PDA

View Full Version : 104H dust cap replacement.

JBL_620
10-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Hello, my fist post. Great forum.

So one of my 104H (poly material) midrange has pushed-in dust cap. One authorized JBL shop I called said they can replace the cap with same material for $35.

Is this true that it is doable? Just wanted to see if anyone has done this before. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Allanvh5150
10-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Hi and welcome. Yes, this is very doable. there should be no problems at all for the service centre.

Allan.

JBL_620
10-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Hi and welcome. Yes, this is very doable. there should be no problems at all for the service centre.

Allan.

Thank you Allanvh5150 for confirming that. I was not sure if these specific dust caps are still being made today.
Do you know if they'll remove the defective dust cap or they will just install a new cap over the old one? Thanks.

Paul

Allanvh5150
10-10-2011, 04:23 AM
they will remove the old one I would hope,

Allan.

doyall
10-10-2011, 08:26 AM
... I was not sure if these specific dust caps are still being made today. ...

Dust caps are not listed on JBL's parts list ( http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/pdf_nav_parts%20lists.html ) so the presumption is they are no longer being made by/for JBL. I tried getting some several years ago from JBL and was told they were no longer available. That doesn't mean that they no longer exist as an aftermarket item or new old stock somewhere. JBL sold me some paper ones instead that I used on some 104-H's. I doubt seriously anyone can detect a sonic difference with the naked ear and visually there is not that much difference. Extremely easy to replace if you are so inclined. I would do it myself with the paper ones before I would pay someone $35 to do it, even if it is with the aluminum ones. As an alternative you can probably find a non-functional LE5-x transducer with an aluminum dome and carefully remove it for re-use cheaper than your shop quote. I have done that as well on other applications.

JBL_620
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks doyall for the parts link and suggestion. Just found out the shop will not be using the factory part but they'll find one in the shop that should match the stock - at least that's what they told me.

The paper cap will not work for me as I need to have both sides matched and the other mid range is still in perfect cond.