PDA

View Full Version : Harman Trailer Listening Room comes to Tyson's Corner VA

hjames
10-08-2011, 01:56 PM
JBL fans converged on Evolution Audio today at noon to check out the Harman Mobile Listening Room!

Hard to get pictures in the home theater room in the back, but in the front room we have attentive fans
Front row, from left to right, Emma, Tea, Wilfredo, Opimax (Mark), Liam, and his dad Steve.

tom1040
10-08-2011, 03:18 PM
How did those Revel speakers sound? Looks like it was fun. I doubt they would visit Bar Harbor but that would be awesome if they took a road trip. Leaves are turning..:)

hjames
10-08-2011, 05:42 PM
How did those Revel speakers sound? Looks like it was fun. I doubt they would visit Bar Harbor but that would be awesome if they took a road trip. Leaves are turning..:)

Well, it was a lot of fun - There were actually 3 systems we listened to.

The first was the most amazing. Chris (one of the Harman reps) told us about multi-room home music systems - there was a small box that was 1000watts of amp - basically 8x125w/ch. They used that to run a pair of small, in wall 2 way revel speakers.
They played 2 songs through them - one was Elvis (?)(if not Elvis, then an impersonator or brother) doing Fever!, followed by Dallas Symphony playing March of the Wooden Soldiers ... unbelievable dynamics for small in-wall speakers. Emma was hugely amazed at the in wall speakers - astonishing pieces for $750 pair.

Next we turned in the chairs for the big black Revell speakers. For them, they played 3 pieces of music; 1st, an acapella group the Fairfield Four; then a Boz Scaggs piece; and a very dynamic Janis Ian piece ... The hardware for that listening fest was a $15k Mark Levinson CD player and the two Mark Levinson Monoblocks, feeding the Revel 4 way speakers speakers (at $22k/pair). I only give prices because the two Harman guys made a point of stating them. Anyway, the speakers sounded very nice with deep bass on the Boz Scaggs piece, and very crisp with all the instrument in the Janis Ian piece ... and vocals were astonishing in the acapela song ... but - it wasn't the huge leap beyond our home systems I would have expected. It was a subtle evolution - then again, we were in a movable wall trailer without the solidity of a concrete slab underneath or the robust walls of most of our homes.

of course, the final demo was the synthesis system in the home theater room of the trailer ...
A brief bit of Animated film Rattatoie - with the old lady and the shotgun blasting around the house ... amazing surrounds ...
Then a part of the Crossroad festival from Chicago - BB King, Clapton and a band of others playing The Thrill is Gone ...
Also very nice - but ... at a quoted price of $150k worth of gear ... it just wasn't a life changing experience ...
Then again - I have to say, it was a very nice trailer with bump out walls,
I have to believe it would have been better in TiDome's place, or our forum member's amazing listening space in Mexico!
Solid massive walls would have made a difference!

Robh3606
10-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Wow that looks like fun! How did you know it was coming? Do they post a schedule of where they will be making an apperance?? Did you find out through the grapevine from the local store??

Rob:)

hjames
10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow that looks like fun! How did you know it was coming? Do they post a schedule of where they will be making an apperance?? Did you find out through the grapevine from the local store??

Rob:)

I'd never been to that store before - but Wilfredo stays connected with a lot of that stuff - he sent us all an email sept 24 that the Mobile soundroom was coming Oct 7/8th ...
We all work Fridays, so today was better date - and - I'm pretty sure we'd read about some of the Forum folks who saw the Mobile showroom at the Rocky Mountain Audio fest, I think it was - so it seemed like it could be fun ...
We got there around Noon so Emma and I were the first to walk in ...
I think the Harman guys were suspicious when we obviously knew each other (grin) ...

svollmer
10-09-2011, 02:32 AM
I agree with Heather that the high point (at least for me) was the in-wall speakers. The boxes they have around them are to simulate the volume of a typical stud bay you'd find in a wall. Although the host, Chris, said that the boxes were the minimum volume needed for the speakers to sound good and the angled baffles were to simulate the infinite baffle of a wall (no edge diffraction).

svollmer
10-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Below are a few more pictures. The first one is the one Heather referenced about a 1Kw amp. The equipment was Lexicon.

svollmer
10-09-2011, 02:37 AM

svollmer
10-09-2011, 02:43 AM
The K2 S9900 and an S2S 15" subwoofer (the room had 4!).

svollmer
10-09-2011, 02:48 AM
I noticed the truck had a "gomra.com" license plate frame. Apparently, the truck was put together by a company that specializes in doing demo trucks for companies. Here's a link to their site for those interested. Whodda thunk? http://www.gomra.com/

svollmer
10-09-2011, 02:53 AM
And a couple from inside Evolution Audio. Very nice people with very nice rooms and equipment. But, it's so quiet inside; they need to play some tunes. :bouncy:

BMWCCA
10-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Not that I could have made it (I work every Saturday), but it would be nice for Harman to make the schedule more accessible.

After some creative Googling I came up with this link: http://www.soundthatstirsthesoul.com/harman/e/default.aspx?bid=5&id=4

Wednesday October 12 at Audio Classics (http://www.soundthatstirsthesoul.com/harman/e/EventDetail.aspx?eid=799&bid=5&id=4) in Vestal, NY.

Looks like the first week in November is for you guys in Seattle and Portland! :thmbsup:

tom1040
10-09-2011, 06:33 AM
In the last picture is the Marantz reference gear. Well, whadda' know! Who would have thought that?:dont-know:

BMWCCA
10-09-2011, 10:15 AM
In the last picture is the Marantz reference gear. Well, whadda' know! Who would have thought that?:dont-know:

Not in the Harman trailer, of course!

Allanvh5150
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I agree with Heather that the high point (at least for me) was the in-wall speakers. The boxes they have around them are to simulate the volume of a typical stud bay you'd find in a wall. Although the host, Chris, said that the boxes were the minimum volume needed for the speakers to sound good and the angled baffles were to simulate the infinite baffle of a wall (no edge diffraction).

The average gap in the wall space here in NZ is 2.7l. This cabinet looks a lot larger than that so it is not really a fair test.

Allan.

BMWCCA
10-09-2011, 12:41 PM
The average gap in the wall space here in NZ is 2.7l. This cabinet looks a lot larger than that so it is not really a fair test.

Allan.
My assumption was the box was to replicate the space within the wall studs including between the blocking. So if you have 16-inch spacing on a 9-foot ceiling height with blocking half-way up, you'd be left with a space 16-inches wide by the width of the framing material (about 3.5-inches here in the USA) over the 4.5-foot (54-inch) height of the cavity. Would come to just under two-cubic-feet. That's about what they're showing.

Allanvh5150
10-09-2011, 12:56 PM
My assumption was the box was to replicate the space within the wall studs including between the blocking. So if you have 16-inch spacing on a 9-foot ceiling height with blocking half-way up, you'd be left with a space 16-inches wide by the width of the framing material (about 3.5-inches here in the USA) over the 4.5-foot (54-inch) height of the cavity. Would come to just under two-cubic-feet. That's about what they're showing.

Maybe true for the US but dwangs in NZ generally have the 16" spacing as well. The space is 550mm x 550mm x 90mm.

Allan.

hjames
10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Maybe true for the US but dwangs in NZ generally have the 16" spacing as well. The space is 550mm x 550mm x 90mm.

Allan.
Not to belabour the obvious, but ...

the Harman trailer goes around to US cities to promote the gear for the US market.
It didn't look like the were promoting it for the NZ market, so your point is moot.

Allanvh5150
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM

the Harman trailer goes around to US cities to promote the gear for the US market.
It didn't look like the were promoting it for the NZ market, so your point is moot.

But a point none the less....

SEAWOLF97
10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Looks like the first week in November is for you guys in Seattle and Portland! :thmbsup:

thanx

my visit is TBD as is Details

audiomagnate
10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I was in that truck in Las Vegas. For the home theater demo they played a scene from "Open Range" that had the most realistic gun shots I've ever heard. That's the same music they were using for demos back in January, I'm sure they're a little sick of it now.

BMWCCA
10-09-2011, 03:23 PM

I think (at least I interpreted it this way) Allen's point was that the box was deeper than the standard wall cavity depth. My point, trying to explain the box size, was that it was simply sized to replicate the entire cubic capacity of the wall cavity between the vertical framing members, not the actual dimensions. Cubic capacity versus linear measurement. But then we do have a bit of Tower-of-Babble issues with the rest of the English speaking world, especially those who speak English but measure in Metric.
:banghead:

Just kidding, of course. I much prefer the Metric system and "G'day!" sounds a lot more erudite to me than "Wassup?".

hjames
10-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Right - if you look at the pictures from the virtual tour of the Audiophile room on the Harman site, those speakers in-wall aren't even there. There were small boxes attached to the wall with angles sides to avoid making it sound too boxy. The JBL HT-288 in wall woofers I had for a wall were similar - the depth of a 2x4 walls space, 16 inches on center, height from floor up to a firestop ...
But they may be tuned differently for overseas markets- the brochure says they test it with real ears - :) - not just spec-driven designs.

I think (at least I interpreted it this way) Allen's point was that the box was deeper than the standard wall cavity depth. My point, trying to explain the box size, was that it was simply sized to replicate the entire cubic capacity of the wall cavity between the vertical framing members, not the actual dimensions. Cubic capacity versus linear measurement. But then we do have a bit of Tower-of-Babble issues with the rest of the English speaking world, especially those who speak English but measure in Metric.
:banghead:

Just kidding, of course. I much prefer the Metric system and "G'day!" sounds a lot more erudite to me than "Wassup?".

tom1040
10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Not in the Harman trailer, of course!

Right:confused:

Not a fan?

BMWCCA
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Right:confused:

Not a fan?
Nothing to do with whether I'm a fan or not. Your first post suggested to me that you found it odd that a Harman demo was using Marantz amps. I was just pointing out the shot was from the showroom of the sponsoring dealer and not the Harman truck.

Sorry if I misunderstood. :o:

svollmer
10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Nothing to do with whether I'm a fan or not. Your first post suggested to me that you found it odd that a Harman demo was using Marantz amps. I was just pointing out the shot was from the showroom of the sponsoring dealer and not the Harman truck.

Sorry if I misunderstood. :o:

Phil is correct. I should have labeled the pictures better; my apologies. The two pictures in post #11 were from inside Evolution Audio in Tyson's Corner, Virginia - http://evolutionav.com

The first picture shows a Magico/Simaudio/VTL system. The second shows an Audio Research/Marantz/Revel/Ariel (I think) double systems.

Titanium Dome
10-09-2011, 05:01 PM
The K2 S9900 and an S2S 15" subwoofer (the room had 4!).

Ah, well I've got two K2 S9900s with two S2S subs in my little two-channel set up at home. Maybe with some judicious purchases I can upgrade to a K2 full surround system. ;)

brutal
10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Looks like Harmon (sans trailer) is displaying at the next RMAF (Oct 14-16).

Maybe a good opportunity for JuniorJBL to check out how the real 1400 Arrays compare to his great build.

http://audiofest.net/2011/exhibitors_profile.php?gbID=1314&Sid=1a808bdc073e51a415f8d0de12f3a6e3

For RMAF 2011, we will be exhibiting the following:

Room #8020
"The Science of Sound by Dr. Sean Olive"

Featuring the Revel F52 floorstanding speakers for the loudspeaker listening source, Dr. Sean Olive will educate you about the science behind the development, measurement and subjective evaluation of Harman audio products. Seating is limited, so please make sure to secure your spot!

Room #8024
"Luxury Audio Group Exclusive Demo"

Featuring Mark Levinson electronics, the Revel Studio2 floorstanding speakers and the JBL Synthesis 1400 Array floorstanding speakers, come hear an extraordinary demo to find out what we have to offer you! Seating is limited, but don't miss out on listening to one of our finest demo presentations.

For more information about the HARMAN Luxury Audio Group brands represented at the show, visit our websites:

www.marklevinson.com (http://www.marklevinson.com)

www.revelspeakers.com (http://www.revelspeakers.com)

www.jblsynthesis.com (http://www.jblsynthesis.com)

www.lexicon.com (http://www.lexicon.com) -- Lexicon will not be featured at RMAF.

hmolwitz
10-20-2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.soundthatstirsthesoul.com/harman/e/default.aspx?bid=5&id=5

Pittsburgh; Seattle and Portland coming soon.

Harry

hjames
10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Harman Kardon is the Audio brand

(easy mnemonic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic) - 1st name ends AN, 2nd name ends ON)

Harman Kardon

(Mark) Harmon is the guy on NCIS (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001319/) ...
(yep, I typoed it as NSIC/CSI/whatevah - I never watch any of that Investigative schlock)

SEAWOLF97
10-20-2011, 09:29 AM
(Mark) Harmon is the guy on NSIC (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001319/) ...

on Navy Criminal Investigative Service ?

(it was just NIS when they interrogated me )

Harman Kardon is the Audio brand

(easy mnemonic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic) - 1st name ends AN, 2nd name ends ON)

Harman Kardon

also see:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?7477-Ad-Of-The-Day&p=320241&viewfull=1#post320241

or this:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?7477-Ad-Of-The-Day&p=320163&viewfull=1#post320163

seems kommon to make weird name kombos from the HK name.

hjames
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
It may be common for the unwashed Craiglisters and Ebrayers to make such mistakes,
but the folks here are generally fans of Harman and the related audio companies,
we're supposed to care and make an effort to get it right.

You know, this being Lansing Heritage and all of that ...

But typoing a TV show's title, really, who could care less??

on Navy Criminal Investigative Service ?

Mr. Widget
10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
It may be common for the unwashed Craiglisters and Ebrayers to make such mistakes,
but the folks here are generally fans of Harman and the related audio companies,
we're supposed to care and make an effort to get it right.My college educated mom who was from West Texas thought it cute to make stupid mistakes... much in the vein of W's repeated use of nucular when he meant nuclear. Personally I don't get it. Why would anyone want to appear less than they are?

Back on topic. We've tried to get the Harman truck to come out for several events... it is a good showcase for the Harman brands and is often available. Unfortunately logistically we haven't been able to coordinate schedules with the truck crew yet.

Widget

edgewound
10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
My college educated mom who was from West Texas thought it cute to make stupid mistakes... much in the vein of W's repeated use of nucular when he meant nuclear. Personally I don't get it. Why would anyone want to appear less than they are?

Widget

Jimmah Cahteh was the first to use the nomenclature, "nuculah"...and he is a Nuclear Physicist.

JeffW
10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Why would anyone want to appear less than they are?

It's handy when ambushing people who want to appear more than they are.

Mr. Widget
10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Jimmah Cahteh was the first to use the nomenclature, "nuculah"...and he is a Nuclear Physicist.An odd point to make, but regardless of who ever makes that mistake it hardly reflects well on them. My point however had little to do with one of the errors of one of our past presidents, but the idea that the intentional misuse of English as being somehow considered "folksy" or "cute" isn't either.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
10-20-2011, 02:42 PM

that's one of the things I've never quite understood ..... if a person is going to the trouble to make a CL or eBay ad (and maybe pay for it) ...why don't they proof it before submitting ??

We've all read stories of fantastic bargains on eBay on a sale where the item was misspelled and no search found that auction. Really, it's in a persons best interest to make sure an ad is correct...and if you have the item in front of you ... just copy what the nameplate says ...

I too thought that messed up versions of Harman Kardon were mostly a CL phenomena , but it's endemic to the entire World Wide Web ...just Google some of the odd versions and you will get plenty of hits.

hjames
10-20-2011, 02:42 PM
It worked well for Mark Twain, but none of us are the writer he was!
Plus I don't think he'd be a pleasant addition to a forum like this - whew! ;)

An odd point to make, but regardless of who ever makes that mistake it hardly reflects well on them. My point however had little to do with one of the errors of one of our past presidents, but the idea that the intentional misuse of English as being somehow considered "folksy" or "cute" isn't either.

Widget

Mr. Widget
10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Plus I don't think he'd be a pleasant addition to a forum like this - whew! ;)

We dodged that bullet!:D

Widget

brutal
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I guess it's too much to expect anyone to be more concerned with the content and intent of the post than nitpicking a typo for cryin out loud.

Typical BS from the LHF cronies.

HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON

hjames
10-21-2011, 11:28 AM
But didn't you get them at the LAST RMAF too?
We didn't get Harmo at either last year or this years Capital Audio Show ...

Looks like Harmon (sans trailer) is displaying at the next RMAF (Oct 14-16).

I guess it's too much to expect anyone to be more concerned with the content and intent of the post than nitpicking a typo for cryin out loud.

Typical BS from the LHF cronies.

HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON HARMON

SEAWOLF97
10-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Event is Tuesday, today is Saturday and details NOT set up yet ?

Portland LAG Truck Event
Tuesday, November 1st
Details are TBD

http://www.soundthatstirsthesoul.com/harman/e/EventDetail.aspx?bid=5&eid=801&id=4

Tuesday, November 1st

Details are TBD

SEAWOLF97
10-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Event is Tuesday, today is Saturday and details NOT set up yet ?

Portland LAG Truck Event
Tuesday, November 1st
Details are TBD

so event is tomorrow ,,,still NO details

I use the "CONTACT HARMON" link to see if they just forgot ....

answer ??

[email protected]
Out of Office: Contact from tom
I am out of the office traveling and emails may be delayed . Thank you.

they sure don't make it easy ..:(

4313B
10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
they sure don't make it easy ..:(They're a HUGE corporation. I have zero confidence in their knowing which body part is doing what at any given moment. I think you simply have to go with the flow when interacting with them. The whole is definitely less than the sum of the parts.

4313B
10-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, that's the Crown campus there in Elkhart.

Mr. Widget
10-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah, that's the Crown campus there in Elkhart....and as bad as Seawolf's customer support has been in this case, as a dealer we have found the Elkhart support to be quite good. Unfortunately JBL Synthesis and the rest of the Harman's "High Performance Audio/Video" is getting reorganized... again! They are changing it to "Harman Luxury Audio Group" and it will be managed in Northridge. I say unfortunate because it seems that with every change things get pretty screwed up at least for a while. Time will tell...

Widget

Titanium Dome
10-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Yep, it's the good ol' Harman LAG.