PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Altec speakers

carsdealer
09-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Hi all!

I have a problem, may you help me?

During 2011 in different garage sales I bought 3 couple of budget Altec Lansing speakers named Challenger II model 10, Challenger II model 15 and at last Discover Series model 930.
All came with closed box equipped with Vifa and Peerless components!
All sounds moderate well.

So I have contacted Altec but they said: "what are these strange speakers???"

Anyone has informations, tech specs or reviews?

Thanks and regards

Roberto

louped garouv
09-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi all!

I have a problem, may you help me?

So I have contacted Altec but they said: "what are these strange speakers???"

Anyone has informations, tech specs or reviews?

Thanks and regards

Roberto

It could be that these were models created after the Altec name was bought by another manufacturer -- I think spark-o-matic was one of the holders of the trade name, for at least a brief period of time....

unfortunately, the documentation of the Altec product lines during these periods is often unavailable...

carsdealer
09-30-2011, 08:31 AM
ok ok, but how can an historic company produce many thousands of speakers for many years and then forget everything?

Incredible, we know much more than the Sumerian civilization that speakers of the 80's/ 90's

Roberto:(

Mr. Widget
09-30-2011, 10:17 AM
ok ok, but how can an historic company produce many thousands of speakers for many years and then forget everything?

Incredible, we know much more than the Sumerian civilization that speakers of the 80's/ 90'sIt's really quite simple... Altec Lansing as a company died and blew away decades ago. Others have purchased their name and have used it for a wide range of products... the computer speakers sold today with the Altec name on them are no more an Altec product than anything made by LG.

Widget

grumpy
09-30-2011, 10:35 AM
The links here:

http://altecpro.com/products/vintage/index.htm

the altec-specific web pages (sparse), and what kind folks can recall and are
willing to share, is about all there is in terms of reference material.

carsdealer
10-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Thank you Grumpy!

Have you tried the connection? That site is not accessible:banghead:

I think I'll be back to listen to my L112s, at least I know what they are

however, I try again with the site.....

Roberto

grumpy
10-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Yes. But it appears to be down at the moment. :shrug:

carsdealer
10-07-2011, 08:36 AM
It's really quite simple... Altec Lansing as a company died and blew away decades ago. Others have purchased their name and have used it for a wide range of products... the computer speakers sold today with the Altec name on them are no more an Altec product than anything made by LG.

Widget

Thank you Widget!

well....so Altec is really dead.....:(

Roberto

ps. San Francisco! nice town, I was there in 1994! with a rented buttery Buick Park Avenue I drove 12000 miles across west:applaud: