PDA

View Full Version : Aquaplas, what can be used to recover the colour?

Flodstroem
09-13-2004, 05:54 PM
I am an owner of some older LE8t´s and PR8´s

The colour of the cones are very faded and miscoloured. What to do to get the whitish back to these beautifully drivers ? Painting ?

Made a search on the Furum but didn´t find much, only a "small" thread from mr "gyusher"

Is there anybody else who have done this restoration of aquaplas ?

I appreciate any "cosmetic" tip.

Regards

Don C
09-13-2004, 08:32 PM
I was able to take some coffee stains off of one once by just using a damp sponge. You dont want to soak the cone, but a little bit of moisture while cleaning doesnt seem to hurt.

Flodstroem
09-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Thankīs DonC for answering.

I read your information in an earlier thread and I had already tried that. The problem is that the whitish aquaplas seems to have disappeared or have loosened so you could see the colour of the cone material/paper. Not clearely , but enough to have the cones whitish aquaplas miscoloured (of course, together with some 30-40 years dirt).

I will try to contact a painter here in my home town to see if he could get me some good tip for a suitable type of colour. The thing I must be aware of is not to ad to much weight to the cone because the LE8Tīs cone is originaly a very ligth weighting cone

Regards

Titanium Dome
09-17-2004, 12:28 PM
I'd recommend using a dry fog paint, one that dries on contact. It's very light and it carries very little moisture to the surface it covers, so you don't have to worry about it soaking into the cone material.

You'll need to remove the driver from the enclosure, of course, and cover up any part of the speaker you don't want to affect, such as the surround. The blue masking tape from 3M is ideal for this.

Flodstroem
09-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Titanium Dome

I appreciate your answer, but I am not so familiar with that name for a type of colour , eg. "dry fog paint" ?.

I would appreciate if you could explain
to me exactly what kind of (type of) paint you recommend ?

I guess it is a type of paint they sell in a spray-can, and you have to shake it well before using it, right or wrong ?

Thanks for bothering

Regards

Titanium Dome
09-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Sure, no problem.:)

Dry fog paint is specially formulated to dry quickly. Usually its drying characterisitics are described in feet. So, for eaxmple, a dry fog paint might have a spraying distance of 8-10' (2.44-3.05 meters) depending on temperature, humidty, etc. What that means is that you would spray the paint from 6 or 7' (1.82-2.13m) away, and it would be dry within a second or so of contact on the painted surface.

If you sprayed it from 12' (3.66m) away, it would be dry before it hit the surface, and it would fall to the floor like dust.

Do a Google search for "dry fog paint" and you'll be surprised at how much information there is, including the names of manufacturers.

I've used it very successfully on celing panels in restaurants, hospitals, computer rooms and other areas where there was sensitive equipment and the paint needed to adhere quickly without causing a mess. That requied light volume, excellent adhesion, and complete coverage in a thin coat.

MJC
09-19-2004, 05:43 AM
I notice that you have the Performance Series. How do they sound? I've read a number of reviews on them, but as yet, have not even seen a set here in Nevada, much less had a chance to hear them.
Have you ever heard a set of L212s? If so, how do they compare?

Titanium Dome
09-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by MJC
I notice that you have the Performance Series. How do they sound? I've read a number of reviews on them, but as yet, have not even seen a set here in Nevada, much less had a chance to hear them.
Have you ever heard a set of L212s? If so, how do they compare?

I promise I'll start a thread in the regular forums soon. ;)

Yes, I've heard the L212s. Very nice.