PDA

View Full Version : After having DIY 1400's Array's for a few months.........

JuniorJBL
09-18-2011, 09:20 AM
My impressions of said speaker!

I will start by saying these are a real pleasure to listen to.

First off what did I use:

A Citation 7.4 cab with an LE14H-1. Tops are SAMHF-1's. Built CCed 1400 array xo's and I was off and running.

It is being powered by a McIntosh MC602 with an Adcom GFP-750 for a pre and a Sony X77ES as my CD/DAC.

For the first week or so it was really kind of difficult to listen to as it felt that it (the sound) was WAY over the top.
What I mean by that is I have never owned any horns other than my basic e-waves that I built, so I was not prepared for the amount of detailed information that I was hearing.
So after my adjustment phase I then began to listen with a better understanding of what I have.

First off these are very smooth. If anything ever did not sound like a horn then this is very close.
I have always been a cone guy but things have changed around here!:D

I compare these to my B&W Signature 800's and the 1400's just sound more dynamic than any cone.
I played a pair of B&W CM-4's ( a respectable little 2.5 way) during this test time of the 1400's, and a different openness and clarity is abundantly aparent to the 1400 vs any other speaker that I have. And to belive there is an upgrade I can do?:eek: Just add "Be" dia's and off you go.
Being 3+ months of listening I could hardly go back to listening to much less. The only thing I would like to add is a Levinson 38,380..S... etc pre.

Well I was building these for my theater (with 1200 Fe's for woofs) but they will never leave my 2 channel room. I will however continue with my project with the 12's.

These really are a delight to listen to and far outclasses ANY speaker in it's price range IMO. Kind of like a Ferrari, You really do get what you pay for and these speakers really do say this in volumes!!:D

Here is a pick taken by an AK-er from a GTG we just had and a link to some more pics.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328621&page=16

pos
09-18-2011, 10:36 AM
For the first week or so it was really kind of difficult to listen to as it felt that it (the sound) was WAY over the top.
:applaud:

What was your econowave setup?

Titanium Dome
09-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Liked the photos. Left you a reply there. :)

JuniorJBL
09-18-2011, 11:55 AM
:applaud:

What was your econowave setup?

The basic with Selenium 220ti's and an le14h-1 and JBL pt horn

4313B
09-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I recognize a fellow or two in those photos.

I'm glad you like them!

JuniorJBL
09-18-2011, 01:50 PM
I recognize a fellow or two in those photos.

I'm glad you like them!

I did not know that you get to the Denver area, If you ever do again let me know and I would be most happy to audition the system even though you have heard better!;)

I am very impressed even compared to a speaker that retails for $20,000:applaud:

martin_wu99
09-19-2011, 06:11 AM
My impressions of said speaker!

I will start by saying these are a real pleasure to listen to.

First off what did I use:

A Citation 7.4 cab with an LE14H-1. Tops are SAMHF-1's. Built CCed 1400 array xo's and I was off and running.

It is being powered by a McIntosh MC602 with an Adcom GFP-750 for a pre and a Sony X77ES as my CD/DAC.

What I mean by that is I have never owned any horns other than my basic e-waves that I built, so I was not prepared for the amount of detailed information that I was hearing.
So after my adjustment phase I then began to listen with a better understanding of what I have.

First off these are very smooth. If anything ever did not sound like a horn then this is very close.
I have always been a cone guy but things have changed around here!:D

I compare these to my B&W Signature 800's and the 1400's just sound more dynamic than any cone.
I played a pair of B&W CM-4's ( a respectable little 2.5 way) during this test time of the 1400's, and a different openness and clarity is abundantly aparent to the 1400 vs any other speaker that I have. And to belive there is an upgrade I can do?:eek: Just add "Be" dia's and off you go.
Being 3+ months of listening I could hardly go back to listening to much less. The only thing I would like to add is a Levinson 38,380..S... etc pre.

Well I was building these for my theater (with 1200 Fe's for woofs) but they will never leave my 2 channel room. I will however continue with my project with the 12's.

These really are a delight to listen to and far outclasses ANY speaker in it's price range IMO. Kind of like a Ferrari, You really do get what you pay for and these speakers really do say this in volumes!!:D

Here is a pick taken by an AK-er from a GTG we just had and a link to some more pics.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=328621&page=16

So beautiful,congratulations!:D

Robh3606
09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
"I will start by saying these are a real pleasure to listen to."

Glad you like them I sure like mine!

Built CCed 1400 array xo's and I was off and running.

Were you able to find the lower coil values or did you have to unwind a .100Uh??

Well I was building these for my theater (with 1200 Fe's for woofs) but they will never leave my 2 channel room.

I have 2 channel set-up as well and that's where mine are staying.

Rob:)

JuniorJBL
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Glad you like them I sure like mine!

Were you able to find the lower coil values or did you have to unwind a .100Uh??

I have 2 channel set-up as well and that's where mine are staying.

Rob:)

With the assistance from your build, may I say "Thank You".
I unwound as you have said. I have an Amprobe LCR meter that I used to measure them.

They are just superb to listen to.:)
Not much on cab building just yet. I have a Cedar storm and garage door to finish for the better half, but this winter should get some progress!