PDA

View Full Version : L-65's Impressive

Uncle Paul
10-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I heard a pair of these for the first time tonight while auditioning an amp, and I was very impressed. Nothing lacking in them at all and very musical. I really didn't expect them to be this good after some of the things I've read. No shrillness, no lack of or artificial sounding bass - everything was just right, and the music just sparkled.

Audiobeer
10-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I've always enjoyed them when they are right. Good tight bass, midrange better than fair. Some think the tweeter is just a bit forward but I really appreciated the sound.

markd51
10-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Double your pleasure, here's four of them! (L-65 Jubal) Yep, I still have them, they're sadly currently sitting in their factory boxes. My stand-ins currently, are two mint 4430 monitors.
Mark

markd51
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Same system, but current day, and some minor changes. A different Phono Stage (Sutherland PhD), an SRA Iso-Base V-3.0 for the VPI Table, VPI SDS Speed Controller, and some considerable mods to the Table.

Think of the 4430 as a L-65 Jubal on steroids. Similar high quality of sound, similar house sound, definitely no mistaking they are JBLs, just a bit more than what the Jubal possesses.
Mark

svollmer
10-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Same system, but current day, and some minor changes. A different Phono Stage (Sutherland PhD), an SRA Iso-Base V-3.0 for the VPI Table, VPI SDS Speed Controller, and some considerable mods to the Table.

Think of the 4430 as a L-65 Jubal on steroids. Similar high quality of sound, similar house sound, definitely no mistaking they are JBLs, just a bit more than what the Jubal possesses.
Mark

Beautiful system! And the Gene Krupa Slingerland set is KILLER! :applaud:

I'll pull out some of my old GK on Verve vinyl this weekend.

Hertzz
11-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I heard a pair of these for the first time tonight while auditioning an amp, and I was very impressed. Nothing lacking in them at all and very musical. I really didn't expect them to be this good after some of the things I've read. No shrillness, no lack of or artificial sounding bass - everything was just right, and the music just sparkled.

They do sound great. I also enjoy my L112's.

svollmer
11-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Moderators: Can we move this to another thread and have a "drum talk" thread? :applaud:

Mr. Widget
11-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Moderators: Can we move this to another thread and have a "drum talk" thread? :applaud:Moved here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?32035-The-Drum-Thread&p=322877#post322877
Set up everyone who participated in it with OT access.

Widget

svollmer
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks Widget!