PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my floor

jaybird
10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I have just recently joined the 4430 club and I don't know what to do with them. They are down stairs on carpet on cement floor. If i'm playing them at 70-8odb, the wife upstairs can't really hear them but the bass takes over and makes her go nuts! Any suggestions on a fix for this? I'm tired of just looking at them.

Lee in Montreal
10-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Separate houses?

richluvsound
10-09-2011, 04:46 AM
BUY AN iPOD !

Lee in Montreal
10-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Keeping bass from going thru the floor/ceiling and home structure will be costly. Basically you need to build a completely insulated space. Perhaps you can measure what part of spectrum reaches the ther part of the house and work at insulating this specific range. Or play music at lower level or when your other half is gone shopping...

cooky1257
10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Buy another pair for upstairs and run them in anti-phase!

more10
10-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Active bass absorbers?

spkrman57
10-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Build a small sandbox filled with a few inches of sand. The spkr would sit in the sandbox which would dampen the bass to the floor.

Bruce Edgar came up with the idea when he had his house build and found that the suspended floor killed his bass.

Ron sends...

spkrman57
10-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Just reread OP's post and read "cement" floor.

Not sure if my idea would work or not....(?)

Ron

jaybird
10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Would spikes reduce the amount of energy being transfered? My 4530's didn't have this problem, but then they didn't the bass either.

Mr. Widget
10-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Would spikes reduce the amount of energy being transfered? My 4530's didn't have this problem, but then they didn't the bass either.Years ago I had a problem with my speakers causing massive feedback through my turntable. I put the speakers on 2" thick urethane foam slabs. I didn't notice any change in the sound from the speakers, but it did a great job of decoupling them from the floor. Foam is cheap... you might give it a try.

Widget

Andyoz
10-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Get rid of the wife!! :)

Eaulive
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Get rid of the wife!! :)

Definitely!
Or give her your credit card and send her to the mall on a regular basis :D

Lee in Montreal
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Definitely!
Or give her your credit card and send her to the mall on a regular basis :D

I suggest allowing her to have a lover. The benefits will be twofold. First she will often be away, therefore you can play your music as loud as you want. And when she'll be back, she will be more relax and won't probably even comment on the bass emanating from the basement...

Any picture of you wife? :D

JBLAddict
10-13-2011, 08:55 AM
boy, this thread has some real gems :)

might be cause to start a "hall of fame posts" thread.

I'd start with one member recommending another to have his wife take a lover, and then ask for a picture of her. Second would probably be Dome carrying his PT800s into Magnolia and confronting "Skip" the manager to run a speaker-off against Sonus, ML...

I subscribe to a sports forum that does this and it's a blast

1audiohack
10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I have just recently joined the 4430 club and I don't know what to do with them. They are down stairs on carpet on cement floor. If i'm playing them at 70-8odb, the wife upstairs can't really hear them but the bass takes over and makes her go nuts! Any suggestions on a fix for this? I'm tired of just looking at them.

Does she enjoy your music? Is this in one particular room?

Our shop stereo that has six subs drones bass into the offices here, the fix was a pair of small speakers for the office to put voice back into it and it actually sounds nice and full, everyone is happy again.

louped garouv
10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Does she enjoy your music? Is this in one particular room?

Our shop stereo that has six subs drones bass into the offices here, the fix was a pair of small speakers for the office to put voice back into it and it actually sounds nice and full, everyone is happy again.

that was a brilliant solution!

1audiohack
10-19-2011, 09:49 PM
that was a brilliant solution!

How very nice of you to say.

Thank you,
Barry.