PDA

View Full Version : 2360 and 4560 woofer dilemma

vernb
10-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi There

I have made a nice 2-way system with JBL 2360 horns and 2445J drivers + JBL 4560 cabinets with 2226 woofers.

I crossover with JBL ASC-24 electronic crossover at 1000hz. So far so good....

The 2226 woofers sound absolutely awesome in the 4560 cabs, but are not at all meant to or happy about being mounted the other way around behind the horns. They have too much movement, and not a high enough frame to prevent the suspension from hitting the cabinets. I thought I would solve the problem by putting in JBL E-140 woofers instead. Well and I did, but they do not sound anywhere near as good as the 2226 for plain stereo music (which they weren't meant in the first place, I know).

So could I make ring of some kind to solve the problem with over excursion and still use 2226 in 4560?

grumpy
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
If outside professional use, then sure... a ring and longer bolts.
(make sure rear vents are clear).

I used that same combination without driving the 2226Hs so hard
and they were fine (and quite clean and loud). Perhaps I did not
EQ up the bottom so much?

vernb
10-18-2011, 12:24 AM
If outside professional use, then sure... a ring and longer bolts.
(make sure rear vents are clear).

I used that same combination without driving the 2226Hs so hard
and they were fine (and quite clean and loud). Perhaps I did not
EQ up the bottom so much?

Thanks I'll try that. It's for home use in a 4x5m room. So they won't play that loud.
I even thought about just changing the foam ring at the edge, to one or two cork rings like on the older woofers. It might be enough.

I also have a pair of JBL D140R (the organ bass driver with paper cap) that I could try in the 4560 cabinets.

subwoof
10-18-2011, 05:59 AM
the factory 4560's, which are actually not that common since many many clones were made, had a recess routed onto the baffle plate ( most clone makers didn't bother! ) to allow long excursion of the OLD generation woofers.. The newer ones will need a spacer of about 3/8 inch to accomodate them.

however if you are getting the cone to move that much, you need some bass cabinets.

those are pretty useless below 90Hz and without proper loading / HP filters, most any cone will "unload" and flop around causing over-excursion and damage.

mikebake
10-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I use 2226 in 4560's factory boxes and have never had a problem that I am aware of, and I run them loud outside. I don't boost LF, and often roll it off to subs.