PDA

View Full Version : LE-85 repairs

Brad Anbro
11-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Hello all,

I have a pair of JBL LE-85 mid-range drivers that are in need of servicing. They are from
my JBL Sovereign speaker systems. Could someone advise of a facility that could install
new diaphragms and bring them up to first-class condition?

Thank you very much for any help with this!

Brad Anbro
Roscoe, IL

ivica
11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Hello all,

I have a pair of JBL LE-85 mid-range drivers that are in need of servicing. They are from
my JBL Sovereign speaker systems. Could someone advise of a facility that could install

Brad Anbro
Roscoe, IL

I think you can do yourself, putting new JBL D16R2420 diaphragm or may be D16R2421 (titanium)
http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=10-252& (http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=10-252&Category_Code=)Category_Code= (http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=10-252&Category_Code=)

or their service:
http://www.speakerrepair.com/services.html

Mr. Widget
11-03-2011, 08:54 AM
I think you can do yourself, putting new JBL D16R2420 diaphragm or may be D16R2421 (titanium) It can be done by anyone, however, great care must be taken and some skill is required to get the best results. The D16R2420 diaphragm is obsolete and no longer available from JBL. The D16R2421 is not titanium. It is aluminum like the original LE-85 diaphragm but has the newer JBL diamond surround. The D16R2425 is the titanium version. It is less costly and more robust, but many of us do not like the sound as well as the aluminum.

Widget

ivica
11-10-2011, 02:41 AM
....... The D16R2421 is not titanium. It is aluminum like the original LE-85 diaphragm but has the newer JBL diamond surround. The D16R2425 is the titanium version. .....

Widget

Yes, You are right, I made a MISTAKE.
As I remember, these aluminum 'diamond-shape surround' is sensitive to large volume operation ???

Rolf
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Yes, you can install new diaphragms yourself. Just remember to clean the gap over and over adain until you are sure it is perfectly clean. Then innsall them. Use a test tone. (I guess about 2-3 KhHz) if nothing bad is heard it is ok. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Hello all,

Brad Anbro
Roscoe, IL

grumpy
11-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Each driver has a suggested sweep range and amplitude.
Knowledge of both is helpful. A single tone frequency would
probably not pick out any but the most egregious problems.

Rolf
11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
OK, I did this replacing the diaphragm in my 2420, same as the LE85 and they worked perfectly after that. Some years ago.:) Using that method. Cleaning, cleaning and then inserted the new ones.

Each driver has a suggested sweep range and amplitude.
Knowledge of both is helpful. A single tone frequency would
probably not pick out any but the most egregious problems.

Brad Anbro
11-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Hello all,

I was wrong about the model number of the mid-range drivers that I have which are in need
of repair. The correct model number of these units is LE-175. I am going to check out the
company that was suggested (Orange County Speaker) and see if they can recondition my
drivers.

Brad Anbro

cohearent
11-30-2011, 10:46 PM
OCS does great work. I have used them for recones. But you can just buy the diaphragms for your LE175s from them and put them in yourself. I takes care, but isn't magic. I have been doing it for years.

Maron Horonzakz
12-01-2011, 08:29 AM
THE LE 175 and Le 85 use the same diaphram..Installation is easy.. Even a cave man can do it..

Mr. Widget
12-01-2011, 10:43 AM
THE LE 175 and Le 85 use the same diaphragm...Not the same, but they are physically interchangeable.

Installation is easy.. Even a cave man can do it..Sometimes...

Sometimes the guide pins work and the diaphragm slides in without a hitch and sometimes you need to be a talented pro to make it fit properly and other times you need to be a legitimate repair shop so that you can send the brand new and yet out-of-round voicecoil back to JBL for a warranty replacement.

Widget

JeffW
12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
At least the caveman wouldn't have to worry about his stone screwdriver getting sucked into his new diaphragm.

hjames
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
At least the caveman wouldn't have to worry about his stone screwdriver getting sucked into his new diaphragm.

That's why you need a sonic screwdriver!
(plastic or ceramic)

Robh3606
12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
For what a pair of replacements is going to cost you, and the simple fact that if you don't have them do it you have no warrantee, the extra $20 bucks is well worth it. Just drop off your drivers. When you come back they will be good as new.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
For what a pair of replacements is going to cost you, and the simple fact that if you don't have them do it you have no warrantee, the extra $20 bucks is well worth it. Just drop off your drivers. When you come back they will be good as new.

Rob:)I agree 100%. I have done my own and for friends a number of times, but if you have an authorized repair facility near you, it is well worth it. If they screw it up, they fix it... and this is the only way to get a JBL warranty.

Widget