with us as well. I suppose there may be the language barrier, this isn't exclusively a North American site, but it does require some degree of familiarity with the English language.

Widget

CONVERGENCE
11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Here is a video shot with a Canon cam and a stereo Rode mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNy4YYct1pI

Enjoy

Antoine69
11-08-2011, 10:29 AM
There is nothing wrong with sharing. It is the whole point of being here. I am not sure why you keep bring up Kenrick... they are not endorsed by this site. The firm was created by two members who discovered they had synergistic talents and interests. The reason that they show up here so often is the general high quality of their work and the fact that they are so prolific and they are also forum members.

We have several French forum members there is no reason why the people behind REV-JBL can't also join and share their interest in Lansing Heritage with us as well. I suppose there may be the language barrier, this isn't exclusively a North American site, but it does require some degree of familiarity with the English language.

Widget
Ok
it's nice to be wellcome on this forum. And i think there is an equal work quality between the two companies.
Antoin

hjames
11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Same guy with the over-priced oddly-colored stuff on Ebay? "Your choice of color." :dont-know:

Well, I saw those a few months back and it looks like someone spent too much time tweaking the images in Adobe photoshop - "virtual" pictures aren't the same as photos of actual speakers - frankly, photoshop tweaks are considered cheating if there is no REAL picture shown.

Bad makeup does not beauty make ...

For the perspective -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4343-Studio-Monitor-/260768043741
US $11,415.00 - for a 4343! Really - check the link!!

And once you check the link, look at their other ebay "listings" -
all of them are way pricey and surreal looking!

THIS is not "too much tungsten light", this is gawdy photoshop tweaking

http://jbl.francis-blake.com/news/avril2011/h1.jpg

Allanvh5150
11-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Seems to me to be too much tungsten light with incorrect camera settings.

rdgrimes
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
THIS is not "too much tungsten light", this is gawdy photoshop tweaking

http://jbl.francis-blake.com/news/avril2011/h1.jpg

Worse than that, I suspect it's not a real photo at all. Look closely at the mid range lens, the perspective makes it look like it was pasted on. That image looks nothing like a photo.

hjames
11-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Worse than that, I suspect it's not a real photo at all. Look closely at the mid range lens, the perspective makes it look like it was pasted on. That image looks nothing like a photo.

Absolutely agreed. I spoke of "virtual" speaker photos and we both think there is no wood near these puppies...
I think its "we can do this and more for you if you furnish the money" type marketing ...

Allanvh5150
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
interesting, that pic was not even on the thread when I posted. I fear it must be a conspiracy........

Mr. Widget
11-08-2011, 05:52 PM
interesting, that pic was not even on the thread when I posted. I fear it must be a conspiracy........Yeah, I was wondering about all of the weird color and Photoshop talk myself... all I saw was a Tungsten lit shot with no correction. Here is a different use of Photoshop.

Widget

Allanvh5150
11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks Widget. :)

Eaulive
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
interesting, that pic was not even on the thread when I posted. I fear it must be a conspiracy........

Same here :blink:

BMWCCA
11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Here is a different use of Photoshop.Even the tablecloth looks cleaner now!

Robh3606
11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Here's a picture and my favorite quote

The second hand JBL speakers market is very dangerous, because

we have some people who sell copy, at high price, or speakers with electronical defects.
We suggest to make a valuation of speakers in two steps:
* At home, with eyes and ears .
* In our local technical for more investigation.
Quotation
At the end of the tests, we will give a scoring of the speakers, and eventually a purchase price.
We can too suggest to help the owner to sell the speakers, or, eventually, buy them.

Rob :) Theta Hun Ginjeet He held a gun to my head this is a dangerous place

grumpy
11-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I repeat myself when under stress,
I repeat myself when under stress...

It would be nice to see some real examples
of the shop's capabilities, well photographed.

That 4333-looking red job is pretty ... aggressive.

JeffW
11-08-2011, 07:45 PM
And I don't think it's an issue of people mentioning Kenrick on the site. "Kenrick" doesn't advertise their wares here, with the exception of the speaker cloth that was never really advertised under the Kenrick banner.

If Antoine69 is just a happy customer of RevJBL.com. then he should have no problem displaying the actual 4345 speakers in his system. If all he has is the stock photos from RevJBL, then that sort of points to a shill. Oui?

Allanvh5150
11-08-2011, 07:46 PM
I repeat myself when under stress,
I repeat myself when under stress...

It would be nice to see some real examples
of the shop's capabilities, well photographed.

That 4333-looking red job is pretty ... aggressive.

Too true Grumpy. I also like how the floral motif on the wall seems to blend with the cabinet. Or it may be one of those new fangled see through jobs.......

JeffW
11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Too true Grumpy. I also like how the floral motif on the wall seems to blend with the cabinet. Or it may be one of those new fangled see through jobs.......

I think it's a reflection off the piano red. And I like the jazz poster.

Allanvh5150
11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I think it's a reflection off the piano red. And I like the jazz poster.

Yup, you are right. The pattern reverses. But the "Jazz" poster.......better at your place than mine. :)

hjames
11-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Yup, you are right. The pattern reverses. But the "Jazz" poster.......better at your place than mine. :)
Agreed on that Jazz poster - ugh!

Eaulive
11-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Tough crowd :rotfl:

Jonis
11-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Tough crowd :rotfl:

It is. Really motivates me to post pictures here of my humble abode.:( Any chance of staying on topic?

hjames
11-09-2011, 08:54 AM
It is. Really motivates me to post pictures here of my humble abode.:( Any chance of staying on topic?

Post away - we're just here for the speakers anyhow ...

Mr. Widget
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
It is. Really motivates me to post pictures here of my humble abode.:( I generally avoid it myself... at least JeffW has an interior decorator, I could use one. :eek:

Any chance of staying on topic?What was the topic anyway?

It seems to me that someone discovered some folks who fix up vintage JBLs, he wanted to share his find and a bunch of folks are poking his find with a stick. As far as I can tell he posted pics of some pretty decent looking 4345s and for some reason people would rather talk about some goofy stuff they've seen elsewhere.:blink:

Widget

pos
11-09-2011, 09:41 AM
It seems to me that someone discovered some folks who fix up vintage JBLs, he wanted to share his find and a bunch of folks are poking his find with a stick. As far as I can tell he posted pics of some pretty decent looking 4345s and for some reason people would rather talk about some goofy stuff they've seen elsewhere.
He his promoting rev-jbl, which is the ebay seller some members where pointing here (including the flashy red 4333 speakers). And frankly, I am 90% sure he actually is the man behind rev-jbl (which is fine as you said, as long as he makes it clear from the start)

hjames
11-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Rev-JBL is the ebay ID of the company that posted the weird colorized monitors that I was calling virtual speakers
because they look like created images, rather than photos of real speakers ... its all on topic of the original firm ..

http://stores.ebay.com/REV-JBL

I generally avoid it myself... at least JeffW has an interior decorator, I could use one. :eek:

What was the topic anyway?

It seems to me that someone discovered some folks who fix up vintage JBLs, he wanted to share his find and a bunch of folks are poking his find with a stick. As far as I can tell he posted pics of some pretty decent looking 4345s and for some reason people would rather talk about some goofy stuff they've seen elsewhere.:blink:

Widget

Theses speakers were refurbished by a French company: REV-JBL.
You can visit it's website here: rev-jbl.com (http://rev-jbl.com/)
There are a lot of other speakers.

Mr. Widget
11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
He his promoting rev-jbl, which is the ebay seller some members where pointing here (including the flashy red 4333 speakers). And frankly, I am 90% sure he actually is the man behind rev-jbl (which is fine as you said, as long as he makes it clear from the start)I guess my feeling is if he is as you and several others suspect, then he is a liar plain and simple, but since there is no proof of that, I say we take him at his word.

Now, if you and others want to start a thread pointing out how ludicrous the eBay ads for that company are, that's fine by me.

Widget

Mr. Widget
11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Rev-JBL is the ebay ID of the company that posted the weird colorized monitors that I was calling virtual speakers
because they look like created images, rather than photos of real speakers ... its all on topic of the original firm ..Perhaps make that more clear? As in, maybe they can do great work, but it's too bad they don't show it. Or something even snarkier if you feel the need... without breaking our rules of course.

But why bother... so what if someone wants to test PT Barnum's famous quote.

Widget

hjames
11-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Perhaps make that more clear?
As in, maybe they can do great work, but it's too bad they don't show it.
Or something even snarkier if you feel the need... without breaking our rules of course.

Widget
Sorry - I just wanted to show the linkage to ebay and their store -
and the kind of thing their ads promoted -
the high prices and some of the flashy colors combos they presented -
I figured that pretty much said it all!

But non-standard color combinations aside -
the ebay ads would look better with high quality photos of actual speakers,
instead of the illustrations/simulations I found that are currently being used.

Antoine69
11-10-2011, 03:08 AM
because they look like created images, rather than photos of real speakers ... its all on topic of the original firm ..

http://stores.ebay.com/REV-JBL

Hi Sir

Please look at the image below and tell me if it's real or not!!

Antoine69
11-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Perhaps make that more clear? As in, maybe they can do great work, but it's too bad they don't show it. Or something even snarkier if you feel the need... without breaking our rules of course.

Widget

Hello Widget,

I want only share our French JBL stuff with members of the most world popular JBL Forum.

It's quite sure that the images on ebay are so, because color lacquering is on demand! It's just "color simulation" .

I was believing, maybe in my french dream about wonderful relationship with America, that American people could be proud of frenchies JBL worship! Afterall, JBL is an American brand, isn't it?

I m a bit disappointed, now:(:banghead:

Please accept my apologies, if you have thought about advertisement from REV-JBL.

Best regards
Antoine

Robh3606
11-10-2011, 05:09 AM
I want only share our French JBL stuff with members of the most world popular JBL Forum.

Hello Antoine

You should always put your best foot forward. Looking at what's on the site I wouldn't take it seriously. I see the simulations and to me they look like toys. If you have good quality photo's of your work or of their work that's what should be posted. I do not like those color schemes and frankly don't understand why anyone would want to take a pair of real JBL's and refinish them that way, as I see it it will not increase their value and may in fact do the opposite. They look like they are getting prepared for installation in a club with the cone guards and the colors.

Please keep posting more pictures if you have them. At least we can see what they really look like and get some idea of what the shop can do. There were some nice looking 4343 and 4333 in the photo. Were they refurbished as well?? Post some of those if you can and I think you will find a much more accepting audience on this site.

Rob:)

Hey19
11-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Hello Antoine

You should always put your best foot forward. Looking at what's on the site I wouldn't take it seriously. I see the simulations and to me they look like toys. If you have good quality photo's of your work or of their work that's what should be posted. I do not like those color schemes and frankly don't understand why anyone would want to take a pair of real JBL's and refinish them that way, as I see it it will not increase their value and may in fact do the opposite. They look like they are getting prepared for installation in a club with the cone guards and the colors.

Please keep posting more pictures if you have them. At least we can see what they really look like and get some idea of what the shop can do. There were some nice looking 4343 and 4333 in the photo. Were they refurbished as well?? Post some of those if you can and I think you will find a much more accepting audience on this site.

Rob:)

we at Lansing Heritage expect deep discounts.:D

richluvsound
11-10-2011, 09:50 AM

You have to be in the same league to compete ..... I seriously doubt thats the case . Kenrick don't use anything but , JBL parts . I see on the French website that some parts are not original . Fair enough if they are using ,TAD , Gotto , or Ale but their not .

This French outfit are obviously passionate about what they do ,but they have a long,long way to go to be able to stand next to Kenrick sound .

good luck to them , Rich

Antoine69
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
You have to be in the same league to compete ..... I seriously doubt thats the case . Kenrick don't use anything but , JBL parts . I see on the French website that some parts are not original . Fair enough if they are using ,TAD , Gotto , or Ale but their not .

This French outfit are obviously passionate about what they do ,but they have a long,long way to go to be able to stand next to Kenrick sound .

good luck to them , Rich

Sorry Sir,
you are wrong.

REV-JBL uses always original parts , and they are proud to defend that.
Their last 4345 are full original parts and cabinets too.
You'r of bad faith !!
Kenrick can get the Walnut Veneer. But it will be "WIDE GRAIN".
That is why Kenji in Japan does not show the sides to his speakers, he sells.
Maybe you don't know that:crying:!!
Please be sure of your investigations before writting anything wrong.

It will be better for each other to be side by side , more than rivalry.

And i repeat again, please verify all your informations.

Thanks for "good luck"
Antoine

pos
11-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Antoine, what is your relation with rev-jbl?
Are you a customer, or are you working there?

hjames
11-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi Sir

Please look at the image below and tell me if it's real or not!!

Its actually not sir, its mademoiselle ... women can be technical too!

Anyway, that was not one of the images that I was talking about 2 days ago that was posted to your eBay store and on your eBay ads.

But since its the image you posted, lets talk about this photo.

- Real or not, it is not a good picture because the top left side of the front baffle looks all blotchy/smeary. It could just be something reflected in the finish, or it might be sloppy work in photoshop - but taking large, well lit pictures in an area without a lot of other things would help . That's what I meant about GOOD pictures. Its not a van Gogh, its a loud speaker that people will want to see clearly!

You can get good lighting with a couple of floodlights on step-ladders or tripods - it can be done cheaply -
but you need a clear, not-busy space to take your clear pictures and if you want to make a good sale from online.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=53603&stc=1&d=1320919654

ratitifb
11-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Please look at the image below and tell me if it's real or not!!Real or not it doesn't matter, it's always :barf:

I do not like those color schemes and frankly don't understand why anyone would want to take a pair of real JBL's and refinish them that way, as I see it it will not increase their value and may in fact do the opposite.

:applaud:

REV-JBL uses always original parts Sorry to have some doubt about that after having seen this ebay member (francisX from rev-jbl) has purchased some aftermarket dia :dont-know:

In addition what about rev-jbl prices :eek::rotfl:

By the way pseudo frablake from this forum could tell more about rev-jbl :blah:

richluvsound
11-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Antione,

Sorry ... It said ,and I quote " some components have been changed " This is from the ebay ad for 4343 . What components ? perhaps you need to be more specific.

Wide Grain walnut ???? three kinds of commercial veneer . I have never heard of wide grain veneer .
All the JBL's I have seen have been veneered with crown cut . I maybe wrong ,but I'd like to think I know a little bit about wood .

Rich

BMWCCA
11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Kenrick can get the Walnut Veneer. But it will be "WIDE GRAIN".
That is why Kenji in Japan does not show the sides to his speakers, he sells.
Maybe you don't know that:crying:!!

I suppose our member here, SAEman, could answer that, if he was so inclined! ;)

Allanvh5150
11-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Wide grain veneer would usualy mean that the veneer is full width of the piece it is cut from. If you have a cabinet done in this way, there would be no visible joins in the veneer.

Allan.

Lee in Montreal
11-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I suggest hiring a talented photographer to take good shots of the refurbished speakers (that might very well be of the greatest quality). The funny pictures simply don't do them justice. :eek:

Quality pictures sell and honesty pays.

richluvsound
11-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Wide grain veneer would usualy mean that the veneer is full width of the piece it is cut from. If you have a cabinet done in this way, there would be no visible joins in the veneer.

Allan.

Thanks Allan,

thats what I thought ,but the terminology was new ... Crown cut as I know it. I'm pretty sure JBL would have used veneered sheet material .

http://www.tapeease.com/typesof.htm I guess this would be European terms .

Furthermore !

I know both Kenji and Rick . Should I win the lottery I would , with the utmost confidence , send them $15 k in advance for a pair of speakers without seeing any part of them ..... including the sides LOL ... really Antoine , thats a cheap shot . You cant' make your own candle burn brighter by blowing theirs out . I know how long a pair of speakers can sit waiting for the original parts ( mint condition ) before they can be sold . This is still a problem for two gentlemen sitting in the middle of the JBL spoil .

I have built from new , and refurbished a few pairs of 43 + 44 series monitors commercially . Its a very tough market . Kenji works bloody hard to market their speakers and the other one just sits in sawdust sipping single malt whiskey and planning European vacations with his much, much better half .

Seriously though, enjoy your JBL as we all do ,but put yourself up against them at your peril . I doubt they even know who you are ! The last time I saw Rick REV JBL didn't get mentioned.

Rich

pos
11-23-2011, 07:28 AM
http://vintage-jbl.forumpro.fr/t1446-jeu-des-7-erreurs

Lee in Montreal
11-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Here's what Rick and Kenji have to offer. Between these two guys, and the other one whose work was pictured in this thread, I wonder which ones I should entrust. ;)

hjames
11-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Here's what Rick and Kenji have to offer. Between these two guys, and the other one whose work was pictured in this thread, I wonder which ones I should entrust. ;)

Trust the guy in NY (Phil did!)
I think he's closer than either of the others!
(saves those cra-zee shipping charges from Europe or Asia!!)
;)

But I do so love Kenjii's showroom photos - just W O W!

DavidF
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Allan.

Taking that a bit further I am thinking OP is suggesting the veneer is rotary cut from the log which does give very wide grain appearance and is easier to work with on large section panels. This would be in contrast to something like a quarter cut (right angles to the rings) that gives a striped grain appearance but you have to lay up several sections across large panels and blend them for a cohesive appearance.

BMWCCA
11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Trust the guy in NY (Phil did!)
I think he's closer than either of the others!
(saves those cra-zee shipping charges Europe or Asia!!)
;)

The "guy in NY" trusted Rick to make the cabinets in the first place . . .
He wasn't happy about it, though I am.