PDA

View Full Version : 4311B based American vintage stereo system

Bern1
10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks to all on this forum for all the help I received while I was doing the research to build this system.

It went like this: I lost control of what used to be my stereo system because it is in the living room of our house, which just happens to be where my wife has her computer....

So I decided to build a new system in my studio/music room. I had always wanted a pair of 4311B JBL's so I started with those. Then I decided I wanted all American built components from the same era to complete the system. Further, I wanted the whole thing to cost less than $1000. Mission accomplished!

Table: AR XA with vintage Shure ED 91 cartridge
Preamp: Bottlehead original design Foreplay with Anticipation upgrade
Power: Crown PS 200

The table has a Radio Design Labs phono preamp stuck to the back of it, which is the only "modern" component (still US made.) I custom built all the cables, using Canare L-4E6S Star cable and suggestions from the Bottlehead forum regarding shielding.

Thanks to Mr. Widget for the Foreplay kit and Truiumph Don for the Crown PS 200. Here are a few pics!

Audiobeer
10-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Outstanding! Not only do you have a nice system but it is truly a system that in fact will only appreciate in value for as long as you enjoy it. :applaud:

Bern1
10-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I'm really enjoying listening to it! Debating about whether to update to a a modern cartridge. Not sure if the table warrants it....any thoughts from vinyl fans? The guy I talked to at Needle Doctor said he wouldn't put anything better than a Sumiko Pearl on it since it's the stock arm on the XA. I was thinking more along the lines of the Shure 97, this being an American project and all.....

SEAWOLF97
10-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks, I'm really enjoying listening to it! Debating about whether to update to a a modern cartridge. Not sure if the table warrants it....any thoughts from vinyl fans? The guy I talked to at Needle Doctor said he wouldn't put anything better than a Sumiko Pearl on it since it's the stock arm on the XA. I was thinking more along the lines of the Shure 97, this being an American project and all.....

sounds like a good, capable, enjoyable system ... I've always thot that "gear of an era, sounds best together" ....and agree that a high end cart may not be justified ....seems like the M91ED was the XA's contemporary , and would guess that the choice of a M97 could work out well.

Krunchy
10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
sounds like a good, capable, enjoyable system ... I've always thot that "gear of an era, sounds best together" ....and agree that a high end cart may not be justified ....seems like the M91ED was the XA's contemporary , and would guess that the choice of a M97 could work out well.

+1 :)

Nice system Bern1, enjoy!

Bern1
10-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I agree with the general assessment of the cartridge situation, I'll leave well enough alone at present. There are so many ways to "improve" this system but....it is what it is: a fairly old tech set up, which is what I wanted. I'll go listen to some more records now!

Cheers all!

Bernie

Triumph Don
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
I am so happy you like the Crown. Told you it was a nice one, eh? Funny, I was using it with a pair of 4311B's I was restoring!

I recently [9-10 months ago] bought 2 new Shure M97xE's off the 'net for $86. I am very happy. Just a happy guy I guess!

Whole lot for less than $1000. Will sound and look great for YEARS. Look what you can buy for $1000 new.