PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 5235

ngccglp
10-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Hi,

Just bought the 5235 with 250 hz card for my 4350. I noticed from the manual that XLR pin 3 is +ve. If my pre amp and power amps are all pin 2 +ve, does it mean that the final output is still in phase ?

Or do i need to fabricate interconnects to switch pin 2 +ve to pin 3 +ve?

Thanks

grumpy
10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Could do that.
Could leave it be (this may disturb some readers).
Could swap speaker leads.

The justifications for doing this (that I can think of) would be if you were having custom interconnects being built anyway, if the amp mfg recommended a certain connection when using unbalanced inputs regarding signal pins, or if you were using certain, esoteric, single-ended amps that could sound 'different' if driven with 'absolute phase' inverted. My quotes are intentional as these seem to be very passionate, and often subjective areas for some.

Eaulive
10-01-2011, 12:08 PM
if driven with 'absolute phase' inverted. My quotes are intentional as these seem to be very passionate, and often subjective areas for some.

I prefer "polarity" myself since phase is inherently relative :D;)

dubkarma
01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi,

Just bought the 5235 with 250 hz card for my 4350. I noticed from the manual that XLR pin 3 is +ve. If my pre amp and power amps are all pin 2 +ve, does it mean that the final output is still in phase ?

Or do i need to fabricate interconnects to switch pin 2 +ve to pin 3 +ve?

Thanks

I'm using the same crossover with an 800 Hz card and noticed the same info from the manual. I also noticed that my 5235 seems to have been assembled—or reassembled—upside down. That is, if you open the top, what you see is the bottom of the circuit board with no components visible. And when the front panel is right side up, the XLRs on the back are upside down. Anyone noticed this irregularity on their 5235?